First ride

Catlord17

12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I don't know if it would help, but if you have a skateboard, you can try to launch with one foot on the side in the middle and then step your other foot up right next to it and glide forwards.

That sounds really dangerous... are we trying to help @Catlord17 or get him hurt?

12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You could try taking a plank and doing that very thing - place it over a couple of cans of soup taped together (and secured to the middle of the plank) and try balancing on it.  When you get that down, do it while leaning forwards slightly at your ankles while keeping your body straight.

Oh man, I'm confused, I think we need a demo @Hunka Hunka Burning Love :P

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Omigosh baby steps baby steps!  Here's a video, but with the cans secured to the bottom of the plank with duct tape it should be a lot easier:

Interesting.  Guy learns by falling off a couple of times.  Girl learns by watching guy hurt himself.  :blink: 

Wiped out right now, I'm coming down with some sort of chest infection I think, but yesterday I found a fence and started wandering along holding it and it was helping.  Then I made the mistake of trying to have it on when I entered the house, and coming up the 3 inch lip I lost control of it, had it skid out all over my kitchen floors, fly outside and bend the handle.  That upset me considerably.  I left it alone for the rest of the day.

Today some friends and I went out to Okeechobee and I was practicing in the grass.  Had a guy in his 60's or 70s taking pictures of us and talking a lot.  My friends are a couple, and the guy, Cameron, started off deriding me for my "bad decision" to spend this kind of money on an electric unicycle, but ended up spending more time on it than I did and having so much fun that he wanted to change our plans so he could use it more.

I appreciate the explanations, guys.  I don't think I really understood how slowly this process must go.  So I have reset my expectations, and I will go with spending a little time as many times a day as possible, and just be persistent until I get it.

I managed to make some progress today, and I'm learning to stay on the EUC as it falls side to side between my legs, even in grass, uneven ground and on inclines.  I also managed to repeat my ~30 foot ride from yesterday, but between Cameron trying to learn it and random strangers stopping to talk, I did not get but about 1/3rd the practice I wanted to.  Frustrating.  Next time I'll have to find a place with a lot less people.

One guy passing by said, "Don't worry, we won't laugh."  To which I replied, "Don't worry - we will!"  Can't take it too seriously.

Interestingly, I thought I posted this hours ago, but it is still in the editor and not on the thread.  Well, here goes again...

7 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

My friends are a couple, and the guy, Cameron, started off deriding me for my "bad decision" to spend this kind of money on an electric unicycle, but ended up spending more time on it than I did and having so much fun that he wanted to change our plans so he could use it more.

Glad the guy finally came around on the idea. Nothing worse than when someone decides to tell you how to spend your own money. My personal opinion is that no one can truly relate to the excitement and enthusiasm that an EUC rider has when they take the leap of faith and make this purchase. You are a pioneer of sorts as most of us made roughly a $1000 decision based solely on faith that we would be able to ride it and have fun. The next generation of riders will likely have had some exposure to it having tried one out or have someone they know who already does it and can help. All of us first generation riders are more than likely the first one in our town, city or even state! Glad to hear things are progressing with your riding. Hope that chest infection doesn't slowdown progress too much :barf:

7 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

Then I made the mistake of trying to have it on when I entered the house, and coming up the 3 inch lip I lost control of it, had it skid out all over my kitchen floors, fly outside and bend the handle.

That is the very reason a strap tied around the handle is recommended whilst you are learning, not held tightly like a rein but loosely so it doesn't upset your balance. If you lose control of the wheel just lift it off the ground with the strap and it cannot go anywhere. A guy in the UK fell off a wheel and damaged a car, in the ensuing argument the police were called and prosecuted him for driving without insurance and destroyed his wheel. IMHO, had he been using a strap the incident was unlikely to happen with the resulting awful precedent it has set in the U.K. (it is not possible to get insurance for EUC's)

The other advice I would give is use an upright of some form - wall, lamppost, etc.  to mount so you can get your feet completely comfortably placed on the peddles - not forgetting your feet should overhang the front more than the back so your legs, not your feet are centred on the wheel. Then move off. If you try to mount free standing when you don't really know how to ride you cannot control where your feet end up and it is difficult to change position once you are moving. Once you can control the wheel OK then you know where your feet should be and you will also gain the ability to reposition your feet whilst moving, then is the time to learn to mount the wheel without any support.

