I just got my Msuper V3s+ today! Surprised by the look!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks @KingSong69. Your picture actually is very helpful. I wasn't sure if I would have to cut into the inner shell to be effective. Looks like I don't have to.

:cheers:

with this cutout i have done, it still is not perfect....but it gets a lot better :-) before i was afraid to bend the valve to destruction!

no, the inner shell i would not touch, also, as this might get probs with water resistance 

I rode 20km today and got the wobbles.  Not sure if it is because I over inflated the wheel trying to compensate for the leak when removing the valve extension.  Or it could be that my legs are tired from yesterday.  Not sure.  But I'm also not liking the wide stance and the cushion feeling I'm not connected to the wheel.  Strange feeling.  So far I'm preferring the KS18S over the MSuper.  I really wanted to love the Msuper.  Have yet to receive the seat accessory.  

11 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I rode 20km today and got the wobbles.  Not sure if it is because I over inflated the wheel trying to compensate for the leak when removing the valve extension.  Or it could be that my legs are tired from yesterday.  Not sure.  But I'm also not liking the wide stance and the cushion feeling I'm not connected to the wheel.  Strange feeling.  So far I'm preferring the KS18S over the MSuper.  I really wanted to love the Msuper.  Have yet to receive the seat accessory.  

I didn't like the wide cushions either, as they force your feet off the footpads. I don't know how but I eventually adjusted (maybe a dislocated hip?).

The valve access is pure cruelty. I don't want to buy an air compressor just for access.

13 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I think like most every wheel, the body will adjust and eventually you will feel comfortable on the MSuper. Give it time :)

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think like most every wheel, the body will adjust and eventually you will feel comfortable on the MSuper. Give it time :)

Plus one from me...

just a question of time you have done on the v3. Later on you will feel quite good!

11 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Just seems like there is a longer adjustment period to the MSuper than the KS18S.  

The MSuper is a pig but I mean that in a good way. It is slow to react, soft and stable, really it is a big friendly wheel.

The speed makes it frightening but you never have to go fast on it. Oh, and MSupers randomly self-destruct. That makes it a bit more frightening. Fortunately action cans are so cheap we can record those Kodak moments. I'm looking at you Marty.

Wait a second. You also have a KS18?

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Just seems like there is a longer adjustment period to the MSuper than the KS18S.  

Have you noticed that the MSuper leans left between your legs?  Even when I'm sitting on it, I feel like it's tilted left. I'll have to carry a level as I ride next time. 

1 hour ago, Demian B said:

Have you noticed that the MSuper leans left between your legs?  Even when I'm sitting on it, I feel like it's tilted left. I'll have to carry a level as I ride next time. 

Your body must be asymmetrical :D 

44 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Your body must be asymmetrical :D 

You might have something there. I also sometimes find my right foot more forward on the pedal than my left. Very frequently, I find I lead with my right shoulder and arm. Something that's very helpful while seated and going over transitions at speed: extend your favored arm forward and your weak arm back. I think it works the same for skateboarding and ?. 

5 hours ago, Demian B said:

no i haven't noticed this.  it is pretty straight as far as i can tell.  just think the wheels are over inflated causing my wobbles.  also could have been my tired legs, did some swimming laps earlier and felt my legs were tired.  I just came back from a ride on the KS18S, feels much better than the MSuper.  Also like the seating position a lot.  Got lots of comments today riding through the center of town.  Kids going nuts over it.

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

no i haven't noticed this.  it is pretty straight as far as i can tell.  just think the wheels are over inflated causing my wobbles.  also could have been my tired legs, did some swimming laps earlier and felt my legs were tired.  I just came back from a ride on the KS18S, feels much better than the MSuper.  Also like the seating position a lot.  Got lots of comments today riding through the center of town.  Kids going nuts over it.

Kid reactions are the best. A good compilation video of kids with jaws dropped and minds blown could easily be made.  I love the look that says, I didn't know that was possible!

• 1 month later...

A little update since I've had the wheel for over a month.  I wanted to like the wheel, but every time I get on the wheel, I walk away hating it.  The wideness is what I hate.  I've not gotten used to it.  I like my King Song 16 and 18S much more than this.  I'm now thinking of getting rid of it.  The thickness and the way it pushes your legs out is not comfortable or natural.  It is also very top heavy.  Anyone want a barely used Msuper V3s+ 1300mah?  It is a little scratch when I tried to lay it down and it violently kicked up and tried to take off my leg.  LOL...

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

A little update since I've had the wheel for over a month.  I wanted to like the wheel, but every time I get on the wheel, I walk away hating it.  The wideness is what I hate.  I've not gotten used to it.  I like my King Song 16 and 18S much more than this.  I'm now thinking of getting rid of it.  The thickness and the way it pushes your legs out is not comfortable or natural.  It is also very top heavy.  Anyone want a barely used Msuper V3s+ 1300mah?  It is a little scratch when I tried to lay it down and it violently kicked up and tried to take off my leg.  LOL...

It sounds like you're in a very similar situation as I was when I first <accidentally> received an MSuper 3s. Unless you actively loath the wheel (or you're planning to buy another wheel), may I suggest instead you make a strong effort to make it work? 

Even though I rarely ride my MSuper, there are excellent reasons why it is so beloved by so many people. It is a big, fast, and difficult wheel to ride well but once you get it there's no more amazing wheel. Or so far I've ridden, and maybe the new Gotways are even more magnificent and presumably more reliable. 

In my experience it took many hours and many miles of riding a wheel I actively loathed, but then the time between loathing and appreciating the wheel was probably only twenty minutes, where I could finally enjoy the wheel. 

However, anything I say can be ignored if you don't have an air pump that fits into your MSuper. 

