What is actual ninebot power adapter output?

Templar-kun

Mine Ninebot One A1 stopped charging for some reason. While I think the problem is with battery, I checked Ninebot power adapter if it's working. It's working, but instead of 63V I'm getting only 50.1V from it. Strange...
Can someone please check what you actually getting from your power adapter. Is it 63V? I want to know if mine is defective. 

power.jpg

output.jpg

23 minutes ago, Templar-kun said:

Thank you! I guess I need new adapter then.

Or you could try something like in 

maybe just the trimpot is off - but would be quite some deviation you have. Presumably too much for just an adjustment...

2 hours ago, Templar-kun said:

Can someone please check what you actually getting from your power adapter. Is it 63V?

Mine is a 120W 61V charger.  The model number is different from yours, also it is a white case.  It  seems that you could use any model ninebot charger, as long as it puts out at least 61Volts.  You might find one on Amazon,  or SpeedyfeetUK.  The model number on mine is XVE-6100190

2 hours ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

It is better than damaged battery. The price of the adapter is 60+, the battery is 300+

It IS my new battery I purchased three days ago :)  My old one was malfunctioning, so I ordered a new one, and now nothing works at all. I hope the battery is all right... or I need a third one...

4 hours ago, Chriull said:

Or you could try something like in 

maybe just the trimpot is off - but would be quite some deviation you have. Presumably too much for just an adjustment...

Hmm... but I don't think I can open the adapter, it looks glued or something.

24 minutes ago, Templar-kun said:

My old one was malfunctioning, so I ordered a new one, and now nothing works at all.

Out of curiosity as much as anything, in what way was your old battery malfunctioning- could it have been your charger all along?

If not, did you do anything in replacing the battery that might have resulted in damaging the charger, for example reverse the charging wires. 

As a telecom engineer for many years the one thing that helped me keep my sanity in difficult faults was reminding myself that it was damn unlikely that there were two faults at the same time (unless the building had been struck by lightning- in which case it was REALLY easy - everything was faulty ?)

I don't suppose your Ninebot got struck by lightning ?

28 minutes ago, Templar-kun said:

It IS my new battery I purchased three days ago :)  My old one was malfunctioning, so I ordered a new one, and now nothing works at all. I hope the battery is all right... or I need a third one...

Hmm... but I don't think I can open the adapter, it looks glued or something.

You already said the charger is only putting out 50.1 volts.  I think you just need a charger.

There is also a sleep mode that these apparently go into.  Looking at the battery pack it says 54.3V on them so I would imagine that the power adapter voltage should be higher than 50V, but 63V seems high?  Is that the charger than came with the wheel from the factory?  Maybe @electricpen can tell us what the charger specifications are that came with his wheel.

EDIT:  Oh I see that @Ch.Eng.62 already mentioned his charger is a 63V one.

1 minute ago, Keith said:

Out of curiosity as much as anything, in what way was your old battery malfunctioning- could it have been your charger all along?

If not, did you do anything in replacing the battery that might have resulted in damaging the charger, for example reverse the charging wires. 

As a telecom engineer for many years the one thing that helped me keep my sanity in difficult faults was reminding myself that it was damn unlikely that there were two faults at the same time (unless the building had been struck by lightning- in which case it was REALLY easy - everything was faulty ?)

The first battery was just acting weird. One day it can work just fine, the other day my Ninebot app was going crazy showing "red attention battery malfunction notifications", third day my Ninebot was driving at limited speed. Random stuff. I never tested charger at that time.

This new battery had no issues like previous had, but just stopped charging... 

It's pretty hard to mess things up. I mean, there are two plugs that connect battery, and there is only one way to connect them. Charger was always laying on my floor waiting for my Ninebot. 

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There is also a sleep mode that these apparently go into.  Looking at the battery pack it says 54.3V on them so I would imagine that the power adapter voltage should be higher than 50V, but 63V seems high?  Is that the charger than came with the wheel from the factory?  Maybe @electricpen can tell us what the charger specifications are that came with his wheel.

Yeap, 54.3V

8 minutes ago, Templar-kun said:

The first battery was just acting weird. One day it can work just fine, the other day my Ninebot app was going crazy showing "red attention battery malfunction notifications", third day my Ninebot was driving at limited speed. Random stuff. I never tested charger at that time.

This new battery had no issues like previous had, but just stopped charging... 

It's pretty hard to mess things up. I mean, there are two plugs that connect battery, and there is only one way to connect them. Charger was always laying on my floor waiting for my Ninebot. 

After looking at the second photo more closely, I noticed the charge plug is female, and the aligning groove is also female.  What I said earlier is wrong, my Ninebot one E+ has male pins and male aligning ridge on the charger plug.:pooping:  But I think I found your charger on ebay, ordering from China.

25 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

EDIT:  Oh I see that @Ch.Eng.62 already mentioned his charger is a 63V one.

