Rehab1

ACM 1600 Data Logger Test

5 posts in this topic

Is this what you expected?

I thought the bullet connector was supposed to be the hot spot, due to the additional resistance. It's also interesting that the bullet connector continues to heat up after you stop - or am I reading it wrong?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

...

As you can see on the graph the blue line (axle wires) is climbing on the gragh more rapidly than the black bullet connector line. When I arrived at my destination around 5:25 pm the blue line begins to decend on the graph.

Seems like you've choosen the right connector and did an excellent job with soldering the wires to it!

Quote

Now I just need some serious hill climbing and faster speeds for more advanced data.

Maybe going up the same hill with different speeds and letting then everything cool back to the "original" temperature before each ride! Would give some interesting numbers. Best combined with some wheellog/9bmetrics data logged for each ride :ph34r:

 

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Is this what you expected?

I thought the bullet connector was supposed to be the hot spot, due to the additional resistance. It's also interesting that the bullet connector continues to heat up after you stop - or am I reading it wrong?

Since the bullet connector was one of the coolest parts in the chamber everything else kept heating it up, while the other parts lost temperature?

could also be, that the bullet connector was as good, that it did not heat up itself but was only heated by the mosfets and other wires - so the ambient temp graph of the morherboard would be interesting too. Could be that it coresponds with the the axle temp measurements? Is there a fan inside the acm which distributes the hot air?

Edited by Chriull
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Is this what you expected?

I thought the bullet connector was supposed to be the hot spot, due to the additional resistance. It's also interesting that the bullet connector continues to heat up after you stop - or am I reading it wrong?

No. I thought the bullet connector would have the high temperature reading but this data was only based on a short 15 minute ride, half speed and level terrain. Now I just need to seek out a location that simulates the hills and valleys like @Marty Backe 's backyard. 

 

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

Seems like you've choosen the right connector and did an excellent job with soldering the wires to it!

The motor wires are not soldered to the probe. The probe was placed next to the bullet connector. 

 

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

Maybe going up the same hill with different speeds and letting then everything cool back to the "original" temperature before each ride! Would give some interesting numbers. Best combined with some wheellog/9bmetrics data logged for each ride :ph34r:

Yes that is a perfect plan along with gathering data from the wheellog/9bmetrics. The combination of data would offer some strong quantifiable evidence on the temperature fluctuations occurring during speed and elevation changes.

 

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

Since the bullet connector was one of the coolest parts in the chamber everything else kept heating it up, while the other parts lost temperature?

could also be, that the bullet connector was as good, that it did not heat up itself but was only heated by the mosfets and other wires - so the ambient temp graph of the morherboard would be interesting too. Could be that it coresponds with the the axle temp measurements? Is there a fan inside the acm which distributes the hot air?

Unfortunately there is not enough data to make any assumptions at this point. I have modified the ACM with an exhaust fan and air intake vents. The fan can be manually turned on and off. At the time of the data gathering the fan was off. That will be another upcoming research study to see how effective the exhaust fan is for dispersing heat.

1KD08iD.jpg

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw your post. Very interesting. I'm worried to see that the axle area is hotter, but like you say, you're really not running it full bore yet.

We do have some evidence that the wires do not get excessively hot near the axle.

The engineer in me loves to see data like this :thumbup:

Hopefully you're going to be able to find a hill that can stress the wheel to near breaking. If the Gotway telemetry isn't reporting temps in the 70's than you're probably not pushing it hard enough.

Hey, here's a semi-serious suggestion. Tie a rope around your waist and attach it to your car (your truck is probably too heavy). Put the car in neutral (best have someone behind the steering wheel when you do this) and then try pulling the car. If you can get the car moving that will probably simulate a nice long steep hill. Please video it for us :popcorn:

Edited by Marty Backe
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now