Rywokast

I'm probably too new to really be able to welcome you, but welcome anyway!

I'm actually kind of enjoying being all geared up, it feels like wearing armor.  I do the helmet, wrist pads, elbow pads, knee pads.  Gonna get gloves and maybe a reflective orange vest.  Then maybe I'll put some aluminum foil on my helmet for good measure, lol  

But... yes, I also hope you decide to join Group One.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have actually decided to cancel my order for the V8 and spend the extra couple hundred bucks to future proof myself a bit more.. It is between the Gotway ACM or MSuper, both 1600 watt models, I am leaning towards the ACM right now because in my city most of the sidewalks are pretty small, or crowded especially near downtown or malls and the 16" I think would be more maneuverable in these situations, plus the 18" may be too big for me (120 lbs).. I do like the look of it better, and the built in trolley handle but those arent as important.

6 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

I have actually decided to cancel my order for the V8 and spend the extra couple hundred bucks to future proof myself a bit more.. It is between the Gotway ACM or MSuper, both 1600 watt models, I am leaning towards the ACM right now because in my city most of the sidewalks are pretty small, or crowded especially near downtown or malls and the 16" I think would be more maneuverable in these situations, plus the 18" may be too big for me (120 lbs).. I do like the look of it better, and the built in trolley handle but those arent as important.

The ACM is my favorite wheel and I think the best all purpose high performance wheel. You can get a nice trolley handle as an accessory, and I think (check the website) if you buy it from @Jason McNeil at EWheels he includes the trolley handle with the purchase.

Love the ACM :D

Think you should consider the King Song KS-16S.  It has the integrated trolley handle.  Performance is more than most can handle.  I've been riding for over 2 months and don't feel comfortable going faster than 35km/h which is the speed limit for the KS16S. It also has Bluetooth music.  I use this all the time when I'm riding.  

9 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Think you should consider the King Song KS-16S.  It has the integrated trolley handle.  Performance is more than most can handle.  I've been riding for over 2 months and don't feel comfortable going faster than 35km/h which is the speed limit for the KS16S. It also has Bluetooth music.  I use this all the time when I'm riding.  

i was looking at kingsongs before i actually got the ninebot but the price deterred me, but now that you mention it I just checked on aliexpress and theyre actually cheaper than the ACM's... hmmm another contender ill have to research this one some more it looks very promising

Both wheels are great (16S and ACM). Take the ACM (84V) for the big battery if you need it (don't underestimate how awesome that is) and for pure power/speed (at 120 lbs you can go 40 km/h or so without problem) as well as the "Batwheel" shell; and the 16S for more features (trolley handle, better lights, speakers,...) and also a great look.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The ACM is my favorite wheel and I think the best all purpose high performance wheel. You can get a nice trolley handle as an accessory, and I think (check the website) if you buy it from @Jason McNeil at EWheels he includes the trolley handle with the purchase.

Love the ACM :D

Nice! I've watched your videos on youtube Marty, and the comparisons :thumbup:

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

@Rywokast, do you really want to buy a wheel with a speed limiter? ;)   Also, the ACM will run circles around the KS16 when it comes to range. The ACM is just getting it's second wind by the time the KS16 is being put to bed for a recharge.

So if you want limited speed and range the KS16 is the perfect wheel :thumbup: Of course I'm having some fun at the expense of KingSong, but these are worthwhile considerations to ponder.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

@Rywokast, do you really want to buy a wheel with a speed limiter? ;)   Also, the ACM will run circles around the KS16 when it comes to range. The ACM is just getting it's second wind by the time the KS16 is being put to bed for a recharge.

So if you want limited speed and range the KS16 is the perfect wheel :thumbup: Of course I'm having some fun at the expense of KingSong, but these are worthwhile considerations to ponder.

The limit is for the safety of the customer.  Not sure what would happen to you @Marty Backe if you hit the curb at over 35km/h and the wheel fails.  Also the range isn't much of an issue, I rode today for 2 hours and still have 70% battery left.  Think the battery on the KS16S will outlast mostly everyone's stamina.  So that is kind of moot. 

