No riding on the strand in Hermosa Beach

abinder3

Well, I got stopped by a policeman today on the strand in Hermosa Beach, CA at 7:45am this morning. 

(Lights to walk bikes wasn't blinking.)

He told me that according to HBMC (Hermosa Beach Municipal Code), there's no riding of anything electric on the strand in Hermosa Beach even though it's a bike path.  He stated it's okay to ride in the bike path that's in the street.  (The good thing is, there's signs put up on the bike path in the street saying it's okay to use the whole right lane where it's labeled bike path.  Apparently, the whole right car lane is also the bike path lane.)

Okay, so I guess no more checking out the 'scenery' at the beach in Hermosa Beach while riding.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there a California law that says "EUCs can go where bicycles can go"? Local ordinances should not be able to override this (otherwise the law would be pointless).

Whether you still go on the beach or not, you could at least make the point you're using the bike lane voluntarily instead of because you have to (in the case that law is as stated and you don't go on the beach).

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Isn't there a California law that says "EUCs can go where bicycles can go"? Local ordinances should not be able to override this (otherwise the law would be pointless).

Whether you still go on the beach or not, you could at least make the point you're using the bike lane voluntarily instead of because you have to (in the case that law is as stated and you don't go on the beach).

I'm not going to push it.  It's just a little inconvience.  I said something to him about it being a bike lane and that's when he quoted it being a part of the HBMC that there's no riding of anything electric on the Strand.  He was very nice about it.  

Better to just not ride on the Strand and not put a 'grey cloud' over the EUC community. 

@abinder3 I wouldn't push it either. If they ban electric bikes it's not likely they'd allow EUCs.

http://www.codepublishing.com/CA/HermosaBeach/#!/HermosaBeach12/HermosaBeach1220.html#12.20.220

12.20.220 Motorized bicycles and motor vehicles.

No pedal-powered motorized bicycle, or motorized vehicle of any kind other than those used for the purpose of protecting life or property, shall be ridden, pedaled, walked, carried onto or otherwise enter any portion or the Strand walkway or beach at any time. A violation of this section shall be an infraction. (Prior code § 5-24)

9 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Well, I got stopped by a policeman today on the strand in Hermosa Beach, CA at 7:45am this morning. 

He told me that according to HBMC (Hermosa Beach Municipal Code), there's no riding of anything electric on the strand in Hermosa Beach even though it's a bike path.  He stated it's okay to ride in the bike path that's in the street.  (The good thing is, there's signs put up on the bike path in the street saying it's okay to use the whole right lane where it's labeled bike path.  Apparently, the whole right car lane is also the bike path lane.)

Okay, so I guess no more checking out the 'scenery' at the beach in Hermosa Beach while riding.  

Just get an electric bike and pretend to pedal:ph34r:  Or get so good at one legged riding that you can pretend to be riding a one wheeled skateboard, like @Hirsute  That's the next trick I am going to try.  But kudos to you for not pushing the matter.  0745 is probably just before shift change.  If you rode at shift change, you would have at least a 15 minute window.:whistling:

On 7/15/2017 at 11:53 AM, abinder3 said:

Last week I has a similar situation.  I was kicked off the ocean city Maryland boardwalk at around 9:30am(bikes and skateboards are allowed until 11am here).  He told me the only motorized devices allowed on the boardwalk were segways.  I explained to him its basically a one wheeled segway but to no avail.  I had already riden down the boardwalk 5 or 6 times passing countless police and safety personnel, most of which waved as I went by.  Depends on who you get I guess.  Shame as it does take away some great scenic routes as you have stated.  

On 7/15/2017 at 8:53 AM, abinder3 said:

It's a well know fact (maybe not too well known, but I knew about since last summer). You can look it up at the website for The Strand. No Segways, etc. are allowed.

Of course that's a very small part of the bike path. I'm still going to ride it. I've never seen a cop on the Strand before. YMMV.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It's a well know fact (maybe not too well known, but I knew about since last summer). You can look it up at the website for The Strand. No Segways, etc. are allowed.

Of course that's a very small part of the bike path. I'm still going to ride it. I've never seen a cop on the Strand before. YMMV.

Well this time it was 2 policeman in their SUV. 

It would probably be best to not since we know and we don't want a reputation of riding where we're not suppose to. We don't need to have them start making laws that we can't ride on bike paths all together. 

Reading the text of the Code posted earlier it seems crazy that inline skates, skateboards and push bikes are allowed but anything electric is not. I see inline skaters and boarders doing crazy maneuvers among pedestrians where I live and fail to see much difference between their risk and that of an EUC. They already have code agasinst excessive speed that they could get the errant fast wheeler with. Shame. Never heard of The Strand before. I just looked it up on Google maps. Looks like an awesome place to ride. My condolences it has been taken from you.

