Southern California Sunset Ride - 08Jul2017

Marty Backe

Join us as we host @The Fat Unicyclist as he visits us from New Zealand. Since he lives in the middle of nowhere ;) he doesn't have access to a variety of wheels for evaluation. He's in the process of deciding his next wheel so we'd like to help him out by letting him give a variety of wheels a spin. After we overwhelm him with choices we'll take a little ride around Griffith Park, ending at the observatory as the Sun sets. We've already had one sunset ride here and it's quite enjoyable.

Any wheel with a 15+ mile range should do you fine tonight

For technical reasons I'm low on additional wheels (for the fat guy ;)) so I'm hoping one or more of you will have an extra wheel that will get Kevin through the sunset ride.

The plan is to meet here at 5pm Saturday afternoon. https://goo.gl/maps/C36TEmWzpxL2

Sometimes it can be a little unpredictable as to the parking situation, but there is lots of street parking within 1/2 mile of the meetup spot.

See updated posting for additional information: 

As usual, please respond to this posting if you can join us. Hope to see you then.

Marty

@nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @abinder3 @captainwells @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel

@HeavyGoing @zentype @n2eus @Peter Q

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

So when's the after-meet-up at the "Tilted Kilt???"  :dribble:  Videos!  We demand videos!  No, not of the ride, but of the Tilted Kilt!  :dribble:

Hopefully @Sven films it and does that video stop thing with the names of each waitress:popcorn:

On 6/26/2017 at 4:26 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

So when's the after-meet-up at the "Tilted Kilt???"  :dribble:  Videos!  We demand videos!  No, not of the ride, but of the Tilted Kilt!  :dribble:

There's even a TV show?  :w00t2:

I wish :dribble: The only Tilted Kilt near us is where I destroyed my ACM while looking for a nice trail for @The Fat Unicyclist to ride while he's out here.

Aww... Thanks @Marty Backe!

But please be gentle with me... Remember that I will have just gotten off a 13 hour flight, still be jet lagged, in shock at the complete lack of sub-Antarctic weather, and nervous as hell riding any borrowed wheel. 

And then there's that inevitable Pineapple Lump withdrawal...

But seriously - even if a spare wheel doesn't eventuate, just the opportunity to discuss things (like where the nearest Tilted Kilt is at) and to try a few different wheels around the car park would be fantastic!

PS. @Sven... If you are videoing, give me a heads up anytime I come into frame (so that I have time to suck in). This might be the evidence I need to change into "The Svelte Cyclist."

20 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The plan is to meet here at 5pm Saturday afternoon. https://goo.gl/maps/C36TEmWzpxL2

What's the current world record for, "Furthest distance travelled to an EUC group ride?"

I think in a fortnight it may be... 6713 miles (or 10803km for the rest of us)!  :D

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

What's the current world record for, "Furthest distance travelled to an EUC group ride?"

I think in a fortnight it may be... 6713 miles (or 10803km for the rest of us)!  :D

I dunno,last October I flew from Los Angeles to Shenzhen to group ride with @John Eucist and his girlfriend and also group ride with @tinawong and the Kingsong boys.By the way,I have numerous wheels and most of them are not "GetoffwaysTM" ,so I'll be able to supply you a loaner wheel for the group ride on the 8th.How much do you weigh?

2 minutes ago, jrkline said:

I dunno,last October I flew from Los Angeles to Shenzhen to group ride with @John Eucist and his girlfriend and also group ride with @tinawong and the Kingsong boys.By the way,I have numerous wheels and most of them are not "GetoffwaysTM" ,so I'll be able to supply you a loaner wheel for the group ride on the 8th.How much do you weigh?

