V5F+ or V8. Help me decide.

WARPed1701D

I don't seem to be able to edit the post more than once. Sorry for the typos.

Also I forgot to add one thing. Thanks for sticking with me on such a long post and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 1

Ha! Thanks for the reply @meepmeepmayer. The S1 was only in consideration as it didn't stretch my overburdened finances and I wouldn't have minded banging it up a bit as I learnt. At $486 delivered I still think it was a really good deal. I'll look into the KS14 and 16 though just to round out my research.

Well I was really focused on the two models listed so this seemed the best place. The KS16S is way too expensive and heavy. $1000 is the absolute limit considering I need to buy pads and a charge doctor too. I'd also rather not exceed 30lb device weight. I can't see pricing for the  KS14S but weight also appears quite high. Still liking the Inmotion options.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 1

@houseofjob

Absolutely awesome reply. Thank you so much. I will re-read it on my break later but on a quick scan I can see this kind of depth is from someone who has owned both wheels is invaluable and much appreciated. I wasn't aware that the speed limits were already conservative and that the wheels can provide some extra speed/power when needed above the rated specs. Also knowing the point at which tilt back starts is helpful. I'll likely not need to mess with that then.

The last few days I've cycled at EUC speeds. 12mph, 15mph and (when my legs and poor little Brompton wheels could handle it) 18MPH averages. I really don't think I'll have any desire to go faster on one wheel. As an ex-motorcycle rider in London anything over high teens would make we want to garb up in full protective motorcycle gear including back protector, hip plates, full face helmet and cordura trousers and jacket. This level of protection would strip away too much of the simplicity I desire from this device. Helmet and pads are acceptable (mandatory) at any speed of course.

I also appreciate the wheel diameter insight and would appreciate the opinion of others on this too. It is really one of the biggest reasons for liking the V8.

A big plus for the V8 would be side lighting for vehicles at junctions but I'd really like a good tail light. Can the blue lights on the V5 be turned off. If I move back to the UK the legality of these devices in general is in question but showing any blue light is bound to get me pulled.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

The last few days I've cycled at EUC speeds. 12mph, 15mph and (when my legs and poor little Brompton wheels could handle it) 18MPH averages. I really don't think I'll have any desire to go faster on one wheel.

No sweat. 

I would say that desired max speed is in relation to the relative traffic your are EUC-ing through.

One of the main reasons I desire higher max speeds is not to sustain the max; it's more for momentary burst speeds where I need to get out of the way of bikes or cars; but that's more unique to my ride here on the streets of NYC.

4 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

This level of protection would strip away too much of the simplicity I desire from this device. Helmet and pads are acceptable (mandatory) at any speed of course.

On an EUC, most advocate helmets, but I personally think wrist guards and an elbow and knee pad on your dominant side are more important (in that order). I've based this on all my EUC fall patterns (falling on wrists first for me), which have all happened due to overconfidence or not paying proper attention in new, unknown route situations.

4 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I also appreciate the wheel diameter insight and would appreciate the opinion of others on this too. It is really one of the biggest reasons for liking the V8.

Again, IMHO the 2" increase in diameter is not proportional to the over-importance people place on it. 

I'd say the increase in width you get going from 16" x 2.125" to 18" x 2.5" is more significant.

The V5 with stock CYT tire really rides like a 16" wheel IMHO (you'll find other V5 owners on the forum saying the same).

10 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Can the blue lights on the V5 be turned off. If I move back to the UK the legality of these devices in general is in question but showing any blue light is bound to get me pulled.

No, but you can easily open the V5 up and disconnect them.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I have V5F non plus version so I can't really compare milage. Everything else should be same.

Some people report trouble with V8 tire scraping the case. I don't have those problems. V8 is only slightly bigger and heavier, my family didn't even notice I have new wheel :-) (I turned off the LEDs)

V5F pros are better, more solid handle (external) and soft padding for legs (my calfs hurt a little from V8 hard plastic at the top).

V8 pros are better speed, noticeably stronger motor and maybe those LEDs can be fun when you want to show off.

I can't think of any other major differences.

• Upvote 2

I don't have experience with the v5f+ but based on the spec and price I would go for the V8.  However, know that people are having the tire scraping problems.  I am one of them but seems to scrape a lot less.

Edited by CaptainKBLS
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the input Captain!

The scraping issue of the V8 does bother me a little. A rushed design maybe? Does that mean problems elsewhere as It isn't the only issue reported with that model recently. I'm sure the V5 range had teething issues too but I understand that being older it has seen several revisions that I guess has ironed out some of the bugs.

I read a post from Jason showing the tires he tried in the V8 to stop any rubbing and in that he showed a close up of the offending fairing against the tire. I don't know the build of that fairing but could it not be filed back a little to increase the clearance? Not the point I know. It should be right when it leaves the factory but no one seems to have mentioned doing it so I'm guessing it isn't an option? It annoys me when things aren't built right. Maybe that is why I have an issue ordering the V8 with these reports going about.

I agree that based on price and spec the V8 would appear to be a no-brainer, but something has me holding back. Not sure if it is the reports of these issues or just the increased size and weight which @Juick reports is barely noticeable. I must admit that my Brompton weighs about the same as the V5F+ and after climbing the stairs at work and my apartments with it I do feel every pound it weighs. It's why I paid $800 extra to shave 2lb off with titanium forks and rear triangle! Maybe that has something to do with it.

