Aspects of Riding to Practice

I think we all have our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to riding, and the interesting part of EUCs is the continuing skills that we learn over time.  Here's some aspects of riding to practice:

1.  Launches from either foot.  I still need to practice this as sometimes it's nice to be able to train yourself to be able to start off from either side.  Maybe not a super useful skill to have, but I think it might come in handy.

2.  Riding in really tight circles at slower speeds.  I was riding downhill, and I wanted to do an U-turn on the pathway.  I did it before, but for some reason I wasn't able to turn sharply enough this time and had to ditch.  I think being able to turn within a small radius is very handy.  @SuperSport I think mentioned he was able to do turns within a one foot radius.

3.  90 degree sharp turns.  This comes in really handy when going around fences or sidewalks where things are very tight.  Even on my driveway, I can move around my car and the garage and make it onto the walk up to my house which has a sharp right angle turn.  I do have to move my arms a bit and give the wheel a slight pivot almost to get around the corner, but it's good practice for tight maneuvering.

4.  Riding backwards from a stop or coming to a forwards stop then moving backwards.  I have yet to try to learn this, but @Marty Backe has an excellent series of videos documenting his journey to acquiring this skill.

5.  Riding backwards and turning in either direction or riding in circles backwards.

6.  Coming to a stop and keeping control of the wheel without any hands.  I'm still practising this daily, and it's difficult to fight the urge to lean down to stabilize the wheel upon stopping.  I did notice that wearing jeans seems to help with better friction against the leg.

7.  Coming to a stop at interesections to press the crosswalk button.  Usually I stop and drop a foot down before doing so, but some people are able to stop and reach a hand out to lean against the pole while pressing the button.  I find it actually a little tricky to come to a stop and grab a pole as your balance seems to be thrown off.  Still practicing that one.

8.  Riding up and down hills and changing direction.  I'm used to it now,  but I remember that riding diagonally across a hill/rise in the road is a different sensation that you have to adjust to.  Stopping on an incline or decline is a other trick as you need to keep your foot level on the wheel while you step off with the other.  Maybe it's just me,  but this is still a little tricky especially facing downhill.  Maybe the San Fran riders can comment.

9.  Thowing footballs while riding.    Nope not for me after watching @dbfrese.  :blink:  Same goes for riding with an umbrella in moderate winds.  Done that, big mistake!

10.  Riding over grass or over/up gravel terrain.

11. Riding up sloped sidewalks head on or jumping up edged sidewalks.

12.  Riding on one leg.  Can people do this riding straight, or is it always in a circle?

13.  Riding while turning your head to look behind you and to the side without veering off course.

14.  Dabbin' on them haters without accidentally wiping out in the process.  :efeec46606:

What else?  Please feel free to comment or add other skills to practice.

Personally, I need to proactively work on very tight turns. I like how some people can place one foot on the ground and pivot around the foot to do a 180. New challenge (self-inflicted) accepted :)

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

9.  Thowing footballs while riding.    Nope not for me after watching @dbfrese.  :blink:  Same goes for riding with an umbrella in moderate winds.  Done that, big mistake!

On both accounts we've done the EUC community a great service in trying to push the boundaries and yet demonstrating that there are places where boundaries should not be pushed any longer. If there were only some sort of medal, we would both be quite deserving...

Riding on top of my wheel. When you have wheels come with seat (KS18, Monster, Msuper, or any other wheels that i haven't encountered) this could be a challenge. 

I still can't ride reverse... long way to go..

23 minutes ago, Sven said:

Riding on top of my wheel. When you have wheels come with seat (KS18, Monster, Msuper, or any other wheels that i haven't encountered) this could be a challenge. 

Great video. OK, now I expect to see you riding your Monster while standing on the seat, surfing style. With all of that surface area it should be a piece of cake :D

3 hours ago, dbfrese said:

On both accounts we've done the EUC community a great service in trying to push the boundaries and yet demonstrating that there are places where boundaries should not be pushed any longer. If there were only some sort of medal, we would both be quite deserving...

Ah you talking 'bout me?  597878_garysmiley.jpg  Sure, sure I'll take that.  Yes we both have contributed so much in pushing boundaries and discovering the limits to those boundaries.  <high five! :thumbup:>

Actually I'm quite surprised that I haven't been kicked off and banned from the forums yet (ahem), but surely someone higher up (looking at you @John Eucist) must appreciate the value of boundary pushing that we bring to the table.  I'm all about pushing those limits!  How about some kinda medal, John?  :w00t2:  I think it's about time?  :efefe00999: <queue the crickets>

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ah you talking 'bout me?  597878_garysmiley.jpg  Sure, sure I'll take that.  Yes we both have contributed so much in pushing boundaries and discovering the limits to those boundaries.  <high five! :thumbup:>

Actually I'm quite surprised that I haven't been kicked off and banned from the forums yet (ahem), but surely someone higher up (looking at you @John Eucist) must appreciate the value of boundary pushing that we bring to the table.  I'm all about pushing those limits!  How about some kinda medal, John?  :w00t2:  I think it's about time?  :efefe00999: <queue the crickets>

You mean we should esteem your efforts by introducing some at least some short time bans - bronze 10 mins, silber 30 mins and for gold medall  one hour B)... or did i get something wrong?

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Great video. OK, now I expect to see you riding your Monster while standing on the seat, surfing style. With all of that surface area it should be a piece of cake :D

That guy from Futurewheels has some good instructional videos.  Unfortunately, they are subtitled, but they are brief.  I'm pretty sure he is the distributor for rebranded Kingsongs in Denmark.

3 hours ago, Sven said:

But sitting down it should be easy, because you don't have to keep the feet on the pedals.

