On 7/11/2017 at 7:23 AM, mezzanine said:

Ninebot should have made the Z6 a 16" wheel with 3" wide tire.  There's no purpose for that lower end model. 

It will depend a lot on the weight in my opinion, if the difference will be significant then why not?

Good news. Will wait for the reviews. Things to watch in reviews: a) any advantage provided by the fat tubeless tire? B) redundancy? c)120 Nm motor torque? d)  real-time diagnosis? e)  internal trolley handle?

Edited by EUCMania
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the video, but what a disappointing review.  You fly all the way to China and spend the majority of the video talking about publicly available specs or pre-production issues?  :blink1:

Youtube drives me crazy sometimes.  It's great that so many amateur reviewers can put up videos, but frustrating when they're lacking in quality.  Was a problem when trying to research the KS18S. 

Again, I know I come across as a jerk for posting this, but I find it frustrating as a consumer in a niche market where video reviews are so important.  People will say, "just be grateful for anything", but damn. 

Other than a couple of general comments about the problem maneuvering in tight spaces with the wide wheel, there's almost nothing about the ride quality.  I would almost think it's a gag or joke I'm not in on.  :huh:

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 3

@mezzanine

come on...this is no review, it is just a short "feets on" on a pre-production unit :-)

I would guess they only had a small time trying the wheel, and for that i find this hands on quite ok.

He sad that acceleration is good, motor seams powerfull, but on braking making this scrubing sounds, which he even demonstrated.

(For me a sign of the motor beeing at the end of what he can deliver!, shortly before magnets snapping over).

Also he made clear that its a hard time to get used to curves, as you can not ride on the edge of the wide tire. 

So some ride impressions where made, yeah, but not that much, you are right.

The video did not change any of my opinions:

I still doubt this wheel will be any better than the top GW/KS wheels! Especially this scrubing sound made it suspicious to not beeing that powerfull as it looks like. When you see that small iterations on the motors/firmware were made by KS and GW only over time, i dont think Ninebot can jump to a better one when beeing out of euc development for 2 years!

Also i still do not see any advantage at all for such an wide tyre. Especially when driving offroad, where this wider stand will hit more road imperfections. Might be a good tire when driving on highway with 80mph plus ;-) 

But thats just me :-)

• Like 3

You make a good point about the difficulty of providing quality analysis with such a limited opportunity to ride the wheel.  It's more of a general frustration that bubbled over because of my excitement about possibly getting early insight on the Z series, only to be disappointed. 

If I spent thousands to travel to China to test the prototype, I would welcome feedback about how to improve my video impressions, purely from a business perspective.  It's tough as an EUC buyer because you're often limited by the quality of information available.  It's an inherent evil of such a niche market.  

I'm more optimistic about the benefits of the tubeless wider tire.  I especially think it's going to make riding at higher speeds more stable.  Whereas most 18" wheels are comfortable up to 35km/h, I expect this one will feel stable up to 45km/h, which is why I predicted that the first EUC-related fatality, if it hasn't already happened, will happen because on this wheel. 

I agree about the advantage KS/Gotway have in being able to make incremental and evolutionary changes to their products due to being active in the market.  I think this really long testing phase will compensate for Ninebot having been out of the high end market, though. 

• Like 1

it was filmed almost 2 month ago, it's just ninebot lifted the restrictions on posting it in december.
i stated it's "overview", not complete review or test or something.

about cracking sounds, overleans, etc. IMO it's too early to judge by this two early prototypes. it, may be, just ninebot p "on steroids", mean, for prototyping.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WaveCut said:

it was filmed almost 2 month ago, it's just ninebot lifted the restrictions on posting it in december.
i stated it's "overview", not complete review or test or something.

about cracking sounds, overleans, etc. IMO it's too early to judge by this two early prototypes. it, may be, just ninebot p "on steroids", mean, for prototyping.

Surely ;)

I'm really in thrust that Z10 will really be a great device B):thumbup:

4 hours ago, mezzanine said:

You make a good point about the difficulty of providing quality analysis with such a limited opportunity to ride the wheel.  It's more of a general frustration that bubbled over because of my excitement about possibly getting early insight on the Z series, only to be disappointed. 

If I spent thousands to travel to China to test the prototype, I would welcome feedback about how to improve my video impressions, purely from a business perspective.  It's tough as an EUC buyer because you're often limited by the quality of information available.  It's an inherent evil of such a niche market.  

I'm more optimistic about the benefits of the tubeless wider tire.  I especially think it's going to make riding at higher speeds more stable.  Whereas most 18" wheels are comfortable up to 35km/h, I expect this one will feel stable up to 45km/h, which is why I predicted that the first EUC-related fatality, if it hasn't already happened, will happen because on this wheel. 

I agree about the advantage KS/Gotway have in being able to make incremental and evolutionary changes to their products due to being active in the market.  I think this really long testing phase will compensate for Ninebot having been out of the high end market, though. 

