Glad to be alive!

Rehab1

What was suppose to be a great Father's Day turned ugly! My neighbor was helping me launch my jet ski into our lake. Everything was going smooth after I backed the trailer down the ramp. I then let him hop in the driver's seat to pull away from the ramp as I began pushing the jet ski into the water. All of the sudden my truck started rolling backwards towards me. I jumped out of the way and ended up between the truck's rear fender and the wooden dock. Dumb move as I was trapped! My truck continued to roll backwards crushing my chest between the dock and the rear fender. 

Somehow the truck then stopped! I later found out the jet ski trailer had jackknifed 90 degrees and wedged inself into the lake bottom halting the truck! 

My poor neighbor had his own issues that I was unaware of at the time! He had climbed into the truck panic stricken after it rolled down the ramp and shut the door trying to keep the water from coming in. I later found out he had to swim through the window to escape drowning! Thank God the window was open!:smartass:

Both my neighbor and I are safe but my wife is pissed at me for not going to the emergency room for a chest X-ray. I suppose I should get checked out after looking at the big dent my chest put in the fender but I feel fine. The other dent in the fender is from my hand pressing against the metal attempting to get free!

My truck is probably totaled after being submerged for an hour. If that is not bad enough my wife's new KS 14C, my drone and new goggles, camera equipment, iPhone, all EUC chargers.. all gone. This was a bad hit today but it could have been much worse. We are alive!  :clap3:The material items can always be replaced! 

Here is some footage I shot while I was still in shock talking about my truck. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:blink:  Omigosh thank goodness you are okay.  Maybe go get checked out at the emerg just in case.

Edit:  Neighbour's first name isn't Moe, Larry, or Curly is it?  :facepalm:  Why didn't he hit the brake pedal?

http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/internal-bleeding-causes-signs

Good thing the trailer helped stop the truck.  People have died from crush injuries sustained from vehicles rolling at them.  The guy who played Chekov in the new Star Trek movies is a recent casualty.

Was the truck turned off with the key still in the run position?  Maybe the neighbour put it in drive and didn't realize why it was rolling back?  Still the brakes work with the engine off?  How did it end up getting all the way into the lake?  Unless it was moving, squished you in the process, glanced off and continued into the water?  Why didn't he stomp on the brake???

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Edit:  Neighbour's first name isn't Moe, Larry, or Curly is it?  :facepalm:  Why didn't he hit the brake pedal?

I am not sure what happened when he panicked. It was my bad for not introducing him to my truck and the fly by wire gear shift knob on the dash. He said he was trying to find the gear shifter. Yes you would think hitting the brake would be automatic. He feels terrible! Things happen. I cannot be mad.

Launching a watercraft is suppose to be fluid with everyone knowing what the other is doing. I have tried to teach my wife to back a trailer but what can I say, she sucks. He offered to help so I figured what the hell.

Good thing the trailer helped stop the truck.  People have died from crush injuries sustained from vehicles rolling at them.  The guy who played Chekov in the new Star Trek movies is a recent casualty.

Interestingly we did talk about that tonight! It took over 40 minutes for a guy to arrive with his front end loader. That would be a long time to have my chest compressed. I truly believe my son was watching over me on Father's Day! Love ya Matt!

Was the truck turned off with the key still in the run position?  Maybe the neighbour put it in drive and didn't realize why it was rolling back?  Still the brakes work with the engine off?  How did it end up getting all the way into the lake?  Unless it was moving, squished you in the process, glanced off and continued into the water?  Why didn't he stomp on the brake???

The truck was running. It has a key fob. The last thing I remember is pushing the jet ski off the trailer into the water. Not sure if he was in the truck, hit the gas and panicked. I may never know as I don't want to pry. He feels bad enough. His wife just called to see if I was ok.

The bad thing about  these new cars and trucks is the electronics. When the truck submerged in the lake everything locked up. We could not get the transmission or 4 wheel drive unlocked. The truck had to be literally dragged out of the lake and then up a car hauler ramp. The guy with the wrecker was not happy. 

