Help me decide ACM s+ vs MSuper V3 s+

Hey everyone,

The time has come.  I have now put 350 miles on my MCM4 and have decided to upgrade to a newer better faster bigger longer lasting wheel.  So here goes....................

First things first - I know some of these wheels have suffered from the Gotway Oscillation issue.  This wheel will be coming from Jason.  Have all these concerns for the most part been resolved?

Now that that's out of the way here goes:

I have heard much praise from everyone regarding the ACM, I see lots of people reporting that it is their favorite wheel.  I have actually ridden the ACM a couple of weeks ago during a group ride.  I can say with my limited time with it it was very enjoyable and felt very stable and fast compared to the MCM4.  I have never ridden the MSuper.  Here are my questions:

Will there be a noticeable stability difference from the MSuper to the ACM?  In my area there are many uneven roads and potholes so the 18" wheel could be a big help.

My current size/weight is 6'1" 220 lbs.  I am on the heavier side for EUC riders.  Bigger wheel may be better for me since I am on the heavier side.

From others experiences what are the top speeds of both all things being equal?  I'm not looking to max it out all the time and risk my safety but being able to ride at a sustained speed around 15-20 mph would be preferable.  Currently my MCM tops out at 17 mph due to my size and weight and yells at me constantly.

I also have found it a lot of fun taking my EUC on trails intended for mountain bikes.  I would think the 18" wheel would handle the terrain better, however, the higher torque from the ACM might be nice as well.

I also enjoy long trips.  Either choice would be the 1600 Wh variant.  The minor difference in price would not be a deciding factor.  

Lastly, I am going to need something that lasts.  I'll be dropping close to $2000 on this wheel and I will need it to last me quite a while.

Thanks everyone for any input you can provide.  :D     

7 hours ago, Acturbo said:

Will there be a noticeable stability difference from the MSuper to the ACM?  In my area there are many uneven roads and potholes so the 18" wheel could be a big help.

Yes, this is just physics, wheel model regardless.

An 18" x 2.5" tire will always feel noticeably more stable than a 16" x 2.125" tire, especially for potholes, rough terrain, etc in my experience (I've ridden both MSuper & ACM).

From others experiences what are the top speeds of both all things being equal?  I'm not looking to max it out all the time and risk my safety but being able to ride at a sustained speed around 15-20 mph would be preferable.  Currently my MCM tops out at 17 mph due to my size and weight and yells at me constantly.

This, again is physics: the larger diameter wheel (in this case, the 18"), with similar motor powers, will always be faster. Not to mention, according to ecodrift.ru power tests, the MSuperV3, along with the Gotway Monster and Rockwheel GT16, are the 3 most powerful production model EUCs you can get on the market today.

But both wheels should sustain 20mph for your rider weight on flats with no issue.

I also have found it a lot of fun taking my EUC on trails intended for mountain bikes.  I would think the 18" wheel would handle the terrain better, however, the higher torque from the ACM might be nice as well.

Riders have claimed higher torque for the 16" ACM, but the MSuperV3 is no slouch. You need to lean harder on the MSuperV3 due to the softer response (much different from the ACM response), but there is plenty of torque there if you know how to use it. (see @EU GUY's recent MSuperV3 review vid where he compares it against the ACM)

Lastly, I am going to need something that lasts.  I'll be dropping close to $2000 on this wheel and I will need it to last me quite a while.

This is always the factor with Gotway wheels.

Buying through Jason currently, yes, you will be getting the better motor connectors + good firmware board. But due to the compact housing of both ACM & MSuperV3, and the fact that battery+board live in the same compartment, both wheels have an innate overheating factor that might still melt cables under high and/or prolonged duress (prolonged riding in high temps, many sustained uphills and/or sustained max speeds, etc.)

Some, especially the heavier class riders, have done DIY fixes like adding vents and fans to the casing to remedy this. I'm personally also looking to explore such modifications on my Monster as well.

Also, as reported many times on the forums, note that the current Gotway shells are not very durable, in the advent of the inevitable crash / drop (although it seems the ACM shells might be a tad more durable than the MSuper shells, based on user reports)

18 hours ago, Acturbo said:

Hey everyone,

The time has come.  I have now put 350 miles on my MCM4 and have decided to upgrade to a newer better faster bigger longer lasting wheel.  So here goes....................

First things first - I know some of these wheels have suffered from the Gotway Oscillation issue.  This wheel will be coming from Jason.  Have all these concerns for the most part been resolved?

Now that that's out of the way here goes:

I have heard much praise from everyone regarding the ACM, I see lots of people reporting that it is their favorite wheel.  I have actually ridden the ACM a couple of weeks ago during a group ride.  I can say with my limited time with it it was very enjoyable and felt very stable and fast compared to the MCM4.  I have never ridden the MSuper.  Here are my questions:

My current size/weight is 6'1" 220 lbs.  I am on the heavier side for EUC riders.  Bigger wheel may be better for me since I am on the heavier side.

I also enjoy long trips.  Either choice would be the 1600 Wh variant.  The minor difference in price would not be a deciding factor.  

Thanks everyone for any input you can provide.  :D     

Based on your criteria I would highly recommend the MSuper. The new (84v) version of the MSuper is now much closer to the ACM. I'm a big fan of the ACM and it's still my favorite wheel. But after recently upgrading my MSuper to the 1600wh MSuper I think it's harder for me to say that the ACM is far superior.

Given your weight and height I really think the MSuper will be a better fit for you. The MSuper is a fantastic wheel for the street and trails.

I assume that you are familiar with the general quality issues that surround Gotway wheels. If you are looking for the lowest risk wheel and the most consumer friendly experience go with KingSong. But if you're OK with living a little more on the edge in order that you can experience the awesomeness of a Gotway performance wheel, buy the MSuper. It's an amazing wheel :D

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Based on your criteria I would highly recommend the MSuper. The new (84v) version of the MSuper is now much closer to the ACM. I'm a big fan of the ACM and it's still my favorite wheel. But after recently upgrading my MSuper to the 1600wh MSuper I think it's harder for me to say that the ACM is far superior.

Given your weight and height I really think the MSuper will be a better fit for you. The MSuper is a fantastic wheel for the street and trails.

I assume that you are familiar with the general quality issues that surround Gotway wheels. If you are looking for the lowest risk wheel and the most consumer friendly experience go with KingSong. But if you're OK with living a little more on the edge in order that you can experience the awesomeness of a Gotway performance wheel, buy the MSuper. It's an amazing wheel :D

Thanks for the help guys.  I just placed my order with Jason for the MSuper 1600.  It's scheduled to be here on Monday!! Guess I'll have to putt around on the MCM4 for another few days while I patiently await my new toy.  :P  

Thanks again for answering my questions guys.  Much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

You might consider the option to sit down during long trips. I have the MSuper V3+. The seat is really low making it awkward to sit down especially for tall guys. If sitting down is an option preferred, I would go for KingSong 18.

On 08/08/2017 at 11:15 PM, Marty Backe said:

Is that a recent upgrade, that 1600wh? My local reseller only seems to sell the 820 or 1300 wh versions.

13 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Is that a recent upgrade, that 1600wh? My local reseller only seems to sell the 820 or 1300 wh versions.

It's been available for much of the year.

There's four of the ACM and msuper V3 each (it's actually the same battery and motor for both wheels, just some firmware differences):

• 67.2V 680Wh
  • 67.2V 820Wh
  • 84V 1300Wh, sometimes called the "s" version, e.g. msuper V3s
  • 84V 1600Wh, sometimes called the "s+" version, e.g. ACMs+

There are no differences besides the battery sizes for each voltage (2900mAh cells for the smaller ones, same number of 3500mAh cells in the bigger ones).

8 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

You might consider the option to sit down during long trips. I have the MSuper V3+. The seat is really low making it awkward to sit down especially for tall guys. If sitting down is an option preferred, I would go for KingSong 18.

I have a feeling I would enjoy having a seat even for shorter trips.  I tried recreating the seated position on my V8 by squatting low and was able to visualize how it could be a lot of fun.  I have a lot of empty sidewalks in my environment that I think would be well-suited to seated riding. 

On 8/8/2017 at 4:15 PM, Marty Backe said:

Based on your criteria I would highly recommend the MSuper. 

Given your weight and height I really think the MSuper will be a better fit for you. 

With the variety of wheels you own, you'd probably be in the best situation to do a true comparison between the various wheel sizes and models. While salesmen do ride a greater variety, I'm skeptical of their opinions concerning wheels.

Suppose you were to take all your wheels (if you own a pickup truck) and drive to a certain location, and then ride each wheel through that location. Some wheels would be so obviously bad, some would be ok, and some would be excellent. Then if you were to drive to a different location, and ride each wheel, then some wheels which would be bad would be excellent, and versa.

Not really sure how the range of each wheel could be assessed. I suppose one could run out of juice, and then compare any wheel to walking it. I'm actually serious, as I've been forced to walk all my wheels long distances (more than 1.5 miles) at one time, all by my own mistakes.

Some locations off the top of my head:

--To a mall, trolley in a mall.

--In a smooth park.

--In a rough park.

--On public transportation, with and without steps. My V5 with the bag doesn't warrant a glance whereby my KS16 with lights becomes a celebrity.

--To and from work, long and short distances, over rough or improved sidewalks.

--Rain or dry.

--Through crowds, downtown. You might count how often you get stopped.

--Through a ghetto.

--Grocery shopping. A Monster would be terrible but so would an i5 which would make carrying bags difficult.

--Carrying other people.

--Group riding, in urban, rural, rough, and smooth pavements.

--While wearing a suit; the exposed wheels might throw mud on it.

--On handicap ramps that have 180 degree turns.

--In or near a dogpark, as some wheel's hum trigger dogs.

14 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

With the variety of wheels you own, you'd probably be in the best situation to do a true comparison between the various wheel sizes and models. While salesmen do ride a greater variety, I'm skeptical of their opinions concerning wheels.

Suppose you were to take all your wheels (if you own a pickup truck) and drive to a certain location, and then ride each wheel through that location. Some wheels would be so obviously bad, some would be ok, and some would be excellent. Then if you were to drive to a different location, and ride each wheel, then some wheels which would be bad would be excellent, and versa.

Not really sure how the range of each wheel could be assessed. I suppose one could run out of juice, and then compare any wheel to walking it. I'm actually serious, as I've been forced to walk all my wheels long distances (more than 1.5 miles) at one time, all by my own mistakes.

Some locations off the top of my head:

--To a mall, trolley in a mall.

--In a smooth park.

--In a rough park.

--On public transportation, with and without steps. My V5 with the bag doesn't warrant a glance whereby my KS16 with lights becomes a celebrity.

--To and from work, long and short distances, over rough or improved sidewalks.

--Rain or dry.

--Through crowds, downtown. You might count how often you get stopped.

--Through a ghetto.

--Grocery shopping. A Monster would be terrible but so would an i5 which would make carrying bags difficult.

--Carrying other people.

--Group riding, in urban, rural, rough, and smooth pavements.

--While wearing a suit; the exposed wheels might throw mud on it.

--On handicap ramps that have 180 degree turns.

--In or near a dogpark, as some wheel's hum trigger dogs.

These would be great tests. However, doing them would turn this enjoyable passion into a not so enjoyable job :(

Archived