Tire of new MS3s+ scraping the shell

Hi guys,

i just got my new msuper3 s+ 1600 wh

Everything is perfect, except the tire seems to be distorted to the right. When I make a hard turn to the right, or if I stand on the only right leg, the tire scrapes the right face of the shell.

I tried to deinflate the tire then tried to check everything before reinflating, still the same problem... check the picture below to understand, the space left on the left is far more important than the right one., it is like the tire was not centered in the shell... could be dangerous at high speeds, huh?

Any idea of how to fix this?

Thanks

UTB8t0CrjVfFXKJk43Otq6xIPFXan.jpg

Definitely not normal. Slight offset would be okay, but that is not slight. I would contact the seller first to make sure you won't have to do any extra work, and that you wouldn't void the warranty. If the seller refuses to do anything about it, I would take it apart and make sure all parts are seated properly, and especially the frame being properly aligned by the 6 bolts on either side.

I haven't disassembled an Msuper, but from what I've seen, all EUC frames are connected to the motor pedal arms with 6 bolts per side.

This is not normal, and you should not accept the seller saying so. Way too much deviation from where it should be.

I don't remember what exactly or where it was, but there was a discussion here where this was the result of a missing washer or some other defect (from factory, I guess). Basically something that will be a problem if it isn't fixed.

More people need to see this so someone who knows more can tell you more. Maybe also make a new thread with a better title like "New msuper V3s+ tire is offset to the side, what is the problem?" or so.

9 hours ago, batiti93 said:

I asked my seller and he told me it was quite normal that there was nothing to be worried about...

Thats nonsense from your seller....looking at your photo this seams like an axle defect or something...

I have no clue how a tire/wheel can get this much to the right as it centered in the middle of the shell.

Perhaps one of the pedals is bent!!

10 hours ago, batiti93 said:

I asked my seller and he told me it was quite normal that there was nothing to be worried about...

That's not normal. Your seller is just telling you that to avoid have to give you a new one. For the amount of money that you paid, I would demand a replacement.

Gotway has quality control issues and none of us Gotway owners should expect Apple levels of quality, unfortunately. But there comes a point where the poor quality is even unacceptable for a Gotway. Yours is such a case.

Yes there is definitely something wrong. A axle spacer or shim is missing or out of place. The tire shouldn't be close enough to rub the shell. Its a brand new wheel you shouldn't have to mess with it. The seller should help u

okay thanks guys I will see, I created another topic with better title as meepmeepmayer suggested...I tried to look inside the wheel, through the little spaces ont the left and right sides, there does not seem to miss anything, the left side and right side are symmetric.

1 hour ago, batiti93 said:

okay thanks guys I will see, I created another topic with better title as meepmeepmayer suggested...I tried to look inside the wheel, through the little spaces ont the left and right sides, there does not seem to miss anything, the left side and right side are symmetric.

The pedal brackets are attached to the motor axle. The shell (what @mrelwood called 'EUC frames') is then attached to the pedal brackets.

Therefore the only items that are directly attached to the motor/tire are the pedal brackets. So either the spacers that separate the pedal brackets from the motor hub are incorrect or the axle is somehow installed in the motor incorrectly.

Each pedal bracket is separated from the motor hub by one thick and one thin washer. If instead, one thick washer plus two thin washers was used on one bracket, and only a thick washer was on the other pedal bracket, that would result in the shell being shifted to one side. It's either that or the axle itself is asymmetrically installed in the motor (not user fixable).

I can't think of any other possible causes.

34 minutes ago, batiti93 said:

Can I tear the axle down?

by looking the spaces , I actually see that there are two washers on each side a thick and thin one. There don't seem to be a missing one and a side that has more washers than the other

The thin and thick washers appear to be what Gotway uses on all of their wheels. So yours looks normal. This makes me think that the axle is not installed symmetrically in the motor. I'm assuming that your shell is not warped or bent in some way that is making it look offset.

If the axle is not symmetrical you should be able to see that one pedal bracket is further from the motor hub than the other bracket. If this is the case then there is nothing you can do but to replace the motor or cut away the shell. Either alternative is not acceptable for a new wheel.

Hopefully someone else will give you a second opinion. Maybe @KingSong69?

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If the axle is not symmetrical you should be able to see that one pedal bracket is further from the motor hub than the other bracket. If this is the case then there is nothing you can do but to replace the motor or cut away the shell. Either alternative is not acceptable for a new wheel.

Plus one on that...What also can be, that just one of the pedalarms is bent very strong, or that one of the pedalarms is installed wrong...but at all...you should see that! Everything must look very symmetrical?!

it is bought on aliexpress... seller is "travalshop" something...

that's why before opening a dispute or something, i want to clearly understand what could be the problem... i've got some questions for you guys, please!!

1/ what is the maximum "normal" offset in milimeters?

2/ have you got any picture/videos of the motor teardown with nuts off to this the axle. Is the axle soldered on the motorwheel?as Marty said, maybe the axle is not centered on the motor, that would explain the offset.

thanks

1) The distance between the tire thread and the shell is 6mm on my MSuper

2) Here's an MSuper tear-down video that may help

The ACM, MSuper, and Monster are the same in terms of how the bracket mounts to the motor. @Rehab1 has a video that shows the ACM.

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

1) The distance between the tire thread and the shell is 6mm on my MSuper

okay, but... what about the distance between  the middle of the tire (the vertical line), and the middle of the shell (vertical line where the both frames of the shell are connected), as I outlined it in my first picture?. what is weird on mine is that this distance (what seems to be called "offset") is different when I compare the front of the wheel and the backward: 2 mm in the front, but 4/5 mm in the back...both to the right side of the shell.

Something is so, so off this transaction. Im not sure how much you saved comparing to Dion@myfunwheels or other sellers, but the headache you're encountering wouldn't be worth for me.  I truly hope you get this sorted out. The wheel is simply Amazing.....

1 minute ago, yourtoys7 said:

Something is so, so off this transaction. Im not sure how much you saved comparing to Dion@myfunwheels or other, but the headache you're encountering wouldn't be worth for me.  I truly hope you get this sorted out. The wheel is simply Amazing.....

What about yours? is middle of tire perfectly aligned with middle of shell? frontward and backward?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The ACM, MSuper, and Monster are the same in terms of how the bracket mounts to the motor. @Rehab1 has a video that shows the ACM.

Ladies and gentlemen the above Rehab1 ACM assembly video, 'part 15 of a 50 part series', was hacked! No way did the official Rehab1 beat the pedal hanger onto the axle using just a screwdriver! Rehab1 is a highly skilled mechanic and only uses custom slotted high grade steel sockets to torque his ACM axle nuts. The imposter used some prehistoric box end wrench during this tightening process! The official Rehab1 is now drowning his sorrows downing multiple margaritas! :facepalm: :crying: 

3 hours ago, batiti93 said:

it is bought on aliexpress... seller is "travalshop" something...

Ugh.  @Marty Backe...didn't we just purchase our GW Mtens from the Green Tea travel and rip off shop? It's the last time I listen to you!  ;)

Archived