Good 16" EUC to bring on train/bus?

chrio

I recently bought an EUC (Airwheel X5 130Wh) to speed up my traveltimes between home-train and train-work. I feel that I have outgrown it though. The range isn't great, and the beeping and leanback starting at 14km/h is annoying - so now I am already on the hunt for my second EUC.

I'm looking for a 16" EUC that's small enough to keep with me on a train or bus, but also can do 25km/h before complaining. I would also like something with a better range. 25-30km would be useful since I can see myself taking longer trips in the future, especially on a better machine.

I have looked around a bit, and models like IPS121 looks good (at least on paper), but there are so many brands and models to choose between. Also, I live in Sweden, and the range of brands and models are less than ideal, but if I don't find anything suitable close to home I might import one.

Given the above criteria, what brands models should I check out?

@chrio, why does it have to be 16"? 

If you are using the wheel on paved surfaces and want it to be small and light for carrying on public transport then a good 14" wheel would be much better, the obvious candidates are the Kingsong KS-14 range which are capable of 30km/h or the Inmotion V5F which is capable of 25km/h.

For pure commuting the new IPS I5 is really well designed for carrying on public transport and very light but range and speed probably do not meet your criteria.

If it absolutely has to be 16" the most transportable 30km/h wheel I am aware of is the Inmotion V8. That should have around 3 times the range of that Airwheel. Only If range and high speed are more important than size and weight then the Gotway and Kingsong 16" models come with high speeds and large batteries.

Do not also forget the ability to move the wheel around where you cannot ride (for example: in railway stations, etc.) A trolley handle is ideal in these situations. Both the Inmotion V5 & V8 have handles, the V8 neatly integrated and the V5 as a sometimes optional extra which is very well implemented. Both of these wheels have a switch under the handle allowing the wheel to be picked up to carry up stairs, etc. without powering down - IMHO, invaluable if being used for commuting. The Latest KingSong 14" and 16" models also have built in trolley handles but no kill switch.

Really depends on how much money you can/want to spend, and how much you want from the wheel.

Inmotions are perfect, quality commuter wheels.

Kingsong 16 variants (especially 16S) if you want more (especially range = battery capacity).

They all have the trolley handles that you need. Inmotions have the cut-off switch too.

23 minutes ago, chrio said:

25-30km would be useful since I can see myself taking longer trips in the future, especially on a better machine.

This is an indication that you should have a good look at the KS16S. Pricier and less sleek/thin for taking on the train than the Inmotions, but one step up in power and range. Never underestimate how much you might enjoy "just one more detour" and how fast your leisure ride distances may grow.

15 minutes ago, Keith said:

If it absolutely has to be 16" the most transportable 30km/h wheel I am aware of is the Inmotion V8

15 minutes ago, Keith said:

The Latest KingSong 14" and 16" models also have built in trolley handles but no kill switch.

Yes if a 16" wheel is absolute I would buy either the V8 or KS16S. The integrated trolley handles are awesome! I rolled the KS16S up and down a grassy hill at the lake last night with the trolley handle extended to show some friends and it was impressively easy. Plus the music and lights were a hit! 

I am just getting use to the KS16S (suppose to be my wife's wheel) but it is heading towards being my favorite. Don't get me wrong I love the  V5F+, V8 and ACM but the KS16S is very easy to transport, cosmetically pleasing, has enough adequate power for all of my current needs and the integrated music is a plus!

36 minutes ago, chrio said:

I recently bought an EUC (Airwheel X5 130Wh) to speed up my traveltimes between home-train and train-work. I feel that I have outgrown it though. The range isn't great, and the beeping and leanback starting at 14km/h is annoying - so now I am already on the hunt for my second EUC.

I'm looking for a 16" EUC that's small enough to keep with me on a train or bus, but also can do 25km/h before complaining. I would also like something with a better range. 25-30km would be useful since I can see myself taking longer trips in the future, especially on a better machine.

I have looked around a bit, and models like IPS121 looks good (at least on paper), but there are so many brands and models to choose between. Also, I live in Sweden, and the range of brands and models are less than ideal, but if I don't find anything suitable close to home I might import one.

I am commuting nearly daily...and it depends on the weather if there is also train/bus/tram mixed in.

So my answer for this would be:

As long as your wheel has a rectractable trolley, the wheelsize and even the weight does not matter! I am doing this 5 days a week on my Msuper V3 and -since some days- also with my Ks18S, on which i build an trolley, to push it easily around!

Yeah, this are heavy wheels, both are over 20 kg, but this does not really matter, as i dont have to carry them around, or not more than a few steps.

The perfect wheel commuting wise, i would say is the Ks16s, best trolley on the market, and the v8, best functions on the wheel. 

54 minutes ago, Keith said:

I'm sure that @Jason McNeil will not mind me posting this comparison image from his https://www.ewheels.com/ website which is a huge help in comparing the 14" and 16" Inmotion and Kingsong wheelsInmotion-vs-King-Song.png 

Just bear in mind that prices are valid only in the US where Inmotion had been consumed by Solowheel. Elsewhere Inmotion will likely be cheaper than the Kingsong equivalent.

Thanks for all the replies!

16" is not an absolute requirement, but I feel that it would be better for me than 14" since part of my current commute is on gravel, and that section is the most troublesome for me at the moment. I also believe that I will see increased usage of my EUC in the future, and want to use it on gravel and uneven terrain every now and then.

There is a sweet spot for the size that I am trying to find. Large enough to be comfortable and small enough to bring with me on the train. My current one fits under my seat on the train with room to spare, so I'm hoping that I can upgrade to 16" for the reasons I mentioned.

