EUC/ ACM Test Rig Failure

Rehab1

Day one on the fabrication of the EUC test rig. I will be using the Gotway ACM 1600 for the test runs. 

The fabrication of the rig should only last 1 week (famous last words). There will be a number of structural elements added to the rig as I proceed. Once complete a 2 channel temperature data logger will be installed with probes place directly next to the 3 motor wire bullet connectors and also the mosfets. In addition to the sensors various ropes will be used to simulate speed bumps. 

Here is the first test without any structural integrity added.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Day one on the fabrication of the EUC test rig. I will be using the Gotway ACM 1600 for the test runs. 

The fabrication of the rig should only last 1 week (famous last words). There will be a number of structural elements added to the rig as I proceed. Once complete a 2 channel temperature data logger will be installed with probes place directly next to the 3 motor wire bullet connectors and also the mosfets. In addition to the sensors various ropes will be used to simulate speed bumps. 

Here is the first test without any structural integrity added.

Awesome work you are doing, your wheel sounds pretty strong.  Great ideas for stabilizing the wheel and logging the temps.

8 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Awesome work you are doing, your wheel sounds pretty strong.  Great ideas for stabilizing the wheel and logging the temps.

Many thanks! I have really gotten behind on my patients today working on this contraption but still lots of fun!:)

32 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I was totally being sarcastic with the treadmill post and you actually made it.

Ah man.....can I quit now?:P

4 minutes ago, steve454 said:

He built his own helicopter and flew it,   this is probably a piece of cake.

They both crashed so don't put a lot of stock in me.;)

13 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

One thing I've learned - never doubt @Rehab1's resolve to get the job done!  :thumbup:  The guy's got to be the coolest pediatric orthotics practitioner in the country.  :efee6b18f3:

:facepalm:   <_<

Thanks! When the rig is complete the weak link in chain will be the treadmill belt. I have applied silicone lubricant under the belt to reduce friction by these belts were not designed to travel at high speeds. I also have concerns of premature belt wear being that the ACM will be stationary on the treadmill with a pillow block structure. I may have to develop some sort of slide mechanism that will allow the wheel to travel back and forth across the belt to prevent a hot spot from developing on the metal plate beneath the belt's surface. One step at a time.

You're crazy. But in a good way:)

Also, you seem to have some leeway how you do your job:D

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

He built two helicopters and flew them, this is probably a piece of cake.

Were these kits or what? I see no excuse why somebody could build 2 helicopters but not build their own EUC;)

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You're crazy. But in a good way:)

You are on the same page as my wife but not in a good way.

Were these kits or what? I see no excuse why somebody could build 2 helicopters but not build their own EUC;)

One kit was a Rotorway and the other a Safari (formally called the Baby Bell). One crash, actually a contolled auotrotation until I hit corn stalks, was my error for not providing enough air space and heat shielding between the radiator hose and the muffler. The other controlled crash  resulted because the factory provided me with a defective RPM gauge.

I do have some regrets building the Safari that ended in the death of the pilot and passenger. This was due to pilot error but it still leaves me with a bitter taste when I reflect back.

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You are on the same page as my wife but not in a good way.

Sorry, my English is failing. Does that mean I said something wrong but your wife would agree with me; or does it mean your wife is (unlike me) not too happy about what you're doing?

Sorry, my English is failing. Does that mean I said something wrong but your wife would agree with me; or does it mean your wife is (unlike me) not too happy about what you're doing?

My wife would definitely agree with you on the crazy aspect and she can be unhappy at times about my hobbies. :angry: She has mellowed over the years. :)

I meant crazy as in crazy enthusiastic, sorry if it came off as sounding bad or anything. I'm 100% in support of your efforts. Not sure if there's a better word. Just impressed by the efforts you go through, from the ACM autopsy story and all the mods to this. And all the money these cost, adds up...

Does your wife have hobbies? If not, she can't complain, and if yes, if you support her in hers...

...though maybe still better keeping the stuff in your workplace (apparently the ramp is there too):D

9 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I meant crazy as in crazy enthusiastic, sorry if it came off as sounding bad or anything. I'm 100% in support of your efforts. Not sure if there's a better word. Just impressed by the efforts you go through, from the ACM autopsy story and all the mods to this. And all the money these cost, adds up...

Does your wife have hobbies? If not, she can't complain, and if yes, if you support her in hers...

...though maybe still better keeping the stuff in your workplace (apparently the ramp is there too):D

I think Mrs Rehab1's main hobbies are keeping @Rehab1 alive, and out of trouble!

Or is that just one hobby? 

16 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I think Mrs Rehab1's main hobbies are keeping @Rehab1 alive, and out of trouble!

Or is that just one hobby? 

Mrs. Rehab puts up with a lot. That is why I love her!

Not a great deal of action on fabricating the rig the last two days as parts are being obtained, parts are being sent back, more parts are ordered....you get the idea.;) Luckily my company has an account with a supply firm that has everything I will ever need.

