My new MSuper V3s+ and Gotway Screwed Us

33 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

One thing I noticed in the video was the board tends to scrape the ground on hills.

I thought it was pretty cool where it was all scraped up. It looked like it was just part of riding it and it definitely looked like it took way more energy and effort.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, swvision said:

What happened to your Msuper @Marty Backe? bring it to the GTG I want to try and see what the oscillation is, might just be a normal thing. I dont take curbs at 20mph. I slow down a great deal in fact before I take dips or sudden inclines. 

In hindsight I probably wasn't even traveling at 15mph when I went up that curb. I was certainly not going excessively fast.

You know how fast we ride down some of the those hills at Griffith Park. All I need is to hit a small divot or bump and have it cut-out on me. I still may bring it if it's fixed by then but otherwise I don't think I'm going to ride it or allow others to ride it.

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I researched this for quite awhile and finally pulled the trigger after my last crash. They aren't cheap, but they may be the best. Of course I haven't used them yet so I can't attest to their quality or comfort (I can probably do so during the upcoming weekend).

Demon Flexmeter Double-Sided Wrist Guard

s-l300.jpg

I was about to buy them from Amazon when I saw that REI had them on clearance, $25 cheaper: REI Clearance Link

I use these, they're really great, only problem is that it's hard to grab anything with the skid plates on, but I still use the plates and it's doable, for example I can dig a phone from my pocket and use the app while riding, but takes a little getting used to. Sold as double-sided "Docmeter" in some places, if you can't find it under "Demon Flexmeter" -name, it's the same wristguard.

IFFyfO3.png

Bought mine gearcheck.fi from a couple of years back, but it seems they don't sell any wrist guards anymore  :blink1:  EDIT: Gearcheck is now "Jam in the box":  http://en.jaminthebox.com/product/668/demon-flexmeter-wrist-guard-double-sided Probably available for cheaper elsewhere (especially if you live outside EU)

1 hour ago, esaj said:

I use these, they're really great, only problem is that it's hard to grab anything with the skid plates on, but I still use the plates and it's doable, for example I can dig a phone from my pocket and use the app while riding, but takes a little getting used to. Sold as double-sided "Docmeter" in some places, if you can't find it under "Demon Flexmeter" -name, it's the same wristguard.

IFFyfO3.png

Bought mine gearcheck.fi from a couple of years back, but it seems they don't sell any wrist guards anymore  :blink1:  EDIT: Gearcheck is now "Jam in the box":  http://en.jaminthebox.com/product/668/demon-flexmeter-wrist-guard-double-sided Probably available for cheaper elsewhere (especially if you live outside EU)

Good to hear. I'm really looking forward to having these, especially as I test my 'fixed' MSuper. Do they get in the way of grabbing a pole as you're waiting to cross a street, etc.?

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Good to hear. I'm really looking forward to having these, especially as I test my 'fixed' MSuper. Do they get in the way of grabbing a pole as you're waiting to cross a street, etc.?

I don't grab poles, but just tried with a spool of thread (about as thick as the traffic sign poles here), can do. 

cBf5Qzy.png

The skid plates can be removed, they're attached by velcro, probably then it's (almost) as easy to handle things as with gloves (the protectors limit your wrist movement somewhat, but that's kind of the point ;)). They aren't in the middle of your palm but closer towards the wrist. However, I do remember that at first I had more trouble grabbing things, guess I'm more used to handling stuff with them on nowadays.

27 minutes ago, esaj said:

I don't grab poles, but just tried with a spool of thread (about as thick as the traffic sign poles here), can do. 

cBf5Qzy.png

The skid plates can be removed, they're attached by velcro, probably then it's (almost) as easy to handle things as with gloves (the protectors limit your wrist movement somewhat, but that's kind of the point ;)). They aren't in the middle of your palm but closer towards the wrist. However, I do remember that at first I had more trouble grabbing things, guess I'm more used to handling stuff with them on nowadays.

This is great. You've reaffirmed my thought that I was buying some really nice protection. BTW, since we're on the subject, have you used them yet - fallen in such a way that they protected your hands and/or wrist?

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is great. You've reaffirmed my thought that I was buying some really nice protection. BTW, since we're on the subject, have you used them yet - fallen in such a way that they protected your hands and/or wrist?