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

Well this time it was 2 policeman in their SUV. 

It would probably be best to not since we know and we don't want a reputation of riding where we're not suppose to. We don't need to have them start making laws that we can't ride on bike paths all together. 

Jason rides that every day. The only place to be wary is at the pier, otherwise I doubt that they will be riding their SUV on the actual walkway to 'catch' you. As is always the case, it varies so much by the cop.

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Jason rides that every day. The only place to be wary is at the pier, otherwise I doubt that they will be riding their SUV on the actual walkway to 'catch' you. As is always the case, it varies so much by the cop.

Why do you want to push it ?

You do the same thing at the Griffith Park Observatory.  You know that we aren't suppose to ride anywhere there but the driveway that leads to the back of it on the east side of the Observatory, but you still like to 'push it' and sometimes ride over to the west side of the Observatory like you did when Jason was here. And then that time, a girl that works with the park rangers there told you that we aren't suppose to ride on that side.  But what did you do?  You rode your EUC back to the east side and then left.  That's one reason why I took longer to get down; I waked my EUC back to the east side and then rode it. 

You just seem to like to 'push it' where you know they say we aren't suppose to ride. Why ?

Riding attitudes like that are going to start getting us banned from places that we can now rides. Is it really worth it ?

37 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

You do the same thing at the Griffith Park Observatory.  You know that we aren't suppose to ride anywhere there but the driveway that leads to the back of it on the east side of the Observatory, but you still like to 'push it' and sometimes ride over to the west side of the Observatory like you did when Jason was here. And then that time, a girl that works with the park rangers there told you that we aren't suppose to ride on that side.  But what did you do?  You rode your EUC back to the east side and then left.  That's one reason why I took longer to get down; I waked my EUC back to the east side and then rode it. 

You just seem to like to 'push it' where you know they say we aren't suppose to ride. Why ?

Riding attitudes like that are going to start getting us banned from places that we can now rides. Is it really worth it ?

I don't like the authoritarians who enjoy their little power trips by interpreting rules on the fly "just because". You weren't there, but on group ride a ranger told us we can't ride even on the driveway. Yet another ranger told us on different day that it was OK.

I'm not going to flout the rules openly on the Strand. I'll apply some common sense. If I see any signs of police I'll avoid the area. It's really ridiculous - we all see the bicyclists and inline skaters who are often going faster than us and taking up more space. Yet we're the ones banned?

I'll keep pushing it unless I see a "No EUCs" sign, but really, I'm certainly never obnoxious with my interactions with authority figures or anyone else for that matter. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't like the authoritarians who enjoy their little power trips by interpreting rules on the fly "just because". You weren't there, but on group ride a ranger told us we can't ride even on the driveway. Yet another ranger told us on different day that it was OK.

I'm not going to flout the rules openly on the Strand. I'll apply some common sense. If I see any signs of police I'll avoid the area. It's really ridiculous - we all see the bicyclists and inline skaters who are often going faster than us and taking up more space. Yet we're the ones banned?

I'll keep pushing it unless I see a "No EUCs" sign, but really, I'm certainly never obnoxious with my interactions with authority figures or anyone else for that matter. 

Guess we need start lobbying! I'm sure american skateboard association has some professional lobbyists to tell police to stand the f down ;)

2 hours ago, abinder3 said:

What you call "pushing it" I call progress trying to update outdated laws with new technologies. If there is a law that doesn't seem right, then we as American citizens do have the right to protest and talk to lawmakers to hopefully get laws changed for the benefit of the society. Otherwise we will forever be stuck with old outdated laws. From looking at HBMC ordinance, it seems reasonable and consistent that they ban anything with a motor including Segways and e-bikes. Hopefully they stay consistent and apply that to "hoverboards" and small Razer kid-sized scooters.

But with that said, what @WARPed1 said brings up a damn good point on the flaw in HBMC (or any government) trying to regulate what is prohibited or not in the name of safety. A bicyclist going 20-30 mph or a skateboarder bombing a decline is just as and probably even more dangerous than any of these small personal electric devices. What we should regulate is not EPAMDs themselves, but the actions you do with the EPAMDs. Therefore cops can go after the people that are riding irresponsibly  (speeding, weaving close, ect.) regardless of what they are riding. Hell, they can apply that to something just running irresponsibility. That is why every time I ride I always just say to people that I'm just a one-wheel bicyclist, so therefore I should be treated the same.

I wonder if the local police will be able to stop those electric skateboards. Because for me, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between regular skateboard and booster board.

1 hour ago, Sven said:

I wonder if the local police will be able to stop those electric skateboards. Because for me, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between regular skateboard and booster board.

