When walking with the V8 does it charge the battery?

Roll_On

When I walk with the V8 with power button on, does my energy of moving the wheel charge the battery?  If the power is off, and I am dragging the unit does it charge the battery?

When I am riding down hill and not really braking, does gravity moving the wheel charge the battery?

My guess:

If it's off, it must be charged from moving the tire. Not much, but the induced electricity must go somewhere.

If it's on, it depends whether power needed for balancing minus charged power is net positive or negative. From experience it seems going downhill slowly (braking a lot) does not charge much, while going downhill fast (essentially rolling down without acceleration or braking) charges quite a lot.

So no (walking it on flat ground is like riding with a very light rider, it's not free), yes, definitely yes:P

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

My guess:

If it's off, it must be charged from moving the tire. Not much, but the induced electricity must go somewhere.

If it's on, it depends whether power needed for balancing minus charged power is net positive or negative. From experience it seems going downhill slowly (braking a lot) does not charge much, while going downhill fast (essentially rolling down without acceleration or braking) charges quite a lot.

So no (walking it on flat ground is like riding with a very light rider, it's not free), yes, definitely yes:P

I would concur with all of this. But then again I'm still learning about it all. I went to sleep last night with my phone on my chest reading the Wikipedia page about regenerative braking. :smartass::sleep1:

I'm not expert...but i noticed that something weird could happen to battery and charge. I mean...sometime i monitor the battery drain (with App during races) and i do notice that charge can change showing sometimes a raised power than before.

Ii ascribed that to a not-known error in App...but as I'm reading here, i'm in error.

I did not know that V8 can recharge its own battery. How may we get more specific information about this feature?

On 9.7.2017 at 8:16 PM, Roll_On said:

When I walk with the V8 with power button on, does my energy of moving the wheel charge the battery?

If you just let it drive beside you it will use energy. If you get it in "braking mode" and push it forward (so a real workout - you put energy into the system) it could engange regenerative braking and charge the battery. but at low speeds the back emf is low too and it could be that the voltage converter (step up dc/dc converter) cannot provide enough voltage to charge the battery and the firmware switches to "power consumption" braking...

You'd have to log the wheel data and see whats happening (if you want and can manage the workout...)

If the power is off, and I am dragging the unit does it charge the battery?

Only if you drag the wheel fast enough that the motor generates a higher voltage than the battery + 2 times the forward voltage of the mosfet body diodes (the only way to get the circuit "connected" and charge the battery) - so you would have to reach a speed a above the lift cut-off speed, which is quite unlikely... ;(

When I am riding down hill and not really braking, does gravity moving the wheel charge the battery?

If you are not braking you are accelerating going downhill ( maybe at some soft hill the friction and airdrag just compensate the downward (gravity) force...).

So "normally" if one stays downhill at the same speed there is braking involved. Whetger this braking is regenerative or power consuming depends on the firmware and you could check this for different cases (speeds, decline, ...) with logging and analyzing the data.

Edit: So i would guess no, no, sometimes ;)

Archived