Got my first insult cherry popped today!

After riding for many, many months almost every other day, I've gotten used to all the smiles, compliments, and positive comments.  Maybe I got too used to it. :efef36327c:

Today nearing sunset as I'm riding down a sidewalk away from a main street some yahoo in an SUV driving by yells out something derogatory.  I won't repeat what he said :efef585a74:, but I was taken aback a little.  :blink:  

We do have a bit of a redneck, idiot problem here, and I've seen more than a few fine examples of that throughout school and randomly in public.  :rolleyes:  It might be just me, but people who yell random things out of the window at strangers while riding in a car seem a little stupid to me. :eff04a58a6:  They don't know me, and I don't know them. It's very weird why they want to express themselves that way.  Even dogs who stick their heads out of vehicles don't bark randomly.

I just gave them a dab and rolled on my way.  :efee6b18f3:

I grew up in the Western suburbs and here we call them westies. I did go to school with a few people like this, they seem to be missing a few screws, I don't think it was aimed at you just because you are riding a EUC. They would have yelled to anyone while they are in one of those moods.

Maybe I shouldn't have painted my wheel pink as @Rehab1 suggested!  :furious: 

It just brought me back to the good old schoolhood days where people would try to insult each other by slinging words.  :rolleyes:  After a while you realize how stupid they are, but they sadly never seem to come to that realization.

A while back I had to deal with a tresspasser, and while I was on the phone with the police the tresspasser was calling me out for ratting on them.  Um you're tresspassing, what do you expect is going to happen?  After a few "pleasantries" hurled my way they left.  The funny thing is I wasn't bothered one bit with the verbal tirade.  I was busy preparing to get physical and defend myself thinking about how I could use my phone as a weapon if need be.  I bet the police must experience the same thing quite often as they have pretty calm demeaners in similar situations.

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Today nearing sunset as I'm riding down a sidewalk away from a main street some yahoo in an SUV driving by yells out something derogatory.  I won't repeat what he said :efef585a74:, but I was taken aback a little.  :blink:  

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Given the sad encounters you are having with fellow Canadians forget about painting your NB1 pink and shoot for a theme like this. Guaranteed to turn some heads while possibly making others think twice before yelling at you!tx8D0rb.jpg

It is unfortunate, but true that there are lots of intolerance in the world.  The best reaction is what you did.  But it is also what we do with it inside.  We can choose to suffer, running the scenario in our head over and over again, or just let it go and accept those people for who they are.  Next level stuff would be not to label them and try to understand that they didn't get much of an education and can't help being stupid!  Or to think that they act that way out of jealousy or insecurities in themselves.  LOL

Easy to say, difficult to practice.  Enlightening talk over...

That doesn't bother me because I don't feel like I'm in physical danger (unless they're making a right turn on red). What does greatly concern me is when a pack of youths ask to see your wheel, try to intercept you, and scream insults at you as you dodge them. That is actual physical danger,  and the neighborhood that I ride my wheel through to get to work has suffered so many armed robberies they've called the FBI. 100% of the suspects are, "black males, late teen, early twenties" so much so it's a cliche.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/fbi-backs-up-st-louis-police-efforts-to-solve-avert/article_890dfe37-b239-5c29-8fa1-3982af757fe8.amp.html

While I've become awfully racist during the past five years of living here, I'm also somewhat of a social liberal and I think the system is unduly harsh towards poor people. We used to, but no longer, forgive "youthful indiscretions". We now do background checks and if there's even the whiff of accusation (never mind if they were ever charged or found guilty) then we do not hire them, and then we wonder why poor people strong-arm us? Like duh? You do your time, and those records should be sealed in order for you to actually get a job (crime isn't a job, it's a career!).

I don't think there's intolerance in the world so much as...opportunistic predation.

I also find most people to be fairly contemptous of hillbillies, white trash, whatever you want to call them. Occasionally we'll have a sympathetic article of Appalachian coal miners, but pretty much what we wouldn't ever say about blacks we're allowed to say, in public, about white trash. I dare you to take what you say about white trash, substitute "black" for it, and see how that flies at your next <liberal> cocktail party.

That's why I love that line from "Full Metal Jacket".

"I don't care if you're <insert racial epitaph>, to me you're all equally worthless!"

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It just brought me back to the good old schoolhood days where people would try to insult each other by slinging words.  :rolleyes:  After a while you realize how stupid they are, but they sadly never seem to come to that realization.

A while back I had to deal with a tresspasser, and while I was on the phone with the police the tresspasser was calling me out for ratting on them.  Um you're tresspassing, what do you expect is going to happen?  After a few "pleasantries" hurled my way they left.  The funny thing is I wasn't bothered one bit with the verbal tirade.  I was busy preparing to get physical and defend myself thinking about how I could use my phone as a weapon if need be.  I bet the police must experience the same thing quite often as they have pretty calm demeaners in similar situations.

Your wheel sounds cool!

17 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I dare you to take what you say about white trash, substitute "black" for it, and see how that flies at your next <liberal> cocktail party.

