Brand new Inmotion V8 and I am disappointed.

Goodman

I have waited 6 weeks for this to be delivered to me, I had high expectations thinking the build quality would be a lot better. I can not express my disappointment I expected too much or maybe I got the only bad one sent out or maybe it will get better with more kms on it I don't know.

First the tyre scrapes I had my tyre at 60 psi that didn't work I tried 50 psi that didn't work now it's at 40 psi which is almost like flat. I asked my seller and he asked Inmotion and they said the recommended pressure is 30-40 psi which I say is bulshit trying to palm me off I think.

It rained for like 8 minutes yesterday very light while I was riding, I couldn't turn my wheel off afterwards had to get a cloth and whip at the start button for 5 minutes before it turned off. I then had problems turning it back on, it finally worked after an hour, isn't this shitty wheel suppose to be IP55.

Final problem with this wheel is I have had this wheel for five days and so far I cant get more then 25 kms out of a single charge average speed is 15-20 kph, I am only 65 kilos and even with my cloths and helmet on I am still under 70 kilos. This is done with no hills mostly very flat surfaces, is my battery bad or this is the most I can get out of the wheel, thought it had close to 40 kms?

I have 6 more days to complain, I usually don't complain if it were just 1 small problem. I could probably live with the tyre scrape but it's as annoying as hell as I don't like riding on low psi. The start button worries me and the battery is just so poor it's actually worse than my ninebot one e+. Should I send back to seller? Or does this get better?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a bit disappointing.  :efee565ab0:   Does it have a mechanical press in power switch?  I think @Chris Westland modifed his IPS Zero with a silicon cover for his power button IIRC.  I don't know why makers design the wheels with such tight tire tolerances.  Maybe there is some variation in the tread depth from tire suppliers so the specifications they provide are inaccurate leading to trouble down the design line.  It sounds like maybe a return might be the best choice as there seems to be a few negatives from the get go.  Maybe someone with first hand experience can comment further as to the normal range and characteristics of this wheel.

Send it to your reseller and take your money back. The rain problem happened in my v5f too, only one time in 6 mounts. That's acceptable because the wheel back to work itself.

The scratching tire is a no way problem, you must adapt the pressure for different activities and routes.

The range problem look like a issue, the v5f takes my 60 kg 30km far with only 85% depleted if I ride softly. That's is possible with charging to the green light in the adapter instead the 100% in the app (there is one more full indicator when the blue light stop blinking) that's isn't good for battery life but it reaches that fantastic range of >30Km. But your v8 must do >40km without tricks.

Maybe your batteries need do a couple of full cicles to reach his maximum capacity or maybe you ride style demand too much due lot of star, stop, accelerations and miss balances corrections but that's explain it only if you ride like dancing pogo 

This worries me greatly as my V8 will arrive today. None of these problems are trivial and If I encounter similar stuff i will surely return it. You should probably too.

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

I have waited 6 weeks for this to be delivered to me, I had high expectations thinking the build quality would be a lot better. I can not express my disappointment I expected too much or maybe I got the only bad one sent out or maybe it will get better with more kms on it I don't know.

First the tyre scrapes I had my tyre at 60 psi that didn't work I tried 50 psi that didn't work now it's at 40 psi which is almost like flat. I asked my seller and he asked Inmotion and they said the recommended pressure is 30-40 psi which I say is bulshit trying to palm me off I think.

It rained for like 8 minutes yesterday very light while I was riding, I couldn't turn my wheel off afterwards had to get a cloth and whip at the start button for 5 minutes before it turned off. I then had problems turning it back on, it finally worked after an hour, isn't this shitty wheel suppose to be IP55.

Final problem with this wheel is I have had this wheel for five days and so far I cant get more then 25 kms out of a single charge average speed is 15-20 kph, I am only 65 kilos and even with my cloths and helmet on I am still under 70 kilos. This is done with no hills mostly very flat surfaces, is my battery bad or this is the most I can get out of the wheel, thought it had close to 40 kms?

I have 6 more days to complain, I usually don't complain if it were just 1 small problem. I could probably live with the tyre scrape but it's as annoying as hell as I don't like riding on low psi. The start button worries me and the battery is just so poor it's actually worse than my ninebot one e+. Should I send back to seller? Or does this get better?