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

i was looking at kingsongs before i actually got the ninebot but the price deterred me, but now that you mention it I just checked on aliexpress and theyre actually cheaper than the ACM's... hmmm another contender ill have to research this one some more it looks very promising

If I were you I would go with someone like jason or myfunwheels.com instead, so you can get good support after your purchase.  That has come in immensely handy lately with the Gotway MSuper debacle, and if in the future one of their customers has a question, he can get a response in good English from someone with a western sense of responsibility and customer service.  I don't think you can get anything like that from Aliexpress and it's worth paying a significant premium for, IMO.

On 7/17/2017 at 3:04 PM, Marty Backe said:

Here's a guy that certainly isn't pushing any boundaries. Does it look like he had a fun day?

Hmmm, his friend had a much better day riding IPS Lhotz!

LhotzVsNinebot.jpg

The limit is for the safety of the customer.

In this case (below 60kg weight), there really is a difference. The KS stops you at 35 no matter what, while you can go 45 on the ACM (@Pingouin did that I believe) and 40 would be a safe speed with still some reserves.

Also the range isn't much of an issue, I rode today for 2 hours and still have 70% battery left.  Think the battery on the KS16S will outlast mostly everyone's stamina.  So that is kind of moot. 

I needed one long ride that depleted my ACM to realize even its 1300 Wh are not nearly enough. So depending on what the wheel is intended for, the bigger battery is a huge difference.

Actually I really liked the 18S with 1680 Wh and was dreaming of ordering one, but that ride made me realize the small battery upgrade was not worth it for me and 2000 Wh is my new very minimum that would make any new wheel worth the price. May be the exception, but it's a thing.

--

Anyways, what I can recommend is not to go for a 67V ACM (680Wh, 820Wh) - then the 16S is better, I think (same battery size but the rest is arguably better). But the 84V ACMs have their own unique strengths.

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

If I were you I would go with someone like jason or myfunwheels.com instead, so you can get good support after your purchase.  That has come in immensely handy lately with the Gotway MSuper debacle, and if in the future one of their customers has a question, he can get a response in good English from someone with a western sense of responsibility and customer service.  I don't think you can get anything like that from Aliexpress and it's worth paying a significant premium for, IMO.

hmmm, if I was rich I would for sure, but they are like 200 US more on there than on ali..

31 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In this case (below 60kg weight), there really is a difference. The KS stops you at 35 no matter what, while you can go 45 on the ACM (@Pingouin did that I believe) and 40 would be a safe speed with still some reserves.

I needed one long ride that depleted my ACM to realize even its 1300 Wh are not nearly enough. So depending on what the wheel is intended for, the bigger battery is a huge difference.

Actually I really liked the 18S with 1680 Wh and was dreaming of ordering one, but that ride made me realize the small battery upgrade was not worth it for me and 2000 Wh is my new very minimum that would make any new wheel worth the price. May be the exception, but it's a thing.

--

Anyways, what I can recommend is not to go for a 67V ACM (680Wh, 820Wh) - then the 16S is better, I think (same battery size but the rest is arguably better). But the 84V ACMs have their own unique strengths.

when i set my limit to 35km/h, i hit it rarely and when i approach the 35km/h, it is very scary.  do you ride at 40km/h?  whoever rides that fast is just asking for it.

how far did you ride to deplete 1300Wh in one sitting???  hard to believe many have the stamina.

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

The limit is for the safety of the customer.  Not sure what would happen to you @Marty Backe if you hit the curb at over 35km/h and the wheel fails.  Also the range isn't much of an issue, I rode today for 2 hours and still have 70% battery left.  Think the battery on the KS16S will outlast mostly everyone's stamina.  So that is kind of moot. 