That's because the "white trash" did it and is doing it to themselves and to black people on their own volition, while the black people are doing neither. One is the problem, the other one is not.

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

It is unfortunate, but true that there are lots of intolerance in the world.  The best reaction is what you did.  But it is also what we do with it inside.  We can choose to suffer, running the scenario in our head over and over again, or just let it go and accept those people for who they are.  Next level stuff would be not to label them and try to understand that they didn't get much of an education and can't help being stupid!  Or to think that they act that way out of jealousy or insecurities in themselves.  LOL

Easy to say, difficult to practice.  Enlightening talk over...

So true!

This happens to me almost every time I go out riding around. Some car with usually teenagers in it will call me a fag, and also say they hope I fall. This has led to slight apprehension when heading out the door. It didn't bother me at all at first, but it just wears on you. I'm not going to quit riding or anything, but that shit gets hurtful after awhile. 

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's because the "white trash" did it and is doing it to themselves and to black people on their own volition, while the black people are doing neither. One is the problem, the other one is not.

I do admit I also experience a thrill in the massive drop of life expectancy of white trash. The idea that a child should suffer for the sins of their parents is sorta appealing; it's got that "collective responsibility" thing going.

I love it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/01/white-working-class-poverty/424341/

I don't want to derail this thread with too much offtopic, so I'm just going to say all discussion about "sins of the parents" has been thoroughly disproven by the counterexample known as "Trump":) You decide to be selfish and ruthless no matter what, you should not expect to be treated differently yourself.

And nobody ever cared about "sins of someone else's parents" when it was other people who were affected. I can't stand the whining now (all these "poor Appalachian miner" articles you mentioned)...

Thanks!  :w00t2:  I think it looks pretty sharp.  :wub:  Speedwise and range meh it's not so good, but in the looks department it's all 10's baby!!!  er ...woman!!!  :dribble:

Yeah I've seen too many misguided people that it becomes old hat after a while.  Sadly, stupidity is a non-curable affliction for some people.  You get used to it.  What do they say "I'm rubber and you're glue, your words bounce off me and sticks on you."   :efee6b18f3:

@LanghamP - Geez man, it sounds like maybe a move to a different part of the country might be something to seriously consider.  :blink:  Move up to Canada even.  We got pedestrian overpasses up here.  The hillbillies (I got gloves to handle them) up here aren't usually that bad.  They just kinda spout off random stupid comments. :rolleyes:

As a pedestrian, and as a hover board rider, I have had various insults and even physical objects hurled at me by car riding passers by.  There is, unfortunately, nop cure for stupid.  I'm not going to be surprised  when it happens on my wheel... but at least it's not very common where I am.

That's one sweet Ninebot!  :efeeec645d:  Mine looks like it got thrown under the bus that got thrown under the bus.  It still works fine, but I will confess to having a case of tilted kilt where your burnin love machine is concerned.  

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I need to add some stickers to it to confuse people more.  :whistling:

826414_moonwheel.jpg

A Bimmer! Oh no! :facepalm: Now people will be throwing their Rolex watches at you! I still like the futuristic skull. It brings out the flame colors.JAqoEA4.jpg

On 7/20/2017 at 1:09 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sometimes.  I've seen some pretty amped up cops who seemed deranged to me.

I think I might be able to guess the word used, as it was so standard when I was growing up, is very schoolboy stuff, and people frequently yelled it out of cars to spook people or just out of basic monkey-level idiocy.

And LOL at those guys who want to violate you then act like you're on the same side and need to stick together when it comes to their getting called on it.  

23 hours ago, kasenutty said:

This happens to me almost every time I go out riding around. Some car with usually teenagers in it will call me a fag, and also say they hope I fall. This has led to slight apprehension when heading out the door. It didn't bother me at all at first, but it just wears on you. I'm not going to quit riding or anything, but that shit gets hurtful after awhile. 

It can help a lot not to think too much about how much the world sucks, I find.  Otherwise it does indeed become hard to get out the door.  Easier said than done.

I found my attitude toward the general state of the universe got better when I was doing charity work, driving for free once a week for half a day taking meals to the elderly and the house-bound for our city's version of "Meals on Wheels."  Not only did I meet lots of nice and deserving and grateful people every day, but also many of the volunteers who devoted their time to the service could only be there because there was at least some part of them that was demonstrably good and caring.  

It's much harder to find environments that remind you that people can be good than environments that remind you how bad they can be or how often and how casually they can be bad.  They're worth seeking out, though.  They can at least temporarily reset the cynicism meter and give one a better outlook.  I think everybody should do that sort of thing once in a while, to create a little more good in the world and to remind oneself that good can be created and that it matters.

23 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I do admit I also experience a thrill in the massive drop of life expectancy of white trash. The idea that a child should suffer for the sins of their parents is sorta appealing; it's got that "collective responsibility" thing going.

I love it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/01/white-working-class-poverty/424341/

How extremely effed up and immoral that is is why they have a rule against that in the Geneva Convention.

Archived