16 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Is anyone else concerned about the sudden cut-out at 15 seconds?  That hill didn't look that steep, but the wheel gave in near the top.

I thought that seemed kind of weak performance too.  It made a funny sound also, right before it stopped.

Spoiler

Boo!  Just playing around with this new feature.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

:efeed51798:  Hmmm I don't know.  I watched the clip over a few times, and it looks like the tire stops as the tread appears clearly for a moment, and the body of the wheel along with rider take a faceplant position.  You can see the underside of the pedals meaning that the balancing isn't active.  With a slip the wheel might tip, but the tire would be spinning and slipping like crazy.  I don't know.  It looks like it just shut off as if the BMS cut the power.  No beeps, nothing.  If you've ever dropped a Ninebot the thing beeps and complains a lot if I recall correctly?  All I heard was...

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

I think it was an  overpower cutoff.  I've done that twice stopping too quickly and leaning too hard backwards to go reverse riding.  I don't remember any beeps when that happened, but I also don't remember if I had to turn the wheel back on when picking it up from it's side.  And I'm not going to do that again if I can help it.;)  Even at zero speed, falling backwards is not fun.  Especially on damp dirt.  (Pants got all dirty)  Watched it at half speed, still heard that electrical sound right before the cutoff.  Maybe the board fried?

Edited by steve454
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Shouldn't all reasonably strong wheels already be able to do this? Never tried that. But tire diameter would matter for this (and the shell not being too low and in the way), not width.

Well, I'm riding my KS18 every day from these edges without jumping and absolutly no problem !  But this Ninebot One Z, seems too weak .

There should not be such dying power ,for a light rider and this little mountain.   Well, perhaps, just the beginning of the tests and the final product will be normal !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Something is wrong - watch and listen carefully at 0:07. Wheel was nearly overpowered on the even ground (it tilted forward and then jerked back) and that same sound can be heard. Could be that the wheel is already heavily beaten up and is starting to malfunction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, xebeche said:

Something is wrong - watch and listen carefully at 0:07. Wheel was nearly overpowered on the even ground (it tilted forward and then jerked back) and that same sound can be heard. Could be that the wheel is already heavily beaten up and is starting to malfunction.

And the bottom of the pedals are scraped up very badly.  My hope is that it is being tested under extreme conditions.  But it is probably vaporware.  Ninebot doing this?  Ha Ha!  When I see it I will believe it.

Edited by steve454

I was excited about this but that hill video has me a bit concerned.   I'm a brand new rider and I have been jetting up grass hills larger than this on my KS18 with no problem at all.  In fact riding it around on the grass and dirt hills has been what I enjoy the most.  

It also seems like the wheel is sort of struggling even when he is getting lined up to try the hill... Maybe it is just my imagination.  

I dunno but if they are gonna market this as an offroad monster (no reference to the gotway) it's gotta do better than that... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

would a wider tire help that much more?

I believe it's about the amount of deforming the tire does. I have played with EUC tire pressures quite a bit, and the change is clear: High pressure makes going up curbs more difficult. At lower pressures the EUC doesn't have to go over the edge of the curb completely, so the curb is smoother. A 4" tire must be very tall also, and with a suitable pressure it definitely has a big advantage when going over sharp curbs.

What is notable in my mind is that while the curbs in the Z videos I've seen are not that high, none of them has the rider hopping to reduce his affected weight. I wouldn't try those curbs without hopping with my KS-16S even with a grippy 2.5" tire. So it's all kudos to the fat tire. A skilled rider could go up very high curbs with a tire like that!

I'm hoping the dying at the top of the grass hill is because of a low battery, rider stopping in front of a branch or something like that. The Z could be the new offroad King to rule my modified KS-16S, but some of these videos surely dent my dreams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I believe it's about the amount of deforming the tire does. I have played with EUC tire pressures quite a bit, and the change is clear: High pressure makes going up curbs more difficult. At lower pressures the EUC doesn't have to go over the edge of the curb completely, so the curb is smoother. A 4" tire must be very tall also, and with a suitable pressure it definitely has a big advantage when going over sharp curbs.

Thing is that that we still don't know for sure what kind that 4.1" tire is. If you read translation of the specs it says " wide 4.1-inch large vacuum tire design". Looking at Aliexpress, this is how Chinese usually describe solid rubber tire. Also by closely looking at the photos, I can't find the spot where the rim/valve could be accessible without disassembly of the plastic case.

• 2 weeks later...

The video showing a man going down steps and the pedal tilted backward, causing the rider to fall back. In another part, the rider riding over a curb, he said that the pedal tilted up. I guess that the engineers are trying to fix the issue of older models where after repeated bumps, the pedal tilts forward, and they over corrected. 

• Like 1

At 2:54 the rider accelerates shortly on flat ground and we can hear the engine growl and see the pedals tilt quite a bit. And the familiar clips on the grassy hill and stairs next to it are truly worrysome. At the first falldown the rider tries to brake but the wheel only tilts back. Either that unit is out of battery or it is severely underpowered. The Lhotz would behave like that with it's peak 1000W. Going 35km/h with that wheel is a horrible thought.

If that is an early stage prototype with less power, I would never let a group of people play around with it, recording video or not.

Ps. That video is a preview, not a review.

I think the uphill cut off in the video is probably something simple as a very low battery. That there are no beeps etcetera are problematic, but this is still pre-production. That means more work are going into fine-tuning the firmware, and probably some of the safety features are not yet implemented.

On 2017-09-17 at 5:20 PM, xebeche said:

Thing is that that we still don't know for sure what kind that 4.1" tire is. If you read translation of the specs it says " wide 4.1-inch large vacuum tire design". Looking at Aliexpress, this is how Chinese usually describe solid rubber tire. Also by closely looking at the photos, I can't find the spot where the rim/valve could be accessible without disassembly of the plastic case.

I find that unlikely, it would weigh too much for the purpose.

42 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

At 2:54 the rider accelerates shortly on flat ground and we can hear the engine growl and see the pedals tilt quite a bit. And the familiar clips on the grassy hill and stairs next to it are truly worrysome. At the first falldown the rider tries to brake but the wheel only tilts back. Either that unit is out of battery or it is severely underpowered. The Lhotz would behave like that with it's peak 1000W. Going 35km/h with that wheel is a horrible thought.

If that is an early stage prototype with less power, I would never let a group of people play around with it, recording video or not.

Ps. That video is a preview, not a review.

Those noises are Ninebot farts. My E+ went through a brief phase over a year ago after I first bought the wheel. It hasn't happened again in 3,000 km, so I concluded it was newborn electromechanical indigestion.

Check out my noob video below at 5sec, 8sec, 12-13sec (noisy :efeec46606:) and 27sec. Fyi, the battery was at 70%, the terrain was mostly level, and the speed was slow. No collisions, falls or drops previously.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Damn late to the game, maybe some bored day I'll read past 16 pages... Looks like a 400 mm wheel?, and seams to be exclusively quite for a wheel?... I like the fat wheel?...

Since your nickname is still a far dream, we still talk inches. ;) 400 mm = 16". The Z tire is 18" x 4.1".