Rywokast

56 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

A number of people here have sold their wheels because they wanted to upgrade to newer versions of the same wheel.  There have been some good bargains in the used wheel section here.  And some of the sellers have been around here for a while, sold multiple wheels and such, so they're by now well vetted by the community.  

That and jumping on wheel close-outs might be a good way to save some money.  

One nice thing is that you can even order from people in different parts of the U.S. and even in Europe and get a wheel for a similar price, because they might all go from China to Los Angeles, at which point extra costs have yet to be incurred.  Marty Backe, out of California, got a wheel from Ian of speedyfeet.uk, I think, as well as one from Jason, who is in Florida, ... and I think may have recommended myfunwheels.com out of Brentwood California, too.

So as far as your wallet goes, it may not always much where a person's brick and mortar shop is. 

Impressive memory :cheers:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one question i do have is going over curbs, even small sloped ones for sidewalks, i frequently nail the front of the cycle (part closest to the ground) even though i intentionally lean back while going over any curb.. it makes a really ugly noise... im not sure if the ninebot casing is just exceptionally low to the ground, or if my city just has high curbs lol.. i do have a dremel and am considering taking off a small portion at the front, but as i can see there is a return edge and removing it could have an effect on the integrity of the shell. anyone have any ideas? its not my tire either its inflated to near max

4 hours ago, Rywokast said:

one question i do have is going over curbs, even small sloped ones for sidewalks, i frequently nail the front of the cycle (part closest to the ground) even though i intentionally lean back while going over any curb.. it makes a really ugly noise... im not sure if the ninebot casing is just exceptionally low to the ground, or if my city just has high curbs lol.. i do have a dremel and am considering taking off a small portion at the front, but as i can see there is a return edge and removing it could have an effect on the integrity of the shell. anyone have any ideas? its not my tire either its inflated to near max

I'd try reposting this specific question in the Ninebot section of the forum.  You may find the audience there has specific experience with that problem.  Good luck!

8 hours ago, Rywokast said:

never bought a warranty in my life and never regretted not doing so..

I think that most of us, that are experienced online shoppers, do the same thing you are trying to do, get the best deal possible :smartass:.  However, most people that are talking about purchasing from a reputable reseller, like @Jason McNeil is because we've seen how unstable a lot of these high end wheels are and how many problems they can have.  It is not a unique problem to one brand, but it appears that the more the manufacturers push the limits with the wheels the more problems you could run into.  It seems a little counter intuitive to think that you can pay more for a wheel only to find that it may have more problems, but in many cases it is true (I'm comparing paying $500 for a Ninebot vs. $1500 for an ACM or 16S).  I certainly don't want to steer you away from the sport or from upgrading your wheel, but this forum is littered with examples of people having problems with their wheels.  Those people that purchased from an online auction site are generally screwed and those that purchased from a reputable dealer are supported until a resolution is found (generally speaking).  Below you'll see a recent example of a problem that, at the time I write this, is an unresolved problem, likely causing a lot of frustration for a rider (that spent good money).  I have no idea what the resolution will be, but if it's a battery problem and it ends up being self diagnosed and not waranteed by the Aliexpress reseller, then this could be a few hundred dollars in parts, hours of research, and hopefully the end result is a working wheel, but who knows?  I only point this out, not to scare you, but to try and help distinguish between an online wheel purchase vs. regular online shopping.  Hopefully this doesn't come across as me trying to tell you where to buy from, but I just wanted to help point out how many similar horror stories we see on this forum so that you can help make an informed purchase decision :)

Archived