G-Form Protective Body Armor. Opinions from those in the know please.

10 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I have the full G Form loadout. Elbows, knees, shirt, board and ski shorts. As part of my ordering I ended up with multiple sizes of most of these items as I want sure how sizing would go. This meant I ended up with XS Pro X Elbow Pads and S Elite Elbow Pads (no XS size in the Elite range). This allowed me to compare the two versions. The Pro X range was a little more comfortable but we're considerably thinner and did not offer the same level of coverage around the sides of the joint. This is backed up by the fact that the Elite range is certified for Motorcycle use to a European standard. The Pro X range is rated for indoor sport use by a standard. Big difference in protection levels. For me choosing the Elite options for knee and elbow were a no brainer. I mention all this as you talk of the knee/shin combo. This is not available in the Elite range so I think you are looking at the Pro X pads. I would forgo the shin protection and go with the Elites. They cover a lot of the upper shin anyway.

If ordering direct from G Form be sure to sign up for their newsletter before you order. I got a 10% of coupon right away.

If I was wealthy I would hire you to do my research for me.  I'm taking your guidance and skipping the Pro X knee/shin combo pads.  I still need to see if I can find the Elite range elbow pads in Canada. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

If I was wealthy I would hire you to do my research for me.  I'm taking your guidance and skipping the Pro X knee/shin combo pads.  I still need to see if I can find the Elite range elbow pads in Canada. 

I research everything to death. If you or other here benefit from it then that makes it even more worth it. The G-Form website has a global store locator that could point you to a local stockist or internet retailer. I also believe that G-Form will ship across the border but speak to customer service first. They have been really helpful when I spoke to them. A promo code from the newsletter could offset the additional postage. Also ask about returns. I over ordered on sizes because they had no fee returns. Not sure how that works cross-border but I just had to ship what I didn't want back to them. That allowed me to assess multiple sizes and compare the Pro-X/Elite ranges.

The Elite Knee pads a supremely comfortable. You won't be dissapointed.

I'm the same when it comes to research.  I've enjoyed the process of researching and learning about EUCs (and discussing them!) as much as I'll enjoy finally un-boxing my wheel. 

I'm glad you took the opportunity to compare the elite/pro-x range against each other.  I suspect I'd appreciate the adhesive part being both upper and lower (elite) as opposed to just upper on the pro-x.  Hard to rationalize saving money on protective gear. 

6 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I suspect I'd appreciate the adhesive part being both upper and lower (elite) as opposed to just upper on the pro-x.

Yes this is my second complaint and well done for raising it. The Pro-X pads should have that top and bottom silicon grip tape. Not just up the top. How much does it cost to add that yet it must increase the ability of the pad to remain in place during an impact considerably. It does grip really well.

On 9/21/2017 at 12:45 AM, WARPed1701D said:

I have the full G Form loadout. Elbows, knees, shirt, board and ski shorts. As part of my ordering I ended up with multiple sizes of most of these items as I want sure how sizing would go. This meant I ended up with XS Pro X Elbow Pads and S Elite Elbow Pads (no XS size in the Elite range). This allowed me to compare the two versions. The Pro X range was a little more comfortable but we're considerably thinner and did not offer the same level of coverage around the sides of the joint. This is backed up by the fact that the Elite range is certified for Motorcycle use to a European standard. The Pro X range is rated for indoor sport use by a standard. Big difference in protection levels. For me choosing the Elite options for knee and elbow were a no brainer. I mention all this as you talk of the knee/shin combo. This is not available in the Elite range so I think you are looking at the Pro X pads. I would forgo the shin protection and go with the Elites. They cover a lot of the upper shin anyway.

If ordering direct from G Form be sure to sign up for their newsletter before you order. I got a 10% of coupon right away.

I've been scouring over amazon reviews trying to get a better feel for sizing.  There's always one review that completely throws a wrench in your size assumptions; some guy said he's 5'8" 140lbs. and claimed he needed the XL in knee pads.  I think I'm going to go with a large in both elbow and knee pads, but unfortunately they're going to be pro-x and not elite.  What's curious, though, is that I've read a couple of mentions that the pro-x knee/shin guard combo is much more robust than just the knee protection.  I was resolved to get just the knee pad because I am trying to be as minimalist as possible, but am reconsidering. 

Could get the elbow and knee pads for $100 shipped, which is about as much as I would pay before going to a significantly cheaper option.  

