Safe Speed Poll

Circuitmage

What is your Safe Speed you try to Ride at?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What speed to you consider the MAXIMUM "safe" speed to ride at?

• 10kmph (6.2mph)
    • 15kmph (9.3mph)
    • 20kmph (12.4mph)
    • 25kmph (15.5mph)
    • 30kmph (18.6mph)
    • 35kmph (21.8mph)
    • >35kmph

As a noob, I'm just wondering where people are in their "safe speed" zone here. My neighbor across the street has had is ninebot for about 9 months (or more?), and just informed me he has his limiter set to 10kmph (6.2mph) ! After less than 4 days on my V3pro, I'm hitting the max speed regularly (12mph).

This may not be the speed you set your limiter to (which may be much higher!) , but the speed at which you feel you try to stay under while riding.  (I know this can vary by wheel type and rider experience, just wanting to get an idea of membership speed right now.)

31 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

This may not be the speed you set your limiter to (which may be much higher!) , but the speed at which you feel you try to stay under while riding.

I know from experience that my safe speed is around 12 mph but I don't stay that low.

I find it amazing that American football collide with each other at combined speeds of greater than 30 mph, with them hitting the ground afterwards. Which is probably why 1/3 of ex-football players file bankruptcy, and many (most?All?) CAT scan on living players shows a lot of water where their brain tissue used to be.

Depends to a large degree on your EUC and your protection.

Running a steady 15mph on a 14" wheel is something totally different than doing it on an 18" wheel, and even two wheels with the same diameter can be radically different in stability at high speeds.

Running with full MC-gear: boots, leg-guards, hip-guards, back-plate, rib-plates, arm-guards, wrist-guards, neck-guard and a full face helmet, is a totally different proposition than running with just wrist guards or nothing at all.

Running on a good road is something totally different than running on gravel or on a less-than-well-kept road.

But with a commuter-helmet, elbow pads, wrist-guards, knee-pads, and ankle-support, I feel "reasonably safe" up to approx 20-25 mph on a good road - but I tend to slow down to 15 mph or so if the road gets rougher. At 15 mph I feel I have enough time to swerve or compensate for pot-holes and cracks, tree roots and big stones. At 25 not so much.

I will not go faster than 25 mph, even on a very good road. I like having some margins to what the "max" is for the wheel. I seldom go faster than 20 mph anyways, and have set my first alarm at 21 mph to avoid loosing the sense of speed.

Yeah, I kinda acknowledged that at the top, I just didn't include the protective gear stuff.

On 6/19/2017 at 9:13 AM, Circuitmage said:

(I know this can vary by wheel type and rider experience, just wanting to get an idea of membership speed right now.)

I bet people think of their max speed to ride at a lot more than they think of their max speed to fall at.  What I mean is that I bet plenty of us practice riding ... but how many of us practice falling?  Especially with the gear on we're likely to be using when riding?

How many of us know from experience how good we are at rolling out of falls?  Or doing front falls or side  falls or back falls?  

And then doing it with gear?

I'd guess most of us are under-prepared, probably by a significant margin.

... and I think I'm going to make a point of taking some of my protective gear down to the park and just practicing falls.  

Especially with bulky hard helmets, I think you could either seriously screw up a roll-out or a front fall and as a result land all wrong, maybe even hurt your neck severely.  I'm going to practice that.  If nothing else, it will help increase confidence so I'll be able to relax a tiny bit more during a fall.

on sidewalks and areas where a random pedestrian may appear, it seems i lean (sic) towards ~10-11 kph. on a road/bike lane i find that a comfortable cruising speed is 20-23 kph. how 'safe' that is is up for debate - gear up!

Yeah, I see a few people downtown on these here lately, but no one's wearing safety gear!. From my motorcycle experience, it seems you really want to wear some safety gear (esp over 15mph), if not for your own driving safety, but due to others. In highly congested areas, someone just might run into YOU! Downtown you have pedestrians, bicycles, cars, and all sorts of other wheeled thingamajigs.

On 19.6.2017 at 4:13 PM, Circuitmage said:

As a noob, I'm just wondering where people are in their "safe speed" zone here. My neighbor across the street has had is ninebot for about 9 months (or more?), and just informed me he has his limiter set to 10kmph (6.2mph) ! After less than 4 days on my V3pro, I'm hitting the max speed regularly (12mph).

This may not be the speed you set your limiter to (which may be much higher!) , but the speed at which you feel you try to stay under while riding.  (I know this can vary by wheel type and rider experience, just wanting to get an idea of membership speed right now.)

before polling i would like your definition of "safe speed"?

what does that mean? speed where you can "run off"?

speed where nothing happends is you fall?

your prefered cruising speed?

for each answer i would use a different poll option.....

@KingSong69 I know the poll is a bit open ended, but just trying to make it as simple as possible, knowing there are many variables at play. Per poll title, just looking for maximum safe speed you will ride at (probably straight-away, few to no obstructions, etc.) Yes, probably cruising speed.

Just now, Circuitmage said:

@KingSong69 I know the poll is a bit open ended, but just trying to make it as simple as possible, knowing there are many variables at play. Per poll title, just looking for maximum safe speed you will ride at (probably straight-away, few to no obstructions, etc.) Yes, probably cruising speed.

ok, voted also then...for me "safe" cruising speed is 25 kmh!

Yeah, that seems to be top of the bell curve (and my choice). I can see maybe hitting 20mph myself infrequently, but having hit that on my ezip I know that is pretty fast (for me). And, being limited to 12mph regularly now...I think 15mph is a good pace.

I really see just two conditions with radically different speeds.

If it isn't a cutoff then the speed would be pretty high, like above 15mph, and you'd probably be able to run it off. There is some warning and some leverage.

If it is a cutout, you're probably leaning forward somewhat, at the very least pushing back against the pedals. I just don't see any safe speed if that happens. I'd bet the only time you'd be ok is taking off from a light. The physics just don't add up if you're leaning forward with the cut out. It seems impossible to catch a cut out. There is no safe speed.

Imagine this:

1. Get on a slick, smooth, and wet ice skating ring.

2. While wearing new leather-soled shoes.

3. Lean forward until you lose your balance.

Is there anything you can do to prevent a face plant? No, because there isn't anything to push off against.

• 2 months later...

I always wear a helmet, wrist supports, thick gloves, and armors on shoulders, elbows and knees, together with thick clothing.

Alone on a straight, smooth, familiar asphalt road, I ride at device maximum 35km/h.

Medium incline on the same road, 30km/h.

Slightly bumpy incline, 25km/h.

Bumpy non-familiar road with pedestrians, 20km/h.

Low battery on a bumpy incline, 15km/h.

Passing dog walkers, 10km/h.

Crowded city centre, 5km/h.

Due to the nature of the beast I wouldn't call any of these 'safe' though, not even with airbags or inside the inflatable bubble. As LanghamP wrote, a cutout is a disaster even at standstill.

Archived