Statement in favor of gotway for a change

Luiz

Hi . I know i am rowing against the tide here but there we go.

First of all i want to express my respect and solidarity for the anger and frustration of people injured by defective gotway wheels . As a forum member and euc enthusiast  i am grateful for their concern raising reports. I wish you all a quick recovery.

This is not an endorsement of gotway products it is just a honest statement of my experience with this brand till this moment.

Gotway had so many bad reports lately ( rightfully so as this kind of recurrent incidents show an unaceptable failure of basic QC ) . On the other hand i believe it is only fair that we report our good experiences aswell.

I have had a msuper V2 680 in the last 2 years purchased from yorkshire airwheels and have done more than 2000 km on it in all kinds of terrain including lots of offroading without any failures at all . During this time i had some unexpected potholes and the wheel more than once saved me from my mistakes and attention lacking .  Also , honestly , i never found a hill that this wheel could not climb. 

Recently i bought a msuper V3 820 and acm V2 820 ,  again from yorkshire aireheels.

Yesterday i was ridind the msuper V3 looking at my phone to check speed and temperature ( as i am a bit scared of this wheel ) when i stumbled badly on an unseen pothole and lost my balance completely . I was already leaning pretty hard and i felt my body falling forwards even further . I thought , this is it , i am having my first hard faceplant on my brand new wheel , but for my surprise the wheel cought up with me from what i thought was an unrecoverable forward fall and enbarrasing  face plant .

I must say that i am impressed !

I love the gotway aproach to design and  R&D . I still think they are tlhe DJI of eucs as both are pushing the boundaries of the technology and prone to failures consequently . Maybe it is a goog idea  that gotway implements with their official distributors an immediate replacement insurace like DJI as this would give costomers some reassurance and allow them to track and correct the causes of failure more promptly .

Despite the evident failures in manufacturing quality reported , i must say that the finishing in both of my new wheels is impecable . 

All and all , till the moment i am writing this (touch wood) i am a very happy costomer. Maybe i have been lucky with my purchases but so far my gotway wheels have surpassed all my expectations.

I do try to ride sensibly and respect the alarms .

I am a 95 kilos rider

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, even the Gotway wheels are still quite safe. Though be aware, the msuper V2 has a better reputation regarding any failures or defects than the newer 1500W wheels (V3, ACM). So enjoy your wheels, and as with any wheels, wear protection:)

Yes i am awere of that .

It will take some time for me to feel confident with the new wheels and i intend to be as cautious as i can ( easier said than done as this wheels are temptingly fast ) . I have to admit that i became so confident with the msuper V2 that i had to constatly remind myself  the dangers of complacency.

Still very early days with the new wheels but so far so good.

I do use protective gear . ( 70%  of the time):rolleyes:

I have an MSuper V3s that is starting to grow on me. It's large, fast, comfortable, about as handy as a Nimitz-class carrier, and easily feels like the safest of all my wheels.

If I need to get somewhere fast and safe, and don't particular care about enjoying the ride there, then the MSuper is what I grab.

That probably doesn't sound like a compliment though.

Yes ,  this wheel is so powerful,  confortable and stable that is easy to forget the fact we are standind completely exposed in a 1 wheel eletronicaly stabilized mobile platform at 25 km per hour. Prety scary if you think about that :unsure:

The awesome feel of the msuper was familiar to me since i came from the msuper V2  but the acm is surprisingly growing fast on me . To be honest the  msuper feels too big after riding the acm . I also love acm's lighter weight and agressive aceleration . Actualy i suspect it is faster than the msuper V3 aswell.

51 minutes ago, Luiz said:

Yes ,  this wheel is so powerful,  confortable and stable that is easy to forget the fact we are standind completely exposed in a 1 wheel eletronicaly stabilized mobile platform at 25 km per hour. Prety scary if you think about that :unsure:

Oh I'm pretty sure people see how exposed we are seeing as I had to bail from my MSuper (again) when a pickup truck ran into the pedestrian crosswalk and knocked me off my EUC. Simply didn't see me as he had to look entirely beyond him in order to merge into traffic. I hate those dogleg intersections.

