This has probably been mentioned before [ I am new to this ] But my gotway mcmsc2 is giving me a lot of pain in the lower leg.

The stupid design of a box section against your leg is a certainty to damage your leg. I have scars all over my legs even though I pad them out quite a bit. I should have chosen one of the other type that have  fairly smooth sides. Has Gotway done anything about this does anyone know. I am 81 and still have a go at most things like jumping out of a plane. This lower leg problem has spoiled my fun although I wont give up. I am still learning and waiting for more leg padding from Ebay.

More to come, I hope. Ken Bland.  UK.   P.S. Am I the only one in the uk doing this?

You're the only 81 year old that I know of who is riding a EUC.  :thumbup:  Maybe try attaching some pieces of comfy material like carpet, carpet underlay, gel mouse pad, etc onto the parts that contact your leg or go the other route and wear shin guards to the side to avoid the leg pain.  Are you gripping onto the wheel pretty too tightly?  How long have you been riding?

Like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love says, how long have you been riding. Because it's quite normal for the legs to get beat up for the first few months of riding. But once you get proficient with the wheel you no longer grip the wheel like a vice and leg pain becomes a thing of the past.

The UK has a vibrant community of riders.

I had much alike feelings for my KingSong. Though it were bruises, not scratches. That passed in a week or two of practice. First reason is that you are holding the wheel too tight. You can apply pressure to the pads to control it. I thought that when I learn - I'll be controlling it only by applying pressure to the pads, but now I see that I use both, just not squeezing it constantly. The second reason was that when you start on one leg it is was especially painful. I made start faster and putting my other leg faster. Though most of this is just practice. I bought football shin protection and that helped, that might help it heal for you, as I had pauses in my learning cause of work. Soon I started being too lazy to wear that protection.

19 hours ago, Ken Bland said:

More to come, I hope. Ken Bland.  UK.   P.S. Am I the only one in the uk doing this?

Nope. We are an extra rare species, but we're around ?. Handful in London including myself, but also some up north and down by the coast....

On 08/08/2017 at 3:56 PM, Ken Bland said:

You're certainly not. I'm based in Milton Keynes and am out a lot on mine!

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:09 AM, Paddylaz said:

Nope. We are an extra rare species, but we're around ?. Handful in London including myself, but also some up north and down by the coast....

Thanks Paddyladz. good to know. how are your ride areas? around here in Tankerton the pavements and roads are the worst.

I do have a car park opposite where I am learning to ride.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:25 AM, ubertoad said:

I had much alike feelings for my KingSong. Though it were bruises, not scratches. That passed in a week or two of practice. First reason is that you are holding the wheel too tight. You can apply pressure to the pads to control it. I thought that when I learn - I'll be controlling it only by applying pressure to the pads, but now I see that I use both, just not squeezing it constantly. The second reason was that when you start on one leg it is was especially painful. I made start faster and putting my other leg faster. Though most of this is just practice. I bought football shin protection and that helped, that might help it heal for you, as I had pauses in my learning cause of work. Soon I started being too lazy to wear that protection.

Thank you Ubertoad. I also have bought shin pads which have made a lot of difference. I have also bought protection for my knees and elbows and so far have not needed these but I know it will happen, probably when I am not wearing them. I have a car park opposite where I practice. The roads and pavements here in Tankerton are the worst. Thanks for the advice.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:49 AM, Marty Backe said:

Like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love says, how long have you been riding. Because it's quite normal for the legs to get beat up for the first few months of riding. But once you get proficient with the wheel you no longer grip the wheel like a vice and leg pain becomes a thing of the past.

The UK has a vibrant community of riders.

Hi Marty. Thanks for the reply. Yes I now have padding and elbow and knee protection although these are not so necessary now . Still learning though. learning wheels have not come off yet.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:25 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You're the only 81 year old that I know of who is riding a EUC.  :thumbup:  Maybe try attaching some pieces of comfy material like carpet, carpet underlay, gel mouse pad, etc onto the parts that contact your leg or go the other route and wear shin guards to the side to avoid the leg pain.  Are you gripping onto the wheel pretty too tightly?  How long have you been riding?

