Do you guys even walk now?

ubertoad

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walk. Probably But my EUC is to replace my bicycle that I commute to work on. It's too hot in Florida to keep cycling in the summer. I am a little anxious that I'm about to loose about 4 hours of Cardio a week which has been hugely beneficial. I'm not sure if I will have the willpower to make up for it somehow. :mellow:

Our local high street lost all of its shops when a superstore opened a mile away, eventually they all reopened as takeaways. I've got a choice of Chinese, two Indians, kebabs and Pizza, Lebanese and good old fish and chips all less than half a mile away so at least walking there helped burn off all those sinful calories. Unfortunately, to my shame, I've wheeled there every time since I got my KingSong. 

I guess the wheel has about 50:50 replaced journeys I'd have done by car and journeys I would have done on foot. The only time I walk now is if my wife is with me, no chance of getting her on a wheel. 

Somehow though, I think I probably get more exercise than before. Bad knees run (sic) in the family so walking could be quite painful, surprisingly using the wheel causes no discomfort in my knees at all. 

Funny you should ask that.

I removed the trolley handle on my Inmotion V5F+ because I was using the wheel to walk around. That is, when not riding it I was using it to help me walk around especially up hills. Now I lug it around and am better for it.

I've become noticeably weaker since the beginning of this year, so about a month ago I set aside an hour per day to work out by jogging 3-5 miles per day, and lifting weights.

Don't fool yourself in thinking wheels are exercise. The opposite is true; like an astronaut you have to set aside time to work out your muscles.

I think it depends on how active you are on the wheels.  If you are not riding it all that long, then you really need to supplement it with some other form of exercise.  If you are learning it still take a lot of effort to ride.  Also rides on rough ground require work.  

I have an illness that prevents me to walk more than about 100m. A year ago I didn't do even that every week. Now I unicycle about 70km every day. For me it is a stupendious increase in time spent outdoors, and physical exercise as well. I'm doing so much better now.

41 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I have an illness that prevents me to walk more than about 100m. A year ago I didn't do even that every week. Now I unicycle about 70km every day. For me it is a stupendious increase in time spent outdoors, and physical exercise as well. I'm doing so much better now.

There definitely should be a consideration from authorities that these can be assistaive devices for those with impared mobility. Not everyone wants to ride a pensioners mobility scooter.

4 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

There definitely should be a consideration from authorities that these can be assistaive devices for those with impared mobility. Not everyone wants to ride a pensioners mobility scooter.

I know I'm an extremely rare case in that I can actually ride an EUC as well as anyone but not walk properly. The two wheeled Airwheel A3 on the other hand, it is mostly bought by mobility impared people. Atleast in Finland. It really should be labeled as such. And costs only a third of a regular wheelchair!

4 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

My biggest problem is that I am not a morning person. Soooo groggy in the morning...so I have not disciplined myself to take it to work every day. :(

Need to work on that.

Have you checked if you are a heavy snorer? ... (use a smartphone with an audiorecorder app if you are not sure) If so you might be suffering from intermittend blockage of your airways when you sleep - One of those positive pressure masks could change your life and make you a well rested morning person... (Know a guy that is very happy with using masks)

Yeah, anyone (like me) with plantars fasciitis should give an EUC a try. I had problems develop in both my feet for about 6 months, then was able to stretch and work out the pain from my right foot. My left foot is still giving me problems after about 18 months.

On my summer vacation last month I made it a point to do more EUC than walking. The EUC gave me no pain, but when I got back from vacation and had to walk ~1 mile a day, my pain was doubled. It hit me like a brick the first 2 days, could barely walk. It took about 2 weeks to get back to my "regular" pain level. So, resting your plantars fasciitis DOES NOT WORK. You have to work that pain out with exercise, stretching, walking, and therapy.  

But I have noticed that EUC is (mostly) pain free. Only slight discomfort from ankles and using feet in a different way, but that has worked itself out quickly and made me more relaxed on the ride, which really helps with control.

@Roland That is a minor issue for me. I am a very happy deep sleeper, usually have vivid colorful dreams I can remember. But I'm sure if you ask my wife she'd tell you I make noise.

What is a bigger problem for me is being a night owl...getting only 5 hrs of sleep. Seems like no matter how tired I am, as soon as the sun goes down I wake up. 

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

27 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I know I'm an extremely rare case in that I can actually ride an EUC as well as anyone but not walk properly. The two wheeled Airwheel A3 on the other hand, it is mostly bought by mobility impared people. Atleast in Finland. It really should be labeled as such. And costs only a third of a regular wheelchair!

I'm probably not as bad as you, with you not being able to walk more than 100m, but my spine issues do mean that the more walking I do the more and longer I am in pain afterwards. It can take up to a week for me to recover from the pain and weakness. :(  Before this though I used to walk and/or cycle 100+ miles a week and not feel anything the next day so the change has been hard to accept.

Like you, though, I am able to ride an EUC much further distances. So far the most I have done is 25 miles in a day, due to the limits of my ACM, but having the Monster will give me a chance to try much further and see how I feel. Admittedly the 25 miles is still quite tiring and painful but hopefully I'll be able to travel further once I get more used to it.  

6 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@Roland That is a minor issue for me. I am a very happy deep sleeper, usually have vivid colorful dreams I can remember. But I'm sure if you ask my wife she'd tell you I make noise.