You can't really make a blanket statement that the 16S will outlast mostly everyone. It's simply not true. I know many people who take rides with Gotway wheels that would be impossible on a KS16S.

I will concede that the 16S may suffice for many, but "range anxiety" is a real thing among many enthusiast riders. That's probably why the ACM V2s+, MSuper V3s+, and Monster are so popular; they have huge ranges that people want.

48 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

hmmm, if I was rich I would for sure, but they are like 200 US more on there than on ali..

If you are going to by a Gotway wheel from Aliexpress then I would wait at least six months so that you have a better chance of getting a wheel manufactured post June 2017. Otherwise you ware rolling the dice that you'll get one with bad firmware. IMHO.

I don't know if you have to be rich to afford the extra $200. Keep in mind that EWheels provides a trolley and fast charger which is probably worth the $200. But more importantly you know that you're getting a good wheel with trustworthy support.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You can't really make a blanket statement that the 16S will outlast mostly everyone. It's simply not true. I know many people who take rides with Gotway wheels that would be impossible on a KS16S.

I will concede that the 16S may suffice for many, but "range anxiety" is a real thing among many enthusiast riders. That's probably why the ACM V2s+, MSuper V3s+, and Monster are so popular; they have huge ranges that people want.

Hey Marty, you've been riding for much longer than I have, have you ever ran out of battery?  Also what is the longest run you have done in hours and distance and how much battery did you use and have left?  

I'm interested in who has been using up their battery and what they were doing with it.  I like to think I'm pushing mine pretty hard.  I cruise at ~20mph most of the time.  Again, it is just from my experience so far and how I've not been able to make a dent in 840Wh, I can't imagine what people are doing to drain the 1300Wh or the 1600Wh batteries.  I did some pretty long hills today too, I went over the Brooklyn Bridge and around my area it is all hills, some are just scary. 

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

Hey Marty, you've been riding for much longer than I have, have you ever ran out of battery?  Also what is the longest run you have done in hours and distance and how much battery did you use and have left?  

I'm interested in who has been using up their battery and what they were doing with it.  I like to think I'm pushing mine pretty hard.  I cruise at ~20mph most of the time.  Again, it is just from my experience so far and how I've not been able to make a dent in 840Wh, I can't imagine what people are doing to drain the 1300Wh or the 1600Wh batteries.  I did some pretty long hills today too, I went over the Brooklyn Bridge and around my area it is all hills, some are just scary. 

I have not totally run down my 1300wh ACM, 1600wh MSuper, or 2400wh Monster except during range tests. But that's the point of having those higher capacity wheels, so that I no longer run out of battery. I can ride wherever I want and not worry about the battery.

But when I had my 840wh wheels I ran out of juice all the time. I can easily ride for 30 miles which uses up most of a 840wh battery. Yesterday I rode 45 miles for 3-1/2 hours and had ~20% battery remaining on my 1300wh ACM. I've ridden 65 miles on my Monster. My 1600wh MSuper is very new so I haven't had any long rides on it yet.

Now I can go for a 30 miles ride, and when I see a path that I haven't traveled I can feel free to do so because I still have twice as many miles in the tank.

Hey, everyone is different of course. There are many folks who get all the enjoyment they need from riding 15 miles. But that's not me. I'm a long distance rider :D

I think my verdict is the KS16s 1200/840.. it is 100 cheaper than the ACM plus built in trolley handle that looks good, battery is slightly larger (and large enough to very easily get me to anywhere in my city and back twice by my calculations), although the motor is 300W less, but to be fair I reckon I will never go top speed unless i'm in full gear on a huge open field and I think 1200W is way more than enough power for someone of my size.. If the ACM was the exact same price and included the handle I would go for it, but for 100 less (200 including the handle) for a better looking IMO wheel, think i'll go for that. You guys provide some good information though and I have until Monday to pull the trigger on a new purchase but thats where i'm currently leaning.