Everything that was destroyed is sitting on my garage floor so the insurance adjuster can see what was lost. 

I had a bad feeling about putting in my watercraft this weekend. I should have listened to my inner thoughts.

17 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

2 - Put the truck (and everything that was in it) into a huge bag of rice... 3-4 days, and it'll all be fine! 

My phone is currently sitting in rice. I'll try that with the rest of the equipment. Thanks!

My God. What a horrible and scary day. That is truly scary. You must have been shaken, if not immediately some time later when you realized what a close call you had.

All the material things can be replace of course.

Glad you're OK. I'll refrain from making any smart-ass remarks, at least today ;)

I have seen this happen a few times at my local boat ramp I am so glad no one got hurt you are completely right, material things can be replaced as long as everyone is fine. I would listen to your wife and get a check up just to be in the safe side.

Sweet Jeeeezzz. I am really happy the damage ended up being just material shit. That is just money, and while it hurts it can be replaced.

There are those times when you get almost like a premonition. I've started to listen to mine, as some shit always happens when I don't.

And that from a guy that is generally not very superstitious...

I wonder whether a different technique to launch might be good. Check out this video:

Or is it one of those larger jet boats?

Does the truck have one of those new electronic parking brakes?  I've driven a Jeep with one.  I wonder if the water triggered that to lock things up.  I'm used to the mechanical linkage ones.

With electronics in water, I hear it can be best to disconnect batteries if possible, rinse well with distilled water, allow to dry and use the rice or other dessicant technique.  I wonder if the KingSong is still salvagable?

:shock2:

Sounds like, had it been concrete instead of a wodden dock (that possibly flexes a bit) you might have been killed!

Maybe you should go to a doctor for your chest, if only for your wife. You most likely know better than me, but sudden later complications might appear. Who knows.

Aaaaand a dead EUC and some other stuff for good measure:(

In Germany we say "Glück im Unglück" (luck in bad luck, or "could have been worse") and it seems you had a lot of both (especially luck).

Glad you're not hurt! What a story...

45 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

There are those times when you get almost like a premonition. I've started to listen to mine, as some shit always happens when I don't.

And that from a guy that is generally not very superstitious...

That's just your subconcious, comparing everything with existing experiences and not liking what it sees. You're just not aware of the details as they are below conscious level.. No superstition necessary, just your well-evolved human brain:)

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

What was suppose to be a great Father's Day turned ugly! 

Somehow the truck then stopped! I later found out the jet ski trailer had jackknifed 90 degrees and wedged inself into the lake bottom halting the truck! 

My poor neighbor had his own issues that I was unaware of at the time! He had climbed into the truck panic stricken after it rolled down the ramp and shut the door trying to keep the water from coming in. I later found out he had to swim through the window to escape drowning! Thank God the window was open!:smartass:

We are alive!  :clap3:

Thank god you both made it! :thumbup:

You had a great second birthday party afterwards?

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

:shock2:

Sounds like, had it been concrete instead of a wodden dock (that possibly flexes a bit) you might have been killed!

Maybe you should go to a doctor for your chest, if only for your wife. You most likely know better than me, but sudden later complications might appear. Who knows.

Aaaaand a dead EUC and some other stuff for good measure:(

In Germany we say "Glück im Unglück" (luck in bad luck, or "could have been worse") and it seems you had a lot of both (especially luck).

Glad you're not hurt! What a story...

In Sweden we have the exact same saying: "Tur i oturen".

Given what COULD have happened, what actually happened seems rather mild. Not that it sucks less to have a million drenched pieces of hardware, but...

Thanks for everyone's support. The KS 14C is destroyed! I just opened it up as  water flowed out. All of the electronic gear is in bags covered with rice.

So glad you are OK @Rehab1!

When I heard you in another thread talking about a horrible accident I just assumed that you had been riding your newly repaired ACM and had a cutout or something, but obviously this was worse!  Glad no one was badly hurt.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks for everyone's support. The KS 14C is destroyed! I just opened it up as  water flowed out. All of the electronic gear is in bags covered with rice.

