V5F+ or V8. Help me decide.

WARPed1701D

So I have set my pedal level to 3 degree tilt back. Many have said this feels good for them but when taking a corner I notice what feels like my feet pitching forward...way forward. And then it feels like once I come out the turn then over the next few seconds the tilt back to 3 degrees returns (it isn't immediate). I've heard people talk about this pitching forward sensation so I know it is normal but is there a way to alleviate it...or am I just imagining it all?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

So I have set my pedal level to 3 degree tilt back. Many have said this feels good for them but when taking a corner I notice what feels like my feet pitching forward...way forward. And then it feels like once I come out the turn then over the next few seconds the tilt back to 3 degrees returns (it isn't immediate). I've heard people talk about this pitching forward sensation so I know it is normal but is there a way to alleviate it...or am I just imagining it all?

You might be overthinking things a bit worrying about pedal settings.  At your stage of learning to ride, just take the defaults and concentrate on learning how to make them work.  You can get fancy later.  Your video looks pretty much exactly like what the rest of us went through in the early days.  You're fine.  Just keep after it, and maybe don't try to video what you are doing while you are trying to do it just yet.  One thing at a time.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Some Euc's have this behaviour, that in the curves the pedals are dipping forward....so no, you are not just imagining this!

On KS and GW you can get this effect away, or reduce it to a minumum, by doing a very proper calibration.

On the calibration take attention that your wheel is perfectly horizontal AND vertical aligned.

But i have to say, that i dont know how this "curve dipping" behaviour is in general on the Inmotion-V8, perhaps it is always there?! Some riders have no problem to adjust to this and say its normal, i have problems when driving a dipping wheel, as my own wheels thankfully dont have this weird behavior ....

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Most v5f+ users have it on -3, not 3....have a full experiment of the different options. Looking good though!

Ps. Your accent, have aussie half english? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Most v5f+ users have it on -3, not 3....have a full experiment of the different options. Looking good though!

Ps. Your accent, have aussie half english? 

Maybe I'll set the pedal angle back to 0 for now and see what it does for the pitching forward. Then try -3 later on.

All English accent but been in the US 9 years so I'm sure there is an effect that's been so gradual I don't notice it. Originally from Chelmsford, Essex for the first 30 years of my life..

• Upvote 1

@WARPed1701D Cool.

"Something got wired up overnight" Yep that's exactly what happens when learning. Next day, you did nothing but are much better.

Also you're pretty good with holding a phone and even panning down That is hard and distracting, especially for a new rider.

10 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

P.P.S Excuse my disheveled appearance. I had just cycled home from work and was feeling pretty nasty!

You're showing the problem you're in the process of solving:D

• Upvote 3

I don't know if the Inmotion has intentional pedal dipping in curves, but that stuff is highly counterproductive. Everything's good, until suddenly the wheel says "fuck you" and goes crazy.

I still can't do curves confidently just because the dipping (before I got rid of it) stopped me from trying more and is still on my mind because I learned curves the wrong way.

See if you can get rid of it, it's really extremely counterproductive and you don't want to learn wrongly and then that crap sticks (like for me).

If it's like on the Gotways, doing a recalibration where the wheel is exactly vertical in all directions (sideways!) might get rid of the dipping (as @KingSong69 already mentioned).

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Here you go. I'll give you all a laugh...

No laughing matter. We have all been there, done that! Great job!  Just watch have fast you'll learn over the next few days. Congratulations!:cheers:

Edited by Rehab1

The reaction to the dipping pedal problem (DPP) is to fiddle with your wheel angle but the solution of the DPP is to take more turns more often.

The DPP is caused by riders leaning backwards during the turn. Taking a turn at a constant speed does not cause the pedal to dip. Notice the DPP feels exactly like when you lean backwards.

• Upvote 1

Not sure we mean the same thing. The pedals suddenly dipping forward in curves is definitely happening in reality, and not just perceptional or due to riding style. You can even feel it after curves, when the pedal slowly goes horizontal again (which you can speed up by doing a quick brake+accelerate). If that's supposed a feature, it's the most counterproductive feature ever. If it's just a bug like on the Gotways (as it goes away after a proper calibration, can't be intentional) it's an extremely annoying one.

Not sure if the V8/Inmotions have other, unrelated pedal behavior.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure we mean the same thing. The pedals suddenly dipping forward in curves is definitely happening in reality, and not just perceptional or due to riding style. You can even feel it after curves, when the pedal slowly goes horizontal again (which you can speed up by doing a quick brake+accelerate). If that's supposed a feature, it's the most counterproductive feature ever. If it's just a bug like on the Gotways (as it goes away after a proper calibration, can't be intentional) it's an extremely annoying one.

Not sure if the V8/Inmotions have other, unrelated pedal behavior.

You can easily test all of this by firing up the Inmotion application, cruising to a set speed, and then making a constant speed turn as confirmed by the speedometer.

I suspected some months ago my lying cheating body was feeling something different from reality as I tried to duplicate the DPP by spinning my V5F by hand, and no such problem was observed.

A negative can't be proven, though, and if my wheel exhibits no DPP does not mean your wheel behaves the same way.

But yes, the DPP, severe when I was a beginner, was all just a mere figment of my imagination.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

So I have set my pedal level to 3 degree tilt back.

