EUC Tool Rental

Rehab1

I have been contacted by a number of members asking for custom sockets used to maintain the tightness of the axle nuts. I am honored that the socket I developed for @Marty Backe's GW Monster was respectfully received and accomplished the task it was designed for. This has led to requests from other members asking to  purchase their own sockets. Being I manufacture custom pediatric orthopedic appliances I unfortunately would not have the time to individually fabricate sockets for member's but I do have an idea.

I am willing to produce a number of sockets for the various EUC models but I am not interested in selling them for a profit.  The idea of renting out the sockets out at no charge would be the best option but I am asking for member's input on how the logistics would be handled. My thoughts and a few concerns:

1) Rent out the custom sockets free of charge to am EUC member with an established method to pay for the shipping costs both ways. This could be accomplished by using a paypal account. 

2) Keeping track of returns could be an issue if someone holds onto a socket longer than say 2 weeks. Also would a deposit be necessary so the socket is returned in a timely manner?

3) Would it be prudent for a wheel distributor to become involved in stocking the sockets and renting them out at no cost to a member but still charging for shipping?  This paradigm could possibly build a distributor's customer base by offering the service. Notice how I carefully danced around @Jason McNeil' name so he would not feel obligated. ;)

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I am willing to produce a number of sockets for the various EUC models but I am not interested in selling them for a profit.  The idea of renting out the sockets out at no charge would be the best option but I am asking for member's input on how the logistics would be handled. My thoughts and a few concerns:

I cannot help feel that keeping track of what I would imagine is a relatively low cost item (if manufactured in quantity and compared with two way postage costs) compared with selling them outright to users (who I assume will need them several times over the life of their machine?) might make hiring them out a bit of a nause after a while?

I wonder if getting a third party (possibly even Gotway themselves) to manufacture a batch might not be a better option?

52 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I have been contacted by a number of members asking for custom sockets used to maintain the tightness of the axle nuts. I am honored that the socket I developed for @Marty Backe's GW Monster was respectfully received and accomplished the task it was designed for. This has led to requests from other members asking to  purchase their own sockets. Being I manufacture custom pediatric orthopedic appliances I unfortunately would not have the time to individually fabricate sockets for member's but I do have an idea.

1) Rent out the custom sockets free of charge to am EUC member with an established method to pay for the shipping costs both ways. This could be accomplished by using a paypal account. 

2) Keeping track of returns could be an issue if someone holds onto a socket longer than say 2 weeks. Also would a deposit be necessary so the socket is returned in a timely manner?

3) Would it be prudent for a wheel distributor to become involved in stocking the sockets and renting them out at no cost to a member but still charging for shipping?  This paradigm could possibly build a distributor's customer base by offering the service. Notice how I carefully danced around @Jason McNeil' name so he would not feel obligated. ;)

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

Points 1 and 2 i find an fantastic idea!!! I dont know if a deposit is needed, perhaps we can do that over Reputation numbers and/or Forum activity....

For Point 3, i cant speak for the sellers, but my view is we could get this organized as Forum members Ourself.

Perhaps by a "pined" threat under Mods/Repairs, where we always see where a tool is Floating around!

Great Idea!!!

(And btw.: i thought about asking for a V3 socket, also :-) )

17 minutes ago, HETPE3B said:

Can you post a picture of how the socket looks like?

36419268916_7910615c7c_b.jpg

And here you can see the socket being used

2 hours ago, Keith said:

I cannot help feel that keeping track of what I would imagine is a relatively low cost item (if manufactured in quantity and compared with two way postage costs) compared with selling them outright to users (who I assume will need them several times over the life of their machine?) might make hiring them out a bit of a nause after a while?

I wonder if getting a third party (possibly even Gotway themselves) to manufacture a batch might not be a better option?

My gut tells me that beyond a handful of 'orders' there wouldn't be many of these sold.

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My gut tells me that beyond a handful of 'orders' there wouldn't be many of these sold.

Yes, and because of that it is mostly usable for us freaks/enthusiast....a "renting" and sending system on case of need would be perfect!

I actually have paid a good amount of money to maintenance, just because i dont have the tools to set up the axle nut!

So i would also help organizing by doing this idea!!! or spend money to keep it going....or help pro-active!

Suggestion:

Have a set of sockets for 16,18,22 inch wheel and that set each one in the states, in europe and one in south east asia incl. australia and let this set rotate in case of need on the kontinent/region....