That's an amazing amount of damage to the KS14. Wasn't it only under water for a couple of hours? Maybe the batteries somehow contributed to the corrosion? That sucks man.

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's an amazing amount of damage to the KS14. Wasn't it only under water for a couple of hours? Maybe the batteries somehow contributed to the corrosion? That sucks man.

Yes the battery terminals and Mosfets  are all corroded. I suppose there were electrical discharges and arcing going on while it was under water! 

37 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes the battery terminals and Mosfets  are all corroded. I suppose there were electrical discharges and arcing going on while it was under water! 

Looking on the bright side, you'll finally get insurance to cover an EUC failure :D

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Looking on the bright side, you'll finally get insurance to cover an EUC failure :D

Something happened to me yesterday. I have lost all enthusiasm to ride. 

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Hopefully this will pass, although I don't like the tone of your message :crying:  Give it time, there's no rush.

A near death experience can shake a person up.  Did you get checked out by the emerg docs yet?  Maybe check out the urgent care centre or drop-in clinic to make sure you're okay.  All that adrenaline can peak during stressful times, and the return to normal levels can definitely affect one's mood.

I think we've all been there in one form or another.  I hope the wife's not giving you a hard time about the recent series of events.  Women (and men!)  can often aggravate a situation when it's not necessary nor an appropriate time to.  I think they tend to be overcome with their feelings about the current state of affairs, and they have to express it rather than be supportive and understanding.  Often it comes out in a less than positive fashion.

It's good to take a break from things every now and then.  Too much of a good thing can also be bad.  I think you'll be back in the saddle again in no time when you're ready, and if not, that's okay too.  Realizing that riding around on one wheel risking life and limb to Chinese hardware and electronics and trusting your safety to several little magnets and electromagnets all trying to balance you while moving at high speeds over various terrain can be questionable for anyone.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I think you might well still be in shock. It is not at all unusual to go into a form of shock-depression, and it can feel like you're okay when in reality you're not. Well I don't know you well enough to say it is so, but just give it time - if the urge to ride comes back, all is well and good, if not, that's okay too.

Take care, that's what's important.

22 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

What was suppose to be a great Father's Day turned ugly! My neighbor was helping me launch my jet ski into our lake. Everything was going smooth after I backed the trailer down the ramp. I then let him hop in the driver's seat to pull away from the ramp as I began pushing the jet ski into the water. All of the sudden my truck started rolling backwards towards me. I jumped out of the way and ended up between the truck's rear fender and the wooden dock. Dumb move as I was trapped! My truck continued to roll backwards crushing my chest between the dock and the rear fender. 

Both my neighbor and I are safe but my wife is pissed at me for not going to the emergency room for a chest X-ray. I suppose I should get checked out after looking at the big dent my chest put in the fender but I feel fine. The other dent in the fender is from my hand pressing against the metal attempting to get free!

My truck is probably totaled after being submerged for an hour. If that is not bad enough my wife's new KS 14C, my drone and new goggles, camera equipment, iPhone, all EUC chargers.. all gone. This was a bad hit today but it could have been much worse. We are alive!  :clap3:The material items can always be replaced! 

Here is some footage I shot while I was still in shock talking about my truck. 

Holy crap, what is that truck?  It says Dodge Rebel is that a special edition?  First one I've seen, looks badass!  Minor damage, lake water is not corrosive, (except for small electronics like electric unicycles)  That Kingsong is kaput!

My older brother got his Mustang stuck in the river bottom right before a big rain, it was completely submerged for a day, after my dad paid a farmer to pull it to dry ground with his tractor, he attached a tow rope and pulled it home while I steered.  Took hours to wipe off about an 1/16 inch of silt, but after changing the fluids, the 1966 Mustang still ran and was sold later.  Hey, wait a minute, why was I the one who cleaned it up, and not the older brother that caused the problem in the first place?  I don't remember him helping much, too bad I didn't ask him, too late now.

Looks like the truck had the rain sensing wipers LOL.

Archived