KS-14S or KS-16/S

Fellonium

Hi All

I've been gathering a lot of information about electric unicycles. Reading/watching reviews, considering reputations etc. in several places. I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time without ever registering, just soaking up the information. However, I've finally come to reach the decision that I'd like to buy one of these electric unicycles, mostly for commuting, though maybe down the line or at the same time for leisure purposes as well.

After checking up on a bunch of things, I came to the conclusion that I should probably try to purchase a KingSong. I'd like the range to be something around 40km, however, I'm fairly tall and certainly no lightweight (probably 95kg once fully loaded with gear), so there is no way I'll reach the actual distances promised in the specs, which I assume are reached in optimal conditions with a person weighing 60kg or so. That being said, I'm going to assume I'll need a battery capacity of around 680Wh as far as common ratings go.

This leaves me with a few options and even after reading and watching for months (some of the models in my list weren't even on the market when I started my research), I still can't figure out what would be the best fit: a KS-16 680Wh/840Wh, a KS-16S 680Wh/840Wh (I'm not even certain if there is a 680Wh version available for this, some places say there is, some say there isn't) or a KS-14S 680Wh, those seem to be the options that seem to suit me best. At first glance, I would suspect the KS-14D won't offer the range I require.

1. For my range requirements, would there be any benefit going to 840Wh, as compared to 680Wh? Or any other benefits to a larger battery capacity? I'm hoping this purchase will last me at least 2 years with enough range for bi-daily usage for commuting purposes (winter excluded), range of the commute is about 25km, there and back, so 40km range would seem adequate.

2. What does the difference between a 14" and a 16" feel like? From what I read 16" should be more stable, but 14" should be more agile, how noticeable is this difference, is it worth considering or would both do fine under normal circumstances and is it just something you need to get used to? I've seen people do stairs with these unicycles, would that be easier on a 16" or does it make no difference?

3. Considering that I'm a complete novice user, are the above mentioned models actually ok to start learning or am I going to ruin them? I don't care that much about the aesthetic aspects as in scratches and so on, so long as the functionality and durability isn't compromised. I'm foreseeing a learning curve of at most 1 month before I can start to use it as a regular commute vehicle, daily practice of course, with protective gear, potentially some protective mousse around the unicycle itself.

4. How do I go about actually purchasing one? I've been looking around to find a decent place to buy one. There doesn't seem to be any locally. If I go online and look for European webshops, they charge ridiculous prices compared to elsewhere, as in 50% markup. I've looked on aliexpress, but I've never purchased anything on there and I have no idea how reliable these shops are, the prices certainly are a lot lower, but some of these shops say they're selling a certain model and then from the specs and pictures and even names it looks like that isn't the right model at all. Some mix and match models, so you have no idea what it is you're going to end up with. Furthermore, what are the chances that if you buy one of these things, that it breaks during the first few months? Does anyone have any experience with that? I'm guessing aftersales support directly from China isn't the easiest thing, not to mention mailing costs from here to there are about €200 it would seem. I don't mind getting my own hands dirty though, so if they can simply send free replacement parts, that could work. Long story short: what would be the most reliable way of purchasing one of these unicycles without it costing me more than an arm and a leg extra compared to prices I see directly from China. Can you purchase these straight from the factory? Is that a reliable way to do it? Are the prices reasonable if done that way?

Is there anything I'm missing, or do you have any special advice you would like to mention on top of the questions above? Which unicycle would you recommend?

Thank you for your assistance, with any luck, I'll soon be able to become an active contributing member of this pioneer community.

wow,

so many questions! First welcome to the forum..but sorry its late i take my answers short:

1. from my experience get the biggest batterie available....even with that commite range and your weight

2. 16 is much mor stable, 14 in my view is more of a trick unicycle...so get 16 or 18 inch

3.from what you said....go for the Ks16s 840wh...long range...much safety....and no...you want ruin it...pack it in rubber tape...all fine!

4. from my view: as a beginner it is not bad to buy from Ks France or Ks Germany/1radwerkstatt.de.....if there are ever any problems ....they have perfect service! yes, they are much more expensive than ali sellers....but in case of warranty...they are there!

if you want to go aliexpress...i ordered 3! wheels there...no probs for me... but be warned: if there ever goes  something wrong warranty wise....you might have to deal with that problems! aliexpress has a buyer protection ...so thats not the problem...but the aftersale Service in case of a Problem!

so good night....conclusion: you choosed good wheels/ks16s is a burner....14s is a bit to agile for a beginner...my view

c u

5 hours ago, Fellonium said:

I'm fairly tall and certainly no lightweight (probably 95kg once fully loaded with gear)

For such size and measures - do not bother with 14 inch - get 16 inch 

Probably the best wheel on the market now is KS16S - looks the same as KS16 from outside but inside - it is whole new wheel inside - new mainbord, new motor, new pedals, new side leds ... etc  -improved a lot.  I have made over 250km in the first week of use - and I confirm what I have said before.

