My new MSuper V3s+ and Gotway Screwed Us

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Yeah that guy's like some kinda Zen Yoga master rider.  Notice no helmet, wrist guards, or any protection whatsoever.  :blink:  I'm sure Jason is thrilled that some of his customers are putting their wheels through the torture test.  He's probably thinking please please please let the wheel survive until the warranty runs out...  :lol:  Did yours cutout as well?  I thought maybe it was just the oscillations that threw you off?

Hopefully with future models they will make heavier duty axles (larger diameter) and indestructible pedals so you can do almost anything with them.  There's plenty of space for larger bearings and axles.  They just need to take that redesign step and evolve the wheel.

No, the cutout is what threw me from the wheel. In the slo-mo version you can hear the single shutdown beep and then I fall and then the wheel falls to the side and starts the "falling" beeping.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I need to work on my stretching so that I too can ride one legged while holding my other leg above my head :blink1: 

The last time I heard that from some one I know, he busted his balls while trying.......

Post a video after you finish stretching, I would love to see you riding on one leg while holding your other leg above your head.

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No, the cutout is what threw me from the wheel. In the slo-mo version you can hear the single shutdown beep and then I fall and then the wheel falls to the side and starts the "falling" beeping.

That's interesting.  Maybe the wheel during its rearward oscillation movement exceeded the allowable current draw resulting in the overcurrent beep and shutdown.   Were you logging with Gyrometrics or Wheelog?  It would be good to see some telemetry before the crash.  I always try to log my rides so I can review things afterwards.  It also acts like a black box if something happens.

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That's interesting.  Maybe the wheel during its forward oscillation movement exceeded the allowable current draw resulting in the overcurrent beep and shutdown.   Were you logging with Gyrometrics or Wheelog?  It would be good to see some telemetry before the crash.  I always try to log my rides so I can review things afterwards.  It also acts like a black box if something happens.

No, I never log that info during my rides. The overcurrent shutting down the wheel seems consistent with what Gotway say they changed - something to help reduce current draw and wire melting.

17 minutes ago, Goodman said:

The last time I heard that from some one I know, he busted his balls while trying.......

Post a video after you finish stretching, I would love to see you riding on one leg while holding your other leg above your head.

:roflmao:

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I can do it but I really try and avoid those unnecessary stresses on the wheel. Seems common sense to me that it can't be the best thing for the wheel, especially when you've paid $2k for a it.

Yeah, I certainly won't risk an investment like that ... and more important one that can kill me if something goes even a little bit wrong.

I'll echo the wish I saw expressed here thought that they just build thicker axles.  Short as they are, thickening them even a little would make them noticeably stronger.  

I feel a bit jealous when I see folks doing potentially axle-jarring stunts and have to keep in mind that that's probably verboten.

40 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Hopefully with future models they will make heavier duty axles (larger diameter) and indestructible pedals so you can do almost anything with them.  There's plenty of space for larger bearings and axles.  They just need to take that redesign step and evolve the wheel.

Yep yep! 

All talk about tricks and unusual stuff aside ... I'm just all for anything that makes the wheels more durable, too.  These are too expensive to  be disposable to me.

I am the lucky one whi gets tge oscillation in low speed and in any mode. Soft middle hard doesnt matter.

When i get my wheel back i will test it with a belt or string on the handle of the msuper and with full protection in higher speed. Then riding over bumps. And hoping that it will be ok. But it will take alot time to ger confident with the wheel.

I know my ks16 is safe, never had problems but since the msuper issue i had i realize that i am scary to ride higher speed also on ks16. Sad.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:36 PM, Marty Backe said:

I think the video says it all. I could wheel the wheel start oscillating (for a fraction of a second) before I was thrown from the wheel. Hard to describe, but I think those of us who have experienced understand the sensation. There is zero warning. I've ridden over stuff like this all the time.

Guess I just don't like wrist guards :( I would have have some bloody knees for sure without the knee pads. Everything happened so fast (as you can see), it's hard to deconstruct what happened.

Glad you were able to run it off.  @4:41, right when the crash happened, i'll try to find a way to slow it down. But it looks like it got some air, landed on the upper incline lip.  So you were going from a 0 plane, to a 5-7degree plane within a split second.  It looks like the wheel was trying to 'center',  I'm not sure if its a processor performance issue, or if it's a software/bug loop cycle issue (I'm guessing here that the sensors are similar to RC, where there is a sample rate). i've flown my quads where there were similar oscillation due to the flight control sensor bugging out, which i tossed, due to assumed damage from multiple crashes.

For riders like you guys,  Would be nice if Gotway allowed data logging,  not sure if they have a debug mode you can run as a sample while riding.  Your runnoff reminds me of the confidence i had the last 2 accidents that were similar.. but i was just overleaning  :ph34r:.  Glad your ok man!

