2nd hand 14c Wont connect to app but will to speaker

Stan Onymous

Hey all, I have a 14B travel version of the Kingsong and love it to death, so I picked up a used 14C with the 500w motor and the 520wh battery. It wouldn't charge, so I looked at the charge wires going from the charger port to the brick red battery connector and noticed the polarity was switched on the wires at one of the ends so that the neg connected with the pos at the brick red connector. Having solved that gremlin, I cannot connect it up to the app.

I can find it on my bluetooth phone and iTouch and I can connect to the speakers using both android and apple apps, but cannot find it to connect to the app. This is a second hand unicycle so maybe its only paired with one and wont let go, or maybe my app thinks it is trying to connect to my 14B. I read about the speaker hook up and thats how I figured that out, but have no clue as to the app connectivity.

When I was fixing the charger issue I did notice a loose black wire which I assumed was the Bluetooth antenna bunched together with the charger wires. Would that cause any interference? Is there a way to reset the device from its guts or by using a different means? I have already taken this thing around 10 miles on a journey and it has been fine, but I want to keep a safe eye on temperature, distance, and speed, and want to adjust the ride and speed warnings and pedal lean back features. Would anyone know how to help me? Can @tinawong be of any assistance? I am quite technically proficient and could perform whatever triage is necessary for the little 14C.

2017-08-10_17_07_00.thumb.jpg.e56fe454d6c1bef6cf8e31dbcc1d4d67.jpg

8 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

When I was fixing the charger issue I did notice a loose black wire which I assumed was the Bluetooth antenna bunched together with the charger wires. Would that cause any interference?

I doubt it's the BT-antenna, wasn't able to find a picture showing the whole KS14C mainboard, but usually the wheels use a separate BT-module with the antenna built on the board (zigzagging traces), seen here next to the fan in KS16S:

Kingsong-KS-16S-kontroller-1.jpg

Maybe the module's dead? Most modules I've seen are common, cost a few euros/dollars and available in places like Aliexpress, just take care to compare the module with the ones available to get the correct kind. If it's directly soldered to the board like above, replacing it might be tricky though (Gotways seem to just use pinheaders).

Can @tinawong be of any assistance? I am quite technically proficient and could perform whatever triage is necessary for the little 14C.

IIRC, Tina has left KS, but you could try @Diana@szkingsong.com

26 minutes ago, esaj said:

euros/dollars and available in places like Aliexpress, just take care to compare the module with the ones available to get the correct kind. If it's directly soldered to the board like above, replacing it might be tricky though (G

Even if he changes the bt board....it must then be set up with an serialnumber to work with the app! (with special engineer app)

As music is working i doubt its the BT board?

@Stan Onymous

Can you try with a different phone, perhaps android ? Also it can (perhaps) be that the wheel is to old to work with the new green Ks app?! try getting the old kS app on android (grey one)....

@tinawong cant help you, she is not working for KS anymore!

Edit: allready mentioned, sorry

No other ideas, sorry!

My KS14C board has two bluetooth modules (I think Jason McNeil told me this and a picture is attached).

One of the modules has a black wire soldered to it's trace (zig-zag) antenna.  That wire antennaks14c.thumb.jpg.03262dc75dbafd87abb7072efd2ea661.jpg is routed between the control board and the heat sink it's mounted on (I pulled it out for the picture).

That might suggest that there was some issue in module that has the antenna wire hack.  So, it might be worth playing with how it's routed.

@Jason McNeil is the man! Thank you, I was thinking about that too after noticing that the cover over the power and bluetooth and headlight buttons is out of adjustment. It is so out of whack that I can push next to the buttons towards the center and it will atenuate the buttons. So something may be interfering with some of the funtionality in this area. I will crack it open later tonite and post the results. Thank you for all the leads and knowledge. Every little bit gives a fuller picture. ???

@Stan Onymous, one other thing nobody seems to have mentioned so far: the earlier (I.e. 500W) KS-14C had a blue tooth module for the main board that will not connect to Apple devices, only android. The music Bluetooth connects to an Apple fine, but not the app connection Bluetooth. Has been the one thing that is a pain in the butt with my wheel, I use an iPhone but have to have a cheap android phone just to make changes to my wheel. It also doesn't remember mileage driven, etc.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

blue tooth module for the main board that will not connect to Apple devices, only android.

Thanks @Keith , That explains why the iTouch only sees the speaker and not the 14C. My android phone see both and will even pair with the 14c in the bluetooth, but wont connect in the app. Is there some simple set up step I am missing? Do I just press the bluetooth button once, do I need to press it at all? If it connects in the bluetooth of the phone, why wont the app find it when I search for it? Oh and I do have all the pemissions allowed for it, and I am unable to connect using the old app as well.