What is a bigger problem for me is being a night owl...getting only 5 hrs of sleep. Seems like no matter how tired I am, as soon as the sun goes down I wake up. 

So not to get sidetracked to far ... what you could do is using glasses that filter out the blue light spectrum (check the web ... but its yellow tinted basicly) and you might want to mess around with melatonin though using any supplement has its own risks (https://vanwinkles.com/the-dark-side-downsides-side-effects-of-melatonin). ... In general I would try not to be stoic about it ... See if you can figure out a way to find out what the source of that groggyness is ...after all more energy is always welcome right ? ;)

I ride to take the trash out, pick up mail, go to the pool, go to the car...pretty every excuse to ride ....

I've lost one belt size and some....from riding it around...not the weight lost just belt size....could be that I'm already chunky tho...

Pffft... bipedal locomotion is so yesterday...

Since EUCs share a lot of the same paths as bicycles, all my EUC-ing has made me discover lots of bike trails, and I bike a lot more.

But if I'm crossing the street or checking my mail, I EUC over.

6 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

I ride to take the trash out, pick up mail, go to the pool, go to the car...pretty every excuse to ride ....

I've actually had a lot of problems riding while carrying trash bags... tell me your secret.

14 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Walk. Probably But my EUC is to replace my bicycle that I commute to work on. It's too hot in Florida to keep cycling in the summer. I am a little anxious that I'm about to loose about 4 hours of Cardio a week which has been hugely beneficial. I'm not sure if I will have the willpower to make up for it somehow. :mellow:

How about getting a dog?  One of the best and certainly most pleasant things you can do to force yourself to walk.  At least if you're a nice guy, you won't just let the dog have five minutes outside, but will give the both of you at least a half hour of walking every day, if not more.

Plus it's hard to beat either a dog's love or watching them being joyful outside to lift your mood.  I enthusiastically recommend dogs for both health and attitude adjustment.

I live in the city and don't have a car. I use EUC as a last mile solution from home to train station and to work. Most of my family and friends don't have EUC so I still do a lot of walking when hanging out with them. 

13 hours ago, TremF said:

my spine issues do mean that the more walking I do the more and longer I am in pain afterwards. It can take up to a week for me to recover from the pain and weakness. :(  Before this though I used to walk and/or cycle 100+ miles a week and not feel anything the next day so the change has been hard to accept.

I feel for you TremF! All that sounds very familiar, down to the spinal issues. Just 5 years ago I used to bicycle a lot and even run 6km jogs every other day. I'm currently going through the mentioned several day recovering process, as I pushed myself too far with a friend I used to bicycle a lot as kids. Being finally able to finally do it again (with an EUC) was so heart warming it made me cry.

What has been a key to accepting all the losses is to look at everything I still CAN do and all the good things I have in my life. It's up to me to choose my attitude each day. I have the loveliest EUC I can ride for 40km at a time! I live in a place with a lot of wonderful dirt trails and hundreds of km's of seashore routes, I love my girlfriend and my new home, and I've got so much lovely stuff I can still do in my workshop and sewing rooms. Etc.

I wish all the best for you!

On 7/29/2017 at 3:45 AM, mrelwood said:

I feel for you TremF! All that sounds very familiar, down to the spinal issues. Just 5 years ago I used to bicycle a lot and even run 6km jogs every other day. I'm currently going through the mentioned several day recovering process, as I pushed myself too far with a friend I used to bicycle a lot as kids. Being finally able to finally do it again (with an EUC) was so heart warming it made me cry.

What has been a key to accepting all the losses is to look at everything I still CAN do and all the good things I have in my life. It's up to me to choose my attitude each day. I have the loveliest EUC I can ride for 40km at a time! I live in a place with a lot of wonderful dirt trails and hundreds of km's of seashore routes, I love my girlfriend and my new home, and I've got so much lovely stuff I can still do in my workshop and sewing rooms. Etc.

I wish all the best for you!

Good attitude, mrelwood. If we don't adopt it now, it will be hard to live well without adopting it later, when age and debility come calling more aggressively.  If we define ourselves by only what we've lost or never had, we are selling ourselves and our happiness and usefulness to others short.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:57 AM, LanghamP said:

Funny you should ask that.

I removed the trolley handle on my Inmotion V5F+ because I was using the wheel to walk around. That is, when not riding it I was using it to help me walk around especially up hills. Now I lug it around and am better for it.

I've become noticeably weaker since the beginning of this year, so about a month ago I set aside an hour per day to work out by jogging 3-5 miles per day, and lifting weights.

Don't fool yourself in thinking wheels are exercise. The opposite is true; like an astronaut you have to set aside time to work out your muscles.

I disagree with that blanket statement. After a 3 hour ride on mountain trails my legs feel like I got a workout. I'm in a near constant squat fighting the conditions of dirt trails.

Perhaps if you're riding around straight legged on smooth streets you aren't getting a lot of exercise. But join me in some California riding and I'll give you a workout :D

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

After a 3 hour ride on mountain trails my legs feel like I got a workout. I'm in a near constant squat fighting the conditions of dirt trails.

Image result for idea iconWhat if you strapped on some wrist weights, just a pound or two?  That would workout the upper body also.  I only ride about 30 minutes a day, but you gave me the idea to get some of those strap on sandbag weights for the arms.  Thanks!

farthest ive walked is probably one block since ive had mine.. thank god, i hate walking!

Archived