It sounds like you are making progress. If I were you odd not invite anyone with you while learning unless they are just there to help spot you and can leave the opinions at home. You just need support and encouragement right now, not conversation and chastisement. My wife came out with me on the first night while I got a feel for the wheel but I've learnt more when I've been on my own and not worrying about someone standing around waiting on me.

Don't underestimate how far you have come. To ride 30ft in this dense and deep FL grass is quite the feat. 

I also recommend a short tether to keep the wheel in check. Just only use it when you step off.

10 hours ago, Maximus said:

Glad the guy finally came around on the idea. Nothing worse than when someone decides to tell you how to spend your own money. My personal opinion is that no one can truly relate to the excitement and enthusiasm that an EUC rider has when they take the leap of faith and make this purchase. You are a pioneer of sorts as most of us made roughly a $1000 decision based solely on faith that we would be able to ride it and have fun. The next generation of riders will likely have had some exposure to it having tried one out or have someone they know who already does it and can help. All of us first generation riders are more than likely the first one in our town, city or even state! Glad to hear things are progressing with your riding. Hope that chest infection doesn't slowdown progress too much :barf:

I'm not worried what other people think.  He was obviously looking at it from a point of view of what would be right for his situation, right now, and not mine.  People do that sometimes.  But I know that when I'm gliding around having an awesome time, he'll be the one who's getting laughed at, not me. :)

At this point, I am of the opinion that the vast majority of Americans, at least, will be too lazy to learn how to do this.

10 hours ago, Keith said:

That is the very reason a strap tied around the handle is recommended whilst you are learning, not held tightly like a rein but loosely so it doesn't upset your balance. If you lose control of the wheel just lift it off the ground with the strap and it cannot go anywhere. A guy in the UK fell off a wheel and damaged a car, in the ensuing argument the police were called and prosecuted him for driving without insurance and destroyed his wheel. IMHO, had he been using a strap the incident was unlikely to happen with the resulting awful precedent it has set in the U.K. (it is not possible to get insurance for EUC's)

The other advice I would give is use an upright of some form - wall, lamppost, etc.  to mount so you can get your feet completely comfortably placed on the peddles - not forgetting your feet should overhang the front more than the back so your legs, not your feet are centred on the wheel. Then move off. If you try to mount free standing when you don't really know how to ride you cannot control where your feet end up and it is difficult to change position once you are moving. Once you can control the wheel OK then you know where your feet should be and you will also gain the ability to reposition your feet whilst moving, then is the time to learn to mount the wheel without any support.

Well, I am definitely learning, but not what I had been wanting to learn.  Instead, I am learning to listen to you guys instead of rush off into action out of excitement.

Today I was planning to try the foot placement I read about in the how to thread, where you have your center of gravity in line with the axle.  I also wanted to try on the road for once.  So I geared up and managed a 2 for 2, riding more than 30 feet both times.  Both times I also managed to slow the machine down.  The first time I had to ditch, I managed to do that in the grass.  The second time, in the road.

The machine cartwheeled down the road, alternately scratching the hell out of itself and then propelling itself to repeat the self destruction.  It went down the road like that for as far as I rode it, and now it looks pretty bad.  Definitely time for a strap.  This of course being half the reason for learning in the grass...

So, feeling a little dumb for having forgotten that in my excitement, or perhaps having ignored it in my excitement more than anything else... I came inside and fashioned a strap from a rope.

But now I am relatively convinced that the issue is... the MSuper V3s+ is perhaps TOO HEAVY for this sort of treatment?  Haven't tried it yet, but... 50 pounds with momentum is not going to be a pretty thing when it's that much power.  I need to go buy more padding.

I definitely do not see these things going mainstream unless people learn on smaller, lighter ones first.  In my infinite intelligence, I spent almost $2k on one only to scratch the hell out of it and then decide maybe I should buy a cheap generic to learn on.  

9 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

It sounds like you are making progress. If I were you odd not invite anyone with you while learning unless they are just there to help spot you and can leave the opinions at home. You just need support and encouragement right now, not conversation and chastisement. My wife came out with me on the first night while I got a feel for the wheel but I've learnt more when I've been on my own and not worrying about someone standing around waiting on me.

Don't underestimate how far you have come. To ride 30ft in this dense and deep FL grass is quite the feat. 

I also recommend a short tether to keep the wheel in check. Just only use it when you step off.

Yeah, I'm gonna be trying to do this either alone or with my girlfriend, who is nothing but supportive and patient.  Unfortunately the only places I know of where I think I can really do this are significant distances from me.

A new case for the Gotway is maybe $80 so crash away now that you've gotten the first couple of crashes done.

