Plastics experts here ?

Jimi00

Do you have an idea of the type of plastic used for the Gotway mSuper3 shells ?

Due to the twisting of my pedal supports (which I will change), the two inner shells cracked. The idea is to attempt a gluing before moving on to the most costly (but effective) solution: replacing them.

My idea: use epoxy adhesive, lined with silicone seals.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

The shell is usually made from ABS. Once cracked, it's hard to get it back together strong enough. Epoxy does not bond well to ABS. My own research came to the conclusion that 2k acrylate glue is best suit and can act as a primer for epoxy. However, I'd try to use some fiberglass weave to stabilize the crack as well.

Potenzmittel Test - Welches Mittel ist das beste? |  Potenzmittel Test http://www.potwelt.info/

3 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

The shell is usually made from ABS. Once cracked, it's hard to get it back together strong enough. Epoxy does not bond well to ABS. My own research came to the conclusion that 2k acrylate glue is best suit and can act as a primer for epoxy. However, I'd try to use some fiberglass weave to stabilize the crack as well.

Thank you for reply. 
The idea is not to get back the shell as solid as it was originally, but to avoid water infiltrations because the motherboard is very close from these cracks.

1 hour ago, Slaughthammer said:

If you don't need much strength you can just dissolve some ABS in acetone and use that as glue... 

And of course a perfect source of small blocks of ABS you can dissolve in acetone ( cellulose thinners or nail varnish remover) is Lego bricks or equivalent.

i would still also glue a thin sheet of ABS (or any plastic that acetone dissolves the surface of) over the crack on the inside, that would not only hold it together but ensure the crack is waterproofed as well.

Well, that's basically a cyanoacrylate adhesive, commonly known as superglue with a filler powder that has some activating chemicals in it. Might work, didn't try superglue on ABS so far. But didn't read any recommendations to use this stuff either.

18 hours ago, Jimi00 said:

Do you have an idea of the type of plastic used for the Gotway mSuper3 shells ?

Due to the twisting of my pedal supports (which I will change), the two inner shells cracked. The idea is to attempt a gluing before moving on to the most costly (but effective) solution: replacing them.

My idea: use epoxy adhesive, lined with silicone seals.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Melted abs with solvent or heat is the only solution.  You can look up howbtheyvrepair cracked outomobile bumpers. They use a special hot iron and melt additional material with the iron into the crack. Also for high stress cracked areas they melt a special shape metal staple and add melted plastic with iron. 

59092b895d839_s-l500(1).jpg.247be82cbea157717fb1cbb0c7861365.jpg59092b88e6f2b_s-l500(2).jpg.3bad704f6f74c166a5dc48f386e5d5ef.jpg

Archived