Still, that is good information about the sleep mode.  Even if he needs a new charger, the batteries might already be in sleep mode, and have to be charged the first time in that certain way.

49 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Still, that is good information about the sleep mode.  Even if he needs a new charger, the batteries might already be in sleep mode, and have to be charged the first time in that certain way.

I'm sure it's not sleeping... I rode the wheel for few days, it's "working", just not recharging.

100_1050.thumb.JPG.733d68b4e89bb461450252d9086576a4.JPG

18 minutes ago, Templar-kun said:

I'm sure it's not sleeping... I rode the wheel for few days, it's "working", just not recharging.

That's good, then.  I got this image from @smallexis post hover the pointer on his name and go to the find content option and find the post, or google ninebot generic charger.  I think he sells it for $90.  If you search his posts, I think on the third page there is a lot of interesting info on chargers and how to open and set the voltage.

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Looking at the battery pack it says 54.3V on them so I would imagine that the power adapter voltage should be higher than 50V, but 63V seems high?

Don't get confused about nominal voltage and full voltage. The Ninebots are 15 series cell wheels. One fully charged cell is 4.2V so 15 is 15x4.2=63V. So the charger HAS to reach 63V to fully charge the battery. It should not go any higher than that or it will overcharge the cells (it might go 0.6V higher if the battery is designed with a reverse protection diode in the charging line.)

In terms of power output the Average or Nominal Voltage of a single cell - I.e. Its average voltage under load when being used is 3.6V (or occasionally manufacturers say 3.7V so their batteries sound better!) 15x3.6=54V. Ninebot has split the difference and decided their batteries are nominally  3.62V/cell {15x3.62=54.3V}!

Most of the world will call a 15 cell battery a 54 Volt battery. For some reason the USA, and as far as I can see only the USA, will often call it a 63V battery.

Similarly Watt hour capacity is calculated on nominal voltage (even in the USA!) let us say there are a single set of 15 off 3Ah (3000mAh) cells; then the Wh capacity is 15x3.6x3=162Wh, by calling it 3.7V they might say it is 15x3.7x3=166.5Wh it is NEVER 15x4.2Vx3.

20 hours ago, steve454 said:

100_1050.thumb.JPG.733d68b4e89bb461450252d9086576a4.JPG

That's good, then.  I got this image from @smallexis post hover the pointer on his name and go to the find content option and find the post, or google ninebot generic charger.  I think he sells it for $90.  If you search his posts, I think on the third page there is a lot of interesting info on chargers and how to open and set the voltage.

My charger is not really adapted for a 9B A1 because there is only one battery 155Wh to charge. The original 70W charger is only able to deliver 1.1A in order to respect the speed of load that cells can support without any damage. With a 2A output charger (120W like mine or original 9B1 E charger), it's too high for keeping the good health of cells (of a 155Wh battery)

On 16/08/2017 at 4:58 PM, Templar-kun said:

Mine Ninebot One A1 stopped charging for some reason. While I think the problem is with battery, I checked Ninebot power adapter if it's working. It's working, but instead of 63V I'm getting only 50.1V from it. Strange...
Can someone please check what you actually getting from your power adapter. Is it 63V? I want to know if mine is defective. 

50.1V is too low and there is no use to try to repare your charger.

best price for a new one seems to be here : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/2017-Original-Xiaomi-Mini-Scooter-Charger-Mini-Pro-Charger-Xiaomi-Accessories-Ninebot-nine-hoverboard-charger-segway/32820213265.html?

First of all, thank you everyone for your help! Very friendly community, glad I wrote here :)

My final update on my problem:

I've found a center that sells Ninebot and asked if I can connect my bot to a charger they had, they let me, and... is all working, my bot is charging! Really happy to know that my bot and battery are fine.
They sell the charger and I can get it next day, for a small price of just 83eu... This charger is better be made out of pure gold... 

It's very tempting to buy one on aliexpress for just a half of price. But the one month wait for delivery is killing me (actually, my battery too)...

Chriull is right, maybe it's just a trimpot, time to save my money! I gently open my charger and after a few good look, I find a trimpot. It's a Bochen 3296, ready to be adjusted.

599641cb44853_poweropened.thumb.jpg.c18f7ab8ae96d355ce94c4856eb5d33f.jpg

Before touching anything, I decided to double check my charger's output volts with multimeter. I plug it to an outlet, and... after a second... LED turns off and my charger completely dies. Nothing is left to tweak. (The funny thing, I'm still getting 3V from it :D ). I'm sure I didn't touched anything or damaged it while opening it. So, he must have died by it self. I wish I knew more about electronics. Well, it still was worth a try, I learned new things. 

Some others compoments should be damaged and you couldn't do anything against that.

Anyway with the trimpot, you can go down to 50V from 63V, so the trimpot was not the problem.

Archived