The tire should list the PSI range on it's side. Gotway tires max at 45 psi, yet some of KingSong's go to 65. It depends on the tire. If the tire still scrapes if you are within the values listed on the side of the tire maybe you should return it. The rain seems like a problem, and your range is certainly too low.

The V8 has a very good reputation, so maybe you were just unlucky :(

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

19 minutes ago, Demargon said:

The range problem look like a issue, the v5f takes my 60 kg 30km far with only 85% depleted if I ride softly. That's is possible with charging to the green light in the adapter instead the 100% in the app (there is one more full indicator when the blue light stop blinking) that's isn't good for battery life but it reaches that fantastic range of >30Km. But your v8 must do >40km without tricks.

Maybe your batteries need do a couple of full cicles to reach his maximum capacity or maybe you ride style demand too much due lot of star, stop, accelerations and miss balances corrections but that's explain it only if you ride like dancing pogo 

With LiIon Batteries that's not an explanation - they wont "recover" from about half of their capacity after some charging cycles (from what i've read at http://batteryuniversity.com/ there is no such thing with li ions at all)

Seems like a faulty battery pack, but could be a miscalibrated charger, too...

Best to return, since you have 6 more days for a complaint - especially in combination with the not being IPS55 and the tire scraping...

ps.: from https://www.nemaenclosures.com/enclosure-ratings/ip-enclosures/ip55-enclosures.html

IP 55 Enclosure Characteristics:

• Protection from water, up to water projected by a nozzle against enclosure from any direction

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sounds like the tire thing is pretty common.  They should move their shell mounting points down a few millimetres.

I've got a V8 and I every once in a while I'll hear a noise from the tire scraping, but nothing that ruins the ride.  If you look at the thread that was listed by @Hunka Hunka Burning Love you'll see that the reseller in this case provided a different tire option which seemed to solve the problem:

Once you get past that problem, then I think you'll be able to pump up the tire to a better psi (I have mine at 50 psi) and that should have a positive impact on your range.

Sorry, no help on the power button, although I would say that I had issues with the button at first too.  It had nothing to do with the rain, but instead I thought it would work like the V5F, which I think is a short press to turn the wheel on/off and a long hold for the front head light, while on the V8 I think it's a long hold for on/off and a short press for the headlight, so that messed me up and I actually thought the on/off button was faulty and it turned out to just be a "quirky" thing I had to learn.

Good luck, I hope things start looking up with your wheel.  I've had great luck with mine and would recommend this wheel to anyone other than those with a need for range greater than 15 miles, that's my only complaint.

Honestly, sounds like you should return it. Too many issues at once, right at the start. Or have at least the seller fix everything on his dime (return is probably easier and safer for you). EUCs usually run fine for very long if they are running fine once, but you need to reach that "once" and it might not happen with this wheel, or at the very least getting to that point should not be your concern, but the seller's.

15 hours ago, Goodman said:

IIRC, there are inconclusive reports on whether Li-Ion batteries may gain capacity within the first few charge cycles. I wouldn't bet either way. I can squeeze a little over 400Wh out of the battery (measured with the charge doctor, CD), and see around or below 11Wh/km consumption with 80kg payload if I take it easy. With lots of acceleration and deceleration it becomes typically rather 17Wh/km. 

From these numbers I would have no way to conclude that you have a defective battery. 

5 hours ago, Maximus said:

Sorry, no help on the power button, although I would say that I had issues with the button at first too.  It had nothing to do with the rain, but instead I thought it would work like the V5F, which I think is a short press to turn the wheel on/off and a long hold for the front head light, while on the V8 I think it's a long hold for on/off and a short press for the headlight, so that messed me up and I actually thought the on/off button was faulty and it turned out to just be a "quirky" thing I had to learn.

I had the same issue. But is exactly the opposite: very short press for V8-long press for the light; long hold for the V5F-short press for the light.

1 hour ago, phatmike said:

I had the same issue. But is exactly the opposite: very short press for V8-long press for the light; long hold for the V5F-short press for the light.

Yeah, that's probably right, I knew they were the opposite between the V5F and the V8, just couldn't remember which was which :)

So today i got mine V8 and rode first 24km with it from full charge, often pushing 30km/h speed and rode over 4 small hills. It has 31% battery left, so it would go for ~32km total. As I weight 100kg this range was expected. Your battery must be faulty.

