Which music artist/group do you listen to while riding?

litewave

I've been listening to a small number (15-20) of artists over the past year or so, and my play list is stale. Although I like all kinds of music, from K-pop to Folk and everything adjacent and in between, I gravitate to techno and electronica while riding. I tend to avoid vulgar lyrics, but am not always successful. 

By far, the top group in my somewhat dated playlist has been Linkin Park last decade (RIP Chester B), followed by Joy Division/New Order, Eminem, Aphex Twin, older Daft Punk, and more recently, a little Charly Beck. When I'm riding mellow (always sober, though :innocent1: ), I like Cake, Maroon 5, Bruce Cockburn, and Shakira, to name a few [Caveat: embedded links may be NSFW in some places].

I am really interested in others' suggestions, especially music that isn't in English – and from this decade. Also, please indicate which service provider you use (e.g., iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.) so others can find the music. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, litewave said:

No, not exclusively. What do you like?

I like old blues, my friend, because I'm an old dude.  Didn't mean to hijack your thread.  I hope you get some fruitful suggestions.  Cheers!

9 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Andre Nickatina :D

I like a few tracks I've heard so far on the iTunes artist song list ("I'm a Pisces but I'd rather be a killa whale" was kinda humorous, but the Orca sounds made me homesick for NZ). Which albums/songs should I follow up with?

5 hours ago, KalSeth said:

Skunk Anansie and early PJ Harvey

Thanks! I totally missed Skunk Anansie but will start working my way through their catalogue. I heard PJ Harvey a while back pre-iTunes, and look forward to catching up. This weekend will be extra fun on the trails. :)

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

I'd rather not. Either it's through the speakers and then I am annoying other people with my music, and with earphones you can't hear your surroundings.

Fair enough. I didn't wear earbuds for the first six months, until I felt very confident and knew my usual routes well. It's sometimes nice to enjoy the ambient noises riding through parks, and in pedestrian zones. When riding on sidewalks along arterials, the earbuds mask the road noise and the occasional shouts from cars. On bike trails, a cyclist will rarely overtake me, but even then they typically do not announce when approaching, so I have little or no audial advance warning.

It's just that I already hate a certain type of youth (I think in the UK they call them "chavs") walking around (or on public transport) with their smartphones in speaker mode playing some horrible 50 Cent/JayZ/... whatever crap it is they listen to so everyone hears what "good" taste in music they have.

Just now, Bambino said:

Manowar .... Metallica .... Weeknd 

More soft : Rick martin and 80´music

That's quite the spectrum there. From Manowar to Ricky Martin :D 

Death to false metal! lol

I listen to creepy quiet screeches of the wheel, that reminds me of Babylon 5 Shadows Vessels screeching. I don't listen to music while riding because more distraction and it is fun enough on it's own and I don't have much favorite music to listen to (btw I'm always hungry for it, so would like to know what songs you consider best).

As for the music, I'm listening to Agonoise and fgfc820 at the moment. Also recently discovered that some nasheeds are pretty dank. Some have some ugly meaning, but as I don't understand a thing in Arabic they're fine for me. I also downloaded some old 8 bit NES midi themes (should name the battletoads title, of course) to play them with the wheel, as I just think this is what should be played with the wheel, if ever, used it only for some company riding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8gJxIWSxGE&list=PLAD0E16116DDDFB9E&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzsFS4Plmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7RvfwVCjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RRudzgAfME

14 minutes ago, ubertoad said:

I listen to creepy quiet screeches of the wheel, that reminds me of Babylon 5 Shadows Vessels screeching. I don't listen to music while riding because more distraction and it is fun enough on it's own and I don't have much favorite music to listen to (btw I'm always hungry for it, so would like to know what songs you consider best).

As for the music, I'm listening to Agonoise and fgfc820 at the moment. Also recently discovered that some nasheeds are pretty dank. Some have some ugly meaning, but as I don't understand a thing in Arabic they're fine for me. I also downloaded some old 8 bit NES midi themes (should name the battletoads title, of course) to play them with the wheel, as I just think this is what should be played with the wheel, if ever, used it only for some company riding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8gJxIWSxGE&list=PLAD0E16116DDDFB9E&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzsFS4Plmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7RvfwVCjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RRudzgAfME

You should just type "chiptunes" in youtube :) 

Or for some nostalgia

7 hours ago, Bambino said:

Manowar .... Metallica .... Weeknd 

More soft : Rick martin and 80´music

Manowar :eff034a94a: gave me a good laugh! Together with Metallica are still great from that genre. Weeknd was a bit of a surprise, and has been added to my list to catch up on. 

Ricky Martin is very talented but a bit too glam for me. Anything in particular from the 80s? 

lololololol

My favourite is: Warriors Of The World (United)"

Its very powerfull.... 

You have to listen!!

I did, thanks. Great for ... its time. It made me want to watch the Marvel Thor movies again, too. :D

7 hours ago, ubertoad said:

As for the music, I'm listening to Agonoise and fgfc820 at the moment. Also recently discovered that some nasheeds are pretty dank. Some have some ugly meaning, but as I don't understand a thing in Arabic they're fine for me. I also downloaded some old 8 bit NES midi themes ...

Agonoize is a bit of a stretch for me, so I'll have to pass. fgfc820 is pretty good for what it is, but not my cup of tea. After 15 minutes of listening I developed this strange urge to put metal spikes on my Ninebot though.

I forgot to tell...

I like very much... HARRY STYLES: Sign of the times

Its great to listen while ridding!!

Amazing – that song debuted at #1 in the US, UK and AUS. This track titled "kiwi" was pretty good and fairly accurate:

[Verse 1]
She worked her way through a cheap pack of cigarettes
Hard liquor mixed with a bit of intellect
And all the boys, they were saying they were into it
Such a pretty face, on a pretty neck

[Chorus]
She's driving me crazy, but I'm into it, but I'm into it
I'm kinda into it
It's getting crazy, I think I'm losing it, I think I'm losing it
I think she said "I'm having your baby, it's none of your business"

I play my songs over the KingSong speakers; I figure if I am not louder than the vehicles around me then no one has legitimate cause to complain.

In practice I find only a few songs work well over the wind and the ground roar, basically those that have a sharp high beat.

Cotton Fields by CCR.

Laisse Tomber.

Howling at Nothing.

Wagon Wheel.

Hillbilly Willy.

Booty Swing.

Steal my Sunshine.

Burning Love.

54 74 90 2006

This is how we do it.

Das hab ich gleich

All Summer Long.

Get Lucky.

Brokenhearted.

Long cool woman.

Do you love me?

Kids (2 finger an den Kopf)

Electric feel.

You win again.

Do the hustle.

A big hunk o love.

Geronimo.

Home we'll go.

Feel good inc.

I've got a bunch more but you get the idea...

For those not wearing full face helmets might I suggest Trekz Titanium bone conduction headphones by Aftershokz. They leave your ears open to hear your surroundings but also keep your music...yours (thanks in advance from those who don't like your taste in music). It also negates wind noise overrriding your tunes and offers the music option for non King Song riders without speakers. It's like your own personal speaker in your head. I used to wear mine for cycling but they also work great in the office where you want/need to hear your colleagues but also want to listen to music.

Generally very good. It obviously isn't as good as a set of quality "in the ear" headphones but I think they suit their purpose excellently. Certainly got to be better than a set of tinny speakers 4 foot below your head fighting to be heard over wind noise.

They have a mic in them as well for taking calls although wind noise in the mic is an issue when moving.

For private listening to music while retaining situational awareness they cannot be beaten IMO.

Archived