I don't think that counts since it wasn't a planned group ride.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love claimed he was pushing 270 pounds, but @The Fat Unicyclist put him in his place, as he's closer to 245. God knows what he'll weigh after eating all of the airline food that he's going to be served though :laughbounce2:

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think that counts since it wasn't a planned group ride.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love claimed he was pushing 270 pounds, but @The Fat Unicyclist put him in his place, as he's closer to 245. God knows what he'll weigh after eating all of the airline food that he's going to be served though :laughbounce2:

Somehow I don't believe that @The Fat Unicyclist is flying all the way to L.A. to just join a group ride.Your not moonlighting for CNN are you?:o I'll find him a nice reliable non "GetoffwayTM" KingSong wheel to ride!:D

4 hours ago, jrkline said:

Thanks @jrkline... Both for the offer :) and for shattering my world record attempt. :(  

Plan for about 245lb - so for 15+ miles (with hills) I'm thinking at least 600Wh+ ??? Though I have no idea how fast the SCUC normally ride. 

And remember that the excessive heat will also mean that I will be trying to ride with a parasol - and again I have no idea what impact that will have (other than making me look awesome).

I'm thinking my upgrade will be to an 18" wheel (or maybe 22"), and I currently ride a 16" - so I'm looking forward to try anything available. But I'm not too keen for a 14" wheel as I don't know how it would work with a full load. 

Oh, I have plans that afternoon (I could do morning), I'll see you guys on the next one.

FYI, I'm thinking of doing an urban ride downtown L.A.. I had to go there today, then I had free time after, so I explored a bit on my EUC, and it's pretty fun, cool parks, and buildings. Totally a different perspective than driving or walking.

Traffic was a bit heavy, but it was wednesday at lunch-time. I think if we go on the weekend it shouldn't be too bad as today, plus it's mostly bike lanes. Let me know what you guys think.

16 minutes ago, noisycarlos said:

Oh, I have plans that afternoon (I could do morning), I'll see you guys on the next one.

FYI, I'm thinking of doing an urban ride downtown L.A.. I had to go there today, then I had free time after, so I explored a bit on my EUC, and it's pretty fun, cool parks, and buildings. Totally a different perspective than driving or walking.

Traffic was a bit heavy, but it was wednesday at lunch-time. I think if we go on the weekend it shouldn't be too bad as today, plus it's mostly bike lanes. Let me know what you guys think.

I'm up for it. Plan the route and we'll go from there

21 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Ill probably show up too with my fat 2.5" acm. Just to see what kinda trouble Marty runs into this time ?

Well at least we know that if @Marty Backe brings his monster and forgets to take his daily supplement of Flintstones Chewables like he did on the Cogswell ride that we won't be out of cell phone service.:D

16 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Well at least we know that if @Marty Backe brings his monster and forgets to take his daily supplement of Flintstones Chewables like he did on the Cogswell ride that we won't be out of cell phone service.:D

Better bring your backup radio, cell phone coverage is pretty crappy in spots.

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Better bring your backup radio, cell phone coverage is pretty crappy in spots.

The "Backe back up kit" is almost complete.It contains 2 waters 500ml,2 cans of Insure 500ml,12 tablets of Flintstones chewable vitamins including 6 of the high energy "Dino" purple tablet,1 GPS tracker with satellite communication,and a KS-14c to get you out when the "GetoffwayTM" Monster decides to take a crap.Let me know if there is anything I overlooked.:o

Just now, jrkline said:

The "Backe back up kit" is almost complete.It contains 2 waters 500ml,2 cans of Insure 500ml,12 tablets of Flintstones chewable vitamins including 6 of the high energy "Dino" purple tablet,1 GPS tracker with satellite communication,and a KS-14c to get you out when the "GetoffwayTM" Monster decides to take a crap.Let me know if there is anything I overlooked.:o

:roflmao:

2 hours ago, jrkline said:

You forgot flares, to signal rescue helicopters.

@noisycarlos I live in DTLA so might be down for a weekend ride whenever you guys wanna do it. I know the streets pretty well. Some of them are kind of crappy but there are some fun rides and it's MUCH better than driving anywhere here.

FYI for anyone riding in DTLA -- ride in the street. Sidewalk is terrifyingly dangerous. Cars see you in the streets so they yield. On the sidewalks people never see you and it's always a guessing game of which car is going to hit you.

Archived