Also - I have no time now to answer in details - see here 

I still consider myself a wheel newbie, just hit the 90km mark today on my KS-16S, so still cursing at max 20 km/h.

3) I did not use any protective padding, started to learn on grass, so that was very gentle to wheel. But i have had to make emergency jump offs on asphalt so i have a some scratches on my wheel, but the shell is still intact.

4) I went with 1radwerkstatt as we have no local King Song dealers in Sweden, too me the after sale support was a big factor when deciding where to buy, i think it is more of a "when" i need support instead of a "if". I went with the 8A charger deal, and man that charger is a beast if you want to charge your wheel quickly.

6 hours ago, Vislike said:

i think it is more of a "when" i need support instead of a "if". I went with the 8A charger deal, and man that charger is a beast if you want to charge your wheel quickly.

- I hope that unless You break something there should be no major service issues with KS16S in warranty period...   There is not many reports in general about quality issues with Kingsong, and this is their top of the line product..

- Can You please confirm that 1RadWerkstatt suggested / provided You with the 8A charger for KS16S?   This is interesting to know ... 

With the 70 km range I see not so many occasions to need fast charging, as it will in some way decrease the life of the batteries (even if charging is still below 1C) but it would be good to know that 1RadWerkstatt tested and approved such solution.  Unless You go for the trip outside the city I see no so many chances to make more than 60 km in 1 day (and for inexperienced users it will be big physical effort) . With 5k km experience - I can do 60-80 km / day but I feel a bit tired after such trip. (I have made around 300 km in less than 10 days now of owning KS16S now)

I use charge doctor (on daily basis charging it only to 90% at for me it is usually more than enough range, and every week/10 charges - charge it once to 100%) - so In emergency cases I can use 2 pcs of 2Amp chargers in parallel to get the wheel charged quicker.nn

@Lukasz Yes Chris at 1RadWerkstatt told me it would be no problem to use a 8A charger with the 840wh battery in the 16S. The charge connector on the wheel is replaced with a four pin connector instead of the standard three pin. The package also included the standard 2A charger modified to fit the new connector. The battery indicator in the King Song app showed 91% when the 8A charger stopped. So i will have to use the original 2A charger if at want to charge it to full and balance the cells.

Thanks for your answers everyone. The consensus seems to be that the KS-16S would be the best pick here. That leaves me with where to buy one for a reasonable price. I hear ks-france or germany (1radwerkstatt), aliexpress seems to have worked as well. As far as European shops go, it seems to be hard to find any which have actual stock of this product.

@Lukasz You didn't mention where you bought yours. Would you mind sharing that?

(I have no problem paying a premium for a European shop btw, but If I see prices which are 50% markup, I consider it a rip-off, even more so considering they are probably getting them at lower prices than advertised to regular consumers elsewhere. The most extra I consider reasonable would be about 25%.)

I had the same doubt like you. KS14S or KS16S? Finally I decided to buy KS14S because KS16S is appreciably bigger than KS14S and I want my wheel to be agile to go the bus, cinema,... In fact, I'm already waiting to receive it and I'm looking forward to ride it.

However, owing to your weight and height buying KS16S it will be the best option for you. I'm very tall too (1,85 m) but my weight is 73 Kg. (22 kg less than you). So KS16S 840Wh will fit you the best.

12 hours ago, Fellonium said:

(I have no problem paying a premium for a European shop btw, but If I see prices which are 50% markup, I consider it a rip-off, even more so considering they are probably getting them at lower prices than advertised to regular consumers elsewhere. The most extra I consider reasonable would be about 25%.)

One thing you should take into account when looking at the China/Aliexpress-prices: you may need to pay import tax + your local VAT on top of the shop-price and shipping when the wheel is imported into Europe (the retailers do, so the price at which they sell the wheel to you is wheel factory price + shipping + import taxes + VAT + their own profit margin). That said, I've heard that some of the Ali-shops include the import tax (and maybe VAT?) in the price and handle the importing through the courier, but you better check it up front if you end up ordering from outside EU-area.

The only item I have ordered from Aliexpress that was above the minimum price that's taxed (around 22€ here) was a small tabletop-CNC. The original price for the item was 128€, but with shipping and courier charges + import tax + VAT, the final price was around 240€. I knew it beforehand, but if you haven't taken that into account, it might not be a nice surprise when you get the import tax + VAT -bill from the courier before they release the package to you.

I don't think 680Wh would be enough if you aim for 40km. I weigh 91kg, and while I might be able to push my 520Wh 16" Lhotz up to 30km, it wouldn't be that fun power saving the whole trip. 20km goes fine without worry, so that's what I plan my trips for. Then again, I prefer a low tire pressure of 2.3 bars, which surely decreases the distance.