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

It sounds like you're in a very similar situation as I was when I first <accidentally> received an MSuper 3s. Unless you actively loath the wheel (or you're planning to buy another wheel), may I suggest instead you make a strong effort to make it work? 

Even though I rarely ride my MSuper, there are excellent reasons why it is so beloved by so many people. It is a big, fast, and difficult wheel to ride well but once you get it there's no more amazing wheel. Or so far I've ridden, and maybe the new Gotways are even more magnificent and presumably more reliable. 

In my experience it took many hours and many miles of riding a wheel I actively loathed, but then the time between loathing and appreciating the wheel was probably only twenty minutes, where I could finally enjoy the wheel. 

However, anything I say can be ignored if you don't have an air pump that fits into your MSuper. 

Agree.  It takes time to get fully comfortable, but once you do you can fling it about like the most nimble of wheels.  Love it at all speeds.  My other wheel is a Inmotion v8 and the msuper is my preferred wheel.  (I started on a v3)

Get used to the msuper, it is like learning to do acro in a twin engined corporate transport deadstick.  It becomes great fun.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Yeah, you had one of the biggest about-faces that I've seen. I remember when you got the MSuper and hated it. Now look at you :D

9 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Lol, that's because he hasn't tried the other great wheels.  Until you have tried a great wheel, you only know of the not so good wheel.  Msuper and the 18s is night and day.  

I do have the KS16s. I think the MSuper is better for most of the riding I do. However carrying a wheel up two stories of steps is difficult for me. I'm lazy. 

Aren't the ks18 and the MSuper direct competitors? That'd be almost $4K for nearly same wheel, performance wise. 

12 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I do have the KS16s. I think the MSuper is better for most of the riding I do. However carrying a wheel up two stories of steps is difficult for me. I'm lazy. 

Aren't the ks18 and the MSuper direct competitors? That'd be almost $4K for nearly same wheel, performance wise. 

yes, the KS18S and Msuper is direct competitors, but it seems like the KS18S has a leg up at least in my opinion.  I like the way it rides and how it isn't as wide as the Msuper making it easier for me to ride and control.  I can also push it harder and am more confident on it since I can use my knees to grip it making it more of an extension of my body.  I also enjoy the seat quite a bit now that I've learned how to ride it sitting down and am able to push it to its limits.  

It would seem like the people who have both King Song and Gotway prefer the King Song.  Just an observation.  

I took my MSuper 3s out for the first time in over a month, for an hour in a mix of urban and park riding. It's pretty friggin' impressive wheel, much more so than I remember.

One big problem is setting the air pressure on the MSuper but I've semi-solved that by using a pump that doesn't lose air while unscrewing, and checks the tire pressure while pumping. This is invaluable for getting consistent and correct handling from the MSuper. For me, that tire pressure is 40-42 psi.

Set at that pressure, the MSuper is as agile and responsive as my KS16S, with considerably more power. Interestingly, while I occasionally scrape the footpads on my KS16S on higher speed turns (never yet on low speed turns), I've never done so with the MSuper.

The wide pads I think are an advantage as I clamp them and essentially feel locked in place. The higher speeds of the MSuper don't encourage letting the wheel float between your legs; I think that's a very bad idea as you probably wouldn't recover easily from bumps.

A video reviewer suggested not buying this wheel for at least a year into riding EUCs due to the advanced skills required, and I'd agree with that assessment. It's a wheel you cannot just grow into; you have to learn your skills elsewhere then transfer those skills into riding this wheel.

When I first rode this wheel I could ride it fast but with little control. I still feel this wheel is well beyond my skill but I catch glimpses of its potential. It really is a fantastic wheel with the caveat that you have to be pretty skilled and even somewhat mad to ride it.

Whereas my KS14c and my KS16S are just happy to be ridden, with little skill required, the MSuper requires a long long time before I got even a bit comfortable, and still requires great concentration. It's a serious wheel, not very good for riding around getting groceries or strolling through campus.

44 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I took my MSuper 3s out for the first time in over a month, for an hour in a mix of urban and park riding. It's pretty friggin' impressive wheel, much more so than I remember.

One big problem is setting the air pressure on the MSuper but I've semi-solved that by using a pump that doesn't lose air while unscrewing, and checks the tire pressure while pumping. This is invaluable for getting consistent and correct handling from the MSuper. For me, that tire pressure is 40-42 psi.

Set at that pressure, the MSuper is as agile and responsive as my KS16S, with considerably more power. Interestingly, while I occasionally scrape the footpads on my KS16S on higher speed turns (never yet on low speed turns), I've never done so with the MSuper.

The wide pads I think are an advantage as I clamp them and essentially feel locked in place. The higher speeds of the MSuper don't encourage letting the wheel float between your legs; I think that's a very bad idea as you probably wouldn't recover easily from bumps.

A video reviewer suggested not buying this wheel for at least a year into riding EUCs due to the advanced skills required, and I'd agree with that assessment. It's a wheel you cannot just grow into; you have to learn your skills elsewhere then transfer those skills into riding this wheel.

When I first rode this wheel I could ride it fast but with little control. I still feel this wheel is well beyond my skill but I catch glimpses of its potential. It really is a fantastic wheel with the caveat that you have to be pretty skilled and even somewhat mad to ride it.

Whereas my KS14c and my KS16S are just happy to be ridden, with little skill required, the MSuper requires a long long time before I got even a bit comfortable, and still requires great concentration. It's a serious wheel, not very good for riding around getting groceries or strolling through campus.

You should try the KS18S. It is a much better wheel and no need to spend a year to get comfortable.  It took me less than a week to learn to sit and rid at high speeds. You cannot compare the KS16S to the Msuper.  

Archived