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

If speed isn't an issue, just go for the v5f+.

It's my current wheel, and it's the best wheel I've ever used. The only reason I'm considering the upgrade to the V8 was for the extra kph, as speed is very important to me, but I don't want to leave Inmotion. Having said that the scraping is a deal breaker for me. Last thing I want is design issues. So I might stay put for now.

It's a wonderful wheel, you'll love it.

Thanks for your input @Paddylaz. I see you are in London. Is that London UK or one of the US cities with the name? As I may end up returning back to England in the next 12 months so can you tell me the feasibility of usage of a wheel in the UK with the current restrictive laws. Do you get much grief form the old bill? When, where and how are you using it? Have you heard anything from other UK users about their experience using wheels and the law? What did you do about the blue light on the front of the V5? I imagine that draws the attention of the Police looking for an extra reason to give you a tug. I was going to start a new topic on the law and usage in the UK but I already started two topics in two days. As a new user I don't want to be seen as bombing the forum even though it is fair to have lots of questions about these devices.

The scraping really is bothering me. I wonder if it is/was a batch issue with the wheel itself or even a bad run of tires that are outside of spec

• Upvote 1

I chose v5f because the 700€ fit perfect for a impasse euc. The numbers I reach with my 60kg are 30km and +-15% remaining charge with soft riding. Maybe you decision is easier if you can save a significant amount of money choosing a vf5 instead the plus version. Battery comes degraded in less time but in advantage you can choose then to expend the saved money in a new tech battery replacement or put that money in a whole new euc and resell your old v5f

Edited by Demargon
  • Upvote 1

I can't balance on the knife-edge tire of the V5F+ which I understand can be mitigated by using a different tire. This is very noticeable when I ride the V5 after getting off my other wheels.

Both these wheels are so similar to each other, and probably cost very nearly the same. One isn't "better" than the other.

I look at them as being the same wheel, but do you want a 14 incher or a 16 incher?

• Upvote 1

I've only read good things about the VF5+ handle with the feeling that the V8 luggage style is inferior. Hearing this viewpoint is interesting as I think a good trolley handle is likely to be important to me.

How much of that extra motor power is lost through simply having to drive all the power through the 16" wheel vs a 14" one. I'm wondering how much extra gain you actually get from the V8 motor over the V5F in light of this.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I've only read good things about the VF5+ handle with the feeling that the V8 luggage style is inferior. Hearing this viewpoint is interesting as I think a good trolley handle is likely to be important to me.

How much of that extra motor power is lost through simply having to drive all the power through the 16" wheel vs a 14" one. I'm wondering how much extra gain you actually get from the V8 motor over the V5F in light of this.

Yes, correct.

The v5f handle is one of the best parts of the wheel. It actually makes it look considerably better and sportier.

In reply to your questions about the police/law....generally they don't care. I've had ONE cop stop me before, but according to the skaters that were around me at the time, he was a known dick and so it wasn't usual policy. He was just looking to exert power. Legally it's a grey area.......leaning more towards illegality than being legal.....but most don't care. The blue light of the v5 has never been an issue.

Edited by Paddylaz
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Yes, correct.

The v5f handle is one of the best parts of the wheel. It actually makes it look considerably better and sportier.

In reply to your questions about the police/law....generally they don't care. I've had ONE cop stop me before, but according to the skaters that were around me at the time, he was a known dick and so it wasn't usual policy. He was just looking to exert power. Legally it's a grey area.......leaning more towards illegality than being legal.....but most don't care. The blue light of the v5 has never been an issue.

That's good to know. Thanks for the update.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Yes, correct.

One more thing. Do you take it on The Tube? What is it like lugging that weight up and down the steps at stations? The extra 4lb of the V8 could be noticeable in such situations.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I've had both as regular drivers and don't couldn't disagree more.

The V5F+ handle, regardless of how it looks, was the best handle implementation I've ever used, and I've used them all. (wish I could mount it on ALL my EUCs)

The curved design lets you easily manipulate the trolleyed wheel from every angle with one hand, which is much harder with the traditional 2-pole trolley (the powered-on EUC will run away from you if angled wrong in your hand).

The V8 trolley is good (would be better in the more stable, diagonal implementation of the KS16 & KS14D/S), but the V5F+ trolley is simply the best IMHO; don't believe me, just try them out yourself.

And power-wise, from the spec sheet, you would expect the V8 to be that much more powerful (as did I before owning). 

While more power is there, it's not the night-and-day difference you would expect.

The V5F+ & V8, while manufactured by the same company, do not drive at all the same IMHO. The V8 has a rubbery resistance to it that I found puzzling while owning (this resistance for me made me work a bit to accelerate, which resulted in me going slower on the V8), because the V5F+ drives hard, responsive and free, like a sports car setup. Max speed aside, the only place you will notice lesser power on the V5F+ is acceleration uphill.

Actually, from 0-10mph on flats, I would say the V5F+ has faster acceleration than the V8, which has been explained by those more knowledgeable than I as being partly due to the physics of a smaller diameter 14" wheel.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 3