If you fell off EUC and got injured in the last few years, how are you all doing now?

Planetpapi

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Only humans?

What about primates?

Or the more evolved "EUman"?

What sets our hands apart from other animals is our opposable thumbs—this means our thumbs and fingers can work together. Ok....koala bears also have opposable thumbs, 2 per hand.:) Additionally our fingers are much more sensitive as we have a larger number of receptors responsible for sending the messages to the brain.

NJVLvYS.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

What sets our hands apart from other animals is our opposable thumbs—this means our thumbs and fingers can work together. Ok....koala bears also have opposable thumbs, 2 per hand.:) Additionally our fingers are much more sensitive as we have a larger number of receptors responsible for sending the messages to the brain.

NJVLvYS.jpg

Koalas also have chlamydia...

It's an Australian thing. 

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Koalas also have chlamydia...

It's an Australian thing. 

Ah...but can they peel back a beer tab? BTW, how was your trip to our country?Did @Marty Backe and the lights of LA corrupt you?

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

When it comes to credit cards, I think "Mrs <insert SO surname here>" is all that is required for a perfect match...  :facepalm:

EDIT: I'm so glad she doesn't read these forums  :efee612b4b:

EDIT2: I hope she doesn't read these forums  :efee96588e:

EDIT3: Love you, honey  :efeeec645d:

:laughbounce2:

I was riding a long downhill at the edge of tiltback (about 25kph) when the Lhotz 'lhozt' it and wasn't able to break anymore. Fell on my back wearing only a helmet, soft wrist supports and thick clothing. My left wrist must've bent over a bit as I sometimes still feel slight pain after a few months. Other than that I only got slight discomfort on my back, neck and left elbow for a few days. Since then I've added proper wrist, elbow and knee shields. Working on attaching DIY hip and tailbone shields to my riding clothes.

I still don't know why it happened. Battery was at 55% and outside temperature about 10°C, so the Lhotz really shouldn't have overheated or overcharged.

My younger brother (28) doesn't wear any protection with his Zero. I'm done patronizing, all I can do now is hope that he won't get hurt too bad WHEN he falls. I'm stumped how a smart guy can be so plain stupid on some things.

• Upvote 2

@mrelwood I wonder if you encountered the same tiltback while braking event that I did.  In my case I just rode it through while continuing to brake so I didn't fall.  Maybe you over-leaned in the rearward direction.  As you are trying to brake, the wheel tilts back throwing you off a little during your braking move.  It you aren't expecting it, it can be very unsettling.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@mrelwood I wonder if you encountered the same tiltback while braking event that I did.

I don't think it was the same. I was riding at a steady speed, and before I had time to even blink I was in the ground. I didn't have time to feel any tiltback or the rubberband effect from too strong breaking. I think the motor turned off, which is why I suspect overheating. The hill was quite steep and very long.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/07/2017 at 7:11 AM, mrelwood said:

I still don't know why it happened. Battery was at 55% and outside temperature about 10°C, so the Lhotz really shouldn't have overheated or overcharged.

My IPS 132 is a terribly weak braker, compared to the Gotway or InMotion I own. The IPS also gave up once under braking going slightly down hill at maybe 12km/h. My guess is that it does only regenerative braking.

On 29/06/2017 at 9:03 PM, LanghamP said:

There was a fad some years ago in several European cities called "shared spaces" whereby cities removed traffic signs and let the cars and pedestrians mingle freely, kinda what one does with shopping carts in the grocery store. You negotiate space.

Didn't work of course; the whole idea was bonkers since the damage incurred during a car-pedestrian-bike collision is born almost entirely by the non-car.

There are lots of such streets for example in Germany since decades (long before the fad) and they seem to work just fine. Cars are not allowed to go faster than at walking speed. Of course many do and all depends on how the space prevents cars from speeding too much, which is apparently doable.

25 minutes ago, Mono said:

There are lots of such streets for example in Germany since decades (long before the fad) and they seem to work just fine. Cars are not allowed to go faster than at walking speed. Of course many do and all depends on how the space prevents cars from speeding too much, which is apparently doable.

g5-erf.gif

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, YoshiSkySun said:

So...this happened to me yesterday on my Gotway ACM. I believe, I was pushing the machine at top speed (which is not recommended) and the machine basically ejected me. Like an idiot, I disabled the tilt back features and wasn't wear any form of protections...that will be the last time. 

IMG_3006.JPG

That looks bad. What's the damage?

I received some severe road rashes around my joint areas with some light abrasions and on top of that I had to get 20 stitches on the bottom of left foot. The cut to my left foot was unrelated to the crash...I believe, I got the cut on my foot as I went down some rocks with jagged edges to retrieve my uni...so, basically it was like a double whammy.

IMG_3026.JPG

Edited by YoshiSkySun

Yeeks :blink: sorry to hear about the accident.  I had noted from your group ride with Marty that you and Jeff don't seem to use much protective gear plus riding in sandals was a little surprising to see.  To stay in the game that's why us group one riders suit up.  Who wants to be sidelined when you could be riding?

This is why I have this classification:

It's also good to note that EUC makers should make these wheels completely waterproof so they can survive being submerged in 10 m of water for an hour.  It's likely not that difficult to add in some waterproof connectors, seal up battery packs really well, and place the control boards in a waterproof box.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, YoshiSkySun said:

Here's the aftermath...I don't know why the machine burst into flames after it threw me off...

Better the wheel than you, but .... WTF:huh::o:shock2: That's one expensive mystery. You should be able to get this replaced by your dealer, this isn't normal crash behavior!!!

Did this stop by itself, or was it extinguished?

17 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Yeeks :blink: sorry to hear about the accident.  I had noted from your group ride with Marty that you and Jeff don't seem to use much protective gear plus riding in sandals was a little surprising to see.  To stay in the game that's why us group one riders suit up.  Who wants to be sidelined when you could be riding?

This is why I have this classification:

It's also good to note that EUC makers should make these wheels completely waterproof so they can survive being submerged in 10 m of water for an hour.  It's likely not that difficult to add in some waterproof connectors, seal up battery packs really well, and place the control boards in a waterproof box.

I understand the desire but I think it's unrealistic to add the expense of making something waterproof that's not intended to be operated around water. A GoPro is waterproof because the expectation is that it'll be used in and around water. A car is not. Nor an iPhone.

And given the physical abuse that these wheels take, I think any waterproofing would have during the crash that would send it into the wall. During @YoshiSkySun's crash the wheel went down a boulder strewn hill into the water. Do doubt the tumble on the rocks would have broken any water seals.

• Upvote 2