Should I get a V5, or is it underpowered?

Tom Fagerland

Main issue: I iz heavy. 107kg at the moment, though I hope to descend gradually...

The V5 is for some reason really cheap locally, which is really weird, since EUCs are not popular around here. It's available for 450USD, which is actually very cheap here, since we have a 25% VAT and shipping batteries of this size is impossible to do cheaply. 

But since I'm 107 kg, I assume I won't be able to ride for very long at a time, and while I'm probably never going to get a 22", the wheel size and engine size is probably also going to be an issue...

Note: I am for sure not buying it until I am finished learning, since I still don't know if I can use it properly. The price is permanently lowered, it's not a temporary sale, and it's actually been at that price for months. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is a V5 and not a V5F, I would be hesitant. I believe they have 450W vs 550W rated motor power. You might start to use the wheel a lot, in which case a proper wheel choice is probably more import than saving some $$$. Or, you buy another one if you grow out of it, I think many of us have been going down this road. 

1 minute ago, Mono said:

If it is a V5 and not a V5F, I would be hesitant. I believe they have 450W vs 550W rated motor power. You might start to use the wheel a lot, in which case a proper wheel choice is probably more import than saving some $$$. Or, you buy another one if you grow out of it, I think many of us have been going down this road. 

Exactly what I'm afraid of. 

I would love to get input from someone of the same weight...class... as me, though. If I can actually get 15km out of it in semi-hilly country, I might consider it, but if it's closer to 5 it's a waste of space and money.

I think a V5 would be a mistake at your weight and you risk injury from overload in certain conditions. If I recall the eWheels website said that anyone north of 100KG should look to the V8 instead (and I think that was written for the more powerful V5F, not the V5). I'll admit the price is right but I think the V5 would be a bit risky and probably disappointing for you.

1 hour ago, Tom Fagerland said:

Exactly what I'm afraid of. 

I would love to get input from someone of the same weight...class... as me, though. If I can actually get 15km out of it in semi-hilly country, I might consider it, but if it's closer to 5 it's a waste of space and money.

There is a distinction to be made between motor power and battery capacity. Low motor power should by no means prevent you from going far. Can you tell us the battery specs? A range of 6% of the batteries Wh in km is a realistic range, that is, 480Wh x 0.06 means 29km, 340Wh x 0.06 means 20km. According to my notes, the V5 has a 144Wh battery, that is only around 8.5km range, probably even less given there is some offset in disadvantage to small batteries.

250Wh is IMHO a lower limit under which you should think about rather three times before to make the call. A smallish battery may also be a good explanation for the smallish price tag.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

340Wh x 0.06 means 20km.

Not for his weight. I weigh 91kg and I couldn't get past 17km on a 340Wh Lhotz. And that was pushing it to the last drop. Riding stops to be fun at 12km.

For me the formula works surprisingly well  if I substract 100 from the advertized Wh, then multiply by 0.06.

And that is for riding sensibly, not pushing the last drop.

I'd like to create a formula that takes the rider weight in consideration...

Also be aware, not only is the motor weak, the small battery (144Wh apparently) looks like it is 1P (no parallel packs) which makes it easy to get a cut-out by overpowering the battery as well (drawing too much current from one pack instead of many in parallel which would distribute the load)! Doubly unsafe (overpowering both motor and battery is a concern)! I would not recommend this for a normal weight adult, and certainly not for you. One emergency brake and you might lie on the ground.

In general, I'd say 500W or less or 1P or2P battery systems are no longer state-of-the-art and should be avoided (for adults, lighter kids might be another thing).

This is interesting. Surely the load must be fairly easy to insert into a formula... Not necessarily without making the formula far more complicated, since it won't be a 1:1 load/use relationship, but some maths/physics geniuses must be able to make a generalized formula which works most of the time...

