How dangerous is it to ride an EUC in the rain?

LanghamP

Why?

because of an electrical short?

as long as it is light rain and not for longer time i see it as no problem....

never had probs with my Ks14,18 and GW V3

47 minutes ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

It depends of maker/model. For example Ninebot S2 has an IP rating, but E+ hasn't and needs some mod.

One should not trust the ratings of the wheel manufacturers... ;(

Once E+ was introduced it also was advertised by ninebot with an IP65 rating, until they discovered that it's not true...

I've got a KS14c, V5F+, GW 3s.

I'm more concerned with slipping. The 90 degree sidewalk turn, especially if there's repair that, I find I do slide a bit. What does not seem a big deal in the dry, seems a very big concern in the wet. Even stepping on the EUC with wet shoes there is a slide on the pads.

6 hours ago, LanghamP said:

To me it feels scary as hell.

Thoughts? Opinions? Tips?

Aside from your fears of slipping off the pedals, you'll know for sure how it goes someday when a rain storm catches you someplace  without a shelter and you decide to go on to your destination. Ninebot One E+ is officially ok (instructions card) up to a water level just below the outer diameter of the enclosed motor(where the current flows). Ninebot's have pedals with a very good grip when wet. 

Riding (braking, turning) on slippery - mucky mud or wet loose gravel can lead to trouble. I'm always on guard (avoid) when traversing rain storm puddles near sidewalks for which I can't see the bottom features clearly. 10 mph is about as fast as I go in the rain. My glasses become dysfunctional when wetted by rain drops. I take them off while riding in the rain, unless I'm using an umbrella at the same time.

Out of habit I dry the Ninebot standing upright for about 30 minutes rather than resting it on its side after a wet trek. You might consider not recharging the battery for the same time period.

Given the choice between riding in moderate to heavy rain or staying inside till it stops........I stay indoors. Wet clothing feels and looks terrible at your destination after a wet ride.

I got caught in the rain with my KS-14C today. Fortunately I had just bought a new helmet with a magnetic visor that helped keep the rain off my glasses:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IF0YOTO/

I got a little bit wet but had to ride because my wife was on the other side of town and I had her car keys. So I was probably going faster than I should have so that she wouldn't be impatiently waiting at the car. I actually thought the wheel did a great job in the rain except that the pedals were a little slippery. I'd really like to texture the top of those pedals with sandblasting. I hit a few bumps and my feet slid around but I didn't lose control fortunately. 

As far as the danger of damaging the wheel by riding in the rain, I think it can take a little bit of water. My Firewheel is much leakier and there was mud caked everywhere including some in the control board compartment but it never failed due to water or mud infiltration.

I've ridden my IPS T260 in the rain several times without any problem owning to the compartments(for batteries and board) are well sealed and there is a metal case housing the board.

I've also ridden my Msuper V2 in the rain  several times without any problem owning to the compartments are well sealed and the compartments are high up ground.

Although I've ridden my Msuper V3 in the rain once or twice(and with no problem), but I'm not quite happy with the water-proof ability because the mainboard is very low from the ground and there are gaps around the pedal hanger that easily let water goes in in case of wading.
P1110814s.jpg

Edit: The power switch IMO is the most fragile thing for water to invade. Cover it with tape or plastic bag if have to ride in the rain.

You would think they should have designed the battery packs more rectangular and have them sit at the bottom of the case to help keep the centre of gravity down low.  When you look at the Rockwheel GT16 they have a smartly arranged battery system with the control board horizontally mounted on top with direct air flow through the cooling fins.  They could have taken it one step further with a top mount heatsink and the control board mounted face down since heat rises.

Rockwheel could have designed a top side waterproof box onto which the control board with heatsink is screwed onto acting like a lid with a rubber seal.  The heat sink fins that could be exposed to open air and air channeled through from the front.  Seal the battery packs and use waterproof connectors, and there's no reason to fear riding in the rain.