As far as the pedals dipping, my ninebot does that also, the slower and sharper the turn, the more noticeable.  I don't notice it going around shallow curves only low speed sharp turns.  Saw your video, you rode a long way and had the turn, but maybe slowed down to step off speed just before you headed back.  You can ride pretty good already, especially filming at the same time.:o  But to get back on topic, try turning the wheel around and ride it that way once of twice, before you set it back to zero.  See how it feels in a straight line,  if you don't like it just turn the wheel around again, it's kind of fun to see what a difference it can be.  It doesn't seem to matter which way the ninebot is facing when I ride, but right now the pedals are not level, and even doing the app calibration, it doesn't feel level so I ride it turned around backwards with the power button in back.  Might be my shoes are sloped, though.:mellow:

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Maybe I'll set the pedal angle back to 0 for now and see what it does for the pitching forward. Then try -3 later on.

All English accent but been in the US 9 years so I'm sure there is an effect that's been so gradual I don't notice it. Originally from Chelmsford, Essex for the first 30 years of my life..

"Well, I could do without the house-swallowing sinkholes, but there's just not enough alligators and hurricanes around Essex for my liking!"

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There are several ways to turn.  One is the lean I mentioned, two is just turning at your waist in the direction you want, third is applying more weight to one foot and lifting up slightly on the other foot (bend knee up), fourth is swivel twist pressure at the lower legs.

The variety of options is one of the things that makes riding an EUC hard to learn, for me anyway.  I'm moving about instinctively in some odd and perhaps never to be repeated random combinations of all those methods because there isn't just one right way or just one way to get it wrong.  Confusing!  To the body and the mind.  Mine, anyway.

• Upvote 2

Lots of cool comments here about the pedal dip which I thank you all greatly for and will checkout in detail later on, but until then I present Day 3....have at it!

WARNING....lots of shots of asphalt but stick with it. The last minute is pretty...until I fall off.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

The variety of options is one of the things that makes riding an EUC hard to learn, for me anyway.  I'm moving about instinctively in some odd and perhaps never to be repeated random combinations of all those methods because there isn't just one right way or just one way to get it wrong.  Confusing!  To the body and the mind.  Mine, anyway.

I don't know.  Most of the methods of turning seem to involve shifting more weight to the pedal pointing in the direction of the intended turn.  Whether you do it explicitly, do it effectively by leaning into the turn, or do it to keep from falling on your butt after you twist from the core, you are really doing the same thing.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, radial said:

I don't know.  Most of the methods of turning seem to involve shifting more weight to the pedal pointing in the direction of the intended turn.  Whether you do it explicitly, do it effectively by leaning into the turn, or do it to keep from falling on your butt after you twist from the core, you are really doing the same thing.  

You can keep the weight about the same on both pedals by pointing the wheel in the opposite direction you intend to lean. It kicks the wheel out from under you and you fall into the turn with little body movement.

This is my preferred turn because there seems to be no pressure on my knees. The bend the knee to turn method always feels like it puts too much pressure on my inner knee and I don't like it. It also feels my inner foot tips from all the weight.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Lots of cool comments here about the pedal dip which I thank you all greatly for and will checkout in detail later on, but until then I present Day 3....have at it!

WARNING....lots of shots of asphalt but stick with it. The last minute is pretty...until I fall off.

I hope you are properly proud of yourself.  That's an awesome leap forward in capability. From where you were yesterday to where you are today, that took me at least a week.  You are rocking it, warpy!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LanghamP said:

You can keep the weight about the same on both pedals by pointing the wheel in the opposite direction you intend to lean. It kicks the wheel out from under you and you fall into the turn with little body movement.

This is my preferred turn because there seems to be no pressure on my knees. The bend the knee to turn method always feels like it puts too much pressure on my inner knee and I don't like it. It also feels my inner foot tips from all the weight.

Yes, that little shift in the opposite direction really seems to set up the turn.  I do that on a bike too for any tough turn where I have time for the foreplay.  But on the wheel, I still end up with more weight on the inner foot once I get into the meat of the turn.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Don't over-think it.  I was just breaking down the various turning options down to their component parts.  Often it can be a combination of techniques that achieve the same result.  The easiest for gradual turns is just turning your upper body at the waist in the direction you want.  Somehow that must shift your centre of balance to that side.  Adding in the change in foot pressure turns even more.  Adding an entire body lean forwards and to the side adds to that.  Do whatever works for you as that's the beauty of it - you have options.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Well, I'll prefer to think of these options as a positive selection of choices in the given situation.. and maybe you do it too "instinctively".. Some options offer advantages over other options in the given situation, and your body just chooses them based on your capabilities in the various turns..

Eg. The leaning turn allows fast (and cool-looking) turns, but you need body clearance to do it.. 

The foot swivel twist (if i understand it correctly) allows for a quick wheel detour without actually shifting my body weight.. Eg. when going straight and just avoiding a porthole without big body displacement..

IMHO, it's good to learn all types of turns for the various purposes.. i guess that's why a beginner only equipped with a body lean, would find difficulty weaving through human traffic..

Edited by Nash
  • Upvote 2

Day 4. 3rd person videos courtesy of my dear sweet wife.

Concentrating on turns today. Wide medium and narrow. Trying to analyze what my body is doing when I turn and working to break bad habits. 3 separate short videos. Turning appears to be easier when I have an obstacle to go around. When I just do a a U turn in the street I'm more likely to fall off... All in the head.

Still running pedals at 0 degrees. Still feel like I'm being tipped off forward on turns bit I am noticing bad posture while turning. I don't think the  downward tilt is in my head but I think technique will alleviate much of  it.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 3