My ACM pedals will be significantly modified during this project so I ordered a new set from Jason so I can ride the ACM afterwards. The current pedals will need to be machined so they are level. This means eliminating the upward angle so there is no bind between the pillow block bearings and connective shaft. The pillow blocks will be bolted to the bottom of the pedals with a 5/8" steel shaft connecting the pedals to another pillow block attached to T-member uprights. This will keep the ACM from wavering side to side on the treadmill as I increase the speed but the design will still allow the pedals to more fore and aft to control the speed. 

Bolting everything together should be fairly uneventful once I feel comfortable with the structure. The long holiday weekend will set me back but that's Ok. I am not in any hurry. Here is a photo showing some of the components including the pillow block bearings, uprights, cross members, 2x4s (not sure where they go yet:))  Also the temperature data wires still need to be installed next to the motor wire connectors and mosfets. 

This week long project will take a bit longer than I originally estimated but hopefully we will be able to gain some insight into the temperature issues of the mosfets, motor wires/connectors and also testing the new firmware updates.

cx9wWLl.jpg 

31 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Not a great deal of action on fabricating the rig the last two days as parts are being obtained, parts are being sent back, more parts are ordered....you get the idea.;) Luckily my company has an account with a supply firm that has everything I will ever need.

My ACM pedals will be significantly modified during this project so I ordered a new set from Jason so I can ride the ACM afterwards. The current pedals will need to be machined so they are level. This means eliminating the upward angle so there is no bind between the pillow block bearings and connective shaft. The pillow blocks will be bolted to the bottom of the pedals with a 5/8" steel shaft connecting the pedals to another pillow block attached to T-member uprights. This will keep the ACM from wavering side to side on the treadmill as I increase the speed but the design will still allow the pedals to more fore and aft to control the speed. 

Bolting everything together should be fairly uneventful once I feel comfortable with the structure. The long holiday weekend will set me back but that's Ok. I am not in any hurry. Here is a photo showing some of the components including the pillow block bearings, uprights, cross members, 2x4s (not sure where they go yet:))  Also the temperature data wires still need to be installed next to the motor wire connectors and mosfets. 

This week long project will take a bit longer than I originally estimated but hopefully we will be able to gain some insight into the temperature issues of the mosfets, motor wires/connectors and also testing the new firmware updates.

cx9wWLl.jpg 

If you take off the belt, it would only be rollers.  Like the ones they used to use to unload trucks.  And then as the speed changed, the wheel would jump from roller to roller.

22 hours ago, steve454 said:

If you take off the belt, it would only be rollers.  Like the ones they used to use to unload trucks.  And then as the speed changed, the wheel would jump from roller to roller.

Treadmills have a very smooth sheet metal base beneath the track. Silicone lubricant is generously applied between the track and the metal surface to reduce friction. The only rollers on the equipment are located in the front and back of the treadmill.

In order to simulate a @Marty Backe curb bump I will be using various thicknesses of rope and PVC pipe. The technique will be straight forward: quickly pull the rope over the surface of the track and under my ACM. This will require a second person who will be holding both ends of the rope. On command they will deliberately yank the rope beneath my wheel while I'm riding it. A simply analogy, think of a table cloth beginning pull out from under a set of dishes. Of course sometimes the dishes break. :(

There we be slow and careful practice sessions throughout the course of testing the rig to gain some appreciation of the characteristics and interaction between the treadmill, the ACM and the rope before any significant speed is introduced. What's nice is I have the option to bail out simply by lifting my body up onto the paralllel bars if something does go wrong. Additionally the ACM will always remain balanced and secure being it is attached to a sturdy pillow block structure. At least that is the plan.:)

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Treadmills have a very smooth sheet metal base beneath the track. Silicone lubricant is generously applied between the track and the metal surface to reduce friction. The only rollers on the equipment are located in the front and back of the treadmill.

I didn't know that:pooping:  In any case, it looks like you have thought it out and it looks like a good plan!:thumbup::popcorn:

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

In order to simulate a @Marty Backe curb bump I will be using various thicknesses of rope and PVC pipe. The technique will be straight forward: Quickly pull the rope over the surface of the track and under my ACM. This will require a second person who will be holding both ends of the rope. On command they will deliberately yank the rope beneath my wheel while I'm riding it. A simply analogy: Think of a table cloth beginning pull out from under a set of dishes. Of course sometimes the dishes break. :(

There we be slow and careful practice sessions to gain some appreciation of the characteristics and interaction between the treadmill, the ACM and the rope before any significant speed is introduced. What's nice is I have the option to bail out simply by lifting my body up onto the paralllel bars if something does go wrong. Additionally the ACM will always remain balanced and secure being it is attached to a sturdy pillow block structure. At least that is the plan.:)

Ahem, let's get the terminology correct please. It's the Marty Backe Curb BumpTM

I can't wait to see this in operation. Sounds like absolutely nothing could go wrong ;)

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Ahem, let's get the terminology correct please. It's the Marty Backe Curb BumpTM

You are beginning to sound just like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Mr BrokeBacke.:P

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Sounds like absolutely nothing could go wrong ;)

You just jinxed me!:o

Archived