Nesto1003

I'm wanting to get a Gotway 22"wheel 1600w to ride to work it's 6.1 miles to my work there is a incline here in Duluth, MN to go "up the hill" will I have a problem getting up? I'm going for this one because of it's power, speed and smooth ride(?). I know no problem going down the hill and I've never ridden a uni-wheel just Segway at Disney World. This looks like so much fun, I'll also be riding it around downtown and around our Canal Park by Duluth's signature draw bridge area.

2 hours ago, Nesto1003 said:

will I have a problem getting up?

Well I don't think you can use the Gotway as an alarm clock ?

Seriously, some idea about your weight might help as would the gradient of the hill - otherwise what you are asking is just like: "How long is a piece of string?"

Personally, to me the idea of the biggest, heaviest and powerful wheel like the Monster as a first wheel sounds all sorts of alarm bells (possibly even loud enough to get you up!), but I'll let others like perhaps @Marty Backe who have lots of experience with the Gotway wheels answer that one.

2 hours ago, Nesto1003 said:

I know no problem going down the hill

If an EUC has problems going up a hill it will have at least as many problems going down it - the motor is the brake. At the very least, if your ride starts by going down hill you will need to ensure the battery is not fully charged or there is nowhere for the braking energy to go.

I would not buy a Monster as a first wheel.

Needlessly expensive, and not a good wheel to learn on for a beginner (harder because the thing is so heavy, and the shell breaks easily due to the weight and when learning this won't be a good match).

Also, for inclines (it really depends on your weight and the approximate incline percentage, you need to tell), smaller tire diameters give you more torque (better acceleration/braking). But in the end, all wheels will or won't go up the same hills more or less equally.

Other wheels to consider, if you want something equally strong to the Monster:

Gotway ACM, msuper V3 (preferably the 84V versions - 1300 or 1600 Wh)

Kingsong 16S, Kingsong 18S (for pure ride stability and comfort, this is the best alternative. Also, Kingsongs are most likely some amount safer when it comes to really steep inclines. Personally, I'd prefer 18S over Monster if I could have one of the two.)

9 hours ago, Nesto1003 said:

I'm wanting to get a Gotway 22"wheel 1600w to ride to work it's 6.1 miles to my work there is a incline here in Duluth, MN to go "up the hill" will I have a problem getting up? I'm going for this one because of it's power, speed and smooth ride(?). I know no problem going down the hill and I've never ridden a uni-wheel just Segway at Disney World. This looks like so much fun, I'll also be riding it around downtown and around our Canal Park by Duluth's signature draw bridge area.

I would never recommend the Monster as a first wheel. I believe learning on it would be very difficult and potentially damaging to the wheel. The Monster is so large and heavy that simply falling over on it's side (which will happen a lot as you learn) can damage the shell (not scratch it, but crack it). I strongly recommend not buying a Monster as your first wheel.

Although I know of one person who only rides a Monster, I think most people would agree with me that it's a great secondary wheel but not a primary wheel. A good 16" wheel is probably the best all-purpose wheel to own.

I learned on an ACM (16") and think it's the best general purpose performance wheel made. My opinion. It rides great and has lots of power for riding up any hills that you are considering. For a road machine the MSuper is more comfortable and would also be a nice wheel to learn on.

To answer your question about going up a hill we would need specifics. I could offer you an opinion if you provide me the Google Map coordinates for the specific hill that you are thinking about.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I would never recommend the Monster as a first wheel. I believe learning on it would be very difficult and potentially damaging to the wheel. The Monster is so large and heavy that simply falling over on it's side (which will happen a lot as you learn) can damage the shell (not scratch it, but crack it). I strongly recommend not buying a Monster as your first wheel.

Although I know of one person who only rides a Monster, I think most people would agree with me that it's a great secondary wheel but not a primary wheel. A good 16" wheel is probably the best all-purpose wheel to own.

I learned on an ACM (16") and think it's the best general purpose performance wheel made. My opinion. It rides great and has lots of power for riding up any hills that you are considering. For a road machine the MSuper is more comfortable and would also be a nice wheel to learn on.

To answer your question about going up a hill we would need specifics. I could offer you an opinion if you provide me the Google Map coordinates for the specific hill that you are thinking about.

Something tells me that one person could be me... i love my monster, because it's very steady when cruising and I wouldn't have to worry too much about little bumps and holes versus the 16" or smaller wheels when you are not paying attention. 

But i agree with Marty that monster is not for the first wheel to learn. You will drop it and you will crack its shell(s) because of its weight and size. Worst case, It will spin furiously and hurt your lower legs if you are not skilled to hold it steady.

On 7/1/2017 at 1:24 AM, Nesto1003 said:

Love Duluth. Do they still hold the Northshore Inline Marathon there?  I used to visit once a year for that. So much fun!  I have the Monster as my first and only wheel.  Although it's an incredible touring machine, the hills might be annoying if not problematic. I find I have to grab the handle and push it forward as I lean when attacking steep hills. That's fine for quick short inclines, but with what Duluth has, I'd be worried about wires melting and catastrophic failure. I do keep track of the device's internal temp with DarknessBot and haven't seen above 130 degrees F.  It's true what's been said about the Monster's frail strength regarding falls. I haven't cracked the case or scratched much with two falls because I've strategically applied foam strips to the case. Makes it look retro but now falling off 400 miles later. The second fall at low speed on hard trail dirt caused a strange power loss on both acceleration & braking. I've been told the problem is not common. Good luck finding the right wheel. You have the enthusiasm and it will be rewarded once you've climbed aboard!