Not any really hard slams, but I've taken a fall with them 3 times, hands first, the skid plates took the worst hits. No sore wrists or much damage, lost a bit of skin on a finger once :P  The skid plates are a bit scratched around the edges, otherwise no damage to the protectors either, don't know if replacement skid plates are available, probably? There's no protection for your fingers, but I've taken my falls with "open hands", not that I've practiced to do so, but it seems to come naturally (at least for me). If your hand is clenched in a fist, then it might be a different story... but after all, they're wrist protectors, not hand/finger protectors ;)

I'd say they're comfortable, relatively easy to put on and take off (probably not at first, but after you get used to them), but I guess they could make your hands sweat in hotter weather. In colder weather, I've worn thin woollen gloves under them, they still fit. Also, take care not to overtighten them, I did that at first and it felt like they blocked the circulation in my hands somewhat after a while, not nice :D

21 minutes ago, esaj said:

Not any really hard slams, but I've taken a fall with them 3 times, hands first, the skid plates took the worst hits. No sore wrists or much damage, lost a bit of skin on a finger once :P  The skid plates are a bit scratched around the edges, otherwise no damage to the protectors either, don't know if replacement skid plates are available, probably? There's no protection for your fingers, but I've taken my falls with "open hands", not that I've practiced to do so, but it seems to come naturally (at least for me). If your hand is clenched in a fist, then it might be a different story... but after all, they're wrist protectors, not hand/finger protectors ;)

I'd say they're comfortable, relatively easy to put on and take off (probably not at first, but after you get used to them), but I guess they could make your hands sweat in hotter weather. In colder weather, I've worn thin woollen gloves under them, they still fit. Also, take care not to overtighten them, I did that at first and it felt like they blocked the circulation in my hands somewhat after a while, not nice :D

Thanks @esaj :thumbup:

1 hour ago, esaj said:

That sounds really awesome.

It's very good that you can remove a skid-plate, like when you hold an actioncam on a stick :) - but most of the time, having a skid-plate is a big plus.

10 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

That sounds really awesome.

It's very good that you can remove a skid-plate, like when you hold an actioncam on a stick :) - but most of the time, having a skid-plate is a big plus.

Yeah, it does seem the whole point of having them is to use them.

22 hours ago, swvision said:

What happened to your Msuper @Marty Backe? bring it to the GTG I want to try and see what the oscillation is, might just be a normal thing. I dont take curbs at 20mph. I slow down a great deal in fact before I take dips or sudden inclines. 

In Marty's oscillation video, that was completely normal riding that absolutely should not cause a bad reaction in the wheel.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:30 PM, Dingfelder said:

They look a lot like the hillbilly style in terms of a rigid, back-leaning palm plate making it impossible to lean against anything without either catching yourself on and potentially dangerously hyper-extending the fingers and thumb (I'm nursing an injury from that now) or landing with a whack on the palm plate.  They feel to me like they'd be good for a hard impact, but for nothing else.

I was so afraid to damage stuff by coming into contacting it that I was constantly catching myself on my fingertips and wound up making my thumb quite sore all the way down to the wrist.

When you get yours, ,please let us know if you can still, say, lean against a wall or still use your hand in an ordinary way ... or something close to that.  Thanks!

I just received my Demon Flexmeter Double-Sided Wrist Guards. Wow, they exude quality and feel great when worn. I'm going to feel indestructible now when I'm out riding :D

I'm still going to make a little video this weekend about these guards and my other safety equipment.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm going to feel indestructible now when I'm out riding :D

Whatever the wrist guards I had, I can still feel my ribs from friday firmware crash. Not much that can be done to protect theses. :o

5 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Order one or two size larger. They run small.  Ebay. 

IMG_1486.PNG

IMG_1487.PNG

Yes. I ordered one from Aliex... size XXXL and it was too small. My size is M or L here in Europe. I gave it to one teenage moto cross boy.

53 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Order one or two size larger. They run small.  Ebay. 

IMG_1486.PNG

IMG_1487.PNG

I gotta say, it looks cool. The cost is low enough, I may try one.

Be careful with some of the AliExpress stuff, especially the plastic hinged knee protectors.  I bought a set, and the plastic rivets popped out even before I had a chance to wear that.  That plus the foam was super thin so overall they looked good on the webpage, but they were useless and a waste of money.

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Be careful with some of the AliExpress stuff, especially the plastic hinged knee protectors.  I bought a set, and the plastic rivets popped out even before I had a chance to wear that.  That plus the foam was super thin so overall they looked good on the webpage, but they were useless and a waste of money.

Maybe a classic case of "you get what you pay for". Hmmm.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, Marty Backe said:

I'm still going to make a little video this weekend about these guards and my other safety equipment.

As part of the video could you see if it is still feasible to pick up a wheel by the handle with these on or if you have to remove the plate to do so. If so... how easy is it to remove the plate. Just separate the velcro mentioned earlier?

Archived