For reference i'm on an island, and the next city is over 60 km from me so no wheel could get there and back likely (not that I would anyways, it's a two lane highway with no sidewalks) so im not sure if spending the extra 320 for the next up ACM 1300Wh battery would be worth it to me seeing as unless for the intentions of draining it, I would never use it up anyways.. but like I said i'll think about it until Monday

8 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

I think my verdict is the KS16s 1200/840.. it is 100 cheaper than the ACM plus built in trolley handle that looks good, battery is slightly larger (and large enough to very easily get me to anywhere in my city and back twice by my calculations), although the motor is 300W less, but to be fair I reckon I will never go top speed unless i'm in full gear on a huge open field and I think 1200W is way more than enough power for someone of my size.. If the ACM was the exact same price and included the handle I would go for it, but for 100 less (200 including the handle) for a better looking IMO wheel, think i'll go for that. You guys provide some good information though and I have until Monday to pull the trigger on a new purchase but thats where i'm currently leaning.

16S is a great choice and I agree with @eddiemoy that the range won't be an issue for you for a long time. @Marty Backe is correct, at some point you may want more (speed, range) but i just had the same dilemma, had the ACM on order (1600) and once the oscillating problem occurred it was enough to change my mind. Did I have regrets while waiting for the 16S to arrive? Yeah, maybe, but now that I've got my new wheel and have been riding it, I'm sold on the wheel, it's speed, range, music, trolley handle and look are awesome!

57 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the 16S.

For clarification I do want to add this tidbit of EUC Wisdom. Extra power and extra battery capacity arguably makes for a safer wheel. There are situations that you can get into where the extra motor power and extra battery capacity (to feed the demands of the motor) will keep the wheel balancing instead of cutting out on you, resulting in a possible face plant.

This is why I want a wheel (84v ACM) that can do 28mph even though I rarely ride it faster than 22mph. And I'm very rarely riding it where the battery is at a low charge (because of the huge batteries) and therefore the wheel safely operates in a safer zone.

So to reiterate, beyond the riding benefits of larger batteries and more powerful motors, I recommend those attributes for safety.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the 16S.

For clarification I do want to add this tidbit of EUC Wisdom. Extra power and extra battery capacity arguably makes for a safer wheel. There are situations that you can get into where the extra motor power and extra battery capacity (to feed the demands of the motor) will keep the wheel balancing instead of cutting out on you, resulting in a possible face plant.

This is why I want a wheel (84v ACM) that can do 28mph even though I rarely ride it faster than 22mph. And I'm very rarely riding it where the battery is at a low charge (because of the huge batteries) and therefore the wheel safely operates in a safer zone.

So to reiterate, beyond the riding benefits of larger batteries and more powerful motors, I recommend those attributes for safety.

Hmmmm good point.. thats true, can never be too safe

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I have not totally run down my 1300wh ACM, 1600wh MSuper, or 2400wh Monster except during range tests. But that's the point of having those higher capacity wheels, so that I no longer run out of battery. I can ride wherever I want and not worry about the battery.

But when I had my 840wh wheels I ran out of juice all the time. I can easily ride for 30 miles which uses up most of a 840wh battery. Yesterday I rode 45 miles for 3-1/2 hours and had ~20% battery remaining on my 1300wh ACM. I've ridden 65 miles on my Monster. My 1600wh MSuper is very new so I haven't had any long rides on it yet.

Now I can go for a 30 miles ride, and when I see a path that I haven't traveled I can feel free to do so because I still have twice as many miles in the tank.

Hey, everyone is different of course. There are many folks who get all the enjoyment they need from riding 15 miles. But that's not me. I'm a long distance rider :D

how come you didn't call me? 

1 minute ago, Sven said:

how come you didn't call me? 

Just a spur of the moment ride.

I'm taking the MSuper for an exploratory ride at Griffith Park tomorrow (Sunday) morning. I'm not sure of the trail conditions or if my MSuper (or a Monster) can handle them. I'm hoping to start 7:30am because I want to be done before it starts getting very warm.

Archived