Gotway Msuper V3s+ 84v (1300wh) failed. Loose axle nut.

19 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That's unusable, that's a one side offset wrench, you need an oxygen sensor socket!  But I am probably wrong about that.:o

This wrench will work perfectly if the wheel is striped down to just the motor and attached pedal brackets. I used one when I installed the new motor on my ACM. However, if you don't want to remove the batteries, control board, wiring harness, and shell, then you need an oxygen sensor type socket or second best, pass-through socket.

The oxygen sensor type wrench requires minimal disruption of the wheel (removal of battery cover). The pass-through socket requires that all of the motor wires be disconnected from the control board. That's a messy job on the Gotway wheels because of all the silicon that they butter over the control board connectors.

I wonder how KingSong secures the pedals to the motor axle, where apparently there are never problems. Or other wheels for that matter. Is this only a Gotway issue?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

Mine just arrived. Its a standard 45° slant offset. Pis below. It is 25mm

I hope I measured to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love 's satifaction. This is the 1st time I have posted a pic of my tool here. ???

You're packing a good ten inches of tool there.  :whistling:  Any man would be happy to have that available in his tool chest.

I think the KingSong's have a sandwich type of clamp with two bolts which secure the top brace to the pedal support.  There have been reports of KS14 pedal brackets coming loose.  Just ask @dmethvin who helped repair a damsel in distress's wheel a while back.  You can see the two bolts in this video:

51 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You're packing a good ten inches of tool there.  :whistling:  Any man would be happy to have that available in his tool chest.

I think the KingSong's have a sandwich type of clamp with two bolts which secure the top brace to the pedal support.  There have been reports of KS14 pedal brackets coming loose.  Just ask @dmethvin who helped repair a damsel in distress's wheel a while back.  You can see the two bolts in this video:

I think I like that solution better. Even if the brackets get loose it's not the huge deal that it is with Gotway, to tighten things up again.

Just now, Stan Onymous said:

Lowes has a 25mm pass through socket on their website. I didnt look for local availability, gear wrenches would work too. I am going to look at Autozone.

Yes, I saw that Lowes one. But it also says "Unavailable" :(

Note that we've now learned that the Monster actually requires a 24mm wrench. @Sven got the numbers wrong when he reported 25mm as the size. @Rehab1 is fabricating a custom socket for me :D. I figure when I'm done using it I can pass it to the next Monster user who needs one. And we can keep the cycle going as long as needed. @Rehab1 may even get it back after he buys himself a Monster :whistling: 

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Can you please take a closeup photo as well? Thanks

Monster on the top, ACM on the bottom. They were both taken with the camera the same distance away from the wheel. You can see how thicker the axle walls are on the Monster.

I measured the correct height of the slot that's needed: 1-1/4"

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9337.jpg

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Monster on the top, ACM on the bottom. They were both taken with the camera the same distance away from the wheel. You can see how thicker the axle walls are on the Monster.

I measured the correct height of the slot that's needed: 1-1/4"

IMG_9336.jpg

IMG_9337.jpg

Great close ups. Thanks! I never noticed on my ACM just how thin the flat lateral walls on the shaft are. 

I can't remember on my ACM how far the spring wound metal insulator can be slid back to expose more of the wire bundle. Decreasing the width of the slot would increase the strength. If it cannot be slide back far enough to possibly decrease the slot width I will cut the slot 1/2" wide as you suggested. 

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Note that we've now learned that the Monster actually requires a 24mm wrench. @Sven got the numbers wrong when he reported 25mm as the size. @Rehab1 is fabricating a custom socket for me 

Both the 25 and 24 mm are arriving this morning. Please be certain on the size as I have an return slip for the 25mm. I will ship UPS 2nd day so you should have it Friday.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I figure when I'm done using it I can pass it to the next Monster user who needs one. And we can keep the cycle going as long as needed. @Rehab1 may even get it back after he buys himself a Monster :whistling: 

Sorry but I have no  plans on purchasing a Monster. I am out of room! :)Please feel free to loan it out! 

35624561104_57ca047380.jpg

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Great close ups. Thanks! I never noticed on my ACM just how thin the flat lateral walls on the shaft are. 

I can't remember on my ACM how far the spring wound metal insulator can be slid back to expose more of the wire bundle. Decreasing the width of the slot would increase the strength. If it cannot be slide back far enough to possibly decrease the slot width I will cut the slot 1/2" wide as you suggested. 

Both the 25 and 24 mm are arriving this morning. Please be certain on the size as I have an return slip for the 25mm. I will ship UPS 2nd day so you should have it Friday.

Sorry but I have no  plans on purchasing a Monster. I am out of room! :)Please feel free to loan it out! 

35624561104_57ca047380.jpg

I am 100% certain on the 24mm size. The spring can't be moved at all. There is protective tubing above it. And in the Monster the motor wires take a very direct path to the control board. There is very little 'play' available in the cable, so I think the wider slot will be necessary.

You really don't have to worry about getting it to me on Friday, although the gesture is greatly appreciated :) I have patience, and more importantly, extra wheels to satiate my riding appetite. 

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe the socket is done and shipping shortly. Should be there Friday. Good luck!

36419268916_7910615c7c_b.jpg

This looks great @Rehab1! I really can't express how grateful I am with your help. I'm excited to get it and tackle the Monster. Hoping it goes smoothly (trying not to envision all the possible bad outcomes).

Thanks gain :cheers:

Film at 11

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This looks great @Rehab1! I really can't express how grateful I am with your help. I'm excited to get it and tackle the Monster. Hoping it goes smoothly (trying not to envision all the possible bad outcomes).

Thanks gain :cheers:

Film at 11

Your most welcome! A pleasure to help! :)

Archived