So how safe is this wheel now?

Paddylaz

I think this is my first time on the Rockwheel section of this forum....

I know there have been horror stories in the past, but what's the current status amongst owners/those in the know about the state of things now?

Is the GT16 the top of the range right now or is there something incoming soon?

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Safety: So far, no bad reports or reports of obvious weaknesses.

Upcoming: I believe they are working on a 18 incher, but as the GT16 is brand new, don't expect a new 16 incher soon... maybe a revision. Maybe...

It does look good.......

35 minutes ago, Tomek said:

that's the most exhaustive review i found: https://ecodrift.ru/wiki-article/rockwheel-gt16-review/. it seems that's the latest version. can anyone confirm? to sum it up, really good performance of internals, finishing and details of terrible quality. i'm hesitant of buying one, but will probably pass.

yeah that exposed wiring etc looks terrible

53 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

yeah that exposed wiring etc looks terrible

to me the biggest deterrents are the pedals (no magnets, scratching the shell), poor ergonomy of the cushion (although you probably stop minding it over time), and the lack of waterproofing and coating of the pcb. the issue of scatcat from the other thread is hopefully resolved in more recent models.

still, the agile, fast wheel like rockwheel is exactly what I'm after. let's see what gw tesla brings when it's out (although i'm not too fond of the looks of it so far)

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That was due to mechanical damage in the motor (metal chips) if I recall correctly. From one old, second hand model. Not necessarily comparable to the current(newer) revisions.

You didn't read the thread very carefully. The found metal chips were from a broken washer, but they did not cause the problem. Ah, and the board was loose, but that didn't cause the problem either, or maybe it did, we don't know for sure. 

I know, in the current version all problems are solved (no, I am not serious but sadly joking).

On 18/08/2017 at 3:10 PM, Paddylaz said:

I know there have been horror stories in the past, but what's the current status amongst owners/those in the know about the state of things now?

In France this wheel has become quite popular recently and among owners no one is complaining. 14 users on the french forum and very good feedback:

https://www.espritroue.fr/engin?modeleId=232

My own long feedback there (in french sorry):

https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/3013-rockwheel-gt16-retour-dexpérience/

18 hours ago, Mono said:

I feel so bad to be the one giving the bad news, but I can't help it. 

again, it seems like this problem is limited to the initial, version 1 models only... or it could be that oldest wheels break first and problems of version 2 will start surfacing soon. well, if you buy (any) wheel that has been on the market for less than a year, you implicitly agree to be a beta tester.

10 hours ago, Tomek said:

again, it seems like this problem is limited to the initial, version 1 models only... 

or not, this time it is apparently a brand new version 2 model oscillating...

Don't know if this has a real relevance or can be taken as a hint in regard of safety of the GT16, but @EcoDrift (i believe he is the shop/site owner or at least somehow affiliated with them) from airwheel.ru has put a warning on their webshop site for the GT16 (https://airwheel.ru/monokoleso-rockwheel-gt16-858wh/):

'In connection with the deterioration in the quality of Rockwheel products, we do not recommend this model to purchase' (google translated)

The russian site is not really up to date as they show a photo of Rockwheel GT 16 v1 (different pads) so I guess they had problems with v1 units. Nothing new.

v2 don't seem to have these problems.

OK, let me chip in.

The GT16 I own started out as an early model (first batch). These had problems that ain't there anymore, namely: weaker shafts, early model control board, and different cabling and so on. The early models also had almost no safety features, for instance no tilt-back or warnings at 80% power and much weaker warning sounds.

I got a new motor and new control board, and now I consider it pretty safe and rather reliable. What I did that is not standard, was apply conformal coating to the board, thereby making it much less prone to water-damage.

I routinely run at 20-23mph while above 75% battery, and 18-20mph while above 50% without problems. I could probably push it to 27 or so while the battery's full, but I really don't feel like going that fast.

There are some QC problems with Rockwheel, but no more than Gotway AFAIK. The things I've heard about are strange skipping noises when breaking hard and too deep holes for the bolts in the pedal arms. But those are exceptions, not general problems.

Overall I'm very satisfied with my GT16.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived