Gotway Msuper V3s+ 84v (1300wh) failed. Loose axle nut.

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks, that looks even better. Even if the nut weren't fully tight this technique would't preclude you from further tightening it later?

I just don't see myself disconnecting the wire and buying the socket & driver, but a little preventive maintenance next time I'm in the shell couldn't hurt.

I've never tried cutting a socket, but i wonder if you could make something like this, so you don't have to disconnect the motor and sensor cables from the control board to tighten the nut?

s-l64.jpg

A tool like this would be perfect .....and looked all over the Internet for something like "side open ratchet" ....but found nothing :-(

So if you are doing some of them....i take one :-)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

n2eus 

sorry to hear about your issue, I'm sure Dion will address this. I have purchased ACM in the past (still runs amazing) and couple months back Msuper 1300 as well (all good so far). I will always recommend him and do for any wheel purchase.

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Problem will be that also to the 3 Motor wires there are the sensor wires which are nicely siliconed to the board :-(

I did fail to mention the hall sensor connector but it will easily pass through the socket as well. Before I purchase the socket set I am first going to try the method @Marty Backe mentioned and cut a socket partially in half. 

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

A tool like this would be perfect .....and looked all over the Internet for something like "side open ratchet" ....but found nothing :-(

So if you are doing some of them....i take one :-)

Google oxygen sensor socket

Just now, Rehab1 said:

I did fail to mention the hall sensor connector but it will easily pass through the socket as well. Before I purchase the socket set I am first going to try the method @Marty Backe mentioned and cut a socket partially in half. 

You are a man of action :cheers:  I'm pretty sure I was going to try it but who knows when.  Obviously I'll be very interested in the outcome of your experiment.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You are a man of action :cheers:  I'm pretty sure I was going to try it but who knows when.  Obviously I'll be very interested in the outcome of your experiment.

I'll give it a shot. :thumbup: I need to take the ACM shell off anyway to install the temp probes so I might as well see if your idea works. Will call it the 'Brokebacke Socket'!:)

5 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Google oxygen sensor socket

Unfortunately the sizes are limited, but I think it proves that the cut sockets are probably strong enough. What will it take to actually cut a slot is the question. These sockets are probably made with a hardened steel.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately the sizes are limited, but I think it proves that the cut sockets are probably strong enough. What will it take to actually cut a slot it the question. These sockets are probably made with a hardened steel.

I should have said google homemade oxygen sensor socket.  A video comes up but I didn't watch it all, but the guy used a small grinder to first cut a socket in half (he was making something including welding a swivel to the socket, unnecessary)  and he used the same grinder to cut the slot.  He mentioned it was hardened steel, you need a vice, steady hands, gloves and eye protection.Image result for homemade oxygen sensor socket The slot doesn't need to be that wide.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:42 AM, steve454 said:

I should have said google homemade oxygen sensor socket.  A video comes up but I didn't watch it all, but the guy used a small grinder to first cut a socket in half (he was making something including welding a swivel to the socket, unnecessary)  and he used the same grinder to cut the slot.  He mentioned it was hardened steel, you need a vice, steady hands, gloves and eye protection.Image result for homemade oxygen sensor socket The slot doesn't need to be that wide.

Opinion since I do not know what torque you need. 

I would do the same as in the picture but do not cut the socket at the point where the nut is driven. The walls of the socket might not be strong enough. Also use a socket with hex pattern instead of the socket that has many smalle cuts. Those sockets have thinner walls. Picture to be added. 

IMG_1488.JPG

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the restoration...  Motor and mainboard replaced and new firmware loaded and tested.  Today, I rode it through typical situations and speeds.  It performed very smoothly with no hint of disgruntlement.  :)

8 hours ago, n2eus said:

Just an update on the restoration...  Motor and mainboard replaced and new firmware loaded and tested.  Today, I rode it through typical situations and speeds.  It performed very smoothly with no hint of disgruntlement.  :)

Thank you for your patience, I'm glad your back to riding, the wheel actually feels better than my old msuper v3s+, new firmware is smoother and more responsive!

6 hours ago, zlymex said:

I got this

Wrench8.thumb.gif.63a7f35b7c25d4be0bc4034eef2b84b5.gif

These are often called "Dogbone Wrenches". Now if only they made one that goes up to 25mm (for my Monster). I've yet to find one :(

14 hours ago, myfunwheel said:

Thank you for your patience, I'm glad your back to riding, the wheel actually feels better than my old msuper v3s+, new firmware is smoother and more responsive!

Thanks again for the repair. After another long ride today, I'm very pleased with the new firmware response as well :)

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

These are often called "Dogbone Wrenches". Now if only they made one that goes up to 25mm (for my Monster). I've yet to find one :(

Is that so? I thought GW use the same motor(for shaft and internal) for ACM, V3 and Monster. The axle nuts of my V3/V3s+ is 21mm.

16 minutes ago, zlymex said:

Is that so? I thought GW use the same motor(for shaft and internal) for ACM, V3 and Monster. The axle nuts of my V3/V3s+ is 21mm.

I haven't opened my Monster yet, but another user (@Sven) had the same issue on his Monster and told me that he needed a 25mm wrench. So apparently the Monster axle is larger?

When I replaced my ACM motor I used a 21mm wrench like you did.

I use this for all of my repairs when it's necessary to have wires pass through the socket.  I couple this wrench with a 18" 3/4" pipe for more leverage and it works beautifully:) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009L8GEPM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502159512&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pass+through+socket+set&dpPl=1&dpID=41L7ZoyXMqL&ref=plSrch

5 minutes ago, myfunwheel said:

I use this for all of my repairs when it's necessary to have wires pass through the socket.  I couple this wrench with a 18" 3/4" pipe for more leverage and it works beautifully:) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009L8GEPM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502159512&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pass+through+socket+set&dpPl=1&dpID=41L7ZoyXMqL&ref=plSrch

That's perfect Dion. I've searched for dog-bone wrenches and scaffolding wrenches, but none are available in the 21mm and 25mm sizes.

Now I've finally found the correct search term thanks to you. Home Depot sells 21mm and 25mm sockets for the pass-through wrench.

Thanks man! :cheers:

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's perfect Dion. I've searched for dog-bone wrenches and scaffolding wrenches, but none are available in the 21mm and 25mm sizes.

Now I've finally found the correct search term thanks to you. Home Depot sells 21mm and 25mm sockets for the pass-through wrench.

Thanks man! :cheers:

I spoke too soon. Yep, impossible to find 25mm. The couple of links that I found all say "Unavailable".

So close. So close :crying:

22 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Thanks @Hunka Hunka Burning Love. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes. Anything above 19mm is not available directly from Lowes (or Home Depot). That 12 piece set you found is really nice in that it includes the 21 (ACM & MSuper) and 25mm sizes. Never saw a set like this that included the larger sizes.

44 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm so tempted, but upon closer inspection these are not true metric sizes. They fit both imperial and metric, which means they will be slightly larger than the perfect fit required for the axle nuts. These nuts require so much force that you are liable to round the nuts when using a 1" socket vs the exact 25mm size.

Back to the drawing board :(

Archived