18-inch wheels (there's only two that I know of) are certainly comfortable way beyond 35km/h.  Hell, my Tesla (16-inch) feels nice and comfy/stable at 40km/h

I'm certainly interested in this new Ninebot. I wouldn't pin your hopes on it being a revolutionary wheel. I think the styling sets it apart and the width of the wheel. I'm concerned that it might not be the best handling wheel because of the width. The Z might be great in some niche conditions but only OK as a general purpose wheel (because of the tire). Time will tell.

There are plenty of wheels that can go beyond 45km/h and we aren't seeing any fatalities. I don't see your prediction coming true because of the Z (fortunately).

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

There are plenty of wheels that can go beyond 45km/h and we aren't seeing any fatalities. I don't see your prediction coming true because of the Z (fortunately).

I do! People will die in awe of its beauty ...! ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

18-inch wheels (there's only two that I know of) are certainly comfortable way beyond 35km/h.  Hell, my Tesla (16-inch) feels nice and comfy/stable at 40km/h

I'm certainly interested in this new Ninebot. I wouldn't pin your hopes on it being a revolutionary wheel. I think the styling sets it apart and the width of the wheel. I'm concerned that it might not be the best handling wheel because of the width. The Z might be great in some niche conditions but only OK as a general purpose wheel (because of the tire). Time will tell.

The uncertainty about how the Z will perform in the real world is a big part of why I decided to buy a KS18S and not wait.  I still think it will be safer than current wheels because of it's ability to absorb road irregularities, but I've been mindful of KS69's reasons for remaining skeptical until it's released. 

I wish there was an easy way to convert current wheels to tubeless.  It's the tubeless design that appeals to me as much as the increased traction due to width. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

But but...how can you forget the incredible Solowheel Extreme!! How can you...?:efef015fe0:

After all, it goes a cool 16km/h (10mph)!

Well... you're right! There are only two 18 inch wheels.:efef2e0fff:

Ooooops :facepalm:

:w00t2: I love that wide tire!  I think although it might not be as tossable around cones on a slalom, it should be like going from riding a mountain bike to a moped or motorcycle in terms of ride feel.  Going over bumps should theoretically be smoother I would guess, and it should be able to handle road and off-road irregularities a lot easier.

I'm glad they are rethinking that back trolley handle.  Although it looked heavy duty it detracted a lot from the whole design and seemed like an aftermarket bolt-on that was designed by a different team altogether.  Integrated is always nicer, or at least make it look integrated?

I think this wheel will appeal to the riders who have ridden a few wheels already and who are ready to try the next evolution of electrically powered one wheel vehicles.  People learn to ride bikes first, then move to mopeds maybe, and then motorcycles.  I don't see the NZ wheel as a last mile solution for a first time rider, but instead it should appeal to off-roaders and longer distance riders I think as long as those batteries are enough for the majority of people (Marty and Zlymex excluded!).

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

But but...how can you forget the incredible Solowheel Extreme!! How can you...?:efef015fe0:

After all, it goes a cool 16km/h (10mph)!

Well... you're right! There are only two 18 inch wheels.:efef2e0fff:

I still use my Solowheel Xtreme and it goes at 22km/h with a peak of 24km/h ;)  old Classic 1000w and 1500w firmwares went to 16km/h ... not the lovely Xtreme:wub:

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

When do you expect the first EUCs cross the 100 km/h limes? Will it be Gotway? ?

More probably it will be RW:D

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, zugu said:

I still use my Solowheel Xtreme and it goes at 22km/h with a peak of 24km/h ;)  old Classic 1000w and 1500w firmwares went to 16km/h ... not the lovely Xtreme:wub:

I would love to have one for winter, EUC scating and practice of controlled slips! And I am still thinking of buying one for that purpose. Just yesterday I practice in mud and in a sandpit in the mountains for just that purpose with my MSuper V3s+. It was great fun, even though everything got really muddy, but the MSuper really always surprises me with its almost unlimited power. It gets trough almost everything.

And the Solowheel Xtreme looks very tempting. A cool toy. I envy you.

Edited by Toshio Uemura
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

When do you expect the first EUCs cross the 100 km/h limes? Will it be Gotway? ?

I remember @Linnea Lin Gotway saying that it basically would be crazy and not responsible for a EUC maker to make a wheel capable of that speed, but we seem to be slowly creeping up to that point.  I've always wondered what the top ceiling might be for a one wheeled vehicle.  Running off a 100 kph faceplant due to a wheel failure isn't going to be good!  :blink:

I'm a bit scared to push my Tesla above 35 kph without getting some more safety gear.  The lean required to eek out 10-15 more kph is not something I'm quite used to yet.  Hitting an unexpected pothole or road crack could ruin your day very quickly. Maybe with more time it will come eventually.  You really have to know the pathway/road conditions intimately to avoid being launched into the air due to a sudden sidewalk heave/road pothole that you don't see in time.

I guess though with motorcycles their top speeds are way higher than practical riding speeds so who knows, maybe there still is some bragging room that people will want to say that they own an EUC that has a top speed of 100 kph.  They may never ride anywhere close to that speed, but it's cool to be able to own something that can.  I know @yourtoys7 said he'd definitely buy one, but that might have changed after his recent accident (?).  People buy Kawasaki Hayabusa's that go 312 kph, but who rides at that speed ever?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1