FLAF TIRE!!!!

MagicCow

So this morning, I was about to be on my way to work, and my tire was flat, not fully deflated but, I wouldn't be able to ride it this morning. So I bought some fix a flat, but I was thinking, when I get home, should I look into a patch or just buy a new tire?!?!?

If you fill it, does it take a while to get soft? If so the fix a flat might work. Otherwise I would pull the tube and see if you can patch it with a rubber patch. 

This video shows how you can patch the tube without even opening the case if there is enough wheel exposed. 

On 7/28/2017 at 3:53 PM, MagicCow said:

So this morning, I was about to be on my way to work, and my tire was flat, not fully deflated but, I wouldn't be able to ride it this morning. So I bought some fix a flat, but I was thinking, when I get home, should I look into a patch or just buy a new tire?!?!?

You should fill the tire with Slime. There are plenty of articles on this forum (use the search function in the upper right of the screen.

Here's a video that demonstrates Slime's effectiveness:

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, dmethvin said:

If you fill it, does it take a while to get soft? If so the fix a flat might work. Otherwise I would pull the tube and see if you can patch it with a rubber patch. 

This video shows how you can patch the tube without even opening the case if there is enough wheel exposed. 

Yea, I used fix-a-flat... That same, day, it took two days but it's flat again, not fully flat so it's a really slow leak, I thought I found it, guess not or does the gas from fix-a-flat burn out, I will try air again when I get home, I work up late and didn't have time to fill it with air. 

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You should fill the tire with Slime. There are plenty of articles on this forum (use the search function in the upper right of the screen.

Slim... I look into that, because the leak is SUPER slow.. two days after using fix-a-flat still not fully flat, but I think it's from the fix-a-flat gas it uses as a temporary inflator, I also did search the form, I couldn't find any on repairs for flat tires. But I posted this at work. So a lot of things are restricted.

1 hour ago, MagicCow said:

Yea, I used fix-a-flat... That same, day, it took two days but it's flat again, not fully flat so it's a really slow leak, I thought I found it, guess not or does the gas from fix-a-flat burn out, I will try air again when I get home, I work up late and didn't have time to fill it with air. 

Slim... I look into that, because the leak is SUPER slow.. two days after using fix-a-flat still not fully flat, but I think it's from the fix-a-flat gas it uses as a temporary inflator, I also did search the form, I couldn't find any on repairs for flat tires. But I posted this at work. So a lot of things are restricted.

Even better is use Google to search this forum. As an example, type this into the Google search bar:  site:forum.electricunicycle.org flat

How much slime is suitable? My bottle says 118 ml (4 ounce I think?) for a bike wheel and 237 ml for a dirtbike. EUCs are not mentioned!!!! :P

And i doubt that the amounts given are calculated for a 16 inch wheel....

25 minutes ago, flass said:

How much slime is suitable? My bottle says 118 ml (4 ounce I think?) for a bike wheel and 237 ml for a dirtbike. EUCs are not mentioned!!!! :P

And i doubt that the amounts given are calculated for a 16 inch wheel....

I use 3oz for 14" & 16" wheels, 4oz for 18" wheels, and 8oz for 22" wheels.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I use 3oz for 14" & 16" wheels, 4oz for 18" wheels, and 8oz for 22" wheels.

Thanks! If you use 3oz, then I use 3oz, I trust you :). Now my tube is slimed! Have not had any chance to ride it yet after that though, but I don't expect it to be any different compared to without the green sludge.

2 hours ago, flass said:

Thanks! If you use 3oz, then I use 3oz, I trust you :). Now my tube is slimed! Have not had any chance to ride it yet after that though, but I don't expect it to be any different compared to without the green sludge.

I guarantee that you won't notice a thing, and now you can have peace of mind regarding future flats :thumbup: 

If it's still leaking after that you might want to be sure it's not the valve itself. Once it's filled put a little spit on the valve and make sure it doesn't bubble out. Also, always put on a valve cap because otherwise some dirt may get into the valve and you'll push the dirt in when you inflate the tire.

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

If it's still leaking after that you might want to be sure it's not the valve itself. Once it's filled put a little spit on the valve and make sure it doesn't bubble out. Also, always put on a valve cap because otherwise some dirt may get into the valve and you'll push the dirt in when you inflate the tire.

Slime is also known to help with slightly leaky valves.

I willpick up some slim. but If I just wanted to have a spare tire on deck, does this it require a tube too? Plus randomly now, the nipple you put air into, feels like it rubs from time to time? any ideas how to fix that?

19 hours ago, dmethvin said:

My valve is rubbing the inner top part of my EUC now. Everything else is fine, but the upper region is bulker up top and it rubs.

1 hour ago, MagicCow said:

I willpick up some slim. but If I just wanted to have a spare tire on deck, does this it require a tube too? Plus randomly now, the nipple you put air into, feels like it rubs from time to time? any ideas how to fix that?

The tire and tube are purchased separately. You'll have to put some serious mileage on the wheel to wear out the tire. If you're going to get a spare I would only bother with the tube.

53 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The tire and tube are purchased separately. You'll have to put some serious mileage on the wheel to wear out the tire. If you're going to get a spare I would only bother with the tube.

What size tube would I need, and could I get it from a Target, Wal-Mart, or Bike shop or do I need to special order one?