I have only used my 16" IPS Lhotz, and once tried to ride my brother's 14" IPS Zero. The Zero felt so wobbly and unstable that I was too afraid to make a turn. My brother is already planning for atleast a 16" wheel after only 3 months with a 14".

I have tested KS14 few days ago and for me it is just not the "right thing"  Maybe I am to much used to the 16" so I do not "admire" 14" enough.., but for me it looks like good wheel for the ladies, or for those for whom size matters. In my opinion  - it is not THAT much smaller  to be worth to sacrifice better holes/curbs handling, speed, etc. See comparison  between KS14 and KS16S below

I'm late to the discussion and agree that if those are your two choices, the KS16 is best. I just wanted to add that you'll probably be lucky to get 40km on any KingSong wheel other than the KS18. My riding weight is ~80kg and I can get 56km on a ~800wh battery wheel, with the last few miles in limp mode. Your additional weight will reduce that range. If you are willing to limit your speed to 24km/h max than you can extend your range a fair amount.

19 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

Has anyone actually got their hands on a 14s? Is there an eta on any company's shipping of them?

Ours should be arriving mid-July. I'll try to do comprehensive comparison as soon as possible. 

My assumption is it would be similar to V5F+/V8 comparison, where the 16 inch can offer more motor output, sustained speed and better road/off-road experience, whereas the 14 inch would win on maneuverability, price mark and compact design. 

Just to add to the stats: with 85kg I'm easily getting around 45-50km on a 680Wh KS 16B in a single ride (I have done this test often) riding in both flat and uphill that is. I also have the "old" KS 14 (340Wh) and would definitely go for the KS 16 without a doubt. You won't regret it :)

• 8 months later...

can anyone help? Trying to decide between KS 14s or 16s... about to buy one as a beginner. I'm female, 1.73m tall, 52yrs, average weight, live in a busy, crowded part of London, hope to use this as regular local transport and for fun and travels. I've read all about stability, pavement bumps, easier learning on a 16, wobbles on 14 etc. The lower price and agility of the 14 really appeals to me but the 16 is so popular .. still don't know what to get. thanks

6 minutes ago, Sophia said:

that's the UK government for you...they prefer to choke us with diesel fumes! i take my chances.. another girl rides round here ...i'll let you know later :}

There's nothing specific in the UK law about them. Most police have either ignored me or been intrigued. There is one guy that's told me to leave the park before but he's apparently a wanker to everyone (skaters etc).

To be honest I'm kind of hoping euc riders STOP writing letters to MPs etc because the more mainstream these things become, the easier it will be for the government, lazy as they are, to just ban them. Banning is a whole lot easier than creating and maintaining new legislation.

19 minutes ago, Sophia said:

that's the UK government for you...they prefer to choke us with diesel fumes! i take my chances.. another girl rides round here ...i'll let you know later :}

My obligation was to warn you, in case you overlooked this aspect, because as I know in the UK the low is strictly observed. 

We, in Bulgaria, have more freedom :)

Thanks..as far as i know you can ride in bike lanes and there are supercycle highways being built everywhere. i  agree with Paddy..less said the better at present. This country is completely backward about air quality.  I've only seen one wheel in Tottenham and everyone rides their bikes on the pavement here. Still not 100% whether to get 14 or 16 KS. 

6 hours ago, Sophia said:

can anyone help? Trying to decide between KS 14s or 16s... about to buy one as a beginner. I'm female, 1.73m tall, 52yrs, average weight, live in a busy, crowded part of London, hope to use this as regular local transport and for fun and travels. I've read all about stability, pavement bumps, easier learning on a 16, wobbles on 14 etc. The lower price and agility of the 14 really appeals to me but the 16 is so popular .. still don't know what to get. thanks

Don't forget weight. The lighter weight of the KS14S will be appreciated by you every time it has to be carried. Personally, I think the KS14S is a fantastic wheel (I own one and have put almost 400-miles on it). Very versatile and a fun wheel to ride. The trolley handle is great. I use mine just about every day.

I would go with your gut, and get the 14S. 

4 hours ago, Sophia said:

Thanks..as far as i know you can ride in bike lanes and there are supercycle highways being built everywhere.

Sorry, a common misconception see the below thread. Bottom line anything powered but not having usable peddles is considered a motor vehicle.

4 hours ago, Sophia said:

and everyone rides their bikes on the pavement here.

....and that is the saving grace, cycling on the pavement (sidewalk) is also entirely illegal under the 1835 Road Traffic Act (although I believe max fine is just £50 ) Do you prosecute cyclists and end up killing them on roads full of half asleep motorists on their phones or turn a blind eye, helped by not having the manpower to actually police this. The police who cannot be bothered to deal with pavement cyclists will not be bothered to deal with Personal Electric Vehicles either.

Archived