Caught the wheel on the way down. :) I'm getting used to being knocked off in pedestrian intersections.

Just now, LanghamP said:

Oh I'm pretty sure people see how exposed we are seeing as today I had to bail from my MSuper (again) when a pickup truck ran into the pedestrian crosswalk and knocked me off my EUC. Simply didn't see me as he had to look entirely beyond him in order to merge into traffic. I hate those dogleg intersections.

Caught the wheel on the way down. :) I'm getting used to being knocked off in pedestrian intersections.

Just compared the alarms on a static test.

Msuper V3 first alarm 26 km/h single beep

Acm first alarm 30 km/h but it is a double beep

The msuper shuts down at 55 km/h

The acm shuts down at 52 km/k

I opened the alarms in both wheels

5 minutes ago, Luiz said:

Just compared the alarms on a static test.

Msuper V3 first alarm 26 km/h single beep

Acm first alarm 30 km/h but it is a double beep

The msuper shuts down at 55 km/h

The acm shuts down at 52 km/k

I opened the alarms in both wheels

In such statement it would be good to note that this values are 67volt Versions :-)

I know....you can get that from first post, but in the end somebody will ask nonetheless....

Yes, I agree too. My MS3 has brought me nothing but joy for every one of the 600+ hours I have on it so far. Still haven't fallen off it yet. I appreciate that I may be one of the lucky ones, and my full condolences to anyone who's Gotways have failed them, but when they do work, they are full of win, and I love 'em for that.

CBR

It is like dating a hot professional ultimate fighter girl .

You know it is likely you will get hurt prety bad one day but it totaly worth it .   :D

Sorry for this terrible comparison . I am watching a wimbledon female tenis match with two gorgeous blondes and i reckon i got carried away.:unsure:

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Oh I'm pretty sure people see how exposed we are seeing as I had to bail from my MSuper (again) when a pickup truck ran into the pedestrian crosswalk and knocked me off my EUC. Simply didn't see me as he had to look entirely beyond him in order to merge into traffic. I hate those dogleg intersections.

Ouch.  You didn't mention injury so I presume you are okay? Hope so!

What kind of exchange followed between you and the driver?

9 hours ago, Luiz said:

Maybe it is a goog idea  that gotway implements with their official distributors an immediate replacement insurace like DJI as this would give costomers some reassurance and allow them to track and correct the causes of failure more promptly .

I would be willing to pay a premium for anything that contributes to safety.  I would like it if such things would be an option.

One of the reasons I bought the latest most powerful version of the MSuper is that I believe that power in itself is partially a safety feature.  So I've already put my money where my mouth is, to the tune of paying almost twice what some high quality wheels cost.  So I'd be more than willing to put in a little more if I could see that extra was pointed in the direction of increased safety.

Decorative lights or speakers ... no.  I mean I'm not indiscriminate.  I'm seriously talking a safety premium, not simple insensitivity to price.

I agree with you and i would not mind to pay more for a 84 volts unit  just for the extra power redundancy and increased range ( although i am not very keen on the extra weight ) , but after all the problems reported i will wait a bit more to pull the triger on a 84 V.  I will only get one of those once there are no more reliability concerns.

In terms of performance I believe the 820 w 67 V are already insanely fast.

I have just arrived from a fast ride over bumpy road and some very irregular grass surface with the msuper and it performed like a dream.

4 minutes ago, Luiz said:

I agree with you and i would not mind to pay more for a 84 volts unit  just for the extra power redundancy and increased range ( although i am not very keen on the extra weight ) , but after all the problems reported i will wait a bit more to pull the triger on a 84 V.  I will only get one of those once there are no more reliability concerns.

In terms of performance I believe the 820 w 67 V are already insanely fast.

I have just arrived from a fast ride over bumpy road and some very irregular grass surface with the msuper and it performed like a dream.

That's cool.  I definitely understand your concerns and am in full sympathy with them.  

I am so concerned about the many steep hills where I live that I decided to take the risk and stick with my MSuper order.  But if I lived in a flatter area, I probably would have cancelled right away.  I am pushed toward risk because of my circumstance, and that's the only reason I took it.