I've never seen one on the Strand.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You showed it in the video.
It's possible the park ranger on the day that he told you it wasn't allowed on the driveway was a result of the previous encounter on the west side of the Observatory.
(I believe that was the day immediately after when I was on the ride.)

You're pushing it just may end up the same way that 'drone' flyers did that caused rules to be set in place when it comes to flying 'drones around.  I was one of the first ones that was flying 'drones'.  At first everything was fine, but then more people started getting them and they started pushing it where they would fly without using common sense.  Now there's more and more regulations when it comes to flying 'drones'.

Would you like the same thing to happen to riding our EUCs?

Does it really hurt so much not to ride on the Strand when the street is less than a block away from the Strand?

Just the act of 'pushing it' is being obnoxious when you know that they don't want us to ride them there.  This act could very well make them over react and put a law in the books banning us from riding EUCs on the bike path all together.

7 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

I've never seen one on the Strand.

I've seen electric skateboards on the Strand. Couldn't tell the brand at the time.

80% of the bicyclists also don't walk when the light is flashing. Rampant lawbreakers everywhere ;)

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I've seen electric skateboards on the Strand. Couldn't tell the brand at the time.

80% of the bicyclists also don't walk when the light is flashing. Rampant lawbreakers everywhere ;)

And most of those bicyclists aren't going that fast.

So, since someone is breaking the law, that makes it okay for us to break the law ??????

And yes, before you ask, I walk my EUC whenever the lights are flashing to tell people that they are suppose to walk their bikes.
And at Redondo Beach pier, the area where it states to walk your bike, I walk my EUC.

Just trying to show some common sense and not draw attention to EUC riders so we aren't thought of the people that feel we are above the law and common sense doesn't apply to us.

1 minute ago, abinder3 said:

You showed it in the video.
It's possible the park ranger on the day that he told you it wasn't allowed on the driveway was a result of the previous encounter on the west side of the Observatory.
(I believe that was the day immediately after when I was on the ride.)

You're pushing it just may end up the same way that 'drone' flyers did that caused rules to be set in place when it comes to flying 'drones around.  I was one of the first ones that was flying 'drones'.  At first everything was fine, but then more people started getting them and they started pushing it where they would fly without using common sense.  Now there's more and more regulations when it comes to flying 'drones'.

Would you like the same thing to happen to riding our EUCs?

Does it really hurt so much not to ride on the Strand when the street is less than a block away from the Strand?

Just the act of 'pushing it' is being obnoxious when you know that they don't want us to ride them there.  This act could very well make them over react and put a law in the books banning us from riding EUCs on the bike path all together.

As long as we're not riding together you should be safe from the law :D

I'm sure that my slight transgressions will not result in EUC's being banned from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica. 

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

As long as we're not riding together you should be safe from the law :D

I'm sure that my slight transgressions will not result in EUC's being banned from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica. 

The park ranger telling you that you can't ride in the driveway on the east side of the Observatory may very well be a result of your riding on the west side of the Observatory the previous day.

You just don't seem to get it do you?

Why do you think that it's okay to push it?

Do you think that you are someone special and things like this don't apply to you and you can do anything that you want ?

11 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

The park ranger telling you that you can't ride in the driveway on the east side of the Observatory may very well be a result of your riding on the west side of the Observatory the previous day.

You just don't seem to get it do you?

Why do you think that it's okay to push it?

Do you think that you are someone special and things like this don't apply to you and you and do anything that you want ?

I was there. He didn't know what our wheels were or that we had been there before. You give them too much much credit.

If you lived in Germany I gather that you wouldn't ride at all because they are illegal there. Yet that doesn't stop a bunch of law breakers from still enjoying their wheels.

I clearly don't get it. Yes, I'm special and can do anything I want.

Relax Allen. Don't over-analyze the situation. Apply common sense for riding around people and enjoy the ride.

Edit. I think @jrkline is starting to rub off on me ;)

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I was there. He didn't know what our wheels were or that we had been there before. You give them too much much credit.

If you lived in Germany I gather that you wouldn't ride at all because they are illegal there. Yet that doesn't stop a bunch of law breakers from still enjoying their wheels.

I clearly don't get it. Yes, I'm special and can do anything I want.

Relax Allen. Don't over-analyze the situation. Apply common sense for riding around people and enjoy the ride.

Seriously??????

You tell me to apply common sense when you obviously refuse to "apply common sense" when it comes to riding on the Strand ?

I'm just telling you that your actions may very well hurt it for everyone else in the future.

(I sure hope that you don't ever get a 'drone'.  I'd hate to see what your "pushing it" will mean then as well.)

Archived