"How To Ride An Electric Unicycle" book

Ombre

After reading many threads and posts here about "how do you ride this thing?" I decided to write a guide for beginners.

You can find it here on Amazon (Kindle book only).

It's a short guide, just 37 pages with illustrations, so I priced it as cheaply as Amazon would let me:  $2.99.  But from July 27, 2017 through July 31, 2017 the book will be FREE so that anyone on this forum can review it.

If you don't have a Kindle device there's a free app for smartphones and tablets, so everyone should have access.

My goal is simply to help get more people into riding. It seems crazy that many manufacturers sell electric unicycles but don't provide good information about how to ride them.

I don't intend to make a profit on this book. The proceeds from sales will reimburse me for the out of pocket costs associated with publishing (mostly the cost of a graphic designer who worked on the photos and layout).  All subsequent revenue will be donated to charity, or I'll just make the PDF freely available.

Your suggestions will help with a possible 2nd edition.  Since most people on this forum are experienced riders, your thoughtful comments will be really helpful. Keep in mind the goal of the book is not to be a comprehensive guide to everything about electric unicycles. It should stay concise so that beginners will read it and not be intimidated.

Please download a free copy in the next few days, and post your reviews here or on Amazon.  Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Ombre said:

After reading many threads and posts here about "how do you ride this thing?" I decided to write a guide for beginners.

You can find it here on Amazon (Kindle book only).

It's a short guide, just 37 pages with illustrations, so I priced it as cheaply as Amazon would let me:  $2.99.  But from July 27, 2017 through July 31, 2017 the book will be FREE so that anyone on this forum can review it.

I just read the preview and it looks good!  I'll download a copy tomorrow and try to provide some feedback.  Nice idea :)

3 hours ago, Ombre said:

Your suggestions will help with a possible 2nd edition.

Great Idea! Congratulations! Awesome job! Publications take a lot of work!

I went to Amazon for a peek. Being Inmotion V8 and V5F do allow you to pick up their wheels by the handle with the motor disengagement switch activated you might consider that change in a future 2nd edition.

@Rehab1 -- I think you missed a couple of words in that sentence.  I wrote "... or (if equipped) use the cut-off button in the handle."  Maybe it should be more clear?  I was thinking of my own Inmotion V5F and Airwheel X3 when I wrote it.

(As an aside, I think every modern wheel should have a cut-off button in the handle!)

I just noticed that book when pursuing Amazon yesterday and was wondering if it was the work of a Forum Member.  I will download tomorrow.

Thank you for making it free for a couple days and giving us the heads up!

9 minutes ago, Ombre said:

I think every modern wheel should have a cut-off button in the handle

Something tells me this will somehow be copywritten by Inmotion/Solowheel now and we won't see it on other wheels :furious: but I agree 100%.  Started on the Inmotion wheels and it's the most incredibly useful thing to have and infuriating each time i have to turn my wheel off just to lift it up a set of stairs, over a large curb, etc.  Once you get used to the button handle it seems ridiculous that other manufacturers don't have it on their wheels...

Thank you for the heads up ... Will take a look tomorrow ;)

@Maximus
You may be right with getting used to it. But on the other hand, the next step will be a Wheel that can "Feel" that it does not has contact with the ground anymore. The interesting question is: could you possibly do this feature just with the existing sensors and a clever application of If-then algorithms or will you need a new senor suit to make certain that the user is not just asking for a huge amount of wheel revolutions without any big resistance (higher current) at all ...

If you think about it ... This really is a special case that does lend itself to stopping/slowing the wheel when a certain set of conditions is met... 

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

or will you need a new senor suit to make certain that the user is not just asking for a huge amount of wheel revolutions without any big resistance (higher current) at all ...

We should probably keep the comments in this thread largely related to feedback for @Ombre and his publication, but if you start a new thread on this topic (ex. "handle cutoff switch vs. automated sensor cutoff") let me know.  It might be interesting to see what people's thoughts are on the type of innovation you are eluding to.

6 hours ago, Ombre said:

@Rehab1 -- I think you missed a couple of words in that sentence.  I wrote "... or (if equipped) use the cut-off button in the handle."  Maybe it should be more clear?  I was thinking of my own Inmotion V5F and Airwheel X3 when I wrote it.

(As an aside, I think every modern wheel should have a cut-off button in the handle!)

Oops! I stand corrected!  :) Please keep us updated on the success of your book sales! 

I just logged on this forum for the first time. Got an Airwheel (used, cheap, really scuffed up) a couple of days ago, and am trying to learn right now, so my timing was really good...

Anyway, just finished reading the first chapter. I see no point in reading further until I actually try it in practice, so I'll just say it was well explained, well illustrated, and very logically written so far. A very handy addition to youtube videos.

@Ombre, The book is excellent I've given it a 5 ⭐️ rating in Amazon.co.uk.

Just one small mistake (but the sentence just doesn't need to be there) Under "Battery Safety" you say: " Your wheel doesn't really have "a battery" - it has a pack of many small Lithium-ion batteries all strung together". This is actually wrong: a "battery" by definition is a collection of cells (think "gun battery" for example - a group of guns.) a single voltaic unit is correctly called "a cell". To use "battery" to describe a single cell is a misuse of the term that has got into common language. Using "Battery" to describe a group of cells strung together is the completely correct use of the term.

"Your wheel is powered by one or more batteries, packs of many small Lithium-Ion cells all strung together."

Heyho,

i have been flying over the book a bit! Well done!

You give advise to visit the forums...actaully the france forum you linked is the very old version and as far as i know not updated anymore...

The actual adress of the french community is:

http://espritroue.fr/

On 7/27/2017 at 6:05 AM, Keith said:

@Ombre

"Your wheel is powered by one or more batteries, packs of many small Lithium-Ion cells all strung together."

Thanks. It's a small technical point but I agree it's important to be as accurate as possible.  This change will go into the text in the next upload.

On 7/27/2017 at 6:47 AM, KingSong69 said:

The actual adress of the french community is:

http://espritroue.fr/

Thanks to you as well!  I will fix that ASAP.

I really appreciate the constructive advice so far.  Everyone who contributes a suggestion that I use in the next edition will be acknowledged in the credits (by their username).  I'd like this to be a collaboration for Forum member, so we can all point to this book and say, "I recommend you read this" with total confidence.

When "hopping", am I meant to balance so that the wheel is still arced towards the center of my body, or am I also supposed to try to get the wheel upright? Cause, the second one is literally impossible...

I realized quite quickly that you obviously must have meant the first one, but I wouldn't mind if it had been specified...

Just a reminder, today is the last chance to get a free review copy of this book.  I hope all members of this forum will take a moment to download it (see link in the first post on this thread) and put their comments here.  Thanks.

Archived