4 minutes ago, SeattleAbarth said:

Glad you were able to run it off.  @4:41, right when the crash happened, i'll try to find a way to slow it down. But it looks like it got some air, landed on the upper incline lip.  So you were going from a 0 plane, to a 5-7degree plane within a split second.  It looks like the wheel was trying to 'center',  I'm not sure if its a processor performance issue, or if it's a software/bug loop cycle issue (I'm guessing here that the sensors are similar to RC, where there is a sample rate). i've flown my quads where there were similar oscillation due to the flight control sensor bugging out, which i tossed, due to assumed damage from multiple crashes.

For riders like you guys,  Would be nice if Gotway allowed data logging,  not sure if they have a debug mode you can run as a sample while riding.  Your runnoff reminds me of the confidence i had the last 2 accidents that were similar.. but i was just overleaning  :ph34r:.  Glad your ok man!

On the bottom of page 5 of this thread is a slow motion vid of the crash. Unfortunately I ran it off for a few seconds and then did a roll (watch my legs in the slo-mo version). My hand is starting to heal, but thanks, I'm basically OK. Hopefully I'll be riding my re-flashed wheel by the weekend.

1 hour ago, SeattleAbarth said:

Aye. Thanks, seeing it in slow motion...  you got some air for a split second.  Does th ACM have suspension?   It traveled in its case a bit to during the bump transition.

No, but suspension would be nice. Probably just the tire compressing.

8 minutes ago, Puce said:

Hope the dealers will get the flashing tools before the week-end.

Glad your hand is going better @Marty Backe, let us know when your wheel is flashed.

Do you have an IronMan Armor for the first rides ?

I did just buy some really nice wrist guards. This is the 3rd time I've messed up my hands and I'd like to make it the last time.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I did just buy some really nice wrist guards. This is the 3rd time I've messed up my hands and I'd like to make it the last time.

Which ones did you get?  I'm not liking my hillbilly ones as much as I'd hoped.  I can't use my hands for anything but crashing with them on.

15 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Which ones did you get?  I'm not liking my hillbilly ones as much as I'd hoped.  I can't use my hands for anything but crashing with them on.

I researched this for quite awhile and finally pulled the trigger after my last crash. They aren't cheap, but they may be the best. Of course I haven't used them yet so I can't attest to their quality or comfort (I can probably do so during the upcoming weekend).

Demon Flexmeter Double-Sided Wrist Guard

s-l300.jpg

INFO-LAYERS-flexmeter-png.png

I was about to buy them from Amazon when I saw that REI had them on clearance, $25 cheaper: REI Clearance Link

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I researched this for quite awhile and finally pulled the trigger after my last crash. They aren't cheap, but they may be the best. Of course I haven't used them yet so I can't attest to their quality or comfort (I can probably do so during the upcoming weekend).

Demon Flexmeter Double-Sided Wrist Guard

s-l300.jpg

INFO-LAYERS-flexmeter-png.png

I was about to buy them from Amazon when I saw that REI had them on clearance, $25 cheaper: REI Clearance Link

Those look good.  So, you'll be riding a Monster with Demon wrist protectors.  They kind of go together.

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Those look good.  So, you'll be riding a Monster with Demon wrist protectors.  They kind of go together.

:D

I would be interested if you made a video how they fit on the hand. How far forward they protect etc. I'm still thinking how my ideal hand guards would look and if those even exist. Would like some that protect more of the forward of the palm. In the end, #1 thing they need to do is dampen a strong impact right on the lower palm, without slipping back or pinching the fingers. Wrist support comes after that (but might also be an important part).

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I would be interested if you made a video how they fit on the hand. How far forward they protect etc. I'm still thinking how my ideal hand guards would look and if those even exist. Would like some that protect more of the forward of the palm. In the end, #1 thing they need to do is dampen a strong impact right on the lower palm, without slipping back or pinching the fingers. Wrist support comes after that (but might also be an important part).

Good topic for a video. When I get them I think I'll post a general video on all my safety gear. I can tell you that my knee pads have probably gotten the most use.

Nice idea with the safety gear video.

Big knee pads are also hard to find. These small rollerskating ones need to fit exactly to be in the right position in an impact. A little slip and they are no longer over the knee. Looking for bigger ones too.

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice idea with the safety gear video.

Big knee pads are also hard to find. These small rollerskating ones need to fit exactly to be in the right position in an impact. A little slip and they are no longer over the knee. Looking for bigger ones too.

I bought these and have been very happy. They never slip down my arms or legs, and have held up great over the last 11 months. They have prevented countless injuries. Comfortable too.

71VsgMyuSxL._SL1200_.jpg

Amazon Link

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good topic for a video. When I get them I think I'll post a general video on all my safety gear. I can tell you that my knee pads have probably gotten the most use.

Every time I watch one of your videos, I keep thinking how much safer it looks to have the knee and elbow pads.  Think I'm going to Amazon and order some.  @meepmeepmayer thanks for reposting the link.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. I fixed the original link too.

i have exactly the same kneepads and ellbowpads..but from another company (K2 Skate)....but looks are one to one the same...

And the best i ever had !

Archived