Safe Speed Poll

Circuitmage

What is your Safe Speed you try to Ride at?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What speed to you consider the MAXIMUM "safe" speed to ride at?

• 10kmph (6.2mph)
    • 15kmph (9.3mph)
    • 20kmph (12.4mph)
    • 25kmph (15.5mph)
    • 30kmph (18.6mph)
    • 35kmph (21.8mph)
    • >35kmph

On 21.6.2017 at 6:36 PM, LanghamP said:

I really see just two conditions with radically different speeds.

If it isn't a cutoff then the speed would be pretty high, like above 15mph, and you'd probably be able to run it off. There is some warning and some leverage.

If it is a cutout, ...There is no safe speed.

Yes. For falls without cut out, everybody might have a good guess, what he can run off. With an unexpected cut out that's becoming all uncertain. 

55 minutes ago, caelus said:

Yes. For falls without cut out, everybody might have a good guess, what he can run off. With an unexpected cut out that's becoming all uncertain. 

I had two falls from slowing down and leaning back to go backwards when I was learning backwards riding.  I overpowered the ninebot and it just gave up momentarily, and I fell backwards off the wheel.  The wheel did not stay turned off, when I picked it back up it was still on.  It just didn't have enough power for the amount of acceleration I wanted.  Even though I was going zero mph, I still got hurt a little, because it was unexpected and took me by surprise.  I was bounced off a couple of times from hitting an unseen hole in the ground while riding in a grassy area at the park, but didn't get hurt because I was only going about 8 mph and was able to roll like EUC extreme.  One time on a concrete bike path I hit a big patch of sand that slowed the wheel instantly and threw me off, luckily I was wearing wrist guard gloves with palm protectors,  the palm protectors saved my hands.

I had two falls on my learner wheel, a very cheap wheel with the smallest battery pack, I think the wheel shut off, but was still learning so am not sure.  Was not going fast at all.

The only two things I fear are the wheel just shutting off completely due to some component failing,  or hitting some rough trail or rock or something in the road that that throws me off or the wheel slips out from under me.  So I usually don't go faster than 10mph/16kph, 

I always think about what would happen if the wheel cut out.  I wonder if it would drop so fast that it would be too fast to react.

7 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Yes, I think non EUC pedestrians should be called "walkers" now.

Ha! ? Okay, dog pedestrians then.

6 hours ago, steve454 said:

I always think about what would happen if the wheel cut out.

I do that too sometimes. Going 35km/h I'm pretty sure that a fall for any reason would severely break me, regardless of the protection I wear. That is the risk I take every day, because riding and speeding is just way too much fun. I wish I could share the feeling with my gf who travels mostly in a wheelchair. 

In the city, on sidewalks, I find that a top speed of 15 mph feels stable when nobody else is on the path.  If I am sharing the path with people I can go around, its about half that (~8 mph) and if I have to deal with unexpected stuff (glass, major bumps, tree branches in the way) it may go slower still.  But at this point, I feel like I can safely do 17 to 19 mph under ideal conditions.  20-22 for short periods of time.  In general, though, 15 mph seems to be about the limit for overall "safe" riding.

Since last autum, thus since nearly a year, I consider the 30 km/h of my KS16B as an absolutely safe cruising speed, and I also often ride it like that (which means I hear it beeping often, but try to stay slightly below the "beep border", because it annoys me).

But I mostly ride on bicycle lanes with low traffic, and ALWAYS wear a helmet, gloves and ellbow protectors, and I ride quite often, so would say I have a lot of practice, it became a second hobby (near mountainbiking, skiing and mountaineering).

I mean "safe" in the sense of feeling safe like on a bicycle, no uncertainties of balance or fears when a small hole or bump needs to be crossed. It was only once until now that I overlooked a gully (last autumn) filled with leaves, which grabbed my wheel and sent me suddenly to the floor, but my protection gear did well, and I was able to continue uninjured.

It is clear that it's not safe if once a cutout or something comparable would hit me, and it is also clear, that I drive slower when passing pedestrians or drive in heavy traffic.

But I just thought with "safe" you meant until to which speed I feel absolutely safe on the wheel, and that is 30.

ks16.jpg.461e6c2433859581d3b769a46dea791b.jpg

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I wish I could share the feeling with my gf who travels mostly in a wheelchair. 

I do wonder what sort of mobility/ upper body strength you need in order to use it, but have you considered this:https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/products/blumil-self-stabilising-wheel-chair 

Blumil-Wheel-Chair-3_530x.jpg?v=14803290

Compared with our EUC's it does seem expensive but not compared with the Quingo mobility scooter which we get bombarded with on British TV ad nauseam. If my mobility was reduced I know which of the two I'd rather be using ?  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10348383/Age-UK-launches-investigation-into-scooter-firm-that-pressurises-elderly-people.html

Keith, like me she too has an Airwheel A3 (check my signature). But she can't ride very often, and only a few km at 10km/h or so. Even if I somehow could get her moving 30km/h on curvy and bumpy dirt roads and uphills, she wouldn't feel the excitement and joy that I feel on my KS-16S.

Non-EUC Pedestrians = NEUCP's... (Sounds like 'Nuke-Peas'?)

On 9/8/2017 at 2:37 AM, mrelwood said:
  On 9/7/2017 at 6:49 PM, Circuitmage said:

Yes, I think non EUC pedestrians should be called "walkers" now.

On 9/8/2017 at 2:37 AM, mrelwood said:

Ha! ? Okay, dog pedestrians then.

Maybe we need to be more specific:

• UPHP's = Unpowered Human Pedestrians
  • UPCP's = Unpowered Canine Pedestrians
  • and so forth...

Just calling them 'walkers' sounds so... pedestrian!

Archived