KS-14S or KS-16/S

Fellonium

12 hours ago, Sophia said:

can anyone help? Trying to decide between KS 14s or 16s... about to buy one as a beginner. I'm female, 1.73m tall, 52yrs, average weight, live in a busy, crowded part of London, hope to use this as regular local transport and for fun and travels. I've read all about stability, pavement bumps, easier learning on a 16, wobbles on 14 etc. The lower price and agility of the 14 really appeals to me but the 16 is so popular .. still don't know what to get. thanks

Hi, Sophia.  Welcome to the forum.  I hope you enjoy your wheel, whichever you get.

Are you far from Norwich?  There are some women riders there who also may have some insight.  

36 minutes ago, Sophia said:

thanks for that ...i'm in London which is why i'm having trouble deciding as not sure exactly how i'll use it most yet but it seems the 16" is much more popular

Yes, the 16" is the most popular by far, from what I read over the last year or so.  Noticeably more comfortable and stable going over small bumps and rough ground.

42 minutes ago, Sophia said:

thanks for that ...i'm in London which is why i'm having trouble deciding as not sure exactly how i'll use it most yet but it seems the 16" is much more popular

It might be worth contacting Project42: https://proj42.co.uk/ I think they have a physical store in London. Weight might well be an issue for you ( it is for me ?) so if you are able to physically feel and lift the wheels and get an idea of the size that might well change your mind. A trolley handle is a must (IMHO) and makes (say) pushing the wheel through Waterloo Station a doddle, but stairs and such like still need it to be carried.

Also will you use it a lot for last mile, I.e. tube, bus, train and ride it at the end? You may find a 14” much easier to carry and fit under a seat, etc in that case - it is the reason I went for a 14”. Having said that my now quite old KS-14C is quite blocky, they newer 16” and 14” are much slimmer and easier to slide into places. 

If last mile isn’t how you intend using it a 16” is probably a better bet and will still fit in a (say) supermarket trolley if you go shopping with it - a quick pop down to the nearest Lidl between major shops is a common use for my wheel.

We did have one lady who sold a 16” wheel very quickly as she struggled to even lift it into the boot of a car, but I think she was particularly weak and she was very embarrassed to admit that was why she was selling!

Thanks.. just emailed project 42 again. I'm not especially weak, also this summer and hoping to use it to explore hills and tracks which makes me wonder whether 16 would be better to start with then i might be braver on the busy streets on a smaller wheel and there's also the issue of kerbs and potholes. 

2 minutes ago, Sophia said:

Thanks.. just emailed project 42 again. I'm not especially weak, also this summer and hoping to use it to explore hills and tracks which makes me wonder whether 16 would be better to start with then i might be braver on the busy streets on a smaller wheel and there's also the issue of kerbs and potholes. 

For that sort of use I think everyone here would recommend going to 16”.

Try @vladmarks on this forum if you have trouble reaching Project 42, he is with them I believe.

On 3/16/2018 at 5:06 AM, Sophia said:

I know you were looking for a Kingsong, but this Inmotion V8 16 inch wheel is for sale in London.  I think the price went down some.

20 hours ago, steve454 said:

I know you were looking for a Kingsong, but this Inmotion V8 16 inch wheel is for sale in London.  I think the price went down some.

Thanks steve454 and Siggy for meeting me so quickly and the try out..hope your jacket survived. The fun starts next week

On 3/16/2018 at 9:57 AM, steve454 said:

Yes, the 16" is the most popular by far, from what I read over the last year or so.  Noticeably more comfortable and stable going over small bumps and rough ground.

35 minutes ago, Sophia said:

Thanks steve454 and Siggy for meeting me so quickly and the try out..hope your jacket survived. The fun starts next week

pad up your wheel.......and yourself......but mostly your wheel ?

1 hour ago, Sophia said:

That's great!  

The V8 has a good reputation for quality and performance.

1 minute ago, Sophia said:

hi paddy -what foam shall i use?

to be honest if you're just starting out (you are, right?) no need for anything other than bubble-wrap and sellotape. Yeah your wheel will look stupid but who cares. Last thing you want is for you to spend all that time mastering your new wheel, only to have it look like it's done two tours of Afghanistan by the time you can comfortably/effortlessly ride.

I'm in Hyde Park most weekends when the weather is good. Buzz me sometime if/when you are bringing it out. ?

• 3 months later...

14D/S

-very nimble, quick turns

-lots of fun, good for tricks / jumping up gutters, recreation

-feels 'more in touch' with the ground

-very responsive, quick acceleration

16S

-larger wheel, more stable 

-beginner friendly 

-better for commuting

-would be hard to jump up a gutter due to weight

These are my thoughts on the 14 and 16 inch King Song

I'm a newbie (well haven't purchased a wheel yet) and just demo'ed both a 14D and 16S today. I know how to ride a standard unicycle and do wheelies on a mountain bike so I was able to pick up the balance aspect very quickly. 

I'm a relatively small guy (169cm and wt 66kg)

I will end up buying a 14S because it's quicker, more playful (I don't intend to use it for serious commuting) and a bit cheaper.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone :)

46 minutes ago, Gezza said:

...I will end up buying a 14S because it's quicker...

Its not true. I tried both and KS16S is definitely faster and has more acceleration than KS14S.
KS14S max speed 30km/h max motor power 2400W vs KS16S max speed 35km/h max motor power 3000W.
My advice before choosing one read about KS14S throttling and maybe thing about: GW Tesla, MCM5 or my favorite Rockwheel GT16 ?

Thanks @Marty Backe 

@Gezza here is my 2 cents on helping you with your decision... 

First, this is how I progressed so you understand why I am saying what I am... I first bought a 14D, then I bought a 16S about a month later, then I bought a 18S about a month later, I now have a Tesla also which came last week, my MCM5 is on the boat supposedly from China right now...

The 14S is a great choice, I have the D and am a little dissapointed because of the speed and it throttles back at 50%... the S has a bigger battery and throttles back at 30%. top speed is 18mph on both. I absolutely love the 16S, it has a top speed of 21mph and is a GREAT, COMFORTABLE, and pretty quick wheel. I bought the Tesla because I want more top speed (30mph). The GW quality is not as good as KS, but they are little speed demons and super nimble. If you feel speed is important and you want a 14" wheel, the MCM5 is something to consider, but for learning the KS would be the way to go...

Archived