If Duluth really has so many extensive hills as you say, I'd say Kingsong is a much better choice for OP. 16S or 18S are fantastic wheels and (even though they are new and not much tested yet) I don't think they will exhibit the catastrophic failures that are possible with Gotway and steep hills. While it's not guaranteed Gotway wheels and especially the Monster won't work (they might, it depends on rider weight and the exact routes driven), if the hills are indeed too steep for them, then that failure is more or less guaranteed. I would not want to take that risk.

16S as an allrounder, 18S for riding comfort and stability and maximum speed.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If Duluth really has so many extensive hills as you say, I'd say Kingsong is a much better choice for OP. 16S or 18S are fantastic wheels and (even though they are new and not much tested yet) I don't think they will exhibit the catastrophic failures that are possible with Gotway and steep hills. While it's not guaranteed Gotway wheels and especially the Monster won't work (they might, it depends on rider weight and the exact routes driven), if the hills are indeed too steep for them, then that failure is more or less guaranteed. I would not want to take that risk.

16S as an allrounder, 18S for riding comfort and stability and maximum speed.

After talking to Jason I'm not convinced that's true. Kingsong uses the same thin gauge wiring as Gotway. The thing is, people don't push KingSong wheels like they do Gotway wheels. And up until now, KingSong wheels would overheat instead. But now that the overheating has been fixed, maybe their cables might melt too if people drive the wheels up long steep hills. Time will tell I guess.

Stop killing my last hope;) I know the same fundamental problem exists here, but... stop killing my last hope;)

For now, we have the 16non-S doing a mountain that an ACM might not survive, the nice KS18Awhatever hill videos, and no data on the new wheels.. Who wants to buy a nice new Kingsong, only to stress test it and see if and when it breaks?:rolleyes:

Time will indeed tell...

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Stop killing my last hope;) I know the same fundamental problem exists here, but... stop killing my last hope;)

For now, we have the 16non-S doing a mountain that an ACM might not survive, the nice KS18Awhatever hill videos, and no data on the new wheels.. Who wants to buy a nice new Kingsong, only to stress test it and see if and when it breaks?:rolleyes:

Time will indeed tell...

:laughbounce2:

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2017 at 9:51 PM, Sven said:

I'm buying a motorcycle!!! 30mph is not enough for me!!! LOL

But seriously, I'm buying honda grom. ahahaha

This will fulfill my needs

0-35: monster

35-45: grom

45+: prius

haha loving it. 

IMG_5794.JPG

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Aw man that is one sweet ride!  :w00t2:  How much did you get it for?  Did you get a good deal on it?

I don't think i got the best deal, 4400 otd. Some bought for 3800-4200ish so... but I'm excited :) it's very fun

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Image result for honda 50 trail

Wow, the Honda is great, remember the trail 50 and 70?  Honda is an innovator, the Grom looks great!  Where is a good place to buy one?:dribble:

This one actually looks better than ones they make nowadays. Lol

not sure where to get one in your town but i got mine from Huntington beach honda. 

On 8/23/2017 at 10:44 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sweet!  I was wondering who on the forum might be getting one.  No Stealth Bomber E-bike for you?  Be sure to post up some photos/videos when you get it!

23 minutes ago, Sven said:

It's interesting that for a handful additional hundreds dollar bills over the Monster you can buy this. Seems like you're getting a lot more for your money with the Grom.

Of course if Honda was only selling a few hundred of these their prices would be a lot higher. But I bet the Grom quality control is a smidgen better than a Gotway wheel :D 

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's interesting that for a handful additional hundreds dollar bills over the Monster you can buy this. Seems like you're getting a lot more for your money with the Grom.

Of course if Honda was only selling a few hundred of these their prices would be a lot higher. But I bet the Grom quality control is a smidgen better than a Gotway wheel :D 

You know what Marty, i think having a grom for price of two monster is not a bad idea, if its purposes were "weekend getaway" & "fun". the only downside i can think of is that i wouldn't be able to take it on my favorite river bike trails or Griffith park.

I like it because it's not a hardcore super bike (or cruiser bike) and not even freeway legal. Lol

btw, I should be getting my monster back from joey this week :) 

10 minutes ago, Sven said:

You know what Marty, i think having a grom for price of two monster is not a bad idea, if its purposes were "weekend getaway" & "fun". the only downside i can think of is that i wouldn't be able to take it on my favorite river bike trails or Griffith park.

I like it because it's not a hardcore super bike (or cruiser bike) and not even freeway legal. Lol

btw, I should be getting my monster back from joey this week :) 

My Monster was ~$2600. The Grom's look like they go for ~$3600. Looks cool and fun, but ultimately I'm not willing to ride a motorcycle in Southern California where I have to share the road with cars. Be safe!

Congrat's on getting your Monster back. I bet you can't wait to be riding it again :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Sven said:

This will fulfill my needs

0-35: monster

35-45: grom

45+: prius

haha loving it. 

IMG_5794.JPG

Darn. Wish you would of gotten something that was 150cc or larger engine.  You won't be able to go on the freeway with the Grom. 

Archived