Finally: KS18S Review, Mods and diary (Attention: image heavy)

US69

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@eddiemoy

Good job! Exactly what i have done with this wheel mounting thing :-)

I just shortened the rod a bit, so that it sits a bit further up when screwed on the wheel.

one things from my experience:

i would advise to go with the rubber ties instead of the plastice strips. Simply reason: When your wheel falls once, there is a good chance this pastik strips break (own experience, but wasnt THAT hefty strip) , the rubber ties on my black 18S, in case of a fall they are a bit elastic. 

I will do some photos .....

Great video!!! and good job!!!

2A0NqlD.jpg

n2ZbJPS.jpg

11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@eddiemoy

Good job! Exactly what i have done with this wheel mounting thing :-)

I just shortened the rod a bit, so that it sits a bit further up when screwed on the wheel.

Two things from my experience:

I would get rid of the small bridge under the handle! The big one with the clamps is enough. 

Also i would advise to go with the rubber ties instead of the plastice strips. Simply reason: When your wheel falls once, there is a good chance this pastik strips break (own experience), the rubber ties on my black 18S are better, in case of a fall they are elastic. And it looks better and they are not that big.

I will do some photos .....

Great video!!!

2A0NqlD.jpg

n2ZbJPS.jpg

Thanks, I'll see how long the industrial zip tie will last first.  This is not the standard zip tie.  What do you use your velcro for?  Also, you installed your's on the 18S on the front, not the back?

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

Thanks, I'll see how long the industrial zip tie will last first.  This is not the standard zip tie.  What do you use your velcro for?  Also, you installed your's on the 18S on the front, not the back?

that is the back ;-) Thats a long ongoing discussion, whats front or back...but 95% of the 18S have a "direction arrow" on the rubber tire, which shows the direction...and from this direction, the power button and charge port are "back" and the LED is front.

Ok, my tie was no industrial one, but nearly same sturdyness, it broke after one fall :-( But thats all nitpicky i guess...great job done!

The Velcro is for a german speciality :-) I can attach my Number/registering plate on it :-) This number plate goes for "insurance registration" and vehicle "allowed"...german bureocratie :-) But i nearly never use it, because in the opposite with number plate you are not allowed to drive on only bycicle paths. Again: Typical german crazyness

Btw.: Actually, when trollying my Ks18s i only pull out the first part in half, not completly and then it is even more sturdy!

I am happy that you like your trolley!!!

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

that is the back ;-) Thats a long ongoing discussion, whats front or back...but 95% of the 18S have a "direction arrow" on the rubber tire, which shows the direction...and from this direction, the power button and charge port are "back" and the LED is front.

Ok, my tie was no industrial one, but nearly same sturdyness, it broke after one fall :-( But thats all nitpicky i guess...great job done!

The Velcro is for a german speciality :-) I can attach my Number/registering plate on it :-) This number plate goes for "insurance registration" and vehicle "allowed"...german bureocratie :-) But i nearly never use it, because in the opposite with number plate you are not allowed to drive on only bycicle paths. Again: Typical german crazyness

Btw.: Actually, when trollying my Ks18s i only pull out the first part in half, not completly and then it is even more sturdy!

I am happy that you like your trolley!!!

Yes, noticed if you pull it out half way it is way more sturdy, but it doesn't lock is the problem.  But it is still great!  Very easy to push the unit around!  Thanks!

19 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I assumed the same as Eddie that the front was with the power button and charge port.  It makes sense to that the charge indicator would be the front when you consider the advantage to being able to look down to check your battery life. 

Also, when riding seated, I have found that I occasionally will hit the power button when I transition from standing to seated and grab the front of the wheel.  I'm feeling lucky that I haven't managed to cut the power to the wheel while moving by accidentally turning it off while in motion. 

3 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

transition from standing to seated and grab the front of the wheel.  I'm feeling lucky that I haven't managed to cut the power to the wheel while moving by accidentally turning it off

the Power button will not work while the wheel is moving :-)

Thats the advantage of this electronical buttons. I always push the button on my KS/GW when driving and when i want to change the light settings. Dont worry!

Yes, the LED in the front makes sense for me. You can see it. Also i like to have the USB port in the back. When it is sligtly raining it is better in the back. But just look at your tire and search for the direction arrow on it. It should also show you  that LED is the real front.

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

the Power button will not work while the wheel is moving :-)

Thats the advantage of this electronical buttons. I always push the button on my KS/GW when driving and when i want to change the light settings. Dont worry!

Yes, the LED in the front makes sense for me. You can see it. Also i like to have the USB port in the back. When it is sligtly raining it is better in the back. But just look at your tire and search for the direction arrow on it. It should also show you  that LED is the real front.

Makes sense that the power button wouldn't work while in motion.  I'm worried about the speaker cover grilles and whether they prevent water from getting into the wheel.  Both came off on the one side of the wheel when the bus hit me. 

1 minute ago, mezzanine said:

Makes sense that the power button wouldn't work while in motion.  I'm worried about the speaker cover grilles and whether they prevent water from getting into the wheel.  Both came off on the one side of the wheel when the bus hit me. 

Nope, there is no chance that because of the speakers you will have water in your battery compartement or so!

They are pretty much seperated from the rest of the wheel. And yeah, the speaker grills are very weak unfortunatly :-(

Every time one gets loose, i then fix it with glue, then they work better.....

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Nope, there is no chance that because of the speakers you will have water in your battery compartement or so!

They are pretty much seperated from the rest of the wheel. And yeah, the speaker grills are very weak unfortunatly :-(

Every time one gets loose, i then fix it with glue, then they work better.....

I figured that was probably the case, but wanted to check with you to be sure. 

15 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I figured that was probably the case, but wanted to check with you to be sure. 

Here is a 20 video playlist of KS18 installation and De-installation processes...Chinese...but you can see all very good :-)

• 1 month later...

Archived