I would be happy to be the "home" for the europe set ;-)

In case of future needed "community tools" we can make "the tool set" bigger....Thinking of Valve extension or something like this!

But perhaps @Rehab1 knows more about where the tools are needed and if there is a demand at all?

Maybe Joey Serrin can fabricate a bunch of them (in between making replacement anti-rotational inserts :whistling:) as it appears he has access to metalworking tools.

Unless maybe if @Rehab1 has some spare time on a weekend, he could buy  a bunch of them to do all at once.  There's nothing wrong with charging a fair profit for one's time and effort.  Maybe work out how much time it takes to make one, factor in shipping costs, and come to a EUC forum member price.  Eg. If the socket costs $15, shipping $20, time $20, maybe charge $55?

57 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

For the ACM they must be exactly 21mm or you risk rounding over the nuts. The Monster requires 24mm. These sizes don't appear to match oxygen sensor socket sizes.

Those other sockets you show would not fit.

If you don't want to disconnect the Motor and Hall Sensor cables you're pretty much stuck with crafting your own socket.

Central Pneumatic® 68832 3" Composite Air Cut-Off ToolI think all you need is one of these, a vise, and an air supply.  You could buy the socket, and do it yourself or go to a fabrication shop or welding shop with the photo of the slot you want.  At Harbor Freight this is about $15.  Be careful, wear gloves and eye protection!

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Central Pneumatic® 68832 3" Composite Air Cut-Off ToolI think all you need is one of these, a vise, and an air supply.  You could buy the socket, and do it yourself or go to a fabrication shop or welding shop with the photo of the slot you want.  At Harbor Freight this is about $15.  Be careful, wear gloves and eye protection!

If you don't have a grinder like this you probably don't have the corresponding air compressor. @Rehab1 said he also used a die-grinder. It's clearly doable, but most people don't have the bevy of power tools that make a job like this easy.

10 hours ago, Keith said:

That is an excellent idea! 

9 hours ago, KingSong69 said:
10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Points 1 and 2 i find an fantastic idea!!! I dont know if a deposit is needed, perhaps we can do that over Reputation numbers and/or Forum activity....

For Point 3, i cant speak for the sellers, but my view is we could get this organized as Forum members Ourself.

Perhaps by a "pined" threat under Mods/Repairs, where we always see where a tool is Floating around!

Great Idea!!!

Your ideas are certainly be feasible.:cheers: Could you please discuss with the other moderators?

9 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

And btw.: i thought about asking for a V3 socket, also :-) )

It can be arranged;)

7 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Have a set of sockets for 16,18,22 inch wheel and that set each one in the states, in europe and one in south east asia incl. australia and let this set rotate in case of need on the kontinent/region....

I would be happy to be the "home" for the europe set ;-)

Very kind of you! I never thought about all of the continents/regions a tool rotation would encompass. 

7 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

But perhaps @Rehab1 knows more about where the tools are needed and if there is a demand at all?

Unfortunately those logistics are way beyond my purview. 

3 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Thank you for the research! I'm just not sure a 3/8" drive socket would hold up under 'Marty's Massive Arm' torque.   :huh:

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Central Pneumatic® 68832 3" Composite Air Cut-Off Tool

I think all you need is one of these, a vise, and an air supply.  You could buy the socket, and do it yourself or go to a fabrication shop or welding shop with the photo of the slot you want.  At Harbor Freight this is about $15.  Be careful, wear gloves and eye protection!

46 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you don't have a grinder like this you probably don't have the corresponding air compressor. @Rehab1 said he also used a die-grinder. It's clearly doable, but most people don't have the bevy of power tools that make a job like this easy.

Using a hand cut off wheel is possible. I should have took a video of the entire fabrication process. Not rocket science but having the right tools is very helpful.

First I used a 2 hp metal cut off machine and made 8 parallel slices to begin creating the slot based on @Marty Backe exact measurements.  I then cut those metal veins diagonally to splinter them off the socket. This  left a jagged slot that require machining to create a smooth surface. We have a 5 HP compressor that was able to maintain the PSI while using a high speed die grinder to smooth and bevel the edges of the slot. The whole process took me 1/2 hour.

I am sure a tool and die company could easily make up a jig to hold the socket in place and then use a mill or CNC machine to create dozens of sockets in a short period of time. We just need to determine what is the supply and demand for such a tool.

Archived