I did not learn on the MSuper but I suspect it's a lot easier to learn on it compared to my Inmotion V5 so maybe you choice isn't bad to learn on it.

I had good luck learning by getting on the while while leaning against a wall, on grass, rotating away, and pushing away. The first 1 or 2 times I jumped off, but maybe the 4th time I was wobbling through the grass, and 20th time or so was making shaky turns.

That was the easy part. Free mounting is on a whole different level.

Grass is really good to learn on. Sure you'll fall but nothing gets hurt including you. And grass makes road feel so easy once you transition.

53 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

A new case for the Gotway is maybe $80 so crash away now that you've gotten the first couple of crashes done.

I did not learn on the MSuper but I suspect it's a lot easier to learn on it compared to my Inmotion V5 so maybe you choice isn't bad to learn on it.

I had good luck learning by getting on the while while leaning against a wall, on grass, rotating away, and pushing away. The first 1 or 2 times I jumped off, but maybe the 4th time I was wobbling through the grass, and 20th time or so was making shaky turns.

That was the easy part. Free mounting is on a whole different level.

Grass is really good to learn on. Sure you'll fall but nothing gets hurt including you. And grass makes road feel so easy once you transition.

I'm not one to worry about scratches.

A little clarification for others: The side panels are ~$80. The cases (not including the side panels) are ~$150. And replacing a case represents a nearly complete tear-down - very time consuming.

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm not one to worry about scratches.

A little clarification for others: The side panels are ~$80. The cases (not including the side panels) are ~$150. And replacing a case represents a nearly complete tear-down - very time consuming.

Lol I'm not riding my Gotway anymore after checking prices.

Pedals are $100! $150 for the case and $80 for the side panels and...$60 for the side cushions? That's around $400 to bring back the MSuper?

In comparison to restore my beautiful V5F+ was $150 which included side panels and pedals. Not too shabby. The center thingy is like $60.

3 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

Yeah, I'm gonna be trying to do this either alone or with my girlfriend, who is nothing but supportive and patient.  Unfortunately the only places I know of where I think I can really do this are significant distances from me.

I'm learning in my apartment parking lot. It has islands in the middle that I figure 8 around. Dead ends for U turns. Lots of 90 degree turns. Are there no ungated communities/apartments near you that you could learn on? Really it is the perfect environment except for the odd car. It's still concrete, I know, but now you have the tether applied you will find you get a lot less damage. I've yet to drop my wheel having applied the tether from the start. Learning on FL grass must be the pits. 

I ordered a roll of black padded foam from eWheels when I ordered my wheel but I have not and am not going to use it. PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail to you. Should be with you next day. I think you'll need more than that roll for decent coverage but if it helps a fellow learner you are welcome to it.

As others have said you can replace the casing. Expensive it would seem but can be done. That is probably now a better option for you than buying a $200 eBay beater to learn on and then still having a damaged case on your main wheel. You might as well wrap you current wheel up. Keep learning and when you are really confident, replace the case.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:39 PM, WARPed1701D said:

I'm learning in my apartment parking lot. It has islands in the middle that I figure 8 around. Dead ends for U turns. Lots of 90 degree turns. Are there no ungated communities/apartments near you that you could learn on? Really it is the perfect environment except for the odd car. It's still concrete, I know, but now you have the tether applied you will find you get a lot less damage. I've yet to drop my wheel having applied the tether from the start. Learning on FL grass must be the pits. 

I ordered a roll of black padded foam from eWheels when I ordered my wheel but I have not and am not going to use it. PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail to you. Should be with you next day. I think you'll need more than that roll for decent coverage but if it helps a fellow learner you are welcome to it.

As others have said you can replace the casing. Expensive it would seem but can be done. That is probably now a better option for you than buying a $200 eBay beater to learn on and then still having a damaged case on your main wheel. You might as well wrap you current wheel up. Keep learning and when you are really confident, replace the case.

I appreciate the offer, but I have already had the padding, and had it fall off.  I have also gotten to the point, with the strap, that I don't need it anymore. :)  For the last couple days I have been using a strap I fashioned from rope, and it's required a little getting used to, but now I never have trouble with my wheel case getting scratched anymore.

Furthermore, I found a place where I can practice safely on flat pavement and without kids and onlookers.  It's a parking lot out behind a plaza near my girlfriend's house.  At night, it's quite empty.  For the last two days (er, nights) I have gone there and practiced for about 15 minutes per night.  Not as much as I would like, but circumstances do not currently allow for more than that.