The weight is less of an issue, especially with a trolley handle. I spend a long time on a single train, and other than that I pretty much travel from my housedoor to the train, and from the train to work in one go.

Both the KS 16S and the Inmotion V8 looks really interesting for me. The downside are the pricetags, but in the long run it may be worth it.

32 minutes ago, chrio said:

The weight is less of an issue, especially with a trolley handle. I spend a long time on a single train, and other than that I pretty much travel from my housedoor to the train, and from the train to work in one go.

Both the KS 16S and the Inmotion V8 looks really interesting for me. The downside are the pricetags, but in the long run it may be worth it.

Minor sideways pressure on telescopic trolleys easily bends or breaks them. For crowds that jostle you such as on a train station or bus, the rigid trolley of the V5F is more appropriate. In crowds I've experienced a lot of people not noticing the wheel, and slightly tripping over it, with the end result that they lean against the wheel and you. This happens always when standing still.

I still recommend a 16 inch wheel due to the increased safety during a pre-coffee morning commute, but I would carry the wheel as much as possible and foregoing the trolley most of the time.

4 hours ago, chrio said:

Hey I live in Manhattan and I use the InMotionV8  and bring it on the train/bus I find the light weight and trolley handle useful, it’s also quite nimble at navigating around people on the sidewalk.

Kingsong is bulkier, though. And 16S is heavier than 16B =\

And I really don't need that range, 340 WH of my wheel is enough for me and even have the necessary extra. So if you don't know where you need that range - you well might prefer weight of the V8.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to post an extra thanks to everyone that replied in the thread.I appreciate all the input.

Soo.. soon after my post above I noticed that one of the mods had posted in a thread called "£300 off KS16S - Limited Time Offer", and to make the story short: two days ago my new KingSong 16S arrived. :)

While it is a little bit bigger than I thought, it still fits under the seat on my bus/train (barely), and it's absolutely wonderful to ride! I have 22km on it so far, using "player" mode and the default speed limits. The default speedwarning setting is also about as fast as I want to go without investing in a helmet, at least for now.

On 7/30/2017 at 11:05 AM, chrio said:

Thanks for all the replies!

16" is not an absolute requirement, but I feel that it would be better for me than 14" since part of my current commute is on gravel, and that section is the most troublesome for me at the moment. I also believe that I will see increased usage of my EUC in the future, and want to use it on gravel and uneven terrain every now and then.

There is a sweet spot for the size that I am trying to find. Large enough to be comfortable and small enough to bring with me on the train. My current one fits under my seat on the train with room to spare, so I'm hoping that I can upgrade to 16" for the reasons I mentioned.

Gravel should really be no problem for a decent 14" wheel.  16" would obviously be better but if I can take my MCM4 HS(14") on mountain biking trails there's no reason it shouldn't be able to handle a little gravel.  I've ridden mine through medium size as well as smaller rocks, dirt, small tree roots, and more.  Obviously skill level and experience would play a part as well depending on how long you've been riding.  :)

2 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Gravel should really be no problem for a decent 14" wheel.  16" would obviously be better but if I can take my MCM4 HS(14") on mountain biking trails there's no reason it shouldn't be able to handle a little gravel.  I've ridden mine through medium size as well as smaller rocks, dirt, small tree roots, and more.  Obviously skill level and experience would play a part as well depending on how long you've been riding.  :)

If I had started off with a better 14" than the Airwheel X5 I may never have started looking for a bigger wheel. I suspect that some of the drawbacks that I blamed on the wheel size actually is due to the weak engine and different programming on my first EUC.

Bigger wheel size is helpful in some cases though, which is another reason I was in search for a 16" EUC. I realize that it's not only benefits with bigger wheels, size and weight also goes up, and for most commuters I think it is better to find a good 14", even if I myself decided on the KS16S and is happy with my choice.

43 minutes ago, chrio said:

If I had started off with a better 14" than the Airwheel X5 I may never have started looking for a bigger wheel. I suspect that some of the drawbacks that I blamed on the wheel size actually is due to the weak engine and different programming on my first EUC.

I started of with an MCM2s and still came to the conclusion that 14" is just a little too small to be on a safe enough side for smallish to medium range commutes (1-way 2-10km). Funnily enough, off road is lesser a problem, because off road I am always prepared to separate from the wheel no matter what size the wheel has.

49 minutes ago, Mono said:

I started of with an MCM2s and still came to the conclusion that 14" is just a little too small to be on a safe enough side for smallish to medium range commutes (1-way 2-10km). Funnily enough, off road is lesser a problem, because off road I am always prepared to separate from the wheel no matter what size the wheel has.

I don't use my wheel for commutes but do take it on long trips.  30-40+ miles at times.  I find no problem with it even at those distances.  When my MSuper arrives on Monday I will probably have a different opinion since the 14" is all I have ever known.  :D

I take my 16" Lhotz on the bus every day.  Our busses have benches in front where it's easy to slide it under the seat.

One thing you should consider is if you care if the side of the case gets scratched up.  I think the V8, which was mentioned above, is rounded glossy plastic.  Laying it on its side on the bus floor might scratch up the case.  My Lhotz sits on the shin-pad and folded pedal (and I have other padding on it).  So the metal pedal gets some scuffs on the bottom, but that's ok with me.

If you want to stand it up in front of your seat, hanging your legs over it, you'll probably need a 14" wheel.  I think the 16" wheels would be too big for that.

You might be able to stand the wheel next to your seat, in the aisle, if you leave the power on and hold the handle.  But it might get in the way of people using the aisle.

Archived