Are you an offroad freak?

Spark

up until recently I was comparing voltage, motor power and top speed,
dreaming about my next wheel. Then I got to ride a MSuper v2 on offroad trails 
and I knew my next wheel needs to be the monster... or bigger!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdPwRxrwh0w

yes there was a difference switching fom V5F to KS16, but that was nothing compared to the 18.9" 
and 2.5 inch wide tire. You can follow paths you wouldn't dare to on a smaller wheel.
Also, I get more enjoyment driving offroad then driving on paved streets, which feels kinda boring.

upps, this should be moved to general , tx :whistling:

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That guy has a cool custom frame perfect for off-roading.

AllDayWheel could definitely sell the MAX once it's perfected. His suspension idea is especially interesting. I think the offroading segment of the EUC market is where most of the growth is going to be happening, and the source of most new EUC developments.

I always marvel at EUC Extreme's skill at riding in snow. I'm thinking back to how my wheel slipped several times on ice and totally bogged down in snow last winter! Fortunately here in the mild SC winter I only lost 3 riding days because of snow.

@Hunka, MaxLinux

wow, once snow conditions are good I'll definitely try this out! B)
btw, these DIY protective hand gloves seem like a great idea.
I did not think of this yet, makes perfect sense.

My next investment will be a new cross tire for my KS16 and a little
shell modification to fit it. 
I hope a second hand monster comes along soon. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that looks like a cross between the Iditarod sled race and the speeder bike scene from Return of the Jedi :o

That and the Max video are definitely very cool.

Just regarding to some of his skid-n-fall moments  --  you know how people put chains on their tires for better snow traction? Is that potentially possible to improve performance in this case?

Or what about vendors even offering special off-road tires or snow tires? Snow tires can even have tire studs for added traction:

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/snow-tires-studded-tires-vs-studless-tires

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@zlymex and his fellow riders put on chains when riding.  @EUC Extreme adds studs to his tires for better traction, but sometimes he removes them to give him an added challenge.  :blink:

Haha - just as long as he doesn't remove the body armor :P

Is he using football shoulder pads, or hockey gear, or a mash-up?

Yes yes and yes.  :lol:  EUC Extreme crashed into a tree once and broke his collarbone.  There were some pretty graphic photos of the metal plate and screws they used to fix it.  I'm not sure if he upped his protective gear after or whether it just wasn't enough at the time or both.  Let me try to find the photos... you never know - he might reply as he sometimes visits when his name is mentioned.

EDIT:  Found the link to the link.

Hmm, if you had a laser range-finder on the thing, then correlating that with the gyroscope data might allow for control software to apply the brakes before you crash into a major obstacle head-on at full speed. 

EUCs are self-balancing, which means there is no such thing as "applying the brakes" as that would end the self-balancing part which means you crash (you still lean forward, but the wheel does no longer follow you to keep you from falling on your face). You can always only "entice" the rider to shift the weight back (pedal tiltback), but not brake against the rider's behavior.

I guess you could have an emergency tiltback triggered by the range finder. That would give you a lot of false positives though, and after one of them you'd deactivate the function really fast;)

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

EUCs are self-balancing, which means there is no such thing as "applying the brakes" as that would end the self-balancing part which means you crash (you still lean forward, but the wheel does no longer follow you to keep you from falling on your face). You can always only "entice" the rider to shift the weight back (pedal tiltback), but not brake against the rider's behavior.

I guess you could have an emergency tiltback triggered by the range finder. That would give you a lot of false positives though, and after one of them you'd deactivate the function really fast;)

Well, better to hit a tree feet-first than to hit it with your collarbone.:unsure:

Oh, and has anyone heard of how Pine Sap is really good to avoid slipping on ice? Somebody actually makes a spray that's derived from it, to improve car tire traction on ice:

https://www.amazon.com/Tyre-Grip-Spray-enhance-tire-traction/dp/B00308ZIOM

32 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Found the link to the link.

How did you find the link link so fast, by going through your activity stream in your profile, or using google, site:electricunicycleforum:whatever post you need?

8 hours ago, steve454 said:

How did you find the link link so fast, by going through your activity stream in your profile, or using google, site:electricunicycleforum:whatever post you need?

I have all posts indexed in my mind, Steven.  :smartass:  No, :lol: actually I just went to the main page and searched for "collar bone" which came up with the thread pretty quickly.

13 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:
1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I have all posts indexed in my mind,

Ha Ha, I forgot to ask if you went into your mindpalace.

15 hours ago, sanman said:

Well, better to hit a tree feet-first than to hit it with your collarbone.:unsure:

Oh, and has anyone heard of how Pine Sap is really good to avoid slipping on ice? Somebody actually makes a spray that's derived from it, to improve car tire traction on ice:

https://www.amazon.com/Tyre-Grip-Spray-enhance-tire-traction/dp/B00308ZIOM

Interesting, but pine sap is unbelievably sticky.  I can't picture not carrying half the road's dirt and twigs and pebbles with you if you exposed that substance to the road.

Yes I'm off-road freak :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/taskulamppufriikki?feature=mhum

13890416.t.jpg

13907991.t.jpg

13907990.t.jpg

The video is old but it shows my shield.
Sure, I have updated some of the better thereafter.
When I broke my bone. Then I did not have a decent shoulder protector.

Recently, there has not been a video since my EUC is so slow. I do not care to make a new video, before I get EUC which I have already waited a long time :):)

29 minutes ago, EUC Extreme said:

Recently, there has not been a video since my EUC is so slow. I do not care to make a new video, before I get EUC which I have already waited a long time :):)

Which EUC are you waiting for? Is it a custom model made for you?
What are the specs?

I go off-roading on my V5F all the time, and is my preferred wheel for that but it is not the type of high speed method that EUC Extreme does. V5F lends itself well to very slow trials type riding where one tries to solve paths and a fall has minor consequences. One does fall a lot but it does not require any bravery to do well, or for that matter at all.

I would think riders who can do high speed offroading can do trials, but the opposite is probably not true.

Archived