Hi Hunka. I now have all the padding and knee and elbow protection although I don't seem to need it now. Still learning with my learning wheels on at the moment. Thanks for the advice. My wife says I am 15 not 81. you have to keep going why should the young have all the fun.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:46 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

81 and EUC? Wow!

Yes crazy eh. my wife says I am 15 not 81. I have always had a go. When I was 77 I did a sky dive for charity. Woo Hoo. got to keep going whilst you can .

Just now, eddiemoy said:

amazing!  i hope to still be so active when i'm in my 80's.  leg pain is normal from when you first learn.  it is all a matter of conditioning.

Thanks Eddiemoy.  Still learning with the learning wheels on. They will come off soon then watch me go. [ or break a leg ].

Just now, Ken Bland said:

Thanks Eddiemoy.  Still learning with the learning wheels on. They will come off soon then watch me go. [ or break a leg ].

the training wheels don't help you learn.  if you have them on, take them off.  watch a couple of the video's on youtube on how to properly learn to ride these things.  i believe the forum has lots of links to the proper way to learn.  

Just now, eddiemoy said:

the training wheels don't help you learn.  if you have them on, take them off.  watch a couple of the video's on youtube on how to properly learn to ride these things.  i believe the forum has lots of links to the proper way to learn.  

Thanks Eddiemoy. The wheels will come of today.

10 hours ago, Ken Bland said:

Thanks Paddyladz. good to know. how are your ride areas? around here in Tankerton the pavements and roads are the worst.

I do have a car park opposite where I am learning to ride.

Well I mostly stick to Hyde Park and occasionally Wimbledon Common. Hyde Park is great, zooming along by the serpentine lake on a weekday when it's not crowded is lovely. One of the only places where I can get up to full speed and enjoy the ride fully. I've also been sort of 'accepted' by the skaters in the skater area lol who didn't know what to think when I first came on the scene. They all love it now.

You get stopped often by people with questions. There are still so many people who haven't seen them before. You must come up sometime when you're ready!

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

Well I mostly stick to Hyde Park and occasionally Wimbledon Common. Hyde Park is great, zooming along by the serpentine lake on a weekday when it's not crowded is lovely. One of the only places where I can get up to full speed and enjoy the ride fully. I've also been sort of 'accepted' by the skaters in the skater area lol who didn't know what to think when I first came on the scene. They all love it now.

You get stopped often by people with questions. There are still so many people who haven't seen them before. You must come up sometime when you're ready!

That sounds great, Hyde Park and Wimbledon Common. I have seen some vids on youtube where young Chinese boys are going round a fabulous area of lit up skyscrapers. The ground on which they go is lovely and smooth. nothing like that here. I bet the skaters will soon join you with a wheel.

17 hours ago, Ken Bland said:

Hi Marty. Thanks for the reply. Yes I now have padding and elbow and knee protection although these are not so necessary now . Still learning though. learning wheels have not come off yet.

The protection is very helpful, learning the hard way hurts, hurts quite a lot actually.

I progressed my personnel protection as I  fell off.

I have gloves like skate gloves, the wrists can take quite a bit of  force when things go peter tong

Keep the protection, look like an idiot what the heck.

;-)

Jer

I am in the UK also, we are still in Europe as well

On 08/08/2017 at 3:56 PM, Ken Bland said:

I am 81 and still have a go at most things 

P.S. Am I the only one in the uk doing this?

Did you read the instruction manual that came with your EUC? Mine said it was not permitted for riders over 60 years old (I'm 61) ?- obviously a mere youth I now realise reading your post.

8 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Well I mostly stick to Hyde Park and occasionally Wimbledon Common. 

I live about 1 mile away from Wimbledon Common - so even one of the forum's moderators is from the UK ?

P.S. Like the advice several others have given above, I would agree that beginners do try to grip the wheel too hard, and you do get bruises etc at first. Indeed long after I stopped suffering any discomfort from my EUC, I hired one on holiday and my calves were painfully sore after a couple of hours, so even a change of wheel can take some getting used to.

P.P.S. I strongly recommend wrist guards and ideally some head protection at the very least, the one thing I learned from riding my EUC, is that I don't heal as fast as I used to and with two sprained wrists you REALLY find out who your friends are!

Archived