You guys are right, the offer is fantastic, but for me it'll just be a waste of money. The V8 isn't available locally, but then most of these aren't, so having to buy in the EU was always a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Tom Fagerland said:

This is interesting. Surely the load must be fairly easy to insert into a formula... Not necessarily without making the formula far more complicated, since it won't be a 1:1 load/use relationship, but some maths/physics geniuses must be able to make a generalized formula which works most of the time...

Broadly speaking, energy consumption unrelated to drag is pretty much linear in the weight of the vehicle. But then, drag becomes the most relevant consumer when going above 12-15km/h-or-so. The only way to find out with reasonable certainty is to do measurements. Even if you have a model/formulas, you still need to insert the coefficients/constants which apply to the specific device you want to know about. 

2 minutes ago, Mono said:

Broadly speaking, energy consumption unrelated to drag is pretty much linear in the weight of the vehicle. But then, drag becomes the most relevant consumer when going above 12-15km/h-or-so. The only way to find out with reasonable certainty is to do measurements. Even if you have a model/formulas, you still need to insert the coefficients/constants which apply to the specific device you want to know about. 

Honestly, this sounds like a web app waiting to happen... Pick your wheel, insert your height and weight and you see the relevant pieces of information...

I can make the app, but I'd need the data and formula :)

Edit: You could also make a sliding scale showing how far you get at which avg. speed.

7 hours ago, Tom Fagerland said:

I have no idea why I wrote Ninebot in the title.

Ninebot one E+ would probably carry your weight for about 12 miles I think, it has a 320 wh battery, 15s2p and the price has come down in the last year.  https://www.facebook.com/1045013842227440/photos/1135499446512212/

you might try Ninebot Norway and see if they have any used ones, also speedyfeetUK sometimes have trade ins for sale.

44 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Ninebot one E+ would probably carry your weight for about 12 miles I think, it has a 320 wh battery, 15s2p and the price has come down in the last year.  https://www.facebook.com/1045013842227440/photos/1135499446512212/

you might try Ninebot Norway and see if they have any used ones, also speedyfeetUK sometimes have trade ins for sale.

Yeah, but it's twice the price :)

16 minutes ago, Tom Fagerland said:

Sure, but if I'm spending twice the price, that's not the only wheel available at that price.

I see what you are saying. Sorry I thought you were still toying with the V5 to save some money. Just checking to save you a bad purchase. ;)

3 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I see what you are saying. Sorry I thought you were still toying with the V5 to save some money. Just checking to save you a bad purchase. ;)

Nah, it's just this one weirdly priced wheel. If I don't get it - and I won't - price becomes less of an issue. 

19 hours ago, Tom Fagerland said:

Main issue: I iz heavy. 107kg at the moment, though I hope to descend gradually...

The V5 is for some reason really cheap locally, which is really weird, since EUCs are not popular around here. It's available for 450USD, which is actually very cheap here, since we have a 25% VAT and shipping batteries of this size is impossible to do cheaply. 

But since I'm 107 kg, I assume I won't be able to ride for very long at a time, and while I'm probably never going to get a 22", the wheel size and engine size is probably also going to be an issue...

Note: I am for sure not buying it until I am finished learning, since I still don't know if I can use it properly. The price is permanently lowered, it's not a temporary sale, and it's actually been at that price for months. 

Get a V8, definitely. The V5F is a really nice looking wheel, great quality, but answering your question: yes, it will be underpowered for you. And if this is your first wheel, you can consider a 16" all-rider like the V8. You can also consider KingSong KS16, a bit more expensive, but you can get a larger battery. If you want something cheaper and you are sure 14" is right for you, the KingSong KS-14D will do the job - 800 W rated power motor, 2400 W max. power output, up to 30 km/h top speed. It's very powerful like for a 14" and with 420 Wh battery it gives you better range than V5 / V5F. About 500 W and 25 km/h is fine, but 800 W and 30 km/h is just perfect :) 

Ninebot One E+ is a great wheel overall, too, but it's too weak even for me. Same story as with the V5F, but the V5F may actually perform even better than the E+. 

