Plantars Fasciitis

Circuitmage

After 2 weeks of almost continuous use as a substitute to my 1 mile walk to work (1 missed one day and all I could think about was having my EUC again), I can definitely say this has helped ease the pain in my foot.

I have known people with this affliction that have a) been relegated to pain medication and walking sticks, b ) had their doctor just tell them not to walk as much or c) require surgery.

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

After 2 weeks of almost continuous use as a substitute to my 1 mile walk to work (1 missed one day and all I could think about was having my EUC again), I can definitely say this has helped ease the pain in my foot.

I have known people with this affliction that have a) been relegated to pain medication and walking sticks, b ) had their doctor just tell them not to walk as much or c) require surgery.

I had that once, got it because I took up running and over did it for too long.  Had to stop running.  Every morning when I got up, had that stabbing pain in my heels for a short time, that would kind of go away after walking a bit and getting warmed up.  It took almost two years for the morning pain to go away, very slow to heal.  Luckily for me I didn't get a severe case of it.  

Good to hear the EUC is working well for you, hopefully it will give you faster healing.

20 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

I am having the same experience. Got plantars around January and it got steadily worse until I cut my walking way back. I leave in an urban environment and walk everywhere. I got an EUC for many reasons but one of them was to cut back on all the walking. It has totally helped me too. Still got that morning pain, hoping that clears up in less than two years! Really glad to hear you've had a relief in pain, it can be very aggravating.

I have planters and Achilles tendonosis (not tendonitis) which is directly proportional to the number of miles I run and the activities I do. I do heel drops and tendon self massage but while it never gets bad it never seems to go away. Like it can feel pretty bad, I'll do twenty heel drops and it's not there anymore.

Planters and tendonosis feels like a condition to me, I deal with it but it never completely heals. I did take like six months off to absolutely no effect.

Heel drops, man, heel drops...

I had this condition many years ago, but solved it short term by upgrading my running shoes (at the time, to Brooks Beast), and wearing orthotic-like sandals (quality Birkenstock copies) around the home instead of just bare feet. For dress shoes, I had soft orthotics made (custom molded to my feet) which were surprisingly affordable at the time (about $100).

IIRC, the theory was that plantars is caused by torsion stress (overpronation, etc.) in the foot which stresses the tendon attachment point (not the exact medical term) at the bottom of the heel. Footgear with stiff midsoles reduce/ prevent the excessive twisting of the tendons during running; wearing sandals that provide good support can help mitigate the same motion. It worked, and combined with significant weight loss over time, it is completely gone and has not recurred in a decade.

Nowadays there are several athletic shoe manufacturers which sell "motion-control" running/jogging/walking shoes. Of course, they tend to cost a bit more and are generally heavier. I stopped buying Brooks Beast as the uppers always wore through in less than a year's time. The current year's model is also pricey (previous years are available at a discount), and their competitors offer the same or better for less.

Yeah, I have had problems for over a year.

I was not really thinking about my foot problem when I got into the EUC. I was considering it as a substitute for walking though, as I am often rushing to the train to get there in time to get a seat. And walking in 100 degree Texas heat is kind of a drag.

As far as treatments, there are several stretches suggested on the interwebs, along the lines of what my doctor suggested about 6 months after this started. I have found 2 not so well known treatments that are very effective;

1) Rolling the leg muscles daily. This help tremendously. The more you roll your leg on one of those small round foam (or similar) cylinders, the more it seems to help. This is also good for ANY kind of leg pain.

2) Herbal essence oils. My wife suggested "Deep Blue" and I was surprised to find it did help some. There are many different kinds and I don't use it much though.

And, after switching soles (not Dr. Scholes, but use Spenco!, per doctor's orders), my right foot healed 95% within a few weeks. My left foot still has some problems.

Now 3 weeks avoiding the 1 mile daily walk on cement by riding my EUC, my left foott IS much much better. Hoping this helps it heal long term. 

Archived