Last night, I managed a record 53 feet without falling off.  Tonight, I made a significant improvement by traveling a couple hundred feet at once, and performing a controlled turn around the parking spaces so that I started off going West and ended up going East.  The fact that I was doing it intentionally and under some control, coupled with the fact that I managed to go a couple hundred feet at once, was a eureka moment.  I haven't had it "click" yet - BUT I THINK IT'S CLOSE!

I felt like it was starting to click as I did this... and that felt awesome!  Day before I was too sick to try to ride.  

I feel awesome with the progress I have made.  Now I just have to find the time to have two or three sessions like that a day... and maybe find a suitable place to do it.  I can't stay out all night doing that, surely the police will come by looking eventually.

Surely I still have a long way to go before I can ride as far and as I want without having to get off, but damn, this was an eye opening and very happiness-inducing practice session.  I tried to mount with my dominant foot starting on the pedal, keeping my ankle over the axle, and stand up as much as possible, not look down, and flow with the machine.  That seems to be the key.  I do keep my knees somewhat bent, which seems to help.  

How have your practice sessions been going?

@Catlord17 Cool! A tip: recalibrate your msuper, to get rid of possible pedal dipping which makes learning to turn much harder. It's a bit complicated, but there's a Youtube video from Speedyfeet that shows the procedure. The key is to have the wheel vertical sideways (not tilted left or right) when calibrating, then the dipping (if you have it, hard to miss, the pedals suddenly tilt forward in curves) goes away.

@WARPed1701D Nice to hear your progress. I think it's time for you to do a real ride (aka plan a route and go for it - and if it's only visiting some shop nearby or whatever). You learn so much more when overcoming the challenges from a real tour vs just training in your lot. Pick something that isn't exactly the middle of the highway (lts of traffic) and go for it, for better or worse.

18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Catlord17 Cool! A tip: recalibrate your msuper, to get rid of possible pedal dipping which makes learning to turn much harder. It's a bit complicated, but there's a Youtube video from Speedyfeet that shows the procedure. The key is to have the wheel vertical sideways (not tilted left or right) when calibrating, then the dipping (if you have it, hard to miss, the pedals suddenly tilt forward in curves) goes away.

Based on yourt description, and how much I turn trying not to fall off, I don't think I have the dipping problem.  Will probably calibrate it regardless in a couple days the way Duff shows on his video, though, supported on two bricks.  Is that the same kind of calibration?

Today's practice I managed to ride from my house to a couple houses down on my own road, which I would estimate is about 210 feet.  So I managed to repeat the success I had last night.

Cameron was with me this time, and watching how much trouble he had just mounting it (his second chance to try to learn it) really drove home just how much I have advanced in comparison.  Last time, we were about equal.

I think I have the basics figured out, and whenever I consciously try to remember them all at once I manage to stay on, but the minute I forget, I have to stop.

So far I am not terrible at stopping, but I can tell I will have to learn how again when I take the strap off.  I have pulled off some pretty darned tight turns in an effort to not fall off at low speeds - I think one turn I did was like 1.5 or 2 foot radius. Really surprised me. Falling with the wheel., into the direction of the wheel, and trusting it to try to balance me is doing wonders.

So tempted to try to force myself to ride it a mile and back, but... still not enough time. Grrrr.

I know the muscle memory and dendritic pathways aren't there yet, but it's coming.  I can feel it.  Shouldn't be long before I am riding the length of my street, which is about a mile.

1 hour ago, Catlord17 said:

Based on yourt description, and how much I turn trying not to fall off, I don't think I have the dipping problem.  Will probably calibrate it regardless in a couple days the way Duff shows on his video, though, supported on two bricks.  Is that the same kind of calibration?

There's only one kind of calibration. But no need to do it if the pedals are the way you want and you have no dipping (you could hardly miss it if you had it, in slow curves it's very noticable).

I think the brick method is a bit imprecise and inflexible, just use a nice big real level (no stupid phone app) for the forwards-backwards tilt,  and use a wall or whatever to make sure the wheel isn't tilted to the sides while you calibrate.

--

A good way for beginners to stop (and not only them, emergency stop too) is simply to bend your knees/squat. Your center of weight moves back then, so you brake automatically.

11 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

Shouldn't be long before I am riding the length of my street, which is about a mile.

You're doing great.  I remember how happy I was when I first pulled off riding the entire distance of my cul de sac loop, which is almost exactly 1 mile.  

Archived