I can totaly understand the tire scraping as after inflating to 3,8 bar, there is only 1mm space between tire and case and there might be close to none at another unit. I didn't encounter any problems personaly, maybe once I heard some leaf scraping and I expect it will get better as tire will worn out. 

No rain today, so no input for third problem.

My advice, return it or ask for replacement.  

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The tire should list the PSI range on it's side. Gotway tires max at 45 psi, yet some of KingSong's go to 65. It depends on the tire. If the tire still scrapes if you are within the values listed on the side of the tire maybe you should return it. The rain seems like a problem, and your range is certainly too low.

The V8 has a very good reputation, so maybe you were just unlucky :(

Tyre listed on wheel is up to 65 psi.

Thanks guy for all the replies I took a good look yesterday and and it would seem that the tyre is bad to start off with. There is very little room between the top front plastic and back plastic when I spin my wheel the same section of the tyre always hits the back mud guard. 

I think due to me running on low psi and combined with the scrapping of the tyre this is causing low range.

The power start button has had no problems since, I was going to send the wheel back but after I got quoted $300 for shipping it will be my last choice. 

Going to contact my seller when his opens and ask for a replacement tyre first hopefully this will fix scrapping and range problems and with the power button I will give it another test later and spray some water near there and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Tyre listed on wheel is up to 65 psi.

Thanks guy for all the replies I took a good look yesterday and and it would seem that the tyre is bad to start off with. There is very little room between the top front plastic and back plastic when I spin my wheel the same section of the tyre always hits the back mud guard. 

I think due to me running on low psi and combined with the scrapping of the tyre this is causing low range.

The power start button has had no problems since, I was going to send the wheel back but after I got quoted $300 for shipping it will be my last choice. 

Going to contact my seller when his opens and ask for a replacement tyre first hopefully this will fix scrapping and range problems and with the power button I will give it another test later and spray some water near there and see what happens.

Too bad you've had such a negative experience. I think this is the first real negative commentary that I've read about the V8, in terms of quality.

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I don't know why makers design the wheels with such tight tire tolerances.

Not all makers. I can inflate my IPS and Gotway wheels to whatever pressure I want, and there is PLENTY of room. THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE!

Why do Inmotion and Rockwheel think they can't give the customer one more 1/16 inch? Why do they think it's so undesirable to provide a decent amount of space for the tire? It can have 1/16 inch more room and still the wheel looks cool.

16 minutes ago, Goodman said:

:( there had to be one, but there is a problem with the tyre issue I can see quite a few people have the same issue.

People have been known to use a Dremel/grinder to cut away parts of the shell to fit bigger tires. If you have an artistic touch that might be an avenue to get you back on the road. :popcorn:

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The tire should list the PSI range on it's side. Gotway tires max at 45 psi, yet some of KingSong's go to 65. It depends on the tire.

My preferred pressure, 50 psi, is higher than what is listed on all of my EUC tires. Inflating to this "excessive" pressure has not caused any problems for me.

11 hours ago, Maximus said:

the reseller in this case provided a different tire option which seemed to solve the problem:

I think they're so obsessed with a cool, slim form factor they ignore the obvious solution of MAKING THE SPACE BIG ENOUGH.

4 hours ago, Juick said:

after inflating to 3,8 bar, there is only 1mm space between tire and case

Why would a EUC maker do this? A wheel well is not the place for extreme tolerances. Give the customer a couple of extra mm!!

when i put a lot of psi the V8 is less stable when riding at the sidewalks but my tire does not scrape nothing at all. now i ride with way less pressure as it seems to be safer and stable especially when making turns. the battery....hmmm i cover today 25KM the total but really pushing when i had to and the battery level was showing 18% and also i got them funky spining leds on. my weight is80KG.

below is my map and average time and due to that ride belive me or not i had to slow down a lot for few times.

Screenshot_20170621-112334.png

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

People have been known to use a Dremel/grinder to cut away parts of the shell to fit bigger tires. If you have an artistic touch that might be an avenue to get you back on the road. :popcorn:

My artistic skills are very limited stick figures are all I'm good for :( 

Archived