I wish Inmotion would release a V5-like wheel with their gorgeous design and at least KS-14D internals. That would be something I could consider as my daily driver :)

It's better to spend some more money once to get what really suits your needs, than buying a wrong wheel for you and have to buy another one later.

3 hours ago, Justina said:

Get a V8, definitely. The V5F is a really nice looking wheel, great quality, but answering your question: yes, it will be underpowered for you. And if this is your first wheel, you can consider a 16" all-rider like the V8. You can also consider KingSong KS16, a bit more expensive, but you can get a larger battery. If you want something cheaper and you are sure 14" is right for you, the KingSong KS-14D will do the job - 800 W rated power motor, 2400 W max. power output, up to 30 km/h top speed. It's very powerful like for a 14" and with 420 Wh battery it gives you better range than V5 / V5F. About 500 W and 25 km/h is fine, but 800 W and 30 km/h is just perfect :) 

Ninebot One E+ is a great wheel overall, too, but it's too weak even for me. Same story as with the V5F, but the V5F may actually perform even better than the E+. 

I wish Inmotion would release a V5-like wheel with their gorgeous design and at least KS-14D internals. That would be something I could consider as my daily driver :)

It's better to spend some more money once to get what really suits your needs, than buying a wrong wheel for you and have to buy another one later.

Thanks. I think the V8 looks better than the KingSong wheels. Mostly because of the features and "mature technology", which is the general theme I have gotten from different threads in this forum. I don't especially care about battery at this point in time, mostly because I get tired after five minutes practicing. I know that will change, but I still think four hours is something I will never need. I might be wrong, but at that point there will hopefully be better wheels available anyway.

4 hours ago, Tom Fagerland said:

Thanks. I think the V8 looks better than the KingSong wheels. Mostly because of the features and "mature technology", which is the general theme I have gotten from different threads in this forum. I don't especially care about battery at this point in time, mostly because I get tired after five minutes practicing. I know that will change, but I still think four hours is something I will never need. I might be wrong, but at that point there will hopefully be better wheels available anyway.

I'm loving my V8 right now. I'm finding the range while I'm learning to be excellent (low average speeds but lots of accelerating, braking, turning). I'm only 70kg though. I think 20 miles per charge would be the upper limit you could expect from the V8 on flatter ground. The Qol features are nice too. Don't rule out the Ks16s though if price is not too much different for you.The V8, while more appropriate for you than a V5, is still the weaker wheel. The motor and battery configuration is the better choice for your weight.

33 minutes ago, Tom Fagerland said:

I also have no idea where I would get a V8. The V5/V5F is the only one for sale locally. But as I say, I might as well order in the EU and pick it up in sweden - it's always been a traditional norwegian loophole...

Speedyfeet stocks it now (https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/featured-collection/products/inmotion-v8). He has a good YouTube review of the V8 too. Also Project 42 (https://proj42.co.uk/inmotion/inmotion-v8-electric-unicycle) run by @vladmarks. Both are in the UK. Good for EU purchases the next 18 months. Both the same price. Not sure how VAT works in cross EU purchases. Not sure of other EU dealers.

On 05/08/2017 at 5:20 PM, Tom Fagerland said:

Heh... for the next 18 months...:D

Thing is, even now most of the dispatches between the UK and Norway are still eligible for customs charges (as far as I could recall). So technically, you're almost better off bringing one from Sweden on a car :(

15 minutes ago, vladmarks said:

Thing is, even now most of the dispatches between the UK and Norway are still eligible for customs charges (as far as I could recall). So technically, you're almost better off bringing one from Sweden on a car :(

On 8/5/2017 at 11:19 AM, Tom Fagerland said:

I also have no idea where I would get a V8. The V5/V5F is the only one for sale locally. But as I say, I might as well order in the EU and pick it up in sweden - it's always been a traditional norwegian loophole...

I think that is the plan with the "Norwegian Loophole".

Archived