Replacing the Inner Shells - Bolt Problem

Jonathan Tolhurst

I have been replacing my NB1E+ gen2 inner shells. I have completed this procedure several times before but this time I am having some issues with the last 2 of 8 screw bolts which attach the (control board side) shell to the metal frame. I can't seem to get them to make contact with the thread in their holes. Everything looks completely flush and I have tried several different strategies for attaching and aligning the shell. The threads and holes are good because the bolts will tighten in the holes in the absence of the shell. I'm thinking that perhaps the metal frame might be just slightly bent out of shape at the affected end? The screws just seem to be perhaps a millimeter a way from making contact with the thread on the holes. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions I could try to get these two remaining screws to tighten?

7 hours ago, Jonathan Tolhurst said:

I have been replacing my NB1E+ gen2 inner shells. I have completed this procedure several times before but this time I am having some issues with the last 2 of 8 screw bolts which attach the (control board side) shell to the metal frame. I can't seem to get them to make contact with the thread in their holes. Everything looks completely flush and I have tried several different strategies for attaching and aligning the shell. The threads and holes are good because the bolts will tighten in the holes in the absence of the shell. I'm thinking that perhaps the metal frame might be just slightly bent out of shape at the affected end? The screws just seem to be perhaps a millimeter a way from making contact with the thread on the holes. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions I could try to get these two remaining screws to tighten?

I don't know what exactly you tried already, but my first attempt would be to loosen all other screws as far as possible, but such that they still stay in place (a few turns screwed in). Then I would try to increase the distance between the shell and the metal frame (lift it up), stick the problematic screw through the shell and try to move the shell into a position where the screw is centered. If that fails, for example because the holes are really tight and the screws, once in the holes, don't tilt even half a millimeter to the side, I would enlarge the holes for the screws (in the shell) a little bit, maybe using a small round file (?), or a drill. I would adjust all holes just a little instead of one or two holes a lot. Your new shell might just be off a little and needs some rework to line up with the frame.

I had my E+ apart many times.  Every once in a while, the shell would catch on one side a little.  If I loosened all the screws and refit, it would normally snap in place correctly.  Sometimes I had to finagle it into place.  I never searched around the back of it to find what part was catching, but it did happen every other time or so that I tried to put them back on.  They always ended up fitting correctly though.  The tolerances were pretty close as it's a very well built wheel.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived