If you fell off EUC and got injured in the last few years, how are you all doing now?

Planetpapi

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oh, water, that explains it. He did say he does not know why the fire happened...

Were you there Marty? Sounds like it.

No, but he posted a bit more in the group ride posting, that he was going to ride in today

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I understand the desire but I think it's unrealistic to add the expense of making something waterproof that's not intended to be operated around water. A GoPro is waterproof because the expectation is that it'll be used in and around water. A car is not. Nor an iPhone.

And given the physical abuse that these wheels take, I think any waterproofing would have during the crash that would send it into the wall. During @YoshiSkySun's crash the wheel went down a boulder strewn hill into the water. Do doubt the tumble on the rocks would have broken any water seals.

I think that any vehicle capable of going at the speeds these EUCs take us should have better waterproofing abilities in general.  I don't think they can be made indestructible certainly, but I figure it's like buying a $2000 electric bike or motorbike, getting caught in a rainstorm, and then having a LiPo explosion because water got in somehow.  It just shouldn't happen.  It's always sunny in Cali, but in other places the weather can be quite unpredictable.

These wheels are meant to be ridden outdoors so they need to be able to face anything mother nature can throw at them.  Or at least that's my opinion.  :innocent1:  Getting dunked into some water should not equate to needing a new control board and and battery nor an explosive meltdown.  I'd pay a little extra for some waterproofing.  Even my watch is water resistant, and it wasn't that pricey.

Cars are fairly waterproofed as they can survive driving through some water as well as having their engine bays power washed.  iPhone 7 is now waterproof.  :whistling:  Add a snorkel onto an SUV and you can drive under water!

a0ce19a8ee38a4150358a36f1eddfdb4--x-acce

Ever washed a motorcycle?

1c7ce7bcff919bd5dc623ccae114f3f8.jpg

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think that any vehicle capable of going at the speeds these EUCs take us should have better waterproofing abilities in general.  I don't think they can be made indestructible certainly, but I figure it's like buying a $2000 electric bike or motorbike, getting caught in a rainstorm, and then having a LiPo explosion because water got in somehow.  It just shouldn't happen.  It's always sunny in Cali, but in other places the weather can be quite unpredictable.

These wheels are meant to be ridden outdoors so they need to be able to face anything mother nature can throw at them.  Or at least that's my opinion.  :innocent1:  Getting dunked into some water should not equate to needing a new control board and and battery nor an explosive meltdown.  I'd pay a little extra for some waterproofing.  Even my watch is water resistant, and it wasn't that pricey.

Cars are fairly waterproofed as they can survive driving through some water as well as having their engine bays power washed.  iPhone 7 is now waterproof.  :whistling:  Add a snorkel onto an SUV and you can drive under water!

a0ce19a8ee38a4150358a36f1eddfdb4--x-acce

Ever washed a motorcycle?

1c7ce7bcff919bd5dc623ccae114f3f8.jpg

Washing the wheels and riding them in the rain seems to work fine. But the scenario that prompted your comments (and mine) was a wheel that fell into a river. I just don't think that's ever going to be survivable.

• Upvote 2

I guess I just don't see why not.  There aren't that many components to these EUCs.  I've posted in other thread examples of various waterproof connectors.  Sealing up a battery pack shouldn't be that difficult I think.  IPS has proven that encased modular control boards do work.  Stepping them up to be waterproofed might not be too hard.

Boosted boards appear to be water resistant.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/30/the-boosted-board-2-dual-is-more-exciting-and-water-resistant-than-the-original/

Can they survive being under water?  I don't know.  Would there be a huge challenge in bringing these EUCs from being water resistant to being waterproof?  I know the likelihood is small of total water immersion (well maybe not that small - looking at you @Rehab1 and you @YoshiSkySun and a bunch of others on the forum :rolleyes:), but for safety and durability it sure would be reassuring if they were waterproof I think.  It would make for a lot of great survival stories rather than tragic "I need a new ride" ones.  If you know a wheel can survive being dunked into a pool, you likely are safe to ride in any wet weather conditions.  That's my line of thinking.  

Is that overkill to ask that something costing so much be completely waterproof?  For instance would you buy a $2000 watch that wasn't waterproof?  Normally it wouldn't be submerged into water, but sometimes it could be.  I would hope it could survive if it ever was.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Is that overkill to ask that something costing so much be completely waterproof?  For instance would you buy a $2000 watch that wasn't waterproof?  Normally it wouldn't be submerged into water, but sometimes it could be.

Well, how long did it take that iPhones became waterproof? Wait, it didn't happen yet, or did it? 

In my mind it is (a) pretty clear that this is technically no problem (and hence possible for manufacturers that can build EUCs that don't have trivial failures like smoking wires or breaking axles), but (b) very unlikely to get a reasonable return on investment at this point in time.

Edited by Mono

You're actually correct.  Apparently the iPhone 7 isn't waterproof, but it is water resistant.  It did also take a long time - seven generations.