25 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That guy from Futurewheels has some good instructional videos.  Unfortunately, they are subtitled, but they are brief.  I'm pretty sure he is the distributor for rebranded Kingsongs in Denmark.

Close.....just missed a bit ;-)

Futurewheels are a company from the Netherlands...unfortunately they have only sold the 14b/c and no other wheels from KS.

So in the moment it seams they are pretty much out of business.

4 hours ago, Sven said:

super fun video!  Riding on top like that look sooooo hard!  I'm surprised they did so well at it.

6 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I love that video.  That guy is insanely good.  I just wish he made more videos!  Very inspiring.

I blame him completely for getting me into this infernal sport.  

HermantheGerman, I think it was, had a thread a month or two ago laying out his hopes for developing a skills-development course for his local riders club.  From elementary to more advanced.

Slalom seems one from his list that would be good to include here.  And of course if you like dufisthenics youtube vids, riding while drinking coffee. :)

I wish I could say jumping, but despite seeing tons of videos with people doing it, it seems to be generally recommended against.  I suppose that must be all the more so if you're not a true lightweight.

1 minute ago, Dingfelder said:

HermantheGerman, I think it was, had a thread a month or two ago laying out his hopes for developing a skills-development course for his local riders club.  From elementary to more advanced.

Slalom seems one from his list that would be good to include here.  And of course if you like dufisthenics youtube vids, riding while drinking coffee. :)

I wish I could say jumping, but despite seeing tons of videos with people doing it, it seems to be generally recommended against.  I suppose that must be all the more so if you're not a true lightweight.

From the videos posted here, I get the impression that some / a lot of people ride their wheels in a linear fashion.  Not me, I like to carve even when I'm nominally going in a straight line.  I'm always in better control when I'm riding slightly counter to the straight line.  And it keeps the feet from going numb.  

5 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I do extreme slaloming!  I actually tilt the pedals quite a bit doing this, and I can also do it pretty quickly.  It probably looks quite silly from all angles, but it's fun!  I also do lean turns where my whole body slopes to the side.  These skills are actually handy to go up sloped sidewalks without scraping pedals if you have a low pedaled wheel.  I can approach the sidewalk at almost any angle and tilt the wheel to ride up to avoid skimming the pedal.

Emergency avoidance maneuvers and braking might another good thing to practice.  I've had pedestrians suddenly stop walking and do a U-Turn right into my path where I have to swerve and avoid.  I'm usually not going fast so it's not a huge problem.

Super slow riding is good to practice so you can go at baby crawl speeds behind pedestrians.  This also improves your low speed balance.  I can actually creep super slowly and silently behind unsuspecting pedestrians.  It's quite fun to do.

Coming to a full stop, pausing slightly, and going is a handy skill to learn.  I usually come to stops at stop signs and look around before proceeding.  I think it impresses drivers as they see me roll to a pause and go.

Practice small jumps to get over sidewalk irregularities easier.  I think this is good to practice as it likely helps transition to hopping up edged sidewalks.

Riding While Heal-Toeing.  This helps to relieve foot and leg fatigue and assists with blood flow.  I'll point my one foot down over the front edge of the pedal while lifting up my heal and then back to level.  Imagine it as pivoting on the front edge.  You have to be careful not to loose pressure on the front edge while doing this, but I find it helps a lot.  Also pivoting inwards and outwards also changes up the foot pressure to fight fatigue.

Duck and Roll.  Ever find low hanging tree branches?  Being able to bend down at the knees and waist to avoid these is helpful and possibly handy at parties where they have EUC Limbo challenges.

Turning around and talking to someone behind you.  Ever have people asking you questions that you just want to give a quick reply to?  Practice looking back and turning your upper body slightly to one side while still riding in a straight line.

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Coming to a full stop, pausing slightly, and going is a handy skill to learn.  I usually come to stops at stop signs and look around before proceeding.  I think it impresses drivers as they see me roll to a pause and go

I've recently started practicing that, I find that my feeling of balance is getting stronger, to the point that sometimes I can go backwards a few feet and then go forwards again.  I can't ride backward more than a few feet, but the pause and go is fun.

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I've recently started practicing that, I find that my feeling of balance is getting stronger, to the point that sometimes I can go backwards a few feet and then go forwards again.  I can't ride backward more than a few feet, but the pause and go is fun.

Yeah, I use stop lights now to practice my backward riding skills. Still not as smooth as I'd like because I know that there are a lot of eyes on me and that screws with my success rate :(

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I use stop lights now to practice my backward riding skills

You ride backwards pretty well already, I saw some of your videos.  I use the step offs while trying to learn backwards riding to practice getting on with the other foot.:(  I can get on with either foot, but can only step off with the same foot as always.:P

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

You ride backwards pretty well already, I saw some of your videos.  I use the step offs while trying to learn backwards riding to practice getting on with the other foot.:(  I can get on with either foot, but can only step off with the same foot as always.:P

Thanks. I'm still not very consistent, so that only comes with lots of practice.

2 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I love that video.  That guy is insanely good.  I just wish he made more videos!  Very inspiring.

He must have had training in gymnastics in order to perform some of his fantastic tricks! He actually has quit a few videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9aYcb8ktwYNFYjHVQ_N_1A

6 hours ago, radial said:

From the videos posted here, I get the impression that some / a lot of people ride their wheels in a linear fashion.  Not me, I like to carve even when I'm nominally going in a straight line.  I'm always in better control when I'm riding slightly counter to the straight line.  And it keeps the feet from going numb.  

It seems like a fun way to move. I used to do that on my bike and with rollerblades all the time.

Archived