If your wheel is the latest batch you should be fine as the latest ones have the correct firmware , new board and better connectors.

Acording to Grahan from yourkshire airwheels both my wheels came with new better connectors. The manufacturing date  was 05/2017 .

I hope they will be fine . I have been testing them prety hard this days with long rides and rough terrain and had no problems but still very soon to be sure. I am cautiously optmistic at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

Ouch.  You didn't mention injury so I presume you are okay? Hope so!

What kind of exchange followed between you and the driver?

He was braking hard looking over his left shoulder, knocked me off, stopped, then floored it. He never noticed me (and could not notice me since I kneeled to catch my EUC) and I was too busy dodging his towed trailer which was wide and gnarly looking. No big deal, I'm used to it. However what almost got me was the next car which blew through at high speed to make the light but since I was on foot that was pretty easy to dodge.

I've been through that intersection by car many times and it's really hard to notice pedestrians even though they're in plain view. That's six lanes of traffic, the doglegs are high speed to keep traffic moving, and there's never pedestrians not bicyclists in that area. It's all moderate-speed cars. It's like a cloverleaf where doglegs gets their own lanes.

9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I have an MSuper V3s that is starting to grow on me. It's large, fast, comfortable, about as handy as a Nimitz-class carrier, and easily feels like the safest of all my wheels.

If I need to get somewhere fast and safe, and don't particular care about enjoying the ride there, then the MSuper is what I grab.

That probably doesn't sound like a compliment though.

HOLD THE PRESSES ;) I'm almost shocked to see this from you, yea who got the MSuper for free (if I recall correctly) :D  I'm just pulling your chain, but I'm impressed that it's grown on you, and that makes me happy :cheers:

18 hours ago, Luiz said:

Hi . I know i am rowing against the tide here but there we go.

First of all i want to express my respect and solidarity for the anger and frustration of people injured by defective gotway wheels . As a forum member and euc enthusiast  i am grateful for their concern raising reports. I wish you all a quick recovery.

This is not an endorsement of gotway products it is just a honest statement of my experience with this brand till this moment.

Gotway had so many bad reports lately ( rightfully so as this kind of recurrent incidents show an unaceptable failure of basic QC ) . On the other hand i believe it is only fair that we report our good experiences aswell.

I have had a msuper V2 680 in the last 2 years purchased from yorkshire airwheels and have done more than 2000 km on it in all kinds of terrain including lots of offroading without any failures at all . During this time i had some unexpected potholes and the wheel more than once saved me from my mistakes and attention lacking .  Also , honestly , i never found a hill that this wheel could not climb. 

Recently i bought a msuper V3 820 and acm V2 820 ,  again from yorkshire aireheels.

Yesterday i was ridind the msuper V3 looking at my phone to check speed and temperature ( as i am a bit scared of this wheel ) when i stumbled badly on an unseen pothole and lost my balance completely . I was already leaning pretty hard and i felt my body falling forwards even further . I thought , this is it , i am having my first hard faceplant on my brand new wheel , but for my surprise the wheel cought up with me from what i thought was an unrecoverable forward fall and enbarrasing  face plant .

I must say that i am impressed !

I love the gotway aproach to design and  R&D . I still think they are tlhe DJI of eucs as both are pushing the boundaries of the technology and prone to failures consequently . Maybe it is a goog idea  that gotway implements with their official distributors an immediate replacement insurace like DJI as this would give costomers some reassurance and allow them to track and correct the causes of failure more promptly .

Despite the evident failures in manufacturing quality reported , i must say that the finishing in both of my new wheels is impecable . 

All and all , till the moment i am writing this (touch wood) i am a very happy costomer. Maybe i have been lucky with my purchases but so far my gotway wheels have surpassed all my expectations.

I do try to ride sensibly and respect the alarms .

I am a 95 kilos rider

Thanks for your post. It's always nice (from a fellow Gotway addict, if that's what you are ;) ) to read some positive comments about Gotway, every once in awhile at least :D

Archived