Monster Axle Nut(s) Loose - trend?

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I'm not criticizing, but I'm confused. What does not having having kids or not remodeling 2 bathrooms have to do with Gotway vs KingSong :confused1:

Ask @CaptainKBLS, or at least read what he wrote above.  Not having kids and not remodeling 2 bathrooms has to do with *it* not being 'my' criteria.  This was from @CaptainKBLS.  His criteria.  *His*. 

1 hour ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Let's break this down.  I'm looking for a consumer product which means I just want to get on, press forward or backward.

I love learning new things but I'm just too busy (full time job, full time with kids, remodelling two bathrooms, currency trader) and don't want to be a EUC techy.

At the current technology, does all EUC require you to be a EUC techy?  or specifically is one brand closer to consumer vs having to be a techy (KS vs GW for example).

By *his* criteria, I believe that KS is "closer" to consumer vs having to be a techie *at this moment*.  Disagree?  "Gotway is like a sports car from the 60's/70's?  ... powerful, but finicky to maintain?" 

See you on the trails. :)

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, dpong said:

Ask @CaptainKBLS, or at least read what he wrote above.  Not having kids and not remodeling 2 bathrooms has to do with *it* not being 'my' criteria.  This was from @CaptainKBLS.  His criteria.  *His*. 

By *his* criteria, I believe that KS is "closer" to consumer vs having to be a techie *at this moment*.  Disagree?  "Gotway is like a sports car from the 60's/70's?  ... powerful, but finicky to maintain?" 

See you on the trails. :)

Oh, sorry. I didn't associate what you wrote with what he wrote. Never mind.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

or specifically is one brand closer to consumer vs having to be a techy

there is, it's called InMotion. The main downside is the limited choice of battery size (basically 460Wh only), but other than that... See also 

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

In the batch of 50x or so ACMs+ that we have in the wild, 3x have had spontaneous MOSFET failures (within the first two weeks of ownership), all at low speed, so maybe there's some back-emf/cross-over phase shorts, hardware manufacturing defect, or something. Another three have had their Wheelnuts come loose. As per usual, when pressed about releasing statistical data, GW contacts are completely closed lip—but in all fairness, this secrecy culture is not unique to GW. 

IMO more openness with statistical faults would be in their favour, since it would give some context to the odd  report, that might otherwise give the impression that it's a general crisis, when in fact it's isolated. 

I love it when you provide us some 'local' statistics.

Regarding the wheel nuts. I've been thinking, they should weld the brackets to the axles and forego nuts. The only downside is that new motors have to be shipped with the brackets attached. And how often are motors actually replaced anyway? Or just do what other wheel manufacturers do because apparently only Gotway has an issue with loose pedal brackets.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 8/4/2017 at 11:45 PM, Marty Backe said:

So after I saw first hand @Sven's loose axle nut, I have now determined that mine is loose too. Over the last month or so I observed I slight 'looseness' in how the Monster handled. It's been a couple of weeks since I rode it but today it was unmistakable, particularly after seeing a worse case on @Sven's Monster.

So now I get to take my Monster apart. Hopefully I'll be able to tighten the nuts.

I have just shy of 600 miles on it, and I never jump off of curbs, etc.

The post is made so that we can catch a trend if other Monster owners start reporting the same symptoms. I have one of the original Monsters, but I'm sure there are people with more mileage than me since I split my riding between four wheels.

What does a loose axle feel like? I just got my tesla and want to run through a checklist of possible issues before they come up