9 hours ago, esaj said:

I doubt it's the BT-antenna, wasn't able to find a picture showing the whole KS14C mainboard, but usually the wheels use a separate BT-module with the antenna built on the board (zigzagging traces), seen here next to the fan in KS16S:

Kingsong-KS-16S-kontroller-1.jpg

Maybe the module's dead? Most modules I've seen are common, cost a few euros/dollars and available in places like Aliexpress, just take care to compare the module with the ones available to get the correct kind. If it's directly soldered to the board like above, replacing it might be tricky though (Gotways seem to just use pinheaders).

IIRC, Tina has left KS, but you could try @Diana@szkingsong.com

On the newer board you will notice that the secondary bluetooth antenna is coiled up next to the fan near those fan power wires. That was the information from a previous post on the update from the 500w board to the 800w 14C mainboards. I may have read it wrong, but that was my undstanding

On my 14C, I had to pair from the Android BT settings menu for the speakers, but not for the APP.

The APP comes up with the KS14C serial number, and I touch on that for the connect.

Seems like on the first board I had, it would connect to the app automatically after the first time, but it doesn't do that. I always need to touch on the S/N.

Connecting to the speakers seems to always require some "futzing around" with the buttons on the wheel.  Eventually, I get the audible "power on"  and I can then connect via the Android BT setting to the speakers.

1 hour ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Connecting to the speakers seems to always require some "futzing around" with the buttons on the wheel.  Eventually, I get the audible "power on"  and I can then connect via the Android BT setting to the speakers.

@Stan Onymous, the app Bluetooth comes on automatically when the wheel is powered up and goes off when it is turned off. The music Bluetooth is entirely independent and has to be turned on with the Bluetooth button - whether or not the wheel itself is turned on. I frequently use mine as a Bluetooth speaker when I'm relaxing in the bath ? ?.

As @DaveThomasPilot suggests it does appear at first to be hit and miss, but it does have a proper sequence to turn it on:

• press and hold the Bluetooth button until the blue LED comes on there is also a short "beep".
  • now release the button and immediately give it a second short press.
  • The nice lady will say "Power On" and music Bluetooth is now on.
  • once the blue LED is on a short press of 'lights' button will turn on the front light and back light (brake light brightness)  - unless the wheel is powered up in which case it only turns on the front light - the rear one only comes on when braking or if the sensor sees it is dark - in which case it is the dimmer back light brightness that brightens when braking.
  • a long press on the ' lights' button turns music Bluetooth and manual lights (if on) off.

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever why it is so complicated.

Note: the touch buttons have beneath them soft springs (like the ones in click on/ click off ballpoint pens) soldered to the circuit board beneath them. These can sometimes get moved so they are not actually in the right place for the printed buttons.

• 5 months later...
On 8/12/2017 at 4:53 PM, Keith said:

@Stan Onymous, the app Bluetooth comes on automatically when the wheel is powered up and goes off when it is turned off. The music Bluetooth is entirely independent and has to be turned on with the Bluetooth button - whether or not the wheel itself is turned on. I frequently use mine as a Bluetooth speaker when I'm relaxing in the bath ? ?.

As @DaveThomasPilot suggests it does appear at first to be hit and miss, but it does have a proper sequence to turn it on:

• press and hold the Bluetooth button until the blue LED comes on there is also a short "beep".
  • once the blue LED is on a short press of 'lights' button will turn on the front light and back light (brake light brightness)  - unless the wheel is powered up in which case it only turns on the front light - the rear one only comes on when braking or if the sensor sees it is dark - in which case it is the dimmer back light brightness that brightens when braking.
  • a long press on the ' lights' button turns music Bluetooth and manual lights (if on) off.

Note: the touch buttons have beneath them soft springs (like the ones in click on/ click off ballpoint pens) soldered to the circuit board beneath them. These can sometimes get moved so they are not actually in the right place for the printed buttons.

Ok, just got my 16s.  I can't find anywhere in the manual where it tells me how to do the same thing for the 16s.  

I assume the small pushbutton is used somehow.

On the newer KS models I think you have to pair the EUC with your phone. Enter the bluetooth default code for pairing and then the app will connnect right up.

That old KS14c is like a VW beetle. What do need gauges for? As long as the battery indicator and speakers work, who cares about the rest. 

On 8/12/2017 at 4:53 PM, Keith said:

Ok, just got my 16s.  I can't find anywhere in the manual where it tells me how to do the same thing for the 16s.  

I assume the small pushbutton is used somehow.

So, what's the small button for?

38 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

So, what's the small button for?

The small button & a quick press on the larger one do exactly the same thing, toggle the lights on & off. In the earlier design of the 16S, the smaller button controlled the speaker/aux function, if I recall. 

Archived