I fully understand the financial constraints. This gear isn't cheap. I also ordered the standard (relatively cheap) ProTec plastic knee and elbow pads to compare against the G-Form gear. I had them on for all of about 30 seconds before knowing G-Form was much more comfortable and aligned better with my desired goals (under clothes, discrete).

I'll try to find my measurements. I'm tall and thin and that makes sizing anything dIifficult. I know with the elbows the above joint measurement suggested XS and the below joint measurement suggested S. The XS Pro-X pads were a little tight in the forearm but it was a close decison. I settled on the S Elites. I think I would have picked S in the Pro X range too but they are more flexible so could have been too loose . For the knees one of the measurements (thigh I think) suggested Medium and one suggested small. The mediums were obviously too big in the end and I kept the smalls.

Roughly 12mm deep on both the elbow and knee pad. Here is an image of the elbow. It is Thick! The Elite pads also have an extra "ring" of protective material around the edge (sides and bottom) extending protection around the joint. This meant coverage over the knobbly bones each side of the joint whereas the pro-x coverage stopped just short of protecting that bone structure fully. I think the Pro-X pads are still very good, but the Elite pads are worthy of the name.

DSC_0032.JPG

5 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I fully understand the financial constraints. This gear isn't cheap. I also ordered the standard (relatively cheap) ProTec plastic knee and elbow pads to compare against the G-Form gear. I had them on for all of about 30 seconds before knowing G-Form was much more comfortable and aligned better with my desired goals (under clothes, discrete).

I'll try to find my measurements. I'm tall and thin and that makes sizing anything dIifficult. I know with the elbows the above joint measurement suggested XS and the below joint measurement suggested S. The XS Pro-X pads were a little tight in the forearm but it was a close decison. I settled on the S Elites. I think I would have picked S in the Pro X range too but they are more flexible so could have been too loose . For the knees one of the measurements (thigh I think) suggested Medium and one suggested small. The mediums were obviously too big in the end and I kept the smalls.

The anecdotal observation about comparing the g-form stuff to Protec and learning right away that the g-form is your preference is extremely helpful.  I have no doubt my response would be the same.

Going to try to get a better idea of what size I will get tonight.  I lazily hoped I could do it just by reading reviews, but since returns aren't practical for me I'm going to get a tape measure and get more precise. 

Gimlet, thanks for confirming that bit of information about the knee/shin guard having thicker protection. 

7 hours ago, Gimlet said:

So how thick is the padding on the Elite knee pads?

Like I said before the pro x ones I have are about 6.5->7mm whereas the combined shin and knee pads are a bit thicker  9.5->10mm thick.

To make things as confusing as possible, I'm reading that there are two versions of the Pro-X shin/knee pad and that only one of them has the extra thick padding.  I think I need to look for the one that is named "guard" instead of "combo" but it's ambiguous.  

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

To make things as confusing as possible, I'm reading that there are two versions of the Pro-X shin/knee pad and that only one of them has the extra thick padding.  I think I need to look for the one that is named "guard" instead of "combo" but it's ambiguous.  

I recall noting that when looking and agree that the "guard" appears to have the thicker pad.

When I go by g-form's measurements, I'm a size medium.  A lot of reviews will tell you to size up.  I'm 6'0" 185lbs. and tend to be a large in most clothing.  When I asked the seller about my size dilemma, he tells me I need XL.  I am in Canada and returning something like this across the border isn't very practical.  Frustrating.  :rolleyes:

Talking about the pro-x elbow and knee pads.  Was considering the elite knee pads or the knee/shin combo, but want the smaller knee-only and I want to see if I like the pro-x before upgrading.

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

So both the upper and lower joint measurements suggest medium? Are you in the middle of the medium size range or close to the next size up /down?

Yes, I get a medium across the board on both knee and elbow, using the bicep/forearm and quad/calf measurement.  I would say I'm more solidly medium, as opposed to being on the fringes of a large.  Case closed, right?  That's what my initial thought, at least.  I don't see too much reason to think there should be a big margin for error in doing the measurements, although they can be a little subjective in terms of forearm/quad placement.   

Honestly if you are right in the medium window I would go with the mediums; especially with the more flexible pro x range. These things are compression fit. They are meant to be snug (although not uncomfortable). That compression fit is what keeps them in place after all. Too lose and they will be useless.

I'm 6'1" 155 lb. Fairly spindly in the arms. The smalls are a good fit for me in the elbow. As a cyclist my legs are bigger (not huge though) and I went with the mediums. I couldn't find my measurements but I'll take them again in a while and post them for you to compare.