With the Gotway they could enclose the control board inside an aluminum case like what IPS does but make it water tight with waterproof locking connnectors on the outside.  As long as the battery packs are well sealed it wouldn't matter much if water did get into the case as the critial components would be shielded.

Have ridden literally hundreds of miles in rain and standing water on KS14-C, Inmotion V8, IPS Zero and MSuper V3S+. Zero operational issues with any of them, or falls/slips due to wet surfaces or puddles. 

On 7/14/2017 at 11:06 AM, LanghamP said:

To me it feels scary as hell.

Thoughts? Opinions? Tips?

I ride the following in the rain with no problems: IPS 121, 191 (Lhotz), Gotway MSuper V2. I ride slower and extra carefully. The tire has never slipped and the wheel has never experienced any malfunction from rain exposure (including some very severe downpours).

On 7/14/2017 at 2:33 PM, LanghamP said:

Even stepping on the EUC with wet shoes there is a slide on the pads.

I have often worried about this, but to my surprise, I've never had any trouble with my wet shoes slipping on the wet pedals.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:41 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

Out of habit I dry the Ninebot standing upright for about 30 minutes rather than resting it on its side after a wet trek. You might consider not recharging the battery for the same time period.

Yes, I always let the wheel dry out after a rain ride, and usually I don't connect the charger until 24 hours later because I worry about connecting electricity to a wet wheel.

"Given the choice between riding in moderate to heavy rain or staying inside till it stops........I stay indoors. Wet clothing feels and looks terrible at your destination after a wet ride."

Ha, if I am just riding around for fun, I usually don't let rain cancel my plans. I just get wet! Exceptions: thunderstorms, super severe rain, gusting winds. As you mentioned, it's different of course if you are going to a destination. However, one time I rode to the grocery store in heavy rain. I am sure others in the store wondered what I was doing that led to me entering the store in totally soaked clothes!

49 minutes ago, who_the said:

Have ridden literally hundreds of miles in rain and standing water on KS14-C, Inmotion V8, IPS Zero and MSuper V3S+. Zero operational issues with any of them, or falls/slips due to wet surfaces or puddles. 

56 Mile Ride Folsom to Sacramento Round Trip

Awesome! I've never ridden through water that severe. The MSupers handled it great!

On 7/15/2017 at 2:10 AM, zlymex said:

Although I've ridden my Msuper V3 in the rain once or twice(and with no problem), but I'm not quite happy with the water-proof ability because the mainboard is very low from the ground and there are gaps around the pedal hanger that easily let water goes in in case of wading.
P1110814s.jpg

3M makes a black strip caulk that would work perfectly around this area to prevent water infiltration.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PEZ1L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qh1AzbJ5C49N958JROcd.jpg

On 7/14/2017 at 2:33 PM, LanghamP said:

I've got a KS14c, V5F+, GW 3s.

I'm more concerned with slipping. The 90 degree sidewalk turn, especially if there's repair that, I find I do slide a bit. What does not seem a big deal in the dry, seems a very big concern in the wet. Even stepping on the EUC with wet shoes there is a slide on the pads.

Got some of this for my 14C since there is not really anything on the pedals to prevent slippage.  It should be here tomorrow I'll let you guys know how it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Jessup-Skateboard-Griptape-Sheet-worldwide/dp/B0039ZN00K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500254806&sr=8-2&keywords=skateboard+tape

Side note, I steer clear of any and all rain if possible.  Have been caught in a couple of storms and still continued on without issue.  I will not intentionally take my wheels through rain/water.  Just my own personal preference.......................... 

Tape.jpg

On 14.7.2017 at 5:06 PM, LanghamP said:

How dangerous is it to ride an EUC in the rain?

Absolutely deadly dangerous.

First you catch a cold, this develops into a pneumonia, this develops into a abscess-forming double pneumonia, and this develops to death.

Except of course if you live in Scotland, then you are used to that.

On 7/16/2017 at 10:48 AM, who_the said:

Wow! Is there any V8 among the wheels in this video?

Archived