I think every extra feature can be an added bonus that contributes to reputation.  It may not overtly increase a manufacturer's profits, but I think the sum of the features do affect sales numbers.  For rainy areas where puddles are a hazard, would buyers choose a water resistant or a waterproof one?  A wheel that has borderline thickness axles or breakproof ones?  Melt resistant wiring or thick meltproof ones?

I don't plan on riding in the rain if I can help it or drop my wheel into a puddle, but it  would make me feel better if I knew that I could without any dire consequences.  And it's all about feeling good now isn't it?  :w00t2:

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think every extra feature can be an added bonus that contributes to reputation.  It may not overtly increase a manufacturer's profits, but I think the sum of the features do affect sales numbers.

When I speak about return on investment, I surely factor in any effects on sales or reputation (which again effects sales or the price that people are ready to pay). Though I think the main "problem" is not this side of the equation, but the investment side. Despite its obvious technical feasibility, it is probably more expensive to realise than one might think, and the devil is always in the detail (like getting rid of the headphone jack).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can see that you're not going to give in on this one :)

I want to see an iPhone tossed down a boulder strewn hillside and into a river. And it has to be tossed by a buxom woman (taking your side of the argument) ;) 

What can I say?  I'm a master debater.  Or was that a master bater?  :confused1:  Or maybe both.  :innocent1:  I'm like a persistent rash that doesn't go away no matter how much corticosteroid cream you slather on.  In the immortal words of "Popeye," I yam what I yam.

Okay okay I've run outta reps, but I do see both your points.  Does it cost that much more for a few waterproof connectors, thicker axles, better wiring, and sealed control boards/batteries?  Sure.  Would people mind paying more for those features?  I think they would be okay with it.  Would @EUC Extreme pay a premium for a wheel that he can have a buxom blonde throw down a rocky cliff into a lake and survive?  I bet he likely would.

I'm just posting these ideas and suggestions up so more people think about them and consider what features they want.  They might be pipe dreams, but hey if someone like Gotway, Ninebot, etc are watching :ph34r: maybe they might go hmmm that isn't actually a half bad idea... like using a fat tire on a EUC.. and go why not?  :P

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Didn't @Sidestreet RenyS just dunk his Ks14 in a river while riding the adjacent rocks? Fully submerged? Pulled it out and it was OK? If I recall this correctly then I think it is safe to say these wheels are water resistant enough for what can be considered acceptable usage.

@YoshiSkySun slashed his foot open after the accident just trying to get down the boulders to recover his wheel. In short they were bloody sharp. Any device smashing down rocks that sharp at or exceeding 30mph while also likely tumbling wildly would likely have been physically compromised. I suspect the battery pack was exposed and suffered physical trauma. It could have shorted, superheated, vented and then self ignited in a runaway fire. The swim might have actually delayed the fire briefly.

Yessiree @WARPed1701D my 14D came out of the water ready to try again! Just let it dry before you try and turn it on again after you fish it out! I'm just a rider not a tech guy so don't take my word for it. :D Where the electronics are mounted might have something to do with it too.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

Even if you don't wanna go fast get as much power as you can...and listen to your EUC!

That's good advice, the small batteries and weak motors are way more dangerous!  Especially for the heavier riders, at 210lbs the ninebot works fine just riding steady speed, but do a powerbrake and fall on your ass!  Too easy to overpower a weak wheel!  Now when stopping to go backwards, I listen more to the wheel and gently stop and lean back to go backwards.  Now I know some of the limitations.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You're actually correct.  Apparently the iPhone 7 isn't waterproof, but it is water resistant.  It did also take a long time - seven generations.

Hold your horses! My Iphone 7 went to the bottom of the lake along with my wife's KS14C (and a bunch of other stuff:crying:) The KS14C died but the phone survived! I wished it was the other way around!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

Little scar. Barely see it through my furrowed brow :angry::mellow:. My knee still clicks a little bit...more than it already did before. Anybody need some calcium? Lol

Much better selfie than the faceplant version! My knee, shoulder, elbow and neck are all sore at times. If you wake up in the morning and have no pain... your dead!;)

14 hours ago, YoshiSkySun said:

I received some severe road rashes around my joint areas with some light abrasions and on top of that I had to get 20 stitches on the bottom of left foot. The cut to my left foot was unrelated to the crash...I believe, I got the cut on my foot as I went down some rocks with jagged edges to retrieve my uni...so, basically it was like a double whammy.

IMG_3026.JPG

Hey Yoshi... Having just met you when I was in LA, I was interested to read about your ACM upgrade. But more concerned now to read about your experience with it! While we all know everyone else on the forum, having met you IRL makes this all the more significant for me.

I hope you get well soon, and I expect to see you riding (with a bit more protection) at our next international ride.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Sidestreet Reny Ouch! Is this new?

Yep, he crashed and (literally) burned the ACM on Friday. The cut on the foot occurred while he climbed down some rocks to recover the ACM from the water.