6 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Honestly if you are right in the medium window I would go with the mediums; especially with the more flexible pro x range. These things are compression fit. They are meant to be snug (although not uncomfortable). That compression fit is what keeps them in place after all. Too lose and they will be useless.

I take some comfort that your experience seems to suggest that they fit true-to-size.  I'm re-doing the measurements just to check my margin of error.  I've got the seller of these things, the person who presumably would be in the best position to know, telling me to get an XL.  Don't think I'm going to feel fully confident no matter what size I choose.  

Running into a margin-of-error problem with measuring my forearm.  They say measure between 5 and 6 inches down from the elbow, but I get a half inch difference depending on which of those I use.  I have skinny calves and forearms, which I think complicates things a bit.  

I purchased the Pro X knee and elbow pads as well as Pro G compression shorts and the compression shirt. Luckily Amazon has an amazing return policy because my measurements put me very close to the gap between two sizes. I ordered S, XS, S, S respectively and the shorts fit perfectly but I couldn't even manage to put the other gear on, it was that small. So I ordered one size up for everything except the shorts and they still feel so snug that it's borderline uncomfortable. I'm currently debating ordering another set with one more increase in size and testing it out.

So in my opinion you should definitely go for one size up from whatever the measurements say.

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

When I go by g-form's measurements, I'm a size medium.  A lot of reviews will tell you to size up.  I'm 6'0" 185lbs. and tend to be a large in most clothing.  When I asked the seller about my size dilemma, he tells me I need XL.  I am in Canada and returning something like this across the border isn't very practical.  Frustrating.  :rolleyes:

Talking about the pro-x elbow and knee pads.  Was considering the elite knee pads or the knee/shin combo, but want the smaller knee-only and I want to see if I like the pro-x before upgrading.

I am 150lbs and 5'8.5".

I got everything in medium. The shirt is pretty tight but it does not bother me. Pants and elbow protectors ok, knee protectors I had to send back and order L because they are too narrow for my upper legs.

I don't think that at 185lbs a medium shirt will fit you. It will be way too small.

My measurements using tape positioning as dictated by the G-Form website (and yes I need to work out my upper body):

6'1" Tall
155 lb

Elbow:
Bicep: 10 1/4" - Suggested GForm Elbow Pad Size = Extra Small
Forearm: 8" - Suggested GForm Elbow Pad Size = Small
Sizes Ordered: Extra Small Pro-X (no XS in Elite range) and Small Elite
Chosen size: Small Elite
Comments: The XS Pro-X actually were not too bad, maybe just feeling marginally tighter than the Small Elite pads. I believe the Pro-X was more flexible and this reduced the feeling of tightness when bending the elbow. I chose the S Elites as they fit well and offered the increased level of protection I wanted.

Knee:
Thigh: 18 1/4" - Suggested GForm Knee Pad Size = Large
Calf: 14" - Suggested GForm Knee Pad Size = Small / Medium Boundary
Sizes Ordered: Small Elite, Medium Elite, Large Elite
Chosen Size: Medium Elite
Comments: Being on the boundary of small/medium in the calf I found the small elite pads to be too tight especially when flexing the knee. This makes sense given my thigh is a Large! The medium elite pads felt good. For completeness I put in a second order for the large pads to check them out given the suggestion from my thigh measurements and they were way too big in the thigh. Mediums Elite is a perfect fit I feel. Not too tight or lose. Golidlocks!

Other comments:
Many of the reviews you read are from people performing athletic sports in this gear. Mountain biking for example. In that sport you flex the join a lot. The G-Form gear (especially the Elite range) does get tighter as you flex the joint despite being spandex. As such I feel people in these sports size the gear for comfort when their joints are 45 to 90 degree flexed rather then straight where the gear is marginally looser. We, as EUC riders, have our joints straight (or very slight bend) 99% of the time. This is why I feel we go against the grain for people saying to size up. We want best fit/comfort for a straight or slightly bent joint vs a mountain biker who wants comfort with bent joints. Just my 2c on why people suggest sizing as they do.

For me I forget I'm wearing the gear while riding in my normal stance of slight knee bend, straight arms. The knee pads remain supremely comfortable even if I sit at work (knees bent in a chair) for an hour or two after arriving and don't get chance to remove them. The elbow pads do get a little tight if I bend my elbow beyond 90 degrees. It is not uncomfortable but it is tight, but...I rarely have my elbow in that position so I am fine with that. The Pro-X pads will not get as tight when bending because they are thinner. At least that was my observation from the elbow pads I ordered.

I hope this helps.

Archived