Due to the nature of the valve and it's required bend, your best bet is to buy the replacement tube from the dealer where you bought the wheel. I know that EWheels and Speedyfeet sell replacement tubes for the wheels that they sell. It's highly unlikely that you will find the proper tube in a local store.

You can search this forum or use Google to search and you'll find all kinds of commentary on replacement tubes and tires for EUCs.

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Due to the nature of the valve and it's required bend, your best bet is to buy the replacement tube from the dealer where you bought the wheel. I know that EWheels and Speedyfeet sell replacement tubes for the wheels that they sell. It's highly unlikely that you will find the proper tube in a local store.

You can search this forum or use Google to search and you'll find all kinds of commentary on replacement tubes and tires for EUCs.

Thanks Marty... I seem to fix the valve for the time being, but definitely buying another tube...

On 31/07/2017 at 8:02 AM, Marty Backe said:

I'm actually a bit disappointed in Slime due to your video. Regardless of Slime, you almost had a fall, had to stop your trip short, Uber home, and examine the wheel in your workshop.

Although, I do realize that you might've had dozens of such events without Slime. Still, I'm on (the wrong side of) the fence and I don't think I will Slime my wheel. 4200+ km of no issues, and most of it on dirt, even some harsh offroad.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I'm actually a bit disappointed in Slime due to your video. Regardless of Slime, you almost had a fall, had to stop your trip short, Uber home, and examine the wheel in your workshop.

Although, I do realize that you might've had dozens of such events without Slime. Still, I'm on (the wrong side of) the fence and I don't think I will Slime my wheel. 4200+ km of no issues, and most of it on dirt, even some harsh offroad.

A theory put forward was that the solid metal foreign object in Marty's tire was moving too much with respect to tire/tube flex with each tire revolution that it may have prevented the slime from sealing the hole. If he had pulled the staple on site and added the lost air he would likely have been on the move again in 5 minutes. Alas he had no pump. Game over on that occasion. It might be totally wrong but it seems a reasonable assumption.

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I only see potential benefits with no downsides. An analogy would be someone that was still injured in a car accident even though they wore seat belts. Using your reasoning you would then not use seat beats because they aren't always effective.

I assume that if you did get a flat you would use Slime to fix it instead of patching the tube?

Actually, maybe you don't need Slime if the vast majority of your riding is on dirt. I do a lot of urban riding where you are more likely to run over a man made object.

The bottom line is Slime is a type of insurance and I'm a firm believer in insurance. Where's the harm :confused1:

On 7/31/2017 at 1:02 AM, Marty Backe said:

I know that there are smaller portable sizes for the tire sealant that bicyclists can carry with them - maybe that can be better when you're on the go:

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-10003-Tube-Sealant-oz/dp/B000ENOPPO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9B59KDRKNZ174J87ER4Z

And in that vein - ever tried the Liquid Bandage stuff? That stuff's great for on-the-spot wound sealing - like tire sealant for human beings - my buddy swears by it:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=liquid+bandage

Marty, how come you don't use a digital tire inflator? I have one of those - they have the automatic cutoff - you just punch in the desired psi and they automatically cut off at that pressure. They're not that expensive, either:

https://www.amazon.com/SNAN-Inflator-Portable-Compressor-Bicycles-Basketballs/dp/B01HGNGV0Q/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1501794381&sr=8-13&keywords=digital+tire+inflator

Actually, what vendors should consider selling alongside their EUC products, is one of these portable digital pumps - but with a power connector to allow the EUC battery to drive them:

If you could use your EUC's battery to drive a small portable pump to reinflate your tire (after you've slimed it) then it might save you a whole lot of walking, if you get a flat far out somewhere.

57 minutes ago, sanman said:

I know that there are smaller portable sizes for the tire sealant that bicyclists can carry with them - maybe that can be better when you're on the go:

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-10003-Tube-Sealant-oz/dp/B000ENOPPO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9B59KDRKNZ174J87ER4Z

And in that vein - ever tried the Liquid Bandage stuff? That stuff's great for on-the-spot wound sealing - like tire sealant for human beings - my buddy swears by it:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=liquid+bandage

Marty, how come you don't use a digital tire inflator? I have one of those - they have the automatic cutoff - you just punch in the desired psi and they automatically cut off at that pressure. They're not that expensive, either:

https://www.amazon.com/SNAN-Inflator-Portable-Compressor-Bicycles-Basketballs/dp/B01HGNGV0Q/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1501794381&sr=8-13&keywords=digital+tire+inflator

At home I have a compressor and use that (has a built-in gauge so there's no guesswork.

In the field I opted for a hand pump for reliability, small size, and non-dependence on batteries.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Using your reasoning you would then not use seat beats because they aren't always effective.

No, I do see your point of view as well. But hearing how some car tyre shops hate or down right refuse to work with Slimed tires, and the few cases of clogged bicycle valves... And the fact that I havent had a puncture or a leak for 3600+ km. I'm just slightly too hesitant.

I assume that if you did get a flat you would use Slime to fix it instead of patching the tube?

Actually I think I would patch it. I haven't seen Slime for sale locally.

Actually, maybe you don't need Slime if the vast majority of your riding is on dirt. I do a lot of urban riding where you are more likely to run over a man made object.